GHSA is fed up!

FootballGuy

Here's my take on this subject: These high schools don't own these kids, so why get upset when a highly touted recruit wants to go somewhere else where they have a better chance to win? Now from a competitor point of view, it's a bad look to go join the best instead of trying to trying to beat the best, and that's understood. 

So I don't understand why some of the coaches in Georgia were complaining about Grayson. It's not like they offered these kids scholarships like IMG does.

All in all, just let these young bulls be. 

• Like 2

Clearly there needs to be enforcement of the wording that is already in the GHSA by-laws that states there has to be "intent to stay" 

As the article states, for example, Jamyest Williams went to 3 schools in 4 years and basically announced to the world on twitter that it was for athletic purposes only. There was never intent to stay at any of the schools or districts. The intent was always to find the greenest pasture and hop the fence.

The Taylors rented an apartment in August and never paid rent again. Clearly there was never intent to stay. 

That wording is already present in the by-laws and they just don't enforce it. The GHSA president said that people don't think they are doing anything about it... That's because they're not. 

For instance, what good does it do to make "spot check" home visits to check if the family really is living in the district or not and then have to call them in advance and telegraph that you're checking for compliance? 

8 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Here's my take on this subject: These high schools don't own these kids, so why get upset when a highly touted recruit wants to go somewhere else where they have a better chance to win? Now from a competitor point of view, it's a bad look to go join the best instead of trying to trying to beat the best, and that's understood. 

So I don't understand why some of the coaches in Georgia were complaining about Grayson. It's not like they offered these kids scholarships like IMG does.

I agree to an extent.

You either have to open the flood gates by removing all transfer limitations or enforce the limitations you already have equally. 

If the GHSA is going to enforce the rule(s) on one school, they simply have to use that same interpretation of the rules on all of the schools. As it appears now, they don't do that. They've always had "darlings" that sneak through the system unchecked.

• Like 1

So let me see if I understand what's taking place in Georgia and New Jersey. They want to put rules in place that state and penalize student athletes who transfer for athletic advantage, but have zero problems with the schools that want to keep them for athletic advantage??? The hypocrisy is comical. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SJR 04 said:

So let me see if I understand what's taking place in Georgia and New Jersey. They want to put rules in place that state and penalize student athletes who transfer for athletic advantage, but have zero problems with the schools that want to keep them for athletic advantage??? The hypocrisy is comical. 

For many people it's about tax dollars and others taking advantage of the system. 

6 minutes ago, LeftOnBase said:

How will they prove that the move was for athletic, not academic reasons.....We all know why these 4 star athletes congregate, but if all the parents have to say is...it was for academic purposes?? Maybe I've interpreted the linked article wrong.

There lies the new subjective loophole. 

I mean, some transfers are obvious and flagrantly for athletic purposes. See Jamyest Williams tweets. Kurt Taylor, played football and returned to his old school to graduate. 

Like I said in another post, just enforce the rules you already have. The intent to stay clause in the current by-laws basically covers the same ground as the athletic purposes clause they are considering adding. This is all a smoke screen to make it look like they are trying to do something... more. 

13 minutes ago, LeftOnBase said:

How will they prove that the move was for athletic, not academic reasons.....We all know why these 4 star athletes congregate, but if all the parents have to say is...it was for academic purposes?? Maybe I've interpreted the linked article wrong.

This is what was going on here in California.as long as you kept your mouth shut you transferred.CIF just voted to change the rule so you now can transfer for athletic reasons to eliminate the BS

Just now, SJR 04 said:

In nj will are dealing with the privates for the most part. Definitely not a tax issue in North Jersey. Unless it involves Wayne hills

It's actually a pretty complicated issue here. The school districts get tax dollars from property taxes in their district, and some get optional sales taxes as a supplemental. 

Some parents transfer their kids around but never really move, this they would have to pay fees to the district in lieu of property tax, but they avoid this by lying about living in the district etc. The transfer rules cover that by making a family move into the district, but there are also parts that try to keep an even playing field for the more rural areas vs. these highly transient and fluid areas like the Atlanta area. 

This is where it gets more and more complex. There are layers to the debate over what to do. Money always tends to be first and foremost for school districts and the property owners that fund the district. It's not fair to them to pay a tax for kids that aren't even in the district or only come in to catch a football championship ring and then move along to the next flavor of the month. 

The thing about a a lot of that is, these tax payers may never know what is happening until someone that is more following it for competition purposes brings it to light. Often when they do find out, we start seeing this backlash though. People that don't even have kids or like kids at all but live in the district pay school taxes, so they damn sure don't want to fund a Kurt Taylor championship.

1 hour ago, LeftOnBase said:

As Hawg stated. You do not transfer back to your original school that you attended for 3.5 years if it were bettering yourself academically. Taylor attended Grayson from August to December 2016 and is back at Newton to graduate.

2 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Because THIS is HIGH SCHOOL football, and not AAU! Those clowns in metro could put together top five national powers, EVERY year! Versus teams outside of metro having to scramble for a viable starting 22! Gwinnett county always bragfs about having the greatest feeder system in the COUNTRY! But truth be known, of the twenty five high schools in the county! In any given season, maybe THREE could compete with the farm boys at COLQUITT! ALL because of loading up those schools with the creme de la creme!

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It's actually a pretty complicated issue here. The school districts get tax dollars from property taxes in their district, and some get optional sales taxes as a supplemental. 

Some parents transfer their kids around but never really move, this they would have to pay fees to the district in lieu of property tax, but they avoid this by lying about living in the district etc. The transfer rules cover that by making a family move into the district, but there are also parts that try to keep an even playing field for the more rural areas vs. these highly transient and fluid areas like the Atlanta area. 

This is where it gets more and more complex. There are layers to the debate over what to do. Money always tends to be first and foremost for school districts and the property owners that fund the district. It's not fair to them to pay a tax for kids that aren't even in the district or only come in to catch a football championship ring and then move along to the next flavor of the month. 

The thing about a a lot of that is, these tax payers may never know what is happening until someone that is more following it for competition purposes brings it to light. Often when they do find out, we start seeing this backlash though. People that don't even have kids or like kids at all but live in the district pay school taxes, so they damn sure don't want to fund a Kurt Taylor championship.

Yeah, I've paid school taxes in Georgia, since Moses was in pampers! And I have NEVER had a kid attend school in THIS state!

As an aside, Buford is an example of the PERFECT STORM! They are open enrollment with a very nominal tuition fee! They receive city AND county taxes from Gwinnett and Hall counties. And ESPLOST from both counties as well! And they play in the BUSH LEAGUES of AAAAA!

3 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

although I like the sentiment of your post, the bolded has no business with the rest that you said. In fact, it's a contradiction.

It's a free country, if a kid gets a high school scholarship for a sport or not. I see no difference between Grayson loading up and IMG loading up. Look at TX, they fly in QB's when needed. 

1 hour ago, SJR 04 said:

It really is. 

11 minutes ago, ORabidOne said:

Yeah, I've paid school taxes in Georgia, since Moses was in pampers! And I have NEVER had a kid attend school in THIS state!

As an aside, Buford is an example of the PERFECT STORM! They are open enrollment with a very nominal tuition fee! They receive city AND county taxes from Gwinnett and Hall counties. And ESPLOST from both counties as well! And they play in the BUSH LEAGUES of AAAAA!

Rab..... Shut da hell up LOL. 

3 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

The GHSA should shove it up there ass I cant stand the GHSA now they wanna play all nice and might when theyve been Bullshiting everyone for the past 2 years.... 

This shit started in the early NINETIES! Predominantly white Dunwoody, bought themselves a championship in 1993, when they received FORTY Dekalb county transfers(including TWO ALL Americans)through the Minority to Majority mandate! I thought back then, THERE goes the NEIGHBORHOOD! But their Coach Kelly went on to greener pastures at UGA the next season, and that ploy largely disappeared! Dunwoody has rarely been SQUAT beFORE or SINCE 1993!

24 minutes ago, noonereal said:

although I like the sentiment of your post, the bolded has no business with the rest that you said. In fact, it's a contradiction.

It's a free country, if a kid gets a high school scholarship for a sport or not. I see no difference between Grayson loading up and IMG loading up. Look at TX, they fly in QB's when needed. 

Except that FUCKING GRAYSON has a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP trophy! And IMG is INELIGIBLE to participate in FLAAAAWDA championships! HELL, some states have even refused to play IMG in the future!(Tejas and Georgia, et al.)

Just now, ORabidOne said:

Except that FUCKING GRAYSON has a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP trophy! And IMG is INELIGIBLE to participate in FLAAAAWDA championships! HELL, some states have even refused to play IMG in the future!(Tejas and Georgia, et al.)

isn't that ironic

the two states that are most overrated, refuse to play the best and have no good leagues wont allow IMG to show them up... won't take a chance.

See why I always go after these two states?