GHSA is fed up!

FootballGuy

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

lol

sooooo, how big does the apartment need to be?

see how silly that approach is? 

You're missing the point. If there is a legit move, fine. Who cares why they moved, athletics or otherwise. If they are moving in name only just to sneak into the district is where people have issues. I used the tiny apt example because if you have a family of 5 or 6 and they rent a one bedroom apt in district, this is clearly a sham. 

Case by case basis.

5 minutes ago, 181pl said:

You're missing the point. If there is a legit move, fine. Who cares why they moved, athletics or otherwise. If they are moving in name only just to sneak into the district is where people have issues. I used the tiny apt example because if you have a family of 5 or 6 and they rent a one bedroom apt in district, this is clearly a sham. 

Case by case basis.

not missing the point.... try defining legit...

that's what you need to do if you want to stop transfers

as you saw in NJ, Nj just pretty much through their hands up in the air.

It can be that difficult. 

6 minutes ago, noonereal said:

indeed, it was a major step up

still we had teams like Roswell and Mill with very easy paths

and ranking teams like Valdosta and Cartersville? Two teams grossly over valued by soft schedules. 

Get back on topic Nor. You've ruined enough threads with this garbage.

It won't matter whether the top teams play or not when you only have 1 or 2 super teams due to transfers. There is nothing exciting about that. 

Just now, CCBlackhatter said:

Get back on topic Nor. You've ruined enough threads with this garbage.

It won't matter whether the top teams play or not when you only have 1 or 2 super teams due to transfers. There is nothing exciting about that. 

now that was rude, seriously

so your contention is that parity, like we see in the NFL or any major sport, lessens the interest and vitality of the sport? 

If blow outs are preferable, why do people always leave early during a blow out? 

Just now, noonereal said:

now that was rude, seriously

so your contention is that parity, like we see in the NFL or any major sport, lessens the interest and vitality of the sport? 

If blow outs are preferable, why do people always leave early during a blow out? 

Im actually saying quite the contrary.

Competitive balance creates interest in the sport and helps to maintain it.

We are talking transfer policies to keep a level playing field so more teams are competitive and kid's are not losing interest. After all, high school sports provide opportunities to many, so I believe it is important that we maintain that interest.

Worry less about Ga's schedules and focus more on reading the posts you are responding to. You could always start another one of your scheduling threads about Ga or Tx instead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CCBlackhatter said:

We are talking transfer policies to keep a level playing field so more teams are competitive and kid's are not losing interest. After all, high school sports provide opportunities to many, so I believe it is important that we maintain that interest.

Worry less about Ga's schedules and focus more on reading the posts you are responding to. You could always start another one of your scheduling threads about Ga or Tx instead.

When GA schools stop being over valued in polls and play, at least half their schedule vs competitive teams, I'll stop. Till then. Not so much. 

You know who is to blame for all this? 

DJ

Yes GA was traditionally overvalued but it was livable as polls were just pretty sucky in general. But with the birth of OOS play and mass communication/information, there is no excess. 

As far as transfers, how do you stop them? You need a solution, not a complaint. 

2 minutes ago, noonereal said:

When GA schools stop being over valued in polls and play, at least half their schedule vs competitive teams, I'll stop. Till then. Not so much. 

You know who is to blame for all this? 

DJ

Yes GA was traditionally overvalued but it was livable as polls were just pretty sucky in general. But with the birth of OOS play and mass communication/information, there is no excess. 

As far as transfers, how do you stop them? You need a solution, not a complaint. 

That's great, now go talk about that in another thread.

Our current transfer policies are not terrible, the issue is they are not enforced proportionately.

That is the solution, enforce the rules.

Again, read the thread.

Our current transfer policies are not terrible, the issue is they are not enforced proportionately.

Again, read the thread.

so, educate me

what is the rule.

a parent gets an apartment while maintaining another home. I had this situation, nothing to do with schools or sports or anything like that. My kid could have gone to either school district. How is this not OK? 

and, how do you prove it was done JUST FOR ATHLETIC ADVANTAGE? 

so, educate me

what is the rule.

a parent gets an apartment while maintaining another home. I had this situation, nothing to do with schools or sports or anything like that. My kid could have gone to either school district. How is this not OK? 

and, how do you prove it was done JUST FOR ATHLETIC ADVANTAGE? 

https://www.ghsa.net/constitution

As for the rest, I believe your questions have been answered already, and if not in this particular thread, there are a few more on the same topic in recent weeks. You're missing out on pertinent information with your laser beam focus on Ga schedules and rankings.

1 minute ago, CCBlackhatter said:

https://www.ghsa.net/constitution

As for the rest, I believe your questions have been answered already, and if not in this particular thread, there are a few more on the same topic in recent weeks. You're missing out on pertinent information with your laser beam focus on Ga schedules and rankings.

so you won't say.... do you know? Just ball busting or you have no clue? 

21 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Well said. If the same team is a lock to win state every year, it is a big discouragement to participation and fan support. Who in Nevada will ever beat Bishop Gorman again? The answer is nobody unless Nevada removed them from competition or cracked down on their recruiting. They get players from everywhere (like STA and IMG), so no public school outside of about a 15 square mile area in Dade County, Florida, can compete with such super teams. 

so you won't say.... do you know? Just ball busting or you have no clue? 

I do know, but I'm heading off to work, and I do not care to reiterate points previously conveyed because you want to be a bonehead.

You pride yourself in reading and researching topics to form a logical opinion. Why stop now? 

I do know, but I'm heading off to work, and I do not care to reiterate points previously conveyed because you want to be a bonehead.

You pride yourself in reading and researching topics to form a logical opinion. Why stop now? 

I understand about you not having time. 

But, the topic is not important enough to me to "research" 

A short explanation when you have time is fine. 

15 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Again, read the thread.

There are too many loopholes in them. And I don't think implementing new ones with loopholes will work either.

1 minute ago, noonereal said:

I understand about you not having time. 

But, the topic is not important enough to me to "research" 

A short explanation when you have time is fine. 

Great, well if you get bored you can browse the forum (because we know you'll be here) and read up on the various opinions concerning the GHSA and transfer policy.

21 hours ago, SJR 04 said:

So let me see if I understand what's taking place in Georgia and New Jersey. They want to put rules in place that state and penalize student athletes who transfer for athletic advantage, but have zero problems with the schools that want to keep them for athletic advantage??? The hypocrisy is comical. 

I think many are missing the point. You have to "prove" things not just say it's obvious. 

Like in Hawg's examples. Prove what we all suspect. 

That is the problem in NJ. It's the same in GA

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, noonereal said:

I think many are missing the point. You have to "prove" things not just say it's obvious. 

Like in Hawg's examples. Prove what we all suspect. 

That is the problem in NJ. It's the same in GA

This is certainly a problem. Some cases are pretty cut and dried, like the Jamyest Williams tweets about selecting a school for athletic advantage. That should be easy enough to rule on given the tweets. 

Kurt Taylor simply went to Grayson for football season only and hopped back to Newton in time to do spring break with his besties. One semester of school at Grayson. Paid one month of rent at the Grayson district address, showed up at the address for a spot check or two that they were called in advance about. Those appear cut and dried athletically motivated, or violations of the "intent to stay" clause to me. 

Intent to stay is very subjective though. Someone can move in and have the intent to stay but then decide it's not for them and leave. This is where the tabled 1 year rule would have helped as well, but for some reason it got scrapped/tabled. That rule would assure that property taxes were being paid by the family using that school. 

With the GHSA, we have an epic case of the fox guarding the hen house so to speak. If you read the article, the members speaking were mainly from the same area where the largest issues are arising.

It will be the same with the athletic purposes transfer clause they are discussing. Only the cut and dried violations will ever be ruled on. It's far too subjective otherwise. In this case people will just get "smarter" about using twitter or staying for football or whatever after a few get popped.

I do like the idea of PI's investigating some of the more questionable moves much better than "call before you go" spot checks though. That's the only thing I saw in the article that seems like it would help much. 

I saw where you mentioned the two home rule. If you own property at Grayson, and also a home at Valdosta, the one that you homestead exempt will be the school district applicable to you. You can't flippantly change from home to home and expect to play sports in both districts, although academically you are more than welcome to switch schools between those two as much as you want, if I'm not totally mistaken.

12 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

This is certainly a problem. Some cases are pretty cut and dried, like the Jamyest Williams tweets about selecting a school for athletic advantage. That should be easy enough to rule on given the tweets. 

Kurt Taylor simply went to Grayson for football season only and hopped back to Newton in time to do spring break with his besties. One semester of school at Grayson. Paid one month of rent at the Grayson district address, showed up at the address for a spot check or two that they were called in advance about. Those appear cut and dried athletically motivated, or violations of the "intent to stay" clause to me. 

Intent to stay is very subjective though. Someone can move in and have the intent to stay but then decide it's not for them and leave. This is where the tabled 1 year rule would have helped as well, but for some reason it got scrapped/tabled. That rule would assure that property taxes were being paid by the family using that school. 

With the GHSA, we have an epic case of the fox guarding the hen house so to speak. If you read the article, the members speaking were mainly from the same area where the largest issues are arising.

It will be the same with the athletic purposes transfer clause they are discussing. Only the cut and dried violations will ever be ruled on. It's far too subjective otherwise. In this case people will just get "smarter" about using twitter or staying for football or whatever after a few get popped.

I do like the idea of PI's investigating some of the more questionable moves much better than "call before you go" spot checks though. That's the only thing I saw in the article that seems like it would help much. 

I saw where you mentioned the two home rule. If you own property at Grayson, and also a home at Valdosta, the one that you homestead exempt will be the school district applicable to you. You can't flippantly change from home to home and expect to play sports in both districts, although academically you are more than welcome to switch schools between those two as much as you want, if I'm not totally mistaken.

Cut and dry? Not so much. To me anyway. A kid's text? I can interpret anything anyway I need to. I am sure a good lawyer can to.  Being a deadbeat not paying rent has nothing to do with where you live.

PI? how much money we gonna waste?

A kid can go to either school, back and forth but extracurricular actives will be limited to one school?  Makes no sense. (not that I don't believe you, it's just sop wrong if it is the case) 

if I pay property taxes at both addresses I have the damned right to send my kid to either or both, if that were possible. 

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

Cut and dry? Not so much. To me anyway. A kid's text? I can interpret anything anyway I need to. I am sure a good lawyer can to.  Being a deadbeat not paying rent has nothing to do with where you live.

PI? how much money we gonna waste?

A kid can go to either school, back and forth but extracurricular actives will be limited to one school?  Makes no sense. (not that I don't believe you, it's just sop wrong if it is the case) 

if I pay property taxes at both addresses I have the damned right to send my kid to either or both, if that were possible. 

Not all extra-curricular activities, only Varsity level sports as governed by the GHSA. I think they can play subvarsity like B-team or JV etc.

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Renters pay property taxes in Georgia?

(Copied from the bylaws) The following factors, although not conclusive, may be evidence of relinquishment of the former
residence: Selling the residence and vacating it; OR vacating the residence and listing it for sale at
a fair market value; OR vacating the residence and leasing it to another (other than a relative) at fair
market value; OR abandoning the residence and shutting off the unnecessary utilities. NOTE: When
a family claims multiple residences, the residence for which they apply for a homestead exemption
will be declared the primary residence provided the family spends the majority of their time at this
residence.

Switching between the two residences makes the student be considered a "migrant" student. Then this rule applies...

A “migrant student” is a student who transfers into a GHSA school without a bona fide move or without one
of the exceptions listed in by-law 1.62. The student may practice or compete at the sub-varsity level, but may
not compete at the varsity level for one calendar year from the date of his entry into the new school.