Coach Negro 2nd Q&A

PrepGridiron

3 minutes ago, Coach Negro said:

Love playing the teams out of New Jersey.  They are really good programs that are exceptionally well coached.  We've played Don Bosco and St. Peter's Prep thus far.  We are 2-0 vs. those guys but we got lucky with this being Coach Sabella's first year and we played St. Peter's the year after Windbush and Fitzpatrick left so I'm sure they want another crack at us.  

I don't know what you mean by BNU.....sorry.

Big North United 

maybe not next year but in 2 years SJR wants Sauce SJB vs SJR 2021 or should I say syrup😝

Coach, Thank you for all that you and your program have been doing to promote HS football, especially from an Out of State competition standpoint.

Also your new stadium is an incredible venue.

You mentioned NIke football involvement, do you have hope that $ funds will be available to help some of the power public teams travel OOS.  Such as Cen10 or the Big Georgia teams?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Big North United Conference: Don Bosco, Bergen Catholic, St Peters, St Jose's, etc....

Got it thanks!  Some of the most well coached programs in the country and they do not hesitate playing anybody.  I like and respect programs like these.  They don't hid behind travel restrictions or money issues.  Bottom line if you want to play some good teams then make it work.  That is what we are trying to do.  Nothing can stop us but ourselves to let's go and play some big boys.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Coach, Thank you for all that you and your program have been doing to promote HS football, especially from an Out of State competition standpoint.

Also your new stadium is an incredible venue.

You mentioned NIke football involvement, do you have hope that $ funds will be available to help some of the power public teams travel OOS.  Such as Cen10 or the Big Georgia teams?

Thanks Sammy.....good job to you and the Swordsman Nation.  Back to the finals for you guys.  Coach Zepeda worked for me a few years ago and he is a really good man.  Like what he is doing over there.

Appreciate the stadium words.  Its a beautiful place for sure.

I am hopeful that Nike will help facilitate travel for non-private schools in the future.  They are taking a much more active stance with  the high school programs and moving away from the individual programs like the Elite 11 and the Opening and moving towards the team concept events which we will be announcing soon.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Coach, How do you feel about the 2020 Braves.  What do you see as the team strengths?

I am super excited about our 2020 team.  We return a lot and I mean a lot of talent.  We have three starting offensive lineman returning, two receivers, two tight ends, and three running backs who are little freaks.  Defensively we return three defensive lineman (in the finals we played two sophomores and a freshman there), two starting linebackers. and a starting corner and nickleback.

We need to improve in some areas and need to create some depth, but I am excited about our future.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

It’s all good , your doing big things out there, you guys earned everything you achieved no doubt about that

merry Christmas coach 

Thank you so much for your words and kind respects for our program.  I really appreciate it.  We are just trying to be one of the best teams in the country year in and year out.  We want to continue to do what we are doing!

Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

This is a very good question and a troubling trend.  I think that the biggest solution is to have the high school programs more involved in the youth programs like they have in Texas.  You never hear about declining numbers in Texas or at least I haven't ever heard of them.  I think that it is hard in California because there are so many other things to do in California for young kids.

I think that state organizations like the CIF need to get more involved in the youth football programs.  

Finally I think that these youth programs need to unify.  There are so many different organizations they spread the talent so thin in terms of the coaching.  We need to unify with the good quality youth coaches and help them grow their brand and dispel all the negative rumors about the dangers of youth football.  If taught correctly youth football is a beautiful activity for young men.

• Like 4

There were a few things that we held back offensively and maybe a coverage or plan or two we held back defensively in the first game.  Don't get me wrong if we could have done some things differently to win the game we would have but we didn't empty the playbook in the first game.  They just beat us and were the better team that night.  

As I mentioned above we took Kody Epps away and made Bryce play left handed by not allowing him to run and scramble to extend plays.  We sunk back and forced him to make throws late in the game with the pressure on.  He made some but we also were able to get to him and cause some picks and sacks.  This was a huge adjustment defensively.  We also sure'd up our pass protection and that was as huge adjustment cause it gave DJ an additional second to find the open guy against their man coverage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Coach, when you attend the National HS football coaches annual convention, which breakout sessions, and coach talks do you enjoy most?  Do you seek to attend sessions by specific coaches?  If so, which coaches?

I like listening to the High School guys as much as I can.  They are the innovators and they are the ones who are so creative and open to new ideas.  So I would say I seek out the top high school guys and try to learn as much as I can from them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Coach, SJB has become known for their offensive line play.  What is your Strength and conditioning philosophy for developing these big kids into powerful athletic linemen?

Lift, lift, lift, and then lift some more.....ha, ha!  No in all seriousness it is about three main components that accompany lifting.  They need to have great triple joint extension in the weight room for explosiveness, they need to be very flexible and be able to be a knee bender and not a waist bender, and they have to practice good nutritional habits to avoid from getting too heavy.  '

With a spread offense you need offensive lineman who are all of these traits and that can move to the next level with speed and agility.  So in the off-season we work on all of these skills with our lineman.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Just now, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Bro it’s Christmas Eve , let coach spend the rest of day with his Family 

Thanks guys!  I am about to head out but I will come on anytime to talk ball with knowledgeable and open minded football people.  Please always remember this is only high school football and we are working with minors trying to get them to be successful adults.  

Thanks again for all of your time and questions.  Hope they helped! 

• Thanks 7

• dntn31 unpinned this topic