Corky Kell 2019

On 8/21/2019 at 10:51 AM, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

We also have a minor OOS game... 

But it's the 1st one of many. 

Callaway(La Grange,GA)(2A)@ Opelika(AL)(7A)

Last year the Cavaliers beat Opelika 35-21. 

Callaway is always a major factor in 2A. They also have alot of talent for a small school. 

Opelika won 10-7 over Callaway just now. Seen it on twitter 

On 8/21/2019 at 11:21 AM, HawgGoneIt said:

It may get more stale in the future. We can already see it's become an Atlanta regional event where it's lost traction to the point local Atlanta stations are covering it. 

Of course the Colquitt game will have Durwood and Darrell covering it on Cruisin' 94. 

The total seat/ticket sales guarantee thing is why it's so limited in the teams attending. 

If the Benz owners would donate the stadium for the weekend instead of requiring huge rent maybe more the seat requirement goes away and more teams can get in and the state championships wouldn't be moved to an outdoor stadium across the perimeter. 

One of the main reasons I stopped coming down to the Kell was the lack of effort put into the teams invited and the matchups.  The lack of invites of Middle and South GA teams.  Yes I know I know the Kell was originally put together for the Gwinnett teams/Cobb teams but that shit flew out the window when they invited one or two teams from South GA years ago.  Now time to FINALLY turn this event into something GA could be really proud of and show off to the rest of the country.  

Benz owners need to take a page out of the Heinz family playbook and take one for the high school athletes.  Anyone every have the chance to attend the WPIAL (western pa) championships at Heinz field in late November, its on another level.   One $12 ticket for the day (all four games), free stadium parking, big crowds, and a few athletes popping up once in a great while throughout the stadium.   Great time for sure and I know alot has to do with the stadium being on the cheap for that weekend.

• Like 2

for everyone that has every attended a Kell Classic - what are some of your better games you've seen???

all time favorite Kell - 1996 had Warner Robins beating Pope or Wheeler (can't rmemeber which), had the TCC v Marist game and fight in stands, lol.  Valdoooooosta putting it to a heavily favored and eventual state champ Brookwood.  and of course the last game of the night was McEachern getting handled by some slow, undersized, piggies from Oxlies, I mean some Hawgs from Moultrie.   I can't rmember the score of that game but I just rremember the McEachern fans jaws hitting the ground on at least three CC touchdowns.  

2 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

One of the main reasons I stopped coming down to the Kell was the lack of effort put into the teams invited and the matchups.  The lack of invites of Middle and South GA teams.  Yes I know I know the Kell was originally put together for the Gwinnett teams/Cobb teams but that shit flew out the window when they invited one or two teams from South GA years ago.  Now time to FINALLY turn this event into something GA could be really proud of and show off to the rest of the country.  

Benz owners need to take a page out of the Heinz family playbook and take one for the high school athletes.  Anyone every have the chance to attend the WPIAL (western pa) championships at Heinz field in late November, its on another level.   One $12 ticket for the day (all four games), free stadium parking, big crowds, and a few athletes popping up once in a great while throughout the stadium.   Great time for sure and I know alot has to do with the stadium being on the cheap for that weekend.

$30 at the gate now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodchopper said:

$30 at the gate now.

Arthur Blank and cohorts could donate the Benz or rent it for a dollar to the GHSA for 2 weekends a year. Write it off as a donation and never even miss the income.

The GHSA pushed back start of the season this year to eliminate the crossover with soccer but the decision had to be made to evacuate the Benz due to expense anyway. 

28 dollars for a Saturday ticket is ridiculous. Considering the alternative being the half assed football stadium they made out of the old launching pad though... 

Anyway, it's for the high school kids man. Blank and them ought to be ashamed. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Arthur Blank and cohorts could donate the Benz or rent it for a dollar to the GHSA for 2 weekends a year. Write it off as a donation and never even miss the income.

The GHSA pushed back start of the season this year to eliminate the crossover with soccer but the decision had to be made to evacuate the Benz due to expense anyway. 

28 dollars for a Saturday ticket is ridiculous. Considering the alternative being the half assed football stadium they made out of the old launching pad though... 

Anyway, it's for the high school kids man. Blank and them ought to be ashamed. 

Agreed.

They could close off all but one entrance and shut down several concession stands to lower the operating expense.

Too late now though. There may never be another high school game played in the Benz after this weekend. Perhaps the Kell will continue playing there assuming MetroPCS continues footing the bill.