The Stock Market

DarterBlue

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Hey, big Phama has been fueling the the American drug crisis for years, think Purdue Pharma for one. What you guys do not understand, or fail t acknowledge, is that corporations largely will do anything for a buck, legal, or illegal. Their first priority is there bottom line. And why not? The more profits, the more compensation for the executives and the greater the stock price. 

Yea i know how it works. But its good to see someone writing about it and making the public completely aware of it

As kids are dying daily due to drugs in this country big pharma is funding it 

13 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Yea i know how it works. But its good to see someone writing about it and making the public completely aware of it

As kids are dying daily due to drugs in this country big pharma is funding it 

The question not being asked, which really needs to be addressed is: Why do so many Americans feel the need to get drugged up in the first place? For if this can be answered, steps can be taken to address whatever social and or economic factors are driving this need to be high. And, if we can reduce the demand, then the incentive to bring these drugs into the United States will decrease. 

Just now, DarterBlue said:

The question not being asked, which really needs to be addressed is: Why do so many Americans feel the need to get drugged up in the first place? For if this can be answered, steps can be taken to address whatever social and or economic factors are driving this need to be high. And, if we can reduce the demand, then the incentive to bring these drugs into the United States will decrease. 

People get drugged up for several reason or drunk or however else you want to put it

1st...home life. Usually when you have a bad home life or perceive to have a bad home life you turn to an outlet drugs or alcohol is usually the outlet. 

2nd. Ur job. Stress from the job like your home life leads you to things that make you feel good no matter how temporary the feeling. Some people feel that they need to get away from the real world

I would say those 2 are the biggest culprits of the drug use in America. 

I believe our way of life in America is destroying many many people. And if u want ne to explain more I will

38 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

People get drugged up for several reason or drunk or however else you want to put it

1st...home life. Usually when you have a bad home life or perceive to have a bad home life you turn to an outlet drugs or alcohol is usually the outlet. 

2nd. Ur job. Stress from the job like your home life leads you to things that make you feel good no matter how temporary the feeling. Some people feel that they need to get away from the real world

I would say those 2 are the biggest culprits of the drug use in America. 

I believe our way of life in America is destroying many many people. And if u want ne to explain more I will

1. If things are bad, winners turn lemons into lemonade. Taking drugs is not the solution. Finding a way to overcome the bad home life is.

2. For my entire working life, I have had only one, relatively easy job. It was my time at Bank of Jamaica. For while I worked fairly hard, I was not constantly under stress. My jobs before BOJ which were in Jamaica and all my jobs in the USA were pressure cookers. But for what it's worth, I did not turn to drugs as a solution. I was father to two young boys and I was not going to demonstrate to them that dad was a loser, no way, no how. 

I bring the above up not to suggest that they are not real issues, for they are. But when you face adversity, the manly thing to do is face it, not try and hide in a drug or alcohol induced stupor. 

With that said, I do believe there are things that could be done to address the issues you raise and help Americans who other wise will go down the wrong path.  

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

1. If things are bad, winners turn lemons into lemonade. Taking drugs is not the solution. Finding a way to overcome the bad home life is.

2. For my entire working life, I have had only one, relatively easy job. It was my time at Bank of Jamaica. For while I worked fairly hard, I was not constantly under stress. My jobs before BOJ which were in Jamaica and all my jobs in the USA were pressure cookers. But for what it's worth, I did not turn to drugs as a solution. I was father to two young boys and I was not going to demonstrate to them that dad was a loser, no way, no how. 

I bring the above up not to suggest that they are not real issues, for they are. But when you face adversity, the manly thing to do is face it, not try and hide in a drug or alcohol induced stupor. 

With that said, I do believe there are things that could be done to address the issues you raise and help Americans who other wise will go down the wrong path.  

Ok now you went down the path that I was hoping you would go down. It goes with my point of our way of life is killing Americans. 

When you look at American way of life from the age of 5-21 you go to school and for many play sports join clubs etc. But you never really deal with any kind of real stress. If school stresses you out and you don't have some kind of mental illness than something is seriously wrong. School is not stressful. Teachers for the most part are extremely lienant. You miss an assignment dont worry about it hand it in when you can. Flunked a test dont worry you can retake it. You get the point

Now when you get out in the real world those safety nets are gone. Miss a deadline at your job ur written up or fired. Now the finances get involved since you just lost your job. 

I'll continue to say forever for a majority of people school does not get you prepared for the real world. School is a safe no consequences kind of space. 

Now today for many kids the constant connection to their phone and social media is fucking a lot of kids up. They don't like the reaction they want to their posts pics etc they get upset and possibly suicidal. This is how soft mentally we have become 

Stock Sale: At about 1:47 pm, I sold 61 shares of ZM, reducing my exposure to 192 shares. Proceeds from the sale amounted to $18,198, for a gain of just over 70% on the shares sold. The sale was just under 25% of my position.

ZM reports earnings after the close on Monday. The sale represents taking partial profits ahead of earnings. If ZM reacts favorably to its earnings announcement, I will let the remaining 192 shares ride. If not, I will determine whether I keep them or not depending on the severity of the action and the overall market on Tuesday. 

Stocks closed broadly higher on lower volume to cap off a positive week. The NASDAQ indices and the S&P closed at all-time highs. The DOW is now just over 3% from its all-time high and is again positive for the year. Smaller stocks and the NYSE still lag badly. At the close, the range was from a gain of .53% on the MID Cap index to .88% on the Russell 2000. Advancing stocks led declining ones on both exchanges to the tune of 7-3 on the NYSE and 2-1 on the NASDAQ. It was a good day for most stocks without being a day that sucks people in. Calm and collective, was the tone set by the market. The day was clearly bullish. The only concern is that many indices appear extended, thus a pullback would not be surprising. Surprisingly, though, using the McClennan Oscillator which I use to measure overbought/oversold conditions, the market, despite going up well on the week, as well as last week, too, is not overbought. The lack of breadth the past two weeks means that that the oscillator is in neutral territory.

On the day, I sold 61 shares of my ZM ahead of its earnings which are due after the closing bell on Monday. The shares were sold at prices between $298 and $299.40. The net proceeds from the sale were $18,197.83. The shares were sold at an approximate gain of 70% of the initial cost, which is in the $10k plus range. The stock is acting fine, but given the richness of its price, I felt it was time to take a few chips off the table. What I do with the remaining 192 shares will be a function of how the stock responds to earnings on Tuesday of next week. I will only sell the entire position if the stock drops more than 10% on the announcement. I am willing to tolerate a moderately negative response given my assessment of the company’s fundamentals. On the day, I gained $3,144.80, or .53%, underperforming all but the MID Cap index. On the week, I was up $9,209.63 or a bit over 1.5%. Year to date, my gains now amount $116,230 or just under 25%. On the day, I had five winning positions and three losing positions. The biggest loser was SHOP which was down just over 1%. The other two losers were LOW and LCII. LOW is just pulling back normally and is of no concern. LCII has broken near term support and seems to be in the lower end of a basing pattern. It is of some concern and could be a candidate for sale, together with ZTO and to a lesser degree NEM. Of my five winning positions, TTD and NEM were up about 2.5% and 3%, respectively, and were the best percentage gainers. ZM was up 1.5%. ZTO was up 1.4%, while MDY gained about .5%. As August comes to a close, I have done very well since going long on April 7. Of course, I have been aided and abetted by a run away bull move which was artificially created by the FED. I would be a liar if I say I have traded this market correctly. I sold my JD and the second S&P 500 calls I purchased way too soon. Those two mistakes cost me over $40,000 in profits left on the table. On the other hand, I have avoided any major blowups, and have played TTD, ZM and SHOP very well so far. As we enter the final third of the year, I have very mixed feelings about the current state of the market. There are some technical concerns that have arisen over the last six weeks. And, the fundamental backdrop has not improved markedly. We could easily not regain February’s employment levels for at least another 3-5 years. Still, as a trend follower, I will continue following it until I see clear and compelling signs that the end is near. As I type this, we are not there yet.

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Stocks closed broadly higher on lower volume to cap off a positive week. The NASDAQ indices and the S&P closed at all-time highs. The DOW is now just over 3% from its all-time high and is again positive for the year. Smaller stocks and the NYSE still lag badly. At the close, the range was from a gain of .53% on the MID Cap index to .88% on the Russell 2000. Advancing stocks led declining ones on both exchanges to the tune of 7-3 on the NYSE and 2-1 on the NASDAQ. It was a good day for most stocks without being a day that sucks people in. Calm and collective, was the tone set by the market. The day was clearly bullish. The only concern is that many indices appear extended, thus a pullback would not be surprising. Surprisingly, though, using the McClennan Oscillator which I use to measure overbought/oversold conditions, the market, despite going up well on the week, as well as last week, too, is not overbought. The lack of breadth the past two weeks means that that the oscillator is in neutral territory.

On the day, I sold 61 shares of my ZM ahead of its earnings which are due after the closing bell on Monday. The shares were sold at prices between $298 and $299.40. The net proceeds from the sale were $18,197.83. The shares were sold at an approximate gain of 70% of the initial cost, which is in the $10k plus range. The stock is acting fine, but given the richness of its price, I felt it was time to take a few chips off the table. What I do with the remaining 192 shares will be a function of how the stock responds to earnings on Tuesday of next week. I will only sell the entire position if the stock drops more than 10% on the announcement. I am willing to tolerate a moderately negative response given my assessment of the company’s fundamentals. On the day, I gained $3,144.80, or .53%, underperforming all but the MID Cap index. On the week, I was up $9,209.63 or a bit over 1.5%. Year to date, my gains now amount $116,230 or just under 25%. On the day, I had five winning positions and three losing positions. The biggest loser was SHOP which was down just over 1%. The other two losers were LOW and LCII. LOW is just pulling back normally and is of no concern. LCII has broken near term support and seems to be in the lower end of a basing pattern. It is of some concern and could be a candidate for sale, together with ZTO and to a lesser degree NEM. Of my five winning positions, TTD and NEM were up about 2.5% and 3%, respectively, and were the best percentage gainers. ZM was up 1.5%. ZTO was up 1.4%, while MDY gained about .5%. As August comes to a close, I have done very well since going long on April 7. Of course, I have been aided and abetted by a run away bull move which was artificially created by the FED. I would be a liar if I say I have traded this market correctly. I sold my JD and the second S&P 500 calls I purchased way too soon. Those two mistakes cost me over $40,000 in profits left on the table. On the other hand, I have avoided any major blowups, and have played TTD, ZM and SHOP very well so far. As we enter the final third of the year, I have very mixed feelings about the current state of the market. There are some technical concerns that have arisen over the last six weeks. And, the fundamental backdrop has not improved markedly. We could easily not regain February’s employment levels for at least another 3-5 years. Still, as a trend follower, I will continue following it until I see clear and compelling signs that the end is near. As I type this, we are not there yet.

Do u plan on getting into the stock

20 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Do u plan on getting into the stock

No. I was just curious as to what was  behind the big move. I am not a blue chip kind of guy, but I don't play low grade, cheap stocks either. Given my style those would not work for me, as they usually don't sustain their gains and come crashing down just as fast as they went up. 

I find that the best winners for me are high growth stocks that are rapidly expanding sales and earnings and that have strong chart patterns. I will occasionally buy industrial and cyclical stocks, but those are not my bread and butter, so I only trade those in very selective market periods.  

46 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

No. I was just curious as to what was  behind the big move. I am not a blue chip kind of guy, but I don't play low grade, cheap stocks either. Given my style those would not work for me, as they usually don't sustain their gains and come crashing down just as fast as they went up. 

I find that the best winners for me are high growth stocks that are rapidly expanding sales and earnings and that have strong chart patterns. I will occasionally buy industrial and cyclical stocks, but those are not my bread and butter, so I only trade those in very selective market periods.  

someone said they were worried about it sinking as fast as it went up and I was up 112% so I jumped out.