The Stock Market

DarterBlue

2 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Yeah I read how certain airlines and MGM resorts are about to lay off thousands of employees. This could be a good or bad thing. 

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

Like all typical supply side adherents, @HSFBfanignores the fact that the unemployed cannot buy goods and services. You can cut costs all you want, but if there are no customers, you will have no profits, just losses.

Food for thought. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Like all typical supply side adherents, @HSFBfanignores the fact that the unemployed cannot buy goods and services. You can cut costs all you want, but if there are no customers, you will have no profits, just losses.

Food for thought. 

They are only cutting their people. Millions upon millions of people are working and traveling and buying etc. 

For their company if you isolate it they have less expenses helping their profits 

24 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

They are only cutting their people. Millions upon millions of people are working and traveling and buying etc. 

For their company if you isolate it they have less expenses helping their profits 

What you are ignoring is that all companies tend to do this. They are giving other companies permission. At that stage unless you get foreigners to spend here it does not work. Currently, many foreigners can't even come to the USA due to our Covid-19 status. So there is that.. 

8 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

What you are ignoring is that all companies tend to do this. They are giving other companies permission. At that stage unless you get foreigners to spend here it does not work. Currently, many foreigners can't even come to the USA due to our Covid-19 status. So there is that.. 

We have enough Americans that are able to buy. Like i said many many people are protected from getting laid off. The market is now 800 points off the record high. By end of September we'll be at 30000 or higher 

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

We have enough Americans that are able to buy. Like i said many many people are protected from getting laid off. The market is now 800 points off the record high. By end of September we'll be at 30000 or higher 

But they will have no jobs if you fire them. Sometimes you make me just shake my head. 

2 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Yes of course. U wanna buy fractional shares of Amazon go ahead its only going higher

U want fractional shares of gold. One analyst I saw has gold going to 5000. 

U may just wanna buy fractional shares of the dow. Were 800 points Away from the all time.high and well hit that next month. 

Party city is a 2 dollar stock but its very healthy and looking nice. Maybe put 100 in there get 50 shares 

U may wanna look into travel stock even though risky we have many holidays coming up

Labor day all the Jewish holidays Thanksgiving Xmas Columbus day weekend etc people are traveling so maybe hotel stocks. 

These are just thoughts. Do not take my word. Do ur research

Nah I appreciate the advice. Will definitely do my homework first before investing. 

With regards to the AMC stock, I'm thinking that we're about to see a huge surge due to the "Tenet" movie coming out on Thursday.  The share price is currently at $6.30, and we know that people will go to the movies......especially since it's a new movie. I think it would be a good time to buy several shares of this stock. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

With regards to the AMC stock, I'm thinking that we're about to see a huge surge due to the "Tenet" movie coming out on Thursday.  The share price is currently at $6.30, and we know that people will go to the movies......especially since it's a new movie. I think it would be a good time to buy several shares of this stock. 

I agree.

Very little resistance through 7.10

I would say its a good entry point 

If u can get in at 6.15 that would be great

• Like 1

End of the Month, September Swoon? During the course of my lifetime, the month of September has enjoyed the reputation of being the worst month of the year for stocks. Ironically, it has been one of my best months and this is not because I have made big money shorting the market in September; rather, it is because I have either luckily or skillfully, I won't judge myself, been able to find the few roses within the brier. Anyway, I have decided to sell my position in LCII tomorrow (at current prices, I have a very small 2% aggregate gain in the position). Why? Technically, it is not acting badly, but its most recent breakout has failed and it is in a base. Now if this were the only issue, I would hold it, as I am patient when I like a position. However, during the past five weeks, the RV industry group which had been strong, has run into trouble, as evidenced by marked technical deterioration in most of the group's charts. I am a big believer in group strength and group moves, and, therefore, think it is probably time to exit LCII (at least for now) for that reason. 

So what, if anything, do I intend to replace it with? As I type this, I have four likely candidates: DHI, TMO, SSSS and UL. It is also possible that I may buy one of (UAL, DHI or TMO), and control my risk in SSSS by playing it via January 2021 Call Options. I have not made up my mind on which of the above I will purchase with the proceeds from LCII yet, but will post my actions tomorrow after I have made my move. 

I say the above with the full recognition that September is historically a bad month and that the market is acting tired. Thus, it is also possible I may just reduce my exposure by selling LCII and wait for further confirmation (more cards on the table) from the market before replacing the position sold (if I ultimately decide to do so). 

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

End of the Month, September Swoon? During the course of my lifetime, the month of September has enjoyed the reputation of being the worst month of the year for stocks. Ironically, it has been one of my best months and this is not because I have made big money shorting the market in September; rather, it is because I have either luckily or skillfully, I won't judge myself, been able to find the few roses within the brier. Anyway, I have decided to sell my position in LCII tomorrow (at current prices, I have a very small 2% aggregate gain in the position). Why? Technically, it is not acting badly, but its most recent breakout has failed and it is in a base. Now if this were the only issue, I would hold it, as I am patient when I like a position. However, during the past five weeks, the RV industry group which had been strong, has run into trouble, as evidenced by marked technical deterioration in most of the group's charts. I am a big believer in group strength and group moves, and, therefore, think it is probably time to exit LCII (at least for now) for that reason. 

So what, if anything, do I intend to replace it with? As I type this, I have four likely candidates: DHI, TMO, SSSS and UL. It is also possible that I may buy one of (UAL, DHI or TMO), and control my risk in SSSS by playing it via January 2021 Call Options. I have not made up my mind on which of the above I will purchase with the proceeds from LCII yet, but will post my actions tomorrow after I have made my move. 

I say the above with the full recognition that September is historically a bad month and that the market is acting tired. Thus, it is also possible I may just reduce my exposure by selling LCII and wait for further confirmation (more cards on the table) from the market before replacing the position sold (if I ultimately decide to do so). 

The market should be tired.  In my uneducated opinion I don't see what is keeping the market afloat.  People not working, pandemic, trade wars, corporate welfare, dumb ass in the WH.  

I guess that the stock market being played by those at the top, financially speaking, are keeping it moving and that the average person still is a paycheck away from the lining up for food in order to get by.  

Imo we have neither the interest or will to do what is required to continue this American experiment.  The opportunity to do serious reform and corrective measures during this pandemic is what is most disturbing to me.  The pandemic should be a uniting force for the country but instead we have a divider in chief stoking unrest and promoting hatred.  

Imho.

5 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

The market should be tired.  In my uneducated opinion I don't see what is keeping the market afloat.  People not working, pandemic, trade wars, corporate welfare, dumb ass in the WH.  

I guess that the stock market being played by those at the top, financially speaking, are keeping it moving and that the average person still is a paycheck away from the lining up for food in order to get by.  

Imo we have neither the interest or will to do what is required to continue this American experiment.  The opportunity to do serious reform and corrective measures during this pandemic is what is most disturbing to me.  The pandemic should be a uniting force for the country but instead we have a divider in chief stoking unrest and promoting hatred.  

Imho.

There are two things going in the market's favor: 1. The first is liquidity and the FED's willingness to support both the corporate and government bond markets via near unlimited buying which has kept prices of those securities unsustainabley high. This provides a backdrop where companies in financial stress can obtain financing that would not normally be available. The FED has also hinted at a possible willingness to buy corporate equities which would be unprecedented in the USA and has only occurred in Japan (back in the late 1980s before the massive bear market that followed in late 1989 and has continued since) among the developed, capitalist countries. Such a move would be the antithesis of capitalism, but you will not hear the media talking about it in that fashion. 2. The second thing going for the market is the fact that certain companies (primarily, but not exclusively technology companies) have actually benefited greatly from the current carnage. Thus, the huge market rally since the late March lows, has been fueled by a very narrow group of companies and likely will not broaden out to any significant degree until and unless there is a successful cure or vaccine for the virus (it has also been suggested that a cheap, reasonably, accurate rapid test used regularly on the known exposed, could also facilitate this) is found which enables us to get back near fully to normal. 

I totally agree with you that the current bull run is not sustainable. In fact, it will likely lead to a crash as severe as the Dotcom bubble or the housing meltdown. However, markets can often sustain the unsustainable for much longer than seems reasonable and we could be in such a situation. As a trader, I have exploited what I view as madness fully recognizing there will be hell to pay down the road.

What I have just said, as much as anything else, explains why unregulated capitalism will ultimately fail. It is a system that is too volatile and lacks built in self correcting mechanisms. Now if the capitalist class were bright and long term oriented, they would recognize this and would have allowed depression era stabilizers to remain in place. But no, they are greedy, stupid and short sighted and it may well eventually spell their own doom. Unfortunately, if I am right, it will lead to needless loss of life, and its replacement by a system that may well be worse.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

The market is responding to future growth

The virus is not as bad as thought. Mayter of fact the cdc just changed the numbers again to below 100000 death

The market is always futures and the future looks great

Btw there are thousands of jobs available 

You are in la la land. It must be really nice there. Enjoy yourself. 

• Haha 1

Indicators and the Weight of the Evidence: Over the course of this thread, I have stressed the need for a trading plan if you are to be consistently successful at this game. Without one, you will either succumb to emotions, or a lack of risk management will blow up your accounts. The elements of a trading plan include: 1. Maintaining mental balance; 2. Using indicators that work for you; 3. Managing your risk on each trade and on all your open trades, collectively; 4. Having an overarching set of principles which will enable you to select the types of securities you wish to trade consistently. All of the elements are of paramount importance. If you don't develop and adhere to them, you will be mediocre at best, or even if you are as naturally gifted a trader as Jessie Livermore, you will blow up your account periodically due to failure to control risk. This brief missive addresses the importance of indicators.

The best indicators are those that measure price and volume as reflected on a stock chart (bar or candlestick). Yes, psychological indicators such as those that measure sentiment, have some importance, but they are always secondary to those that actually measure and interpret price and volume action. Why? Price and volume measure the demand and supply of securities over time. Without demand for a stock, regardless of the company's fundamental virtues, the actual stock will go nowhere. There are many popular indicators out in the public domain. Some of which are: Moving averages (simple and exponential) that track a stock's movement over time in different time horizons; Oscillators, which measure overbought and oversold conditions in a security. Specific examples are: 21-day moving averages, 50-day moving averages; The Advance/Decline Line, the McClennen Oscillator, the MACD (Moving Average Convergence/Divergence, or MAC D); Stochastics, Price Momentum Oscillator (PMO), The Average True Daily Range (essential for day traders). There are a host of others, some very arcane some very esoteric, such as the use of Fibonacci numbers.

Some indicators work reasonably well and some not well at all. None are perfect. Often they will give divergent signals with some flashing buy and others flashing sell signals at the same time. In addition to the indicators listed above, there are scores of other indicators in the public domain. Also, for the mathematically inclined, particularly those with a background in Engineering, Physics, College Level Math, or Economics, you can develop your own indicators tailored specifically to yourself. If given thought and developed carefully, these can give you a unique edge both because they will be outside the public domain and because they will fit your own unique personality. More likely, though, most individuals will take an existing indicator and modify it to suit their own needs.  

This post was to give useful advice for those that think they can trade successfully and are willing to do the necessary work. From personal experience there is no substitute for hard work in this game. They are just too many smart people playing it whose sole intention is to take your money. If you are not willing to do the work, then treat it as a hobby where you throw away mad money. That way you will have fun but not damage your finances too much. 

18 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

This morning, in accord with my thoughts expressed over the weekend, I sold 479 shares of LCII at prices ranging from $119.15 to $118.60. Net proceeds from the sales amounted to $56,817.35 for a profit of $1,222.99 on an original cost basis of $55,594,36. Needless to say, this position which had been owned for just over three months did not live up to expectations, as the profits amounted to about 2%. Usually, my disappointing trades are gotten rid of sooner. I held this one for too long due to the fact it initially worked out, and when it began to decline, it did not do so violently but gave the impression it was carving out a base. This may actually prove to be true. However, given the weakness of the group (RV group), it made perfect sense to get rid of it. As I suggested there are several potential replacements: SSSS, DRI, UAL and TMO. I will also add CHWY to this list of potential replacements.

I will make a determination as the trading day plays out as to which one, if any I replace it with. 

• Like 1