VFW Demands Apology

DevilDog

It's amazing how many people believed that Multiple rockets fired upon U.S. Troops would magically not cause any Casualties because someone had claimed if they attacked Troops well we would smoke Iran.  They in fact did fire upon troops and hurt them.  So to back down from previous bloviating just claim no injuries just a minor Fireworks display.  Not one of my Military Friends believed that B.S. Hell a Grenade will rattle your damn Brain.   

U.S. veteran group 'expects' Trump apology for brain injury comment

A U.S. war veteran group is "expecting" an apology from U.S. President Donald Trump for his comments that downplayed traumatic brain injuries, an official said on Friday.

Speaking in Davos on Wednesday, Trump said he did not consider the brain injuries suffered by U.S. service members in Iran's recent attack on a base in Iraq as serious.

But the Veterans of Foreign Wars group "expects an apology from the president to our service men and women for his misguided remarks," William Schmitz, VFW National Commander said in a statement on Friday.'

The White House did not immediately respond to request for comment on Saturday.

Earlier on Friday the Pentagon said 34 service members had been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury following missile strikes by Iran on a base in Iraq, a number higher than the military had previously announced.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars, a group with 1.6 million members, said traumatic brain injury (TBI) is serious and cannot be taken lightly. "TBI is known to cause depression, memory loss, severe headaches, dizziness and fatigue — all injuries that come with both short- and long-term effects," the group said.

Veterans of Foreign Wars, a prominent organization advocating for US military veterans, has called for Donald Trump to apologize for remarks downplaying brain injuries recently suffered by nearly three dozen American service members in Iraq.

Trump downplays brain injuries suffered by US troops in Iran missile strike

The group was joined by several other US veterans’ organizations, criticizing Trump’s remarks and saying they showed a lack of understanding of injuries and what US troops face in overseas conflicts.

The VFW’s statement stems from Trump’s remarks on injuries resulting from a 8 January Iranian missile strike on a US base in Iraq. Thirty-four US soldiers suffered from concussion or traumatic brain injury (TBI) after the strike, which was a reprisal for the US drone strike assassination of the Iranian general Qassem Suleimani. Donald Trump had previously said that the US “suffered no casualties” from the attack.

“Veterans of Foreign Wars cannot stand idle on this matter,” William “Doc” Schmitz, VFW’s National Commander, said in a statement. “TBI is a serious injury and one that cannot be taken lightly. TBI is known to cause depression, memory loss, severe headaches, dizziness and fatigue – all injuries that come with both short- and long-term effects.”

The VFW expects an apology from the president to our service men and women for his misguided remarks. And, we ask that he and the White House join with us in our efforts to educate Americans of the dangers TBI has on these heroes as they protect our great nation in these trying times. Our warriors require our full support more than ever in this challenging environment,” Schmitz said.

I support the Veterans and the Troops over any damn politician especially one who was a coward when he had a chance to serve.  This isn't political it's a slap in the face of injured Soldiers.   I wonder how he would have reacted when the 1st Missile hit. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-veteran-group-expects-trump-221504599.html

Veterans criticize Trump's downplaying of US troops' brain injuries

It is now Trump’s statements after the Iranian attack which have caused upset.

“So far, so good”, Trump said after the strike. “I’m pleased to inform you the American people should be extremely grateful and happy,” Trump said. “No Americans were harmed in last night’s attack by the Iranian regime.

After the Pentagon announced on 16 January that troops were being treated for concussion symptoms, Trump claimed the discrepancy was because he heard about the injuries “numerous days later”. Trump also downplayed the severity, saying, “I heard that they had headaches. And a couple of other things. But I would say, and I can report, it is not very serious.”

Several US veterans’ organizations call for president to apologize for remarks about injuries suffered by service members in Iraq

U.S. soldiers inspect the site where an Iranian missile hit at Ain al-Asad air base in Anbar province

Debris and rubble are seen at the site where an Iranian missile hit at Ain al-Asad air base in Anbar province

U.S. soldiers stand at the site where an Iranian missile hit at Ain al-Asad air base in Anbar province

5 hours ago, Horsefly said:

No, he just misspoke and trivialized the injuries for political gain. 

I will also add traumatic brain injuries are much more severe than bone spurs.  Just sayin... 

Did he really misspeak?  Serious question. Do we have any information that these "TBIs" (traumatic brain injury) that happened are/were anything more than headaches etc? I have extensive experience dealing with traumatic injuries, a TBI can categorized as anything from a headache (likely from concussions as I sure you well know) to being on life support...following a traumatic brain insult. So as you can see, TBI has a very broad definition and SOUNDS worse than headache or concussion. Trump called them headaches (technically a TBI since it followed concussion explosions) because that's likely what he was told. He likely was not told that "we have a bunch of soldiers with traumatic brain injuries". But if there is any evidence that (A) the injuries are worse than concussion headaches or (B) Trump knew that the there were worse injuries than "headaches" and then lied, I'd like to see it and maybe I'll change my stance. But in the meantime, the Trump-led resurrection of the VA will ensure that these soldiers will receive top notch medical care. That you can bet on. 

As for the VFW. I think that they are out of line based upon the information that has been provided thus far. I'm guessing that MOST veterans don't have a problem with his statements, but there is obviously going to be an anti-Trump component that (I bet) is speaking for the whole. I'm pretty sure that Trump isn't going to apologize to appease, nor should he....unless we get more information that supports the "outrage" that some are claiming. 

And lastly. Regardless of his intentions. He wouldn't be the first Prez or politician that engaged in damage control. The whole democratic party is currently engaged in it. But since its Trump, it's "the sky is falling-type outrage". 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blueliner said:

Now you’re just being silly, DD.🙂

You just did, the pentagon has also stated they were not minor not inconsequential.  

here’s what he should have said:  there were no casualties but reports of non immediate life threatening injuries, my thoughts and prayers to our brave men and women that serve out great military .  That’s it 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Not true about DD imho.

I'd have to agree with this. DD is a legit soldier (HF, thc, Russ, and HF too). I know that he's sincere. But that being said, it is pretty rich that all of a sudden the left are now devout Constitutionalists (you know...that document created by a bunch of old white guys) and staunch military proponents. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

You just did, the pentagon has also stated they were not minor not inconsequential.  

here’s what he should have said:  there were no casualties but reports of non immediate life threatening injuries, my thoughts and prayers to our brave men and women that serve out great military .  That’s it 

Completely fair and acceptable. But it's Trump. He's a knucklehead sometimes (but he's our knucklehead). 🤣

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Blueliner said:

I'd have to agree with this. DD is a legit soldier. I know that he's sincere. But that being said, it is pretty rich that all of a sudden the left are now devout Constitutionalists (you know...that document created by a bunch of old white guys) and staunch military proponents. 

The VFW is far from being left wing.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Completely fair and acceptable. But it's Trump. He's a knucklehead sometimes (but he's our knucklehead). 🤣

That’s pretty much what I said, he’s been caught in the past saying several knuckleheaded things about those with PTSD and POWs.  The latter being sacred members of our military. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

The VFW is far from being left wing.  

Sometimes ya never know. A group can have a general membership that might be X. But the leadership, who's looking after the groups best interest, may be acting in Y capacity. Not saying that is the case here, but it does happen. That said, I will take your word on this one.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Sometimes ya never know. A group can have a general membership that might be X. But the leadership, who's looking after the groups best interest, may be acting in Y capacity. Not saying that is the case here, but it does happen. That said, I will take your word on this one.

Most military org are conservative especially veteran groups that are heavily populated with Nam vets etc. like the VFW.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NotBigdaddybloom said:

Now all of a sudden these asshats are pandering to the military?!?! They, including dd, could care less about any military...especially since most vote conservative! Truth

WTF is wrong with You? I don't care bout the Military.  Yet I trained 5 Platoons of Recruits as a Sr. DI with 1st Recruit Training Battalion,  Served in Both Desert Storm and Shield have a Combat Action Ribbon.  Went ashore at Failaka Island with the 13th MEU aboard LPH-3.  Look it up I'm sure you have no idea where it is.   Have no problem putting my 20 year Career up against someone that clearly loves the Military more than Me like yourself.   I guess the VFW hate it too.  My Cousin was the 1st Dark Green Marine to be on Leatherneck Magazine cover page during the Vietnam War.  My Nephew is in the 82nd AA in Afghanistan right now.  His Father is a  retired CWO4 over a HS ROTC in San Francisco.  My 1st Cousin is at Gitmo in the NAVY.   Yeah my family could care less.   

MY FREAKING AVATAR IS OF A DEVIL DOG 😕  Any idea what that refers to? 

Again WTF is wrong with You?  The Military is a Conservative organization on the surface. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blueliner said:

I'd have to agree with this. DD is a legit soldier (HF, thc, Russ, and HF too). I know that he's sincere. But that being said, it is pretty rich that all of a sudden the left are now devout Constitutionalists (you know...that document created by a bunch of old white guys) and staunch military proponents. 

I don't give a damn abut either Party.  I do give a damn about Military Personnel and their injuries.  I appreciate the remark about a legit Soldier.  I am 100% A United State Marine.  Peace be with You brother.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DevilDog said:

I don't give a damn abut either Party.  I do give a damn about Military Personnel and their injuries.  I appreciate the remark about a legit Soldier.  I am 100% A United State Marine.  Peace be with You brother.

You bet, brother. We all banter back and forth over here,  but I will ALWAYS respect you and your brother soldiers as men and for your commitment to protecting our great nation. I know you weren't a commissioned officer, but I'll still pay you the respect by giving you a hand salute. 😎

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

You bet, brother. We all banter back and forth over here,  but I will ALWAYS respect you and your brother soldiers as men and for your commitment to protecting our great nation. I know you weren't a commissioned officer, but I'll still pay you the respect by giving you a hand salute. 😎

Amen Sir and same to You.  I can take the banter and political shenanigans and differences of opinion on teams.  But my Service to this nation or my feelings on our Military is non negotiable. I always got a kick of out of the few times driving my Brothers POV on base and having people Salute that Blue Base Decal 🤣  I don't ever remember having conversations with other Marines about Political affiliations in Desert Storm.   Matter of fact the Commandant of the Marine Corps meant more to us than the President. 

• Like 2