Ohio Playoffs Round 3

93CardinalsFan

Just getting it warmed up for Coletrain06 to drop some knowledge...

Division I – Games at 7 p.m., Friday, Nov. 22
Region 1
1 Mentor (12-0) vs. 2 Lakewood St. Edward (11-1) at Parma Byers Field at Robert M. Boulton Stadium

Region 2
1 Springfield (11-1) vs. 3 Dublin Coffman (10-2) at London Bowlus Field

Region 3
4 Groveport-Madison (10-2) vs. 2 Pickerington Central (11-1) at Columbus St. Francis DeSales Alumni Stadium

Region 4
4 Cincinnati Elder (10-2) vs. 3 Cincinnati Colerain (11-1) at Mason Dwire Field at Atrium Stadium

Division II – Games at 7 p.m., Friday, Nov. 22
Region 5
1 Massillon Washington (12-0) vs. 3 Akron Archbishop Hoban (11-1) at the University of Akron InfoCision Stadium-Summa Field

Region 6
1 Avon (12-0) vs. 2 Avon Lake (11-1) at North Ridgeville Ranger Stadium

Region 7
1 Toledo Central Catholic (12-0) vs. 6 Lewis Center Olentangy (7-5) at Tiffin Columbian Frost-Kalnow Stadium

Region 8
1 Cincinnati LaSalle (10-2) vs. 3 Harrison (11-1) at West Chester Lakota West Firebird Stadium

-93CardinalsFan

17 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Just getting it warmed up for Coletrain06 to drop some knowledge...

Division I – Games at 7 p.m., Friday, Nov. 22
Region 1
1 Mentor (12-0) vs. 2 Lakewood St. Edward (11-1) at Parma Byers Field at Robert M. Boulton Stadium

Region 2
1 Springfield (11-1) vs. 3 Dublin Coffman (10-2) at London Bowlus Field

Region 3
4 Groveport-Madison (10-2) vs. 2 Pickerington Central (11-1) at Columbus St. Francis DeSales Alumni Stadium

Region 4
4 Cincinnati Elder (10-2) vs. 3 Cincinnati Colerain (11-1) at Mason Dwire Field at Atrium Stadium

Division II – Games at 7 p.m., Friday, Nov. 22
Region 5
1 Massillon Washington (12-0) vs. 3 Akron Archbishop Hoban (11-1) at the University of Akron InfoCision Stadium-Summa Field

Region 6
1 Avon (12-0) vs. 2 Avon Lake (11-1) at North Ridgeville Ranger Stadium

Region 7
1 Toledo Central Catholic (12-0) vs. 6 Lewis Center Olentangy (7-5) at Tiffin Columbian Frost-Kalnow Stadium

Region 8
1 Cincinnati LaSalle (10-2) vs. 3 Harrison (11-1) at West Chester Lakota West Firebird Stadium

-93CardinalsFan

Thanks man. But you and the crew far surpass me in knowledge. Really appreciate listening to the football knowledge. Learn something new every week.

Really disappointed in how I've covered it this year, but work promotions and traveling/vacations have thrown my schedule out of loop. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

I read earlier that OHSAA announced that Region 4 will play Region 2 and Region 1 will play Region 3. 

That is correct.

Appreciate the kind words.  We try and make the broadcast both informative and compelling.  None of us have any professional training (obviously!) but we care deeply about Colerain football (also obviously!), and sometimes we even make it fun.

This Friday will be one of those "fun" broadcasts I hope.  Really feel like we are playing with house money at this point.

Will be interested to hear your take.

-93CardinalsFan

• Like 1

Region 1 

Mentor vs St. Edward @ Parma HS - Eds 38 Mentor 35

Both teams have rolled through the playoffs so far and are the 2 favorites. They played earlier in the year; a game which Mentor won 29-28. A huge play in that game was when Eds had a snap sail over their punters head and into the endzone for a safety. This put Mentor ahead and was ultimately the difference. Mentor's RB Trobel and QB Kipp had good games.  Eds RB Formani had a great game as well.  

For this matchup, Eds will have their best 2 WR, Foster and Wainwright healthy. As well as LB Hankins, whom was a lil beat up in week 1.  Mentor has been very consistent this year,  while Eds has been a little more inconsistent.  Eds will be better on the Lines and that makes a huge difference, especially in the playoffs.  With a full compliment of WR's I expect Eds offense to look much better than in week 1. While Mentor's Defense is improved,  I don't think it will be enough. 

• Like 1

Excellent slate of games in D1, and the one we've all been waiting for in D2. 

Mentor/St.Edward:  For the second year in a row, Eds gets a chance to avenge a regular season loss to Mentor. These teams last met in week one, and much has changed since then, more so for Eds. O'Malley was making his first varsity start at QB (along with several others on the offense) and was without his expected top target in Mackenzie Wainwright.  A green group of receivers struggled with some drops throughout the game, an errant snap on punt led to a safety, and a late interception sealed the game, a one-point victory for Mentor.  The Eds defense struggled to contain Trobel and Kipp in that meeting (much as they had in last years regular season game), and a hobbled CJ Hankins was noticeably not himself at the MLB position. Since then, the Eagles have run off 11 straight victories, appear relatively healthy, and have Wainwright back in the lineup along with breakout WR and recent Michigan State commit Montorie Foster. On the other side, Mentor has been nothing short of dominant since their comeback victory over Ignatius in week 2. For the first time since their storied class of 2003 (another year in which they were upset by Eds), they are playing very stout on defense. Not any real star power on that side of the ball (with the exception of freshman Brendan Vernon who will be a major recruit down the line), but they just play very well together as a unit. Both teams operate a run-heavy read-option offense, and I look for them to both make the other team prove that they can stop them before opening things up. Eds has to turn Kipp into a passer, an area where he can be inconsistent when pressured. Mentor will have to find a way to contain the full bevy of Eds playmakers that they did not see in week one. Mentor is on a mission to win one for coach Triv in his final season, but I just think the Eagles are more talented overall and will break their hearts again. 

Springfield/DC: It looked to me like it would come down to these two back in week seven when Whitmer got smoked by TCC. I never took Whitmer as a serious threat after that. Both of these programs have produced a number of talented players over the years, but have never been able to get to the big dance. This year they bring some of the best defenses in the state to the table, and i think whichever team can get over the 20 point mark wins. I like Springfield, albeit slightly, here. 

Pick C/Groveport: a rematch from the regular season which saw GM upset PC and give them their only loss of the season. What looked like a huge upset at the time does not appear to be the case at all. GM is legit, and they are doing it with a stiff defensive front led by two-way lineman and Northwestern commit TeRah Edwards, and with a run-heavy offense featuring a three-headed monster in Jalil Underdown, Emmanuel Anthony, and Jashaun McGraw.  Underdown is their shifty, homerun guy. McGraw is a bruising back at 254 lbs. And Anthony is right in between.  They will run these three at you until they can't do it anymore. Controlling the clock and moving the chains will be key to GM knocking off PC again. On the other hand, PC will want to let their playmakers loose, most notably Notre Dame commit Lorenzo Styles. PC has been producing the most talent in central Ohio for years now, and this year isn't any different. Their play has not always matched their talent level though, and they've been up and down at times. In round 1 they barely beat a Reynoldsburg team they crushed just a few weeks earlier. Then they come back last week and play their most complete game of the season and destroy a very solid Olentangy Orange team. I'm counting on the revenge factor and PC finally playing up to their talent level, and I'm going with the Tigers here. 

Colerain/Elder: I stated in the other thread that I was trending towards Colerain in this matchup as their offense had finally found its groove, and their defense having the talent to slow an explosive Elder offense. Obviously the very unfortunate accident to Jaylen Thomas throws a wrench into things. Can Colerain adjust and guys step up in his absence? Will the emotion of losing their teammate help or hurt them? Tough to predict. This was going to be a challenge one way or the other for the Cards with what the Elder offense brings to the table in terms of their offensive line, QB, and pass-catching TE. Ultimately I think the loss of Thomas may effect the continuity the offense had finally developed and Elder comes away with the win here. Pulling for the Cards though. 

Massillon/Hoban: unfortunately some injuries to key players for Hoban have taken some of the luster off this game. Trayanum played some last week but had no burst.  Will another week to heal get him to where he needs to be? I think Alabama TE commit Cayden Clark is done for the year. He's a factor in the both the run game as a blocker and in space catching the ball. The Hoban offense struggled without those guys last week. It also appears their kicker is out, and apparently the backup has no range at all. And as good as Hoban is in their defensive front seven, the secondary has been the soft spot. That is a matchup that Massillon can absolutely exploit with Ballard and Lamp. If Hoban is to be upset, then this is the time to do it, and Massillon is the team that can get it done. I'm going with the Tigers to get the monkey off their back this time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OdbCle said:

Massillon/Hoban: unfortunately some injuries to key players for Hoban have taken some of the luster off this game. Trayanum played some last week but had no burst.  Will another week to heal get him to where he needs to be? I think Alabama TE commit Cayden Clark is done for the year. He's a factor in the both the run game as a blocker and in space catching the ball. The Hoban offense struggled without those guys last week. It also appears their kicker is out, and apparently the backup has no range at all. And as good as Hoban is in their defensive front seven, the secondary has been the soft spot. That is a matchup that Massillon can absolutely exploit with Ballard and Lamp. If Hoban is to be upset, then this is the time to do it, and Massillon is the team that can get it done. I'm going with the Tigers to get the monkey off their back this time. 

Had lunch today with a Hoban contact and yes Clark is done for the season and more. That's a big blow since he plays TE/DE so they are down 2 there.

Trayanum will be playing but not 100% but his 75% is better than most. He also plays LB besides RB so may not play D so another starter down.

An O lineman banged up and questionable so Hoban may be down at least 4 starting positions.

Experience with Hoban but long awaited hunger with the Tigers. Should be a good one. 

Spectrum broadcasting Eds/Mentor game in NE Ohio and Colerain/Elder game in SW Ohio

Those and most others being streamed with Spectrum subscription.

One big game not mentioned will be D2 regional final between Avon/Avon Lake. Avon won week one 13-12. Avon decimated by injuries but still find a way to win and came back against Benedictine last week to win by 3 scores.

• Like 1

Region 4

Colerain vs. Elder @ Mason HS

So far in the playoffs, Colerain has really been playing very good football, and are playing at their peak so far. Colerain was ready for the rematch with Fairfield, and dominated.  Fairfield's McClain was mostly contained all night, and the Colerain Defense played incredible again. The offense came out with a bunch of new wrinkles and different formations.  QB Fredddie Johnson has been making great decisions and reads. Colerain kept feeding Jaylen Thomas and Deshawn Pace to the edge.  Thomas had a huge game and has been the catalyst to sparking the Colerain offense over the last few weeks. Unfortunately,  after the game, Thomas was in a car accident. He was described as lucky to be alive,  and needed surgery to repair his lower body. 

Elder was in a back and forth showdown with X last week, and a late game 70 yd TD run on 4th down by QB Luebbe gave Elder the lead. X drove the length of the field, but couldn't come up with a catch in the endzone on the last play of the game. Luebbe had a big game passing and rushing. 

Elders strength is their massive OLine. They have 3 power 5 commits on the OLine, and have been dominant.  Their QB Luebbe is a great dual threat QB, and is pretty quick. Their Ohio St. Commit TE Joe Royer has been uncoverable and is a favorite target.  Elder's RB's are decent,  but most of their success is due to their OLine, and their QB draws......Colerain's strength is their Run Defense, especially their DLine. The young Colerain secondary has made tremendous strides this season. With both teams lining up strength vs strength it will be fun to see who wins that battle.  Also, I imagine both team's best player will be lining against each other as I would expect Colerain to stick DB Pace on Royer. 

On the other side of the ball,  Elders defense has been a typical Elder Defense. They aren't very big, and struggle with speed......For Colerain, QB Freddie Johnson has really come into his own making great decisions with the ball, but Colerain doesn't have that big bruising FB or the lightning fast RB's that they usually have. The offense struggled for a majority of the season. Jaylen Thomas became the lead rusher for Colerain mid to late season when the coaches committed to having him play both ways.  He had solid speed for his size, would run through tackles,  and had good field vision. That,  in addition to Colerain running DB Pace in the Wildcat or out of the backfield, really sparked the offense. 

Before the loss of Thomas,  Colerain was already an underdog to Elder.  With the loss of Thomas at RB and LB, Colerain will really have to have a monumental effort from players and coaches to pull this one off. Colerain was playing really great recently,  and I really liked their chances with Thomas.  They still are quite capable of winning this game, however with their 2 best LB's injured for the season,  and their best offensive weapon gone,  it's a lot to ask this team. My head says Elder,  but I wont pick against my team if they have a reasonable chance. Ill say Colerain wins it for JT. Colerain 28 Elder 24. 

1 hour ago, Coletrain06 said:

Region 4

Colerain vs. Elder @ Mason HS

Before the loss of Thomas,  Colerain was already an underdog to Elder.  With the loss of Thomas at RB and LB, Colerain will really have to have a monumental effort from players and coaches to pull this one off. Colerain was playing really great recently,  and I really liked their chances with Thomas.  They still are quite capable of winning this game, however with their 2 best LB's injured for the season,  and their best offensive weapon gone,  it's a lot to ask this team. My head says Elder,  but I wont pick against my team if they have a reasonable chance. Ill say Colerain wins it for JT. Colerain 28 Elder 24. 

I think that last paragraph is spot on.  Colerain would need a monumental effort from the defense to slow this team down and hold them under 30 points.  If they can do that, they have a shot...will be real interesting to see how the offense looks without JT in the lineup.

God speed young Cardinals.

-93CardinalsFan

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

I think that last paragraph is spot on.  Colerain would need a monumental effort from the defense to slow this team down and hold them under 30 points.  If they can do that, they have a shot...will be real interesting to see how the offense looks without JT in the lineup.

-93CardinalsFan

Agree with you, and Coletrain06....... so what do I do, took Elder in my pickem's.  Interesting that World Citizen (who I am paired with this week) agree on 14 of our picks, disagree on 5 of our picks (and this game is one of them).  Probably gave him a point here.

Hell, my wife who teaches with a bigElder booster, told me to take the Cards'....what the hell.  You know you need "help" when your wife is giving her perspective....

I was with the Cards' all season.....picked them in both games against Fairfield.  Bet against Elder all season (Indy Cathedral, St Ed's, StX twice).   So what up???  Do not know, so I am going to blame the Impeachment hearings.

Seriously, from a pickem perspective. this was the last game I selected, and went back and forth.  Colerain's defense can slow down anybody, and stop most teams.  Their injured star really did not enter into my decision, as I believe they have depth and can still win without him.  They are really playing well.  Plus, I do not like the color purple.   But, I have seen Elder  "find ways to win late".  They make that one play that turns everything around (Luebbe is always envolved).  I guess it was a hunch.

Bottom line:  Region 4 will be well represented no matter who wins.  Wish them both well (and probably will cost me my spot in the playoffs)..... and the grief I will have to take from my wife.  Pray for me......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

-93CardinalsFan

No matter what happens tonight, this team has already accomplished so much more than anyone in the city thought they would. After the coaching and coordinator changes, and graduating 2/3 of the starters from 2018, a lot of people (anyone from reporters/sportwriters, to locals, to Princeton fans 😂) were saying this would be the end of Colerains dominance. After the scrimmages, some people questioned whether they would even make the playoffs.

Well, here we are today, and not only has Colerain won the GMC and kept their streak intact; not only have they kept their undefeated (21-0) 1st round playoff record intact, but now here they are playing for another Regional championship. It has far surpassed everybodys expectations...everybody's except the players and coaches. Now they get dealt a blow with the loss of JT to car accident injuries after the game last week. The obvious parallels to "Remember The Titans" are not lost on this group. Ive seen a handful of memes already. This team will always be one of my favorites for all these reasons. They already have one helluva story with a good ending. The Cards are now playing with house money and can only make their story even better.

3 hours ago, prepsbill65 said:

Agree with you, and Coletrain06....... so what do I do, took Elder in my pickem's.  Interesting that World Citizen (who I am paired with this week) agree on 14 of our picks, disagree on 5 of our picks (and this game is one of them).  Probably gave him a point here.

Hell, my wife who teaches with a bigElder booster, told me to take the Cards'....what the hell.  You know you need "help" when your wife is giving her perspective....

I was with the Cards' all season.....picked them in both games against Fairfield.  Bet against Elder all season (Indy Cathedral, St Ed's, StX twice).   So what up???  Do not know, so I am going to blame the Impeachment hearings.

Seriously, from a pickem perspective. this was the last game I selected, and went back and forth.  Colerain's defense can slow down anybody, and stop most teams.  Their injured star really did not enter into my decision, as I believe they have depth and can still win without him.  They are really playing well.  Plus, I do not like the color purple.   But, I have seen Elder  "find ways to win late".  They make that one play that turns everything around (Luebbe is always envolved).  I guess it was a hunch.

Bottom line:  Region 4 will be well represented no matter who wins.  Wish them both well (and probably will cost me my spot in the playoffs)..... and the grief I will have to take from my wife.  Pray for me......

I've said Elder was the best team in the region since about week 5 so I'll stay with that but It's a true tossup.  It should be a good game.

3 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

No matter what happens tonight, this team has already accomplished so much more than anyone in the city thought they would. After the coaching and coordinator changes, and graduating 2/3 of the starters from 2018, a lot of people (anyone from reporters/sportwriters, to locals, to Princeton fans 😂) were saying this would be the end of Colerains dominance. After the scrimmages, some people questioned whether they would even make the playoffs.

Well, here we are today, and not only has Colerain won the GMC and kept their streak intact; not only have they kept their undefeated (21-0) 1st round playoff record intact, but now here they are playing for another Regional championship. It has far surpassed everybodys expectations...everybody's except the players and coaches. Now they get dealt a blow with the loss of JT to car accident injuries after the game last week. The obvious parallels to "Remember The Titans" are not lost on this group. Ive seen a handful of memes already. This team will always be one of my favorites for all these reasons. They already have one helluva story with a good ending. The Cards are now playing with house money and can only make their story even better.

Agreed. It's been a great year.