To The NY/NJ Folk

AztecPadre

26 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Going to the NYC on Sunday and wanted to know how flying in to EWR is and how far of a drive it is from their to NYC?

if EWR still stands for Newark Liberty, then you're not far but traffic SUCKSSSSSSSS any day of the week!!!!!!!!!!!  Somebody can correct the order of my tunnels but from Newark go Jersey Turnpike / I-78east and head towards Holland tunnel, just don't forget to look to your right.  if you miss that tunnel keeping heading north for Liberty tunnel.  You get to see Hobokan and Jersey City on that route, lol.  Safe travels!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Going to the NYC on Sunday and wanted to know how flying in to EWR is and how far of a drive it is from their to NYC?

Newark Airport is average....depending where you are driving into (Middle of Manhattan)?  Probably around 45 minutes assuming decent traffic.  Could also take you 2 hours if traffic is at a standstill for some reason but being from California you should know all about that. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

if EWR still stands for Newark Liberty, then you're not far but traffic SUCKSSSSSSSS any day of the week!!!!!!!!!!!  Somebody can correct the order of my tunnels but from Newark go Jersey Turnpike / I-78east and head towards Holland tunnel, just don't forget to look to your right.  if you miss that tunnel keeping heading north for Liberty tunnel.  You get to see Hobokan and Jersey City on that route, lol.  Safe travels!

Thanks brother.  My options for airports were Newark and JFK, but Newark had the better times to leave for us.  Plus its a last minute trip, so no time to plan.  Would appreciate some advice on nice hotels and must sees, since when I usually go its only for work. 

4 minutes ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

Newark Airport is average....depending where you are driving into (Middle of Manhattan)?  Probably around 45 minutes assuming decent traffic.  Could also take you 2 hours if traffic is at a standstill for some reason but being from California you should know all about that. 

Yeah I am not afraid of traffic.  In the silicon valley, there is plenty to go around.  Any nice hotels and restaurants we should hit up?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Very convenient. Many trains per hour run from the airport to NYC Penn Station. Easy peasy. I’ll be in the city Monday and Tuesday. Let’s grab a beer. 

Sounds pretty easy then.  Going on a father son trip last minute and just making arrangements now.  Need to pick out a nice hotel too.  SO any recommendations would be appreciated.  

5 minutes ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

Newark Airport is average....depending where you are driving into (Middle of Manhattan)?  Probably around 45 minutes.  Could also take you 2 hours if traffic is at a standstill for some reason but being from California you should know all about that. 

Just now, AztecPadre said:

Yeah I am not afraid of traffic.  In the silicon valley, there is plenty to go around.  Any nice hotels and restaurants we should hit up?

Yeah yeah you get little traffic in SJ at work. But  @NYHSFAN33 don’t fall for his bullshit. The terrible traffic in the general area he lives in please. And if you get stuck in it, yep shitty scenary 😂

BE94135C-0A9F-432E-B0B4-8C19003662C8.jpeg

280744FC-03A2-4FC1-8355-C048AA4A2398.jpeg

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Thanks brother.  My options for airports were Newark and JFK, but Newark had the better times to leave for us.  Plus its a last minute trip, so no time to plan.  Would appreciate some advice on nice hotels and must sees, since when I usually go its only for work. 

others more familiar w/ local hotels and restaurants will drop info for you in due time I'm sure.  I hit the local smaller Italian and Mexican restaurants when I'm in those areas.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AztecPadre said:

Sounds pretty easy then.  Going on a father son trip last minute and just making arrangements now.  Need to pick out a nice hotel too.  SO any recommendations would be appreciated.  

if you have extra time, you can NEVER go wrong with a trip up the Hudson to West Point.  Esp w/ your son.  The wife might not get into that stop but a younger kid would for sure.  Catskill area SWEET as well!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sausmann9 said:

others more familiar w/ local hotels and restaurants will drop info for you in due time I'm sure.  I hit the local smaller Italian and Mexican restaurants when I'm in those areas.   

Being that I'm half Sicilian,  I will mos def be hitting little Italy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

if you have extra time, you can NEVER go wrong with a trip up the Hudson to West Point.  Esp w/ your son.  The wife might not get into that stop but a younger kid would for sure.  Catskill area SWEET as well!

We will be there a week, so I will be checking out west point.  

45 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Since that's been answered, only one thing left to discuss... pizza.  :)  

Yea, Cooperstown is a "Hall"  (sorry, been a long week lol)...  never been.   Enjoy your visit.  

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

You are exactly right.....flying into Newark sucks. I guarantee you will be delayed. Than yep jump on the NJ turnpike good luck there and remember to bring lots of money for tolls. Than either take the Holland or Lincoln tunnel and your in NYC. Than your gonna need 40 or so dollars to park your car. 

43 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

Only problem is your not allowed to just be on the base. You have to go to the visitor center and take a tour.