Best defense thread

ChimpGrip

3 hours ago, mje44 said:

He wasn't the greatest NFL prospect or wasn't the most prolific passer, but Hesiman,  2x National Champ, 2x All American, 2x SEC POY, 3x All SEC, & 35-6 as a starter is pretty tough to beat.

Why do Florida/$ec fans credit Tebow with 2006? He threw for 358 yards on the season. 

On 5/22/2019 at 4:07 PM, mustangman21 said:

Ummmm How are y'all completely disregarding 1983 Daingerfield? Best defense to ever step foot on the field in my opinion. 

Zero defensive or special teams points allowed in 16 games

National record 14 shutouts 

76 defensive points scored 

PF 631 PA 8 

8 points allowed all season 6 points on a pick 6, two points on a safety snapped over the punters head.

Now i do.  Didn't see this posted.  I have a job.  Didn't read thru the thread.  My apologies

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Best Defense ever 1983 Tx 3A State Champs Daingerfield Tigers.  One of the best HS Teams in Texas along with 1985 Yates from a defensive perspective.  Not one offensive TD scored on them all year a 4A semi finalist lost to them only TD was a tip pick 6 all year and 2pts off a blocked punt.  End of story The Goat. 

These kids were there in those 82 - 85 Years.  Thomas Everett 2x SB 🏆93 - 94 Cowboys. His brother Eric Everett Philadelphia Eagles and hard hitting 49ers Safety David Whitmore also drafted by NY Giants and won SB in 1990.  I will await a big school that had more than that during that time period or any others that were not stacked Privates.  

Do you remember the Alan Weddell La Marque teams? Their '94 and '95 teams were great for the time too. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 12:17 PM, ChimpGrip said:

What are some of the greatest defenses of all time you’ve seen on any level? 

I’ll go first-

2011 Alabama (the most fundamentally sound college defense I have ever seen)

2015 Katy (best HS defense ever)

Feel free to post highlights and such.

surprisingly nobody mentioned the 2003 Camden County Wildcats out of Kingsland GA.  

10 shut outs

gave up 45 points all season

15-0 record

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Colerain 2004.

Starting defense had 2 FG's scored against in the 10 game regular season.

In the 5 game playoffs they gave up 2 Td's and 3 FG's........at least a few of the FGs were the result of poor field position from turnovers. 

Crazy numbers. Too bad we didn’t get to see them play Southlake Carroll that year. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 9:07 AM, mje44 said:

Who was better in college QB than Tim Tebow?? I can't think of one

Pete Carroll > Gene Chizik any day of week. Pete was 26-1 in out of conference games, 4-0 against SEC (dominated Auburn twice). Plus USC had 10 draft picks & 2 Heismans. Auburn had 4 draft picks that year. Oregon team they beat was overrated.  

On 5/23/2019 at 9:45 AM, FootballGuy said:

Let's see... Out of Cam Newton, Deshaun Watson, Michael Vick, Johnny Manziel, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Lamar Jackson, Jameis, Kyler, Baker, Colt Brennan, Marcus Mariota, you think Tim regins supreme over all these guys? 

I can think of one. Not on that list either. From what’s widely considered one of the best of the modern era teams of all time, along with 2001 Miami.

And that’s Tommy Fraizer from Nebraska’s 1995 team.

No, he wasn’t a proficient thrower. But he ran Nebraska’s offense to a ‘T’ and was equally as good as Tebow it not better that season. Had one the greatest runs by a QB ever — especially in a big game.

I also put Vince Young’s 2005 season right up there.

• Like 2

In times when most people watch fictional TV shows, I often watch old football games on Youtube. I can tell you that it can be AGONIZING watching offenses from yesteryear. Usually very basic, very stubborn very much a "defeated" mentality. "When you throw the ball, three things can happen, and two of them are bad." is an old quote uttered by a few famous coaches in the 60s and 70s. So, there are some amazing looking defenses based on stats that, in reality, would get shredded by above average offenses of today. Sad, but true.So, I hesitate to place some defenses as highly on a "best of" list as most do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

In times when most people watch fictional TV shows, I often watch old football games on Youtube. I can tell you that it can be AGONIZING watching offenses from yesteryear. Usually very basic, very stubborn very much a "defeated" mentality. "When you throw the ball, three things can happen, and two of them are bad." is an old quote uttered by a few famous coaches in the 60s and 70s. So, there are some amazing looking defenses based on stats that, in reality, would get shredded by above average offenses of today. Sad, but true.So, I hesitate to place some defenses as highly on a "best of" list as most do.

The offensive game has advanced so much that I am with you. I guess, if we take into consideration the style of play and decade of the defense and don't really try to conflate, we can be kinda fair. 

Most of the defenses of yesteryear get shredded today

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The offensive game has advanced so much that I am with you. I guess, if we take into consideration the style of play and decade of the defense and don't really try to conflate, we can be kinda fair. 

Most of the defenses of yesteryear get shredded today

More like the rule changes favoring the offense have made things much tougher on defenses.

O line can now use their hands

DB can’t jam receiversvas much

No head huntingbin the secondary

cant be to rough on the QB

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

I can think of one. Not on that list either. From what’s widely considered one of the best of the modern era teams of all time, along with 2001 Miami.

And that’s Tommy Fraizer from Nebraska’s 1995 team.

No, he wasn’t a proficient thrower. But he ran Nebraska’s offense to a ‘T’ and was equally as good as Tebow it not better that season. Had one the greatest runs by a QB ever — especially in a big game.

I also put Vince Young’s 2005 season right up there.

They were better than 2001 Miami. Far more dominant and better fundamentals (they were good enough to not let a team the caliber of '01 Boston College nearly beat them).

Not nearly as talented as Miami, but much better on the field, where it really counts.