Geico Games?

181pl

1 minute ago, badrouter said:

The Geico game specifically is a separate discussion from scheduling for the regular season. 

A game on ESPN covered by Paragon would very likely cost Lakeland $0.

You're trying to justify your position by manipulating the facts instead of allowing the facts to dictate your position.

1 hour ago, The Guru said:

Because playing a tough opponent does nothing whatsoever to make the program better.

See Lakeland 2019.

The 2019 Lakeland team appears to have been affected adversely by not having anyone capable of challenging them on the schedule. No arguments there.

But, if you cross off teams they were likely to encounter in the 7A playoffs and also nix IMG, exactly which other Florida teams could Lakeland have scheduled that would have made much of a difference? You really can't further your argument by listing big name schools who happened to have somewhat down seasons, because Manatee is also one such program.

Truth is, in this crazy time of transfers, its hard to know exactly what kind of team you're going to have in a coming year. Lakeland got a slew of transfers well after the schedule for the year had been made. They were also impacted by the fact that three district games were to be road games and they had already agreed to play city school Jenkins on the road. Add in the road game at Manatee, and they had 5 road games. They weren't going to play fewer home games then road games. That's silliness for a program of Lakeland's stature.  So, there were some limitations there. And who knows what kind of team they'll have next year with all of the graduations.

5 minutes ago, The Guru said:

A game on ESPN covered by Paragon would very likely cost Lakeland $0.

You're trying to justify your position by manipulating the facts instead of allowing the facts to dictate your position.

No, I'm simply pointing out that the Geico game is a separate discussion. That one would be the 16th game, after winning a state title, with very little prep time for either the coaches or school admin. MOST schools decline this offer, be it because their state associations see it as problematic and ban member schools, or because the individual schools turn it down.

3 minutes ago, badrouter said:

No, I'm simply pointing out that the Geico game is a separate discussion. That one would be the 16th game, after winning a state title, with very little prep time for either the coaches or school admin. MOST schools decline this offer, be it because their state associations see it as problematic and ban member schools, or because the individual schools turn it down.

Any game on ESPN covered by Paragon would cost $0.

Regular season too.

10 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Then why did you proceed to make an argument after this?

You mean the argument that followed in the specific post you quoted? To simply provide more context to the situation. They would have been helped by having one or two elite opponents. But, making that happen wouldn't have been as easy as you may want to suggest. Again, who else could they have scheduled in state that would have posed a significant challenge once you eliminate probable 7A playoff foes and IMG? The Manatee game wasn't going to be cancelled. The programs have a long history, a relationship, and the game figures to get one of the larger crowds they could draw.

2 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Any game on ESPN covered by Paragon would cost $0.

Regular season too.

So, now we're narrowing it down specifically to games on ESPN covered by Paragon? That's not the same thing as "playing someone tough".

I think there was one such option out there, but would have required Lakeland ditch Manatee, which wasn't going to happen for reasons I mentioned. Manatee has had nationally ranked, state title teams in three separate decades over Castle's career. And that doesn't include the decade where Manatee knocked off nationally rated STA in 2009. The idea that Manatee is automatically garbage now, and, predictably, for the rest of time, is a stupid myth. 

2 minutes ago, badrouter said:

So, now we're narrowing it down specifically to games on ESPN covered by Paragon? That's not the same thing as "playing someone tough".

An ESPN game would very likely include a tough opponent.

That's just one of several avenues.

Lakeland simply does not want to play anybody tough.

Stop trying to rationalize this simple concept.

• Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, The Guru said:

An ESPN game would very likely include a tough opponent.

That's just one of several avenues.

Lakeland simply does not want to play anybody tough.

Stop trying to rationalize this simple concept.

My understanding is they weren't outright dismissing the ESPN game. They were simply given an option that involved cancelling a game they weren't going to cancel.

Just now, badrouter said:

And so were Carol City and Mandarin. Hence my eager anticipation (not holding my breath) of your answer to my question.

Again, a case of you weaseling out of the topic.

STA picked up Mandarin on a whim, midseason, as a replacement and probably traveled farther for that single game than Lakeland has in the last two seasons combined.

What question?

You're such a sleazy evader that I can never be sure what you're actually saying.

• Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, badrouter said:

My understanding is they weren't outright dismissing the ESPN game. They were simply given an option that involved cancelling a game they weren't going to cancel.

🙄

One good thing that will come of this loss is that you'll disappear soon.

The last thing we need is another DLSPop, horsefly type evader who is so homerific that he never utters a single genuine word or phrase on this forum.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, The Guru said:

Again, a case of you weaseling out of the topic.

STA picked up Mandarin on a whim, midseason, as a replacement and probably traveled farther for that single game than Lakeland has in the last two seasons combined.

What question?

You're such a sleazy evader that I can never be sure what you're actually saying.

What other Florida teams could Lakeland have scheduled that would have given them a game, given they were going to nix any probable 7A playoff opponents and IMG? The list is surely a short one, especially given that big name programs who disappointed this season don't further the argument on the grounds that Manatee is no different than any of them.

What other Florida teams could Lakeland have scheduled that would have given them a game, given they were going to nix any probable 7A playoff opponents and IMG? The list is surely a short one, especially given that big name programs who disappointed this season don't further the argument on the grounds that Manatee is no different than any of them.

Play any of the top 8A, 6A, 5A, 4A, etc. teams.

Play an OOS team on Paragon's dime.

This is not difficult.

It's just that Lakeland didn't want to do any of it.

• Thumbs Down 1

10 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Play any of the top 8A, 6A, 5A, 4A, etc. teams.

Play an OOS team on Paragon's dime.

This is not difficult.

It's just that Lakeland didn't want to do any of it.

NONE of the top 8A teams would have made any difference. Osceola was one of the top 8A teams and the score was 43-0 a few minutes into the 3rd quarter. 6A wouldn't have been much different, either. The only name someone like you might give them credit for is Central. That's it. And once they lost their 3rd game-by 20 points to C. Madonna-you'd have revoked their credit for that one, too. In 5A, Northwestern is the only team that would have meant anything. 4A would probably be limited to BTW. 

There's a reason why you still haven't offered any names: A closer look reveals we'd be left with a grand, aggregate total of two (2) Dade county teams at most to choose from. Anyone else would've been discredited. I don't know what the scheduling possibilities looked like with those two teams.

NONE of the top 8A teams would have made any difference. Osceola was one of the top 8A teams and the score was 43-0 a few minutes into the 3rd quarter.

Osceola lost to Steinbrenner at home.

Goes to show the kind of teams that you think are "tough."

And Lakeland didn't play them. So stop saying that they did.

• Thumbs Down 1