Best defense thread

ChimpGrip

USC 2008 was the most underrated defense ever with Pete Carroll, Nick Holt, & Ken Norton Jr.

Rey Maualuga was the best defensive player in CFB & they had 2 other 1st team All Americans in Brian Cushing & Taylor Mays, with Clay Matthews being the 4th best player on the defense...

All 11 starters made an NFL roster & they have 3 potential NFL Hall of Famers. 

Held offenses under 10 points in 10 out of 13 games & never gave up more than 27 points. 

I may be bias but that that defense was as good or better than any defense I've ever seen...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mje44 said:

USC 2008 was the most underrated defense ever with Pete Carroll, Nick Holt, & Ken Norton Jr.

Rey Maualuga was the best defensive player in CFB & they had 2 other 1st team All Americans in Brian Cushing & Taylor Mays, with Clay Matthews being the 4th best player on the defense...

All 11 starters made an NFL roster & they have 3 potential NFL Hall of Famers. 

Held offenses under 10 points in 10 out of 13 games & never gave up more than 27 points. 

I may be bias but that that defense was as good or better than any defense I've ever seen...

Imagine USC, UF, OU, and one other team in a four team playoff in 2008. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

05 Texas vs 08 Florida.... who wins?

2010 auburn vs 05 USC.... who wins?

I'd probably go Florida in 08. Urban Meyer with the greatest college QB ever & NFL talent everywhere. 

& USC 05. Only big game that Pete Carroll lost in 9yrs at USC was against UT, which they had multiple opportunities to win

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

05 Texas vs 08 Florida.... who wins?

2010 auburn vs 05 USC.... who wins?

How about-

2018 Clemson vs 04 USC 

2016 Clemson vs 2010 Auburn 

2016 Alabama vs 2010 Auburn 

2017 Oklahoma vs 2004 USC

And would any of the Oregon teams from 2009-2015 beat 2015 Clemson?

12 hours ago, mje44 said:

I'd probably go Florida in 08. Urban Meyer with the greatest college QB ever & NFL talent everywhere. 

& USC 05. Only big game that Pete Carroll lost in 9yrs at USC was against UT, which they had multiple opportunities to win

Greatest college qb EVER? Now that's bold. 

And you don't think Cam would get it done against Reggie Bush and company? 

11 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

How about-

2018 Clemson vs 04 USC 

2016 Clemson vs 2010 Auburn 

2016 Alabama vs 2010 Auburn 

2017 Oklahoma vs 2004 USC

And would any of the Oregon teams from 2009-2015 beat 2015 Clemson?

Yikes! Let me think...... 

1. 2018 clemson in a close one

2. 2016 clemson in a thriller

3. 2016 Bama (Cam puts on one helluva performance tho)

4. Probably 04 USC because OU's defense in 2017 was ass

Would any  Oregon teams beat 2015 clemson? Wow..... Now this is a tough one. I feel like the Oregon teams that had DeAnthony Thomas would give Clemson a lot of fits. I wasn't the biggest fan of Darron Thomas, but I loved Jeremiah Masoli at the helm. I really don't know, fam.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Greatest college qb EVER? Now that's bold. 

And you don't think Cam would get it done against Reggie Bush and company? 

Who was better in college QB than Tim Tebow?? I can't think of one

Pete Carroll > Gene Chizik any day of week. Pete was 26-1 in out of conference games, 4-0 against SEC (dominated Auburn twice). Plus USC had 10 draft picks & 2 Heismans. Auburn had 4 draft picks that year. Oregon team they beat was overrated.  

35 minutes ago, mje44 said:

Pete Carroll > Gene Chizik any day of week. Pete was 26-1 in out of conference games, 4-0 against SEC (dominated Auburn twice). Plus USC had 10 draft picks & 2 Heismans. Auburn had 4 draft picks that year. Oregon team they beat was overrated.  

Let's see... Out of Cam Newton, Deshaun Watson, Michael Vick, Johnny Manziel, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Lamar Jackson, Jameis, Kyler, Baker, Colt Brennan, Marcus Mariota, you think Tim regins supreme over all these guys? 

40 minutes ago, mje44 said:

I'll give you Pete Carroll over Gene. I don't think Oregon was overrrated the year they lost to auburn tho. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Let's see... Out of Cam Newton, Deshaun Watson, Michael Vick, Johnny Manziel, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Lamar Jackson, Jameis, Kyler, Baker, Colt Brennan, Marcus Mariota, you think Tim regins supreme over all these guys? 

He wasn't the greatest NFL prospect or wasn't the most prolific passer, but Hesiman,  2x National Champ, 2x All American, 2x SEC POY, 3x All SEC, & 35-6 as a starter is pretty tough to beat.

15 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

I'll give you Pete Carroll over Gene. I don't think Oregon was overrrated the year they lost to auburn tho. 

Fair. Overrated was the wrong word.

Both of those teams just didn't have the NFL loaded rosters of other NC match ups. Off year imo 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mje44 said:

He wasn't the greatest NFL prospect or wasn't the most prolific passer, but Hesiman,  2x National Champ, 2x All American, 2x SEC POY, 3x All SEC, & 35-6 as a starter is pretty tough to beat.

Cam did all of this in one season.....with a less talented supporting cast. 

2001 Miami Hurricanes were pretty special. Loaded with NFL talent on both sides of the ball but espec. on defense. with E. Reed, P. Buchannon, V. Wilfork, DJ. Williams, J. Vilma,  B. Mckinnie, S. Taylor, J. McDougle, etc.  Miami beat opponents by an avg. of 33 points a game and they destroyed Nebraska in the Rose Bowl that year. 

7 minutes ago, 1DayPGA said:

2001 Miami Hurricanes were pretty special. Loaded with NFL talent on both sides of the ball but espec. on defense. with E. Reed, P. Buchannon, V. Wilfork, DJ. Williams, J. Vilma,  B. Mckinnie, S. Taylor, J. McDougle, etc.  Miami beat opponents by an avg. of 33 points a game and they destroyed Nebraska in the Rose Bowl that year. 

Most talented team ever, yes. Greatest/best? No. 

Just my opinion ^

• Like 1

Best Defense ever 1983 Tx 3A State Champs Daingerfield Tigers.  One of the best HS Teams in Texas along with 1985 Yates from a defensive perspective.  Not one offensive TD scored on them all year a 4A semi finalist lost to them only TD was a tip pick 6 all year and 2pts off a blocked punt.  End of story The Goat. 

These kids were there in those 82 - 85 Years.  Thomas Everett 2x SB 🏆93 - 94 Cowboys. His brother Eric Everett Philadelphia Eagles and hard hitting 49ers Safety David Whitmore also drafted by NY Giants and won SB in 1990.  I will await a big school that had more than that during that time period or any others that were not stacked Privates.  

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

Best Defense ever 1983 Tx 3A State Champs Daingerfield Tigers.  One of the best HS Teams in Texas along with 1985 Yates from a defensive perspective.  Not one offensive TD scored on them all year a 4A semi finalist lost to them only TD was a tip pick 6 all year and 2pts off a blocked punt.  End of story The Goat. 

These kids were there in those 82 - 85 Years.  Thomas Everett 2x SB 🏆93 - 94 Cowboys. His brother Eric Everett Philadelphia Eagles and hard hitting 49ers Safety David Whitmore also drafted by NY Giants and won SB in 1990.  I will await a big school that had more than that during that time period or any others that were not stacked Privates.  

You shouldn't steal posts.....