The Stock Market

DarterBlue

Stocks closed broadly lower today. Volume declined. At the close, the range of losses was from .49% on the NYSE to 1.33% on the NASDAQ 100. In a sense the day was the opposite of Monday. Despite the broad losses, the advance decline statistics were not particularly bad. Losing stocks did lead on both exchanges, but the damage was not that bad. On the NYSE, losing stocks led by a 16-13 margin. On the NASDAQ, losing stocks led by a margin of 2-1. For a down day it was not especially bad. Volume contracted, the losses were not broad based, and the loss percentages were not that bad. More troubling is that the averages closed right at day lows. For now, I will attribute the losses to skittishness ahead of the Fed’s announcement at 2 pm tomorrow. No change in rates is expected, but the tone of the statement by Chairman Powell, will impact the averages positively or negatively. It seems that the averages are for now chopping around in a trendless fashion. There is no sharp warning as of yet, that the bull run is over. However, further gains, if they are to materialize, may have to wait several days or weeks.

On the day, I lost ground in keeping with my holdings. At the close, 7 of my eight positions were negative as I was down $5,836 or 1.01%. While this still leaves me up for the week, more than half of Monday’s gains were surrendered. My only winner was SHOP, which was up modestly after being up significantly early on. But this one reports before the bell tomorrow, so that will tell the tale. If it sells off on the earnings, I will sell and, hopefully, book a profit. But even if it literally tanks, I will sell regardless of my profit or loss. If it gaps up, I will place a stop limit order to sell 1% below today’s close. If it does not reverse significantly lower then I will obviously keep it. My big losers on the day were TTD and the SPY Options. LCII and MDY had moderate but manageable losses. While, ZM, Team, and LOW had small losses. SHOP reports earnings tomorrow morning while TEAM reports before the bell Thursday and LCII reports early next week on August 4th before the bell.

1 hour ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

@DarterBlue have you ever heard of an iron butterfly, if you have your thoughts?

It is a complex options trade that should only be employed by professional options traders or retail traders with a lot of knowledge of the mechanics of options and a solid foundation in mathematics and statistics. If I were you, I would stay clear until you prove you can trade options profitably consistently over a period of at least a year. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DarterBlue said:

It is a complex options trade that should only be employed by professional options traders or retail traders with a lot of knowledge of the mechanics of options and a solid foundation in mathematics and statistics. If I were you, I would stay clear until you prove you can trade options profitably consistently over a period of at least a year. 

Cool I thought it was simple , I’ll check check latter into this technique later down the road after I got some more time under my belt

5 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Cool I thought it was simple , I’ll check check latter into this technique later down the road after I got some more time under my belt

Remember, kids (babies) first learn to: crawl, then walk and finally run. The same applies here. When you can walk well with options, then you go on to the sprints. If you try and sprint now, you will not make money over the long haul. 

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

Many blacks work in pension jobs here 

Very few in Florida or in the South. If they are lucky they get a 401k. Otherwise no plan at all. If they get a 401k, they have no investment manager, so the legislation does not mean a hill of beans. Further, the legislation affects whites as much or as little as if affects blacks. So, I find the article misleading since it would affect all plan participants in exactly the same way.

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Very few in Florida or in the South. If they are lucky they get a 401k. Otherwise no plan at all. If they get a 401k, they have no investment manager, so the legislation does not mean a hill of beans. Further, the legislation affects whites as much or as little as if affects blacks. So, I find the article misleading since it would affect all plan participants in exactly the same way.

NYC is full of blacks that will have pension. Many of them work for NYC police fire MTA etc etc all have penions. Almost everything in NYC is a union so you get pensions so if this article pans out all of them will be helped 

At about 2:38 pm, I got rid of the SPY September Calls. Net proceeds were $24,758.23 for a profit of $4,759.91 net. The sales prices varied from 414.50 to $14.61. I got rid of all 17 contracts. The net profit was on an initial investment of $19,998.32 for a profit in the 23% range. Although profitable, this was not a good trade on my part. I initiated it too quickly after closing the August SPY Options back in early June. Had I been patient, the percent gain would have been a lot higher, and the holding period a lot shorter. Why did I cover today? Although we are still in an uptrend, we have had a lot of stalling since June 11. With only about seven weeks to run on these options, unless we have a pronounced uptrend from here, the erosion of time value will be a material consideration.

For now, I will bide my time. If the opportunity presents itself, I may by the November or December SPY options sometime in August.  

Stocks closed broadly and significantly higher on higher volume today. The range was from .61% on the lagging DOW to 2.16% on the S&P MID Cap index. Technology and secondary stocks were the stars today. Advancing issues led comfortably on both exchanges to the tune of 4-1 on the NYSE and 23-11 (more than 2-1) on the NASDAQ. The day was markedly bullish and more than atoned for yesterday’s losses. The big question is: can the averages string together another up day tomorrow. Since early June they have had difficulty doing so, despite the uptrend remaining intact.

On the day today, I ended lighter as described below. I closed up $13,480 or 2.36%, handily out legging the market averages. SHOP blew out earnings expectations before the bell and gapped up over $100 per share. While it gave back a good portion of the gains, it still closed up around $68 or 7%. At day highs it was up 12%, but we will take what was given. Consistent with the strategy outlined yesterday, I have held on to the shares. Tomorrow after the bell, TEAM reports its earnings. All my other positions ended in the black today. The best performers were: LCII, MDY, the S&P Options (which I sold) and TTD. Team did well, while ZM and LOW were marginally profitable. At about 2:38 pm, I got rid of the SPY September Calls. Net proceeds were $24,758.23 for a profit of $4,759.91 net. The sales prices varied from 414.50 to $14.61. I got rid of all 17 contracts. The net profit was on an initial investment of $19,998.32 for a profit in the 23% range. Although profitable, this was not a good trade on my part. I initiated it too quickly after closing the August SPY Options back in early June. Had I been patient, the percent gain would have been a lot higher, and the holding period a lot shorter. Why did I cover today? Although we are still in an uptrend, we have had a lot of stalling since June 11. With only about seven weeks to run on these options, unless we have a pronounced uptrend from here, the erosion of time value will be a material consideration.

For now, I will bide my time. If the opportunity presents itself, I may by the November or December SPY options sometime in August.  

1 hour ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

@HSFBfan @DarterBlue have you seen this movie?

I have; good flick. The protagonist almost blew it by over leveraging the position. But in the end, it all worked out. I suspect at the end of this bull market, there will be another great shorting opportunity. But for now, I will continue riding this tiring bull. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I have; good flick. The protagonist almost blew it by over leveraging the position. But in the end, it all worked out. I suspect at the end of this bull market, there will be another great shorting opportunity. But for now, I will continue riding this tiring bull. 

Hey hey hey , don’t ruin it, I’m bout to rent it

22 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Wait a minute

Jetblue is using ultraviolet light to combat corona

I remember a certain current president advocting for that

https://onemileatatime.com/jetblue-ultraviolet-cleaning-system/

There is a difference. POTUS wanted to have people directly exposed to the UV light. Jet Blue, is using the light between flights.