St. Xavier (OH) 14 v. St. Ignatius (OH) 28 FINAL

PrepGridiron

Battle of Northern and Southern Ohio  

21 members have voted

1. 1. St. X or St. Ignatius

• St. X
    • St. Ignatius

In a rematch of last year's Division I final, this game could be an early preview of this year's championship. St. Xavier two weeks removed from their impressive win over LaSalle have looked good and have balance on both sides of the ball. On the other side, St. Ignatius is coming off a loss to another GCL team and looks to rebound. 

Here is another breakdown courtesy of @Coletrain06 and @OdbCle 

X @ Ignatius - Ignatius is coming off a somewhat stunning loss to a reeling Moeller team on their third string QB. They struggled with ball security all game and turned it over 3 times.  Their defense was gashed by Colin Thurman for 227 yards on the ground. Last week they got a closer than expected game against GlenOak, and don't appear to be trending in the right direction heading into their two biggest games of the year. X does have to make the long trip up to Cleveland this year, and this is a rivalry game, but X is clearly the superior team. 

• Like 1

X's defense appears strong this year, so I think Iggy will have to keep X in a low-scoring affair in order to win. That won't be easy, as Chase Wolf has been on a tear, and X also has some effective RBs if the Bombers need be to go to the running game (2 or 3 kids averaging around 5 ypc).

• Like 1

Agree with concha.  X defense will make the difference.  Do not feel the 4 plus hour bus ride will be a concern as these teams trade travel miles every other year. Weather should not be a concern either.  I threw out St Ignatius performance of last week against Moeller.  Totally uncharacteristic of a Coach Kyle team, yet Big Moe has too much talent to play they way they have before last weeks upset.  Playing at a neutral site certainly help Moeller last week.  But both X and Moe make the long trip this week.  Should give us a much better understanding of just where all 4 teams are today.   Look for both StX and St. Ed's to win in the 10-14 point range.  Think that is very realistic.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, prepsbill65 said:

Agree with concha.  X defense will make the difference.  Do not feel the 4 plus hour bus ride will be a concern as these teams trade travel miles every other year. Weather should not be a concern either.  I threw out St Ignatius performance of last week against Moeller.  Totally uncharacteristic of a Coach Kyle team, yet Big Moe has too much talent to play they way they have before last weeks upset.  Playing at a neutral site certainly help Moeller last week.  But both X and Moe make the long trip this week.  Should give us a much better understanding of just where all 4 teams are today.   Look for both StX and St. Ed's to win in the 10-14 point range.  Think that is very realistic.

I agree that the sloppy performance by Ignatius last week against Moeller may be an outlier, but they have been trending down for a few weeks now. This years version of the Wildcats is solid, but just not as good as last year.  They certainly aren't as good along the defensive line and at linebacker (with the exception of talented junior LB Tommy Eichenberg). They have good talent in the secondary, but have a tendency to have breakdowns in coverage that lead to big plays.  The o-line is once again massive, and they have two solid RB's in Bobinski and Floyd, but QB play has been spotty as of late and they turn the ball over too much. They need to make a massive about-face the next few weeks if they hope to make any noise in the playoffs. 

X on the other hand is getting tremendous QB play from Wolf and their defense just doesn't give up many points. Normally the trip up or down I-71 is the great equalizer in these GCL v. Cleveland Catholic match-ups, but X is actually 6-2 on the road since 2000. They've lost to Ignatius more times at home. The only reason I can see Ignatius keeping this close is because these two coaches know each other's tendencies so well. However, I too see this as at least a two score victory for X. 

4 hours ago, PrepGridiron said:

In a rematch of last year's Division I final, this game could be an early preview of this year's championship. St. Xavier two weeks removed from their impressive win over LaSalle have looked good and have balance on both sides of the ball. On the other side, St. Ignatius is coming off a loss to another GCL team and looks to rebound. 

Here is another breakdown courtesy of @Coletrain06 and @OdbCle 

X @ Ignatius - Ignatius is coming off a somewhat stunning loss to a reeling Moeller team on their third string QB. They struggled with ball security all game and turned it over 3 times.  Their defense was gashed by Colin Thurman for 227 yards on the ground. Last week they got a closer than expected game against GlenOak, and don't appear to be trending in the right direction heading into their two biggest games of the year. X does have to make the long trip up to Cleveland this year, and this is a rivalry game, but X is clearly the superior team. 

Nice to see at least ONE relevant game a season in the Buckaneer State!

3 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

It's a Maxpreps top 10'game 

along with the Eds- Moeller game

2 games in Ohio

It's funny how Chip talks shit. He's from Louisiana. I'd figure he should be glad to have a link to watch some decent football.

This is the track equivalent of Louisiana football...

14 hours ago, PrepGridiron said:

Ha! IMO, there are actually a lot of similarities between GA 7A and OH D1 this year. 

I think you are right to an extent. 

If you watch film from Georgia at 2/3's or half speed a lot of Ohio teams look similar to 7A. Do you have your video player set up so that the Ohio film is sped up or the Georgia film slowed down? 

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think you are right to an extent. 

If you watch film from Georgia at 2/3's or half speed a lot of Ohio teams look similar to 7A. Do you have your video player set up so that the Ohio film is sped up or the Georgia film slowed down? 

:ph34r:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Hawg done went and made a funny!!!!!!!!!!!

HTTP3d3dy5mYWlyZmF4dW5kZXJncm91bmQuY29tL

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Huge match up for the Week 8 Tiers as well.  Iggy tryna recover from a loss and X tryna prove they can hang with the big boys after the 0-34 SJB debacle of 2016.

Good compelling match out of Ohio.  

X isn't tryna prove any such thing given that the lopsided result in the SJB game was not a surprise and was pretty much predicted by those who knew what was going on.

• Like 2