The Stock Market

DarterBlue

Zoom Video Communications: After the analyst conference call, ZM literally zoomed in the after market. As I type this, it was up another $76. On Friday, I got rid of about 23% of my ZM holdings. I now own 192 shares. Assuming we open up at the elevated level of $400 per share, I plan on selling another 12 shares and keeping 180. These will be worth about $60,000. With the impending sale, my basis in the remaining 180 shares will be about $23,000. So, the other $37,000 will be essentially house money. Given the upbeat forecast made by company management, I plan to hold the 180 shares through another quarter with the following caveat: If we go into a market meltdown (this is very possible), I will likely sell all my long positions. 

Regardless, ZM has been great for me. It is these winners that earn me many multiples of my worst losers that have enabled me to be a net profitable trader over nearly 31 years of doing this. It is a lesson worth learning for those that have a brain in their heads. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Zoom Video Communications: After the analyst conference call, ZM literally zoomed in the after market. As I type this, it was up another $76. On Friday, I got rid of about 23% of my ZM holdings. I now own 192 shares. Assuming we open up at the elevated level of $400 per share, I plan on selling another 12 shares and keeping 180. These will be worth about $60,000. With the impending sale, my basis in the remaining 180 shares will be about $23,000. So, the other $37,000 will be essentially house money. Given the upbeat forecast made by company management, I plan to hold the 180 shares through another quarter with the following caveat: If we go into a market meltdown (this is very possible), I will likely sell all my long positions. 

Regardless, ZM has been great for me. It is these winners that earn me many multiples of my worst losers that have enabled me to be a net profitable trader over nearly 31 years of doing this. It is a lesson worth learning for those that have a brain in their heads. 

Meanwhile, my dumb ass only got a fractional share of zoom ($10.00).....smh. I did get a share or two of apple tho. 

1 minute ago, FootballGuy said:

Meanwhile, my dumb ass only got a fractional share of zoom ($10.00).....smh. I did get a share or two of apple tho. 

Believe it or not, if management is able to execute its strategy, that $10 could be worth more than $1,000 a decade from now. Given my trading style, though, it is very improbable that I could ever hold a position for a decade. For in that time we would likely have at least two or three bear markets and even if we don't have any, the stock will correct 40 to 50% at least two or three times during that period. I just don't have the confidence or patience to hold a position through those pullbacks. Now I will often repurchase a position I have previously owned when it seems to be on sound technical footing again. But sometimes I miss it and it gets away from me. 

With that said, I have no regrets for the 1000%ters I have missed because I sold too early over the years. I accept the fact that will happen based on my style and don't lose sleep over it. At the most, at this stage of my trading career, the longest I see myself being able to hold a position is 1 to 2 years. And those are the exceptionally good performers. Most things I own are gone within six months. 

16 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Believe it or not, if management is able to execute its strategy, that $10 could be worth more than $1,000 a decade from now. Given my trading style, though, it is very improbable that I could ever hold a position for a decade. For in that time we would likely have at least two or three bear markets and even if we don't have any, the stock will correct 40 to 50% at least two or three times during that period. I just don't have the confidence or patience to hold a position through those pullbacks. Now I will often repurchase a position I have previously owned when it seems to be on sound technical footing again. But sometimes I miss it and it gets away from me. 

With that said, I have no regrets for the 1000%ters I have missed because I sold too early over the years. I accept the fact that will happen based on my style and don't lose sleep over it. At the most, at this stage of my trading career, the longest I see myself being able to hold a position is 1 to 2 years. And those are the exceptionally good performers. Most things I own are gone within six months. 

I fucked up, it was either go Big on Apple or go big on Tesla, I chose apple, I just keep doubting Tesla and they keep going up  % 5- 15%  each single day, eventually this has to end with them on this hot streak

Just now, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I fucked up, it was either go Big on Apple or go big on Tesla, I chose apple, I just keep doubting Tesla and they keep going up  % 5- 15%  each single day, eventually this has to end with them on this hot streak

TSLA, seems to be in what is referred to as a climax run in the technical analysis literature and what I call a Leaning Tower of Pisa move. In these moves, good, quality stocks will sometimes go up 75 to 300% or more at the very end of their bull run in a matter of a few weeks. When they finally top out, you can bet they will give back at least 50% and often more. But if you are in for the ride it is a thrill of a lifetime. Pull up a chart of Qualcomm from the 1998 through December 1999 and you will see a perfect example of such a move.  

• Like 1

I sold 12 shares of ZM (Zoom Video) at $439.54 at the open. I now own 180 shares. I resubmitted the CHWY buy order at $60.75. We will see if it fills. Regarding the remaining ZM, the intention is to try and hold these through the next earnings report due in late November/early December. However, if the market rolls over, I may liquidate the position depending on how well it seems to be holding up. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Ooohhhhhhh @DarterBlue If you had Apple  call and you were in profit already, do you sell or would you exercise and keep the stocks? I never buy the call but this might be an exception if I want to long hold 

It depends on when they expire. The closest expiration is this Friday. If the calls were already showing a profit, the question is: are they in the money? If in the money and you don't sell, then you will be forced to exercise. So, the next question is: do you want to own the stock? If you do, by all means exercise. If you don't or you want to swing for the fences, sell the current options and, if you think the stock goes higher, buy the Novembers or Decembers. 

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

I sold 12 shares of ZM (Zoom Video) at $439.54 at the open. I now own 180 shares. I resubmitted the CHWY buy order at $60.75. We will see if it fills. Regarding the remaining ZM, the intention is to try and hold these through the next earnings report due in late November/early December. However, if the market rolls over, I may liquidate the position depending on how well it seems to be holding up. 

This is a case where paying up would have been the right thing to do. CHWY is up over 13% on the day. Oh well, that one should keep me humble. 

Stocks closed broadly higher on higher volume across the board. And, the indices closed right at day highs. So, it was a picture perfect day. It was so good, in fact, that we will almost certainly have a negative day in the very near term. Am I being tongue in cheek? Yes and no. The day was technically perfect, but it was almost too much so. On the day, the range was from a gain of .41% on the NYSE which was weighed down by its large number of energy sector companies to 1.5% on the NASDAQ 100 which was buoyed by big cap, technology. Secondary stocks, after a slow start had a solid day too. Advancing stocks led by 3-2 margin on the NYSE and by a narrow 9-8 margin on the NASDAQ. Given the fact that the NASDAQ indices have been bumping up against their upper trend line, the day was very impressive for the two NASDAQ indices. Both the S&P and NASDAQ indices hit new, all-time closing highs. The DOW is close. However, the broader indices (Russell, Mid Cap and NYSE composite) all have a ways to go.

On the day, I did spectacularly well. It was by far my best day of this cycle, as I would have to go back to the spring of 2009, to find a better day’s performance. I was up $34,957 or 5.75%. The big winner was ZM which accounted for over $23,000 of the day’s gains. However, SHOP, 6.3%; ZTO, 5%; TTD, 4.2%; LOW, 1.8% and MDY, .77% all gained and made significant contributions. The only loser was NEM which turned lower with the price of gold. Today, I sold 12 more shares of ZM for net proceeds of $5,274.36. Well over half of these net proceeds were profits. I now own 180 shares of ZM which had a closing market value of $82,384. I have an unrealized gain in these of just over 150%. Needless to say, ZM has been very good to me and has contributed to the great year I have had. I seldom establish specific, annual objectives when I trade. The reason is very simple: The nature of the market largely determines the ease or difficulty of making money. By not setting a specific objective, I am not inclined to try and force trades to meet them. Rather, I prefer to let the trades come to me and let the chips fall where they may.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

@DarterBlue can you explain what the hell happened to Tesla today? Act like your explaining it to a 11 year old

The stock was trading well in the pre-market and then Musk announced a secondary offering of new shares to raise $5 billion for the company. A 9% pre -market gain evaporated to a flat open. And, during the rest of the day the stock sold off. Absent the secondary announcement, the stock probably goes up on the day. Instead, it lost 4.7%. But given the very steep run up in price before today, a 5% selloff is not bad and was to be expected. I would say that for now, the stock is still okay.

BTW, a secondary is negative for existing shareholders since their ownership is diluted by the new shares which must now share in the profits and dividends (if any). But it is still a whole lot better than if Musk had announced he was going to sell $5 billion of his stake in the company. 

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

I bought 4 shares of it. Should I continue to hold onto it through Halloween or jump into the options?

It is up almost 10% in overnight trade. If you bought it before the after market move, I would hold the stock if it acts well tomorrow. I am going to give you two pieces of general advice:

1. Never buy the options after a big move has been made. If you still like the stock, wait for a pullback of at lest a few percent or to the 21-day moving average, before you buy options.

2. You asked about holding it till Halloween. Here is my take, I never buy a stock or option with a specific sell date in mind. My sell decision is driven by how the stock is actually performing. If it is going up in an orderly fashion there is no reason to sell at Halloween. You try to keep your winners if they are acting well. You can sell off portions along the way when you have profits of 40% or more. The converse is also true. If it acts poorly over the next two week, I would sell it then. I would not wait till Halloween. 

• Thanks 1