The Stock Market

DarterBlue

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Stocks closed up broadly and moderately on lower volume today. In the process, they closed near day highs. In the case of the two NASDAQ indices, they had fluctuated between positive and negative territory all day before making a swift and decisive move in the final half hour. The range of the day’s gains were from .35% on the NASDAQ to .67% on the Russell. Advancing stocks led by margins of 19-12 on the NYSE and 10-7 on the NASDAQ. The day was constructive, especially following the very nice gains scored on Monday. The market seems to be on its way to higher levels and the S&P now has a real shot at scoring all-time highs before the month is done.

Prior to today’s open, LCII reported earnings. Despite the fact that the company beat estimates handily, the stock which opened at all-time highs swiftly reversed. This is generally not a good thing. It is the reaction to an event rather than the event itself that tends to speak to where a stock is going. However, there are two mitigating factors: 1. The company preannounced sales in mid-July the range of which was consistent with reported sales (reported amounts were near the top of the range. 2. The stock had run up over the past two weeks in reaction to the preannouncement. A third factor which ties into item 2, is the fact that despite weakness in the stock today, it was down just under 2.5%, it violated no technical support and very quickly bounced off day lows. Because of this, I will hold it for now. On the day, I closed up $325 or .05%, underperforming the averages. However, earlier I had been down over $5,000 near LCII’s day lows. on the day, NEM, TTD and MDY were my winners. My other five positions were down. However, aside from LCII, the losses were all very small; hence, my closing up on the day.

My GE options getting killed 

26 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Jan 21 

Its getting cheaper by the day. Already lost like 20 bucks on a 30 dollar purchase 

That should not happen. Time value should not waste that quickly on an option that has 5 months of life in it. The only way that seems possible is if the market maker basically cheated you. Hint and advice: Never buy an option at market. Use LIMIT ORDERS.

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

That should not happen. Time value should not waste that quickly on an option that has 5 months of life in it. The only way that seems possible is if the market maker basically cheated you. Hint and advice: Never buy an option at market. Use LIMIT ORDERS.

Idk my brother bought it on robinhood 

He said we've lost like 15 dollars worth of value since yesterday 

Partial Profits: I have placed a limit sell order to dispose of just under 1/3 of my position in TTD, 47 of 147 shares. The limit price is $487. The stock closed at $481 yesterday. There is a high likelihood it will fill as the futures are positive and the stock is volatile with a wide trading range.

The decision is based on the fact that the company reports after the bell on Thursday. Currently I show a profit on the position of approximately 59%. As a result, it now has an oversized weighting in my portfolio. In this game you must generally either book profits on the way up or on the way down (after the position has topped). The decision to do either is always a delicate one which must be evaluated after giving consideration to many factors. 

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Partial Profits: I have placed a limit sell order to dispose of just under 1/3 of my position in TTD, 47 of 147 shares. The limit price is $487. The stock closed at $481 yesterday. There is a high likelihood it will fill as the futures are positive and the stock is volatile with a wide trading range.

The decision is based on the fact that the company reports after the bell on Thursday. Currently I show a profit on the position of approximately 59%. As a result, it now has an oversized weighting in my portfolio. In this game you must generally either book profits on the way up or on the way down (after the position has topped). The decision to do either is always a delicate one which must be evaluated after giving consideration to many factors. 

Sold 47 shares of TTD at prices in the 487 range. Net proceeds of $22,888.51, profits in excess of $8,600 on the 1/3 position sold. I now own 100 shares which I plan to let run if TTD responds favorably to earnings. 

13 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Sold 47 shares of TTD at prices in the 487 range. Net proceeds of $22,888.51, profits in excess of $8,600 on the 1/3 position sold. I now own 100 shares which I plan to let run if TTD responds favorably to earnings. 

My brother 10 call was just covered. Expires Jan 2021. But went over 10 today 

Kgc is the company

16 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

My brother 10 call was just covered. Expires Jan 2021. But went over 10 today 

Kgc is the company

It is now in the money. But did he sell it? I would not have done that. Just because it's in the money does not mean you have to "cover", which means sell, the position. For what it's worth, it seems you were right about gold. This option may well be worth 40 by the time it matures!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

It is now in the money. But did he sell it? I would not have done that. Just because it's in the money does not mean you have to "cover", which means sell, the position. For what it's worth, it seems you were right about gold. This option may well be worth 40 by the time it matures!

He did not sell it. He want it to go as high as possible

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

The election is driving up gold. Too much uncertainty. Gold can hit 2500 or more soon

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

The election is driving up gold. Too much uncertainty. Gold can hit 2500 or more soon

The election is a secondary factor. The primary factor is the dollar's weakness which has been driven by the Fed's easy money and the USA's exploding deficits. While we are the world's premier currency of choice, there is only so much we can do before we drive the price down. Fortunately for us, since our debt is denominated in dollars, it does not lead to an external debt crisis. However, debasing the currency usually has other negative implications. 

12 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

The election is a secondary factor. The primary factor is the dollar's weakness which has been driven by the Fed's easy money and the USA's exploding deficits. While we are the world's premier currency of choice, there is only so much we can do before we drive the price down. Fortunately for us, since our debt is denominated in dollars, it does not lead to an external debt crisis. However, debasing the currency usually has other negative implications. 

I told u 

Its a plan

Drive down the price of a dollar 

Back it up with gold. Gold standard 

I feel like it's happening 

22 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I told u 

Its a plan

Drive down the price of a dollar 

Back it up with gold. Gold standard 

I feel like it's happening 

The Gold standard will never return under Trump. You totally misunderstand him. He is the king of debt who would love zero interest rates forever. He made his off the backs of his creditors. Not a sound money kind of guy!

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

The Gold standard will never return under Trump. You totally misunderstand him. He is the king of debt who would love zero interest rates forever. He made his off the backs of his creditors. Not a sound money kind of guy!

I think a lot of people would love 0 interest rates

Houses are flying off the market. Cars as well

No he's the king of knowing how to use the tax laws to protect his assets. 

When a city like AC goes to shit you file bankruptcy protection and move on

28 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I think a lot of people would love 0 interest rates

Houses are flying off the market. Cars as well

No he's the king of knowing how to use the tax laws to protect his assets. 

When a city like AC goes to shit you file bankruptcy protection and move on

I don't know how to respond to the above. I am shaking my head, really!

14 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I don't know how to respond to the above. I am shaking my head, really!

Can't wrap ur head around facts

Right now due to low interest rates houses are flying off the market 

Go to a car dealership. They can't keep cars in the showroom

Trump got out ac and filed bankruptcy when it went to absolute shit 

Bankruptcy is protection 

Stocks closed broadly and significantly higher on higher volume. At the close, the indices were at or very near day highs. Both NASDAQ indices recorded all time highs and the S&P recorded a bull run high and is now firmly set on taking out its February all time high. The day’s range was from a gain of .26% on the NASDAQ 100 to a gain of 1.91% on the Russell 2000. Secondary stocks had a great day as the Mid Cap index tied the DOW for second place gaining 1.39%. Given the broad nature of the gains, it is unsurprising that breadth was strong. On the NYSE advancing stocks led by 7-3 while on the NASDAQ they led 23-11. Today, was flawless from a bull’s perspective. I can think of nothing to fault it. That it came on poor private sector jobs numbers, is further evidence that we have emerged from the June-July trading range with gusto. All cylinders seem to be firing.

Today, I sold just under 1/3 of my TTD position for $487, for net proceeds of $22,888.51, of which $8,926 represented realized gains. I still own 100 shares of the stock with unrealized gains of 65% of the cost basis. On the day, all my positions were up. The biggest winners were: TTD, MDY and ZM. Marginal winners were NEM, which earlier had been my big winner, LCII and LOW. TEAM and SHOP had solid gains on the day, in excess of 1.5% each. As of today’s close I was up $6,300 or 1.05%, falling in the mid range of the major indices. I now have crossed another threshold of sorts, as my trading capital now stands at an all-time high of $605,432.