Reuters: "Slavery not a crime for almost half the countries in the world--study"

Testadura

12 minutes ago, rockinl said:

@DevilDog

@Horsefly

Both of you successful, upper middle class veterans, and I salute you both.

Question....I dont need to go on about the horrors of slavery,  but ponder this.....What do you think your life would be like had it not happened?  I know you wouldnt know any different, but since you do....?

In no way would I ever say slavery was a "good thing", but at least in my mind, many generations will live a better life in America because it did. Am I wrong?

No doubt this country offers many opportunities. I truly love my country. 

However, had my forefathers been able to migrate, like many other subgroups,  to this country and fully participate in the economic development (as opposed to being exploited)  along with full access as citizens (bypass segregation, Jim crowism etc) , it would have been even better.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rockinl said:

@DevilDog

@Horsefly

Both of you successful, upper middle class veterans, and I salute you both.

Question....I dont need to go on about the horrors of slavery,  but ponder this.....What do you think your life would be like had it not happened?  I know you wouldnt know any different, but since you do....?

In no way would I ever say slavery was a "good thing", but at least in my mind, many generations will live a better life in America because it did. Am I wrong?

If I may piggyback off of the Gentleman above that I respect very much. 

I too am grateful for my prosperity here and I love my Country and my State.  Being a descendant of slaves was a hindrance to generational prosperity.  And remember the richest man to ever live was in Fact an African  Mansa Musa of the Mali Empire.  The Portuguese destroyed his empire and subsequently impoverished a whole area.  What I am saying those that would have been doctors, lawyers and builders were instead enslaved.  Africa was the only Continent that had a population not increase for 200 years due to slavery.   From the mid-17th to the mid-19th Century, there was no growth, due to the slave trade and wars between tribes. One estimate sets the direct and indirect loss during this period, as a result of the slave trade, at 100 million people. From the 1850s to the end of World War I, population growth started up again, chiefly influenced by the fact that the slave trade had essentially come to a half and modern medical care had become available on the continent. However, in central Africa, the region which suffered the worst blow from the slave trade, growth was very slow, while in East Africa the population was declining because of wars between colonists and natives

I recently did a study and found that in California the average black American Household has less than 400.00 in savings.  The average African Immigrant has $60,000.   I think I would have been as successful as an Immigrant.  The richest black man in Texas is a Kenyan Oilman.  America is a great Nation that for generations after slavery created laws to still deny African Americans Prosperity.  I am a Military Guy as yourself and the GI BIll and Loans to WWII Vets was instrumental to wealth thru Property.  Guess who they refused loans to. 

This B.S. right here. 

https://www.history.com/news/gi-bill-black-wwii-veterans-benefits

How the GI Bill's Promise Was Denied to a Million Black WWII Veterans

The sweeping bill promised prosperity to veterans. So why didn’t black Americans benefit?

While the GI Bill’s language did not specifically exclude African-American veterans from its benefits, it was structured in a way that ultimately shut doors for the 1.2 million black veterans who had bravely served their country during World War II, in segregated ranks.

Fear of Black Advancement

When lawmakers began drafting the GI Bill in 1944, some Southern Democrats feared that returning black veterans would use public sympathy for veterans to advocate against Jim Crow laws. To make sure the GI Bill largely benefited white people, the southern Democrats drew on tactics they had previously used to ensure that the New Deal helped as few black people as possible.

During the drafting of the law, the chair of the House Veterans Committee, Mississippi Congressman John Rankin, played hardball and insisted that the program be administered by individual states instead of the federal government. He got his way. Rankin was known for his virulent racism: He defended segregation, opposed interracial marriage, and had even proposed legislation to confine, then deport, every person with Japanese heritage during World War II.

I have a greater question how would America look without 350 Years of Free Labor?  Know why the South is still the poorest region.  In 1865 Meridian, MS had more Millionaires than any city in America including  New York City.  Guess why that was?   Nigeria has just as many Black Billionaires as the U.S. (5) and Jay-Z just made the list in 2019.  Overall there are more Black Billionaires outside the U.S.  You can't say that about white Billionaires.  And it's not even Freaking Close. 

When I hear this argument it's like applauding the abused child for succeeding and then telling him see you are just like the other kids.   🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horsefly said:

No doubt this country offers many opportunities. I truly love my country. 

However, had my forefathers been able to migrate, like many other subgroups,  to this country and fully participate in the economic development (as opposed to being exploited)  along with full access as citizens (bypass segregation, Jim crowism etc) , it would have been even better.  

We both know you can't enslave the Brilliant.  A Real Patriot and Hero.  I Absolutely use this man as a Role Model for Success.  Never Capitulate always Educate.  Even when others despise such knowledge.   Just ask old Tommie Jeff about him 😎  This Brother loved America more because he tried to make it uphold the myths it bloviated about.  America has always been a big Shining City on a Hill.  The problem is it never fully acknowledged who was scrubbing the windows and shining the Brass for Free were just as responsible for that Glow. 

File:Ben banneker.jpg

• Like 1

This is a School that atoned for it's misgivings and I applaud Georgetown.  Someone on here recently claimed Catholics had no role in it.  This is  lesson in how to repair things.  

Georgetown to atone for its role in slavery

Georgetown University, the oldest Catholic institution of higher learning in the USA, will take a series of steps to atone for the role that slavery played in its early history, the school’s president is expected to announce Thursday.

As part of the plan, the university will offer a formal apology for the school’s role and create an institute for the study of slavery at what is also the nation’s oldest Jesuit university, according to a working group established to examine Georgetown's historyIt will also offer preferential status in admissions to descendants of the slaves it once kept. Specifically, the university will give the descendants the same advantage that it gives to faculty, staff and alumni.

Georgetown President John J. DeGioia will apologize for the university’s "historical relationship with slavery" and Georgetown will erect a public memorial to the slaves whose labor benefited it.

Over the past several months, university officials at Georgetown have openly spoken about the role that slaves played in keeping it afloat in its early years.“ We want to embrace them as members of our family, DeGioia toldThe Washington Post.

On 3/7/2020 at 1:58 AM, DevilDog said:

This is a School that atoned for it's misgivings and I applaud Georgetown.  Someone on here recently claimed Catholics had no role in it.  This is  lesson in how to repair things.  

Georgetown to atone for its role in slavery

Georgetown University, the oldest Catholic institution of higher learning in the USA, will take a series of steps to atone for the role that slavery played in its early history, the school’s president is expected to announce Thursday.

As part of the plan, the university will offer a formal apology for the school’s role and create an institute for the study of slavery at what is also the nation’s oldest Jesuit university, according to a working group established to examine Georgetown's historyIt will also offer preferential status in admissions to descendants of the slaves it once kept. Specifically, the university will give the descendants the same advantage that it gives to faculty, staff and alumni.

Georgetown President John J. DeGioia will apologize for the university’s "historical relationship with slavery" and Georgetown will erect a public memorial to the slaves whose labor benefited it.

Over the past several months, university officials at Georgetown have openly spoken about the role that slaves played in keeping it afloat in its early years.“ We want to embrace them as members of our family, DeGioia toldThe Washington Post.

It's good to not forget the past and those that made America what it is.   

You ADVOCATE well.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

It's good to not forget the past and those that made America what it is.   

You ADVOCATE well.

Thank you sir.  And I don't blame any current person for any past misdeeds.  I appreciate that you are astute enough to discern the difference.  I have spent a lot of time studying and knowledge is a powerful tool.   I use Benjamin Banneker as a role model.  I was taught by one of the icons of the Civil Rights Movement.  I am 2 degrees removed from Malcolm X and Dr. King that's how important he was.  I know stories from the source.   He said to me "Young Brother you must study and learn".  I quote him:  "A Man can repossess your car and make foreclosure on your home but no man can do either to your mind"  "Make your mind more valuable than both"

Peace be upon you sir and may the path for you be a straight one.  I with all my heart love my Nation.  

The same people that tell me to forget don't get upset over a Rebel flag or statues of Men that supported slavery.  They both exist and prominent to this day.  So I will not accept tutelage till they grow the same angst for those symbols that are an affront to my conscious.  It's as if Jews were presented with Nazi Flags and Statues of Eichman. Himmler and Hitler.   And then when one of them mentions the Holocaust you tell him to shut up and forget it. What type of insanity encompasses a brain that functions like that?

• Thanks 1