The Stock Market

DarterBlue

58 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

someone said they were worried about it sinking as fast as it went up and I was up 112% so I jumped out. 

It is hard to say. It could just as easily double again or come crashing down. That is why I don't trade those types of stocks. I would not have an edge if I traded them and I would also be forced to be much more active than I normally am. I like to hold my winners for at least a couple months and give them a chance to make 50% or more. I know what to look for in those types of stocks. On the other hand, I don't know and don't care to know what to look for in the kinds of issues you and @imaGoodBoyNowtrade. 

What I do for me has worked over many years. So, it is what I am comfortable with and where I have my edge.  

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

It is hard to say. It could just as easily double again or come crashing down. That is why I don't trade those types of stocks. I would not have an edge if I traded them and I would also be forced to be much more active than I normally am. I like to hold my winners for at least a couple months and give them a chance to make 50% or more. I know what to look for in those types of stocks. On the other hand, I don't know and don't care to know what to look for in the kinds of issues you and @imaGoodBoyNowtrade. 

What I do for me has worked over many years. So, it is what I am comfortable with and where I have my edge.  

I pay attention to my stocks for basically every minute btw 9am to 8pm. You have to keep an eye on suppoet and resistance and be able to make a move accordingly 

For example on the webull app i told everyone on the VVPR stock if ur looking to enter enter at 5.85 that was this afternoon. If you enter at that position and ir went to something like 10.30. You did absolutely fine but I was monitoring it all day

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I go where ever there’s a  projected increase , it doesn’t matter the chip it is, from penny pharmas to Disney Abbott and NVDA 

but I have realize the penny’stocks  just to take your profits and move along , one day to late there can be an offering or some shit, constant reverse splits, stock ends up worthless 

32 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I pay attention to my stocks for basically every minute btw 9am to 8pm. You have to keep an eye on suppoet and resistance and be able to make a move accordingly 

For example on the webull app i told everyone on the VVPR stock if ur looking to enter enter at 5.85 that was this afternoon. If you enter at that position and ir went to something like 10.30. You did absolutely fine but I was monitoring it all day

I spend 20 hours or more each week devoted to the markets. But less than an hour of that time is spent actually trading. My time is spent: 1. Developing and updating watch lists; 2. Watching the market activity for about 2 hours each day to get a feel for the market's current rhythm; 3. Writing my daily diary (I post a large chunk of it here each day); 4. Analyzing my closed trades (winners and losers); 5. Listening  to and watching a few videos/podcasts, of a few market analysts I respect; 6. Looking at charts in multiple horizons of the stocks I own or am considering owning for possible exit/entry points.

To me this is a job. But it does not feel like a job, because I treat it as an intellectual exercise, an exercise in which I am competing with some incredibly smart people and a whole bunch of average to mediocre people. Thus to me it is part of life's journey. To all market survivors trading is a journey, not a destination. My objective is to get my share of the losses that the lazy or dumb invariably incur. 

If I leave the USA (should we get a second DJT term) and my destination is Jamaica, I will flesh out many of the ideas I have posted in this thread and teach a course at my undergraduate Alma Marta, The University of the West Indies. I have already discussed the possibility of doing this with a decision maker in great detail. The course would be open to Economics and Business Majors.  I would be doing it more for fun than for the money and to give something back since I abandoned my place of birth within 2.5 years of completing my bachelor's degree. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

I spend 20 hours or more each week devoted to the markets. But less than an hour of that time is spent actually trading. My time is spent: 1. Developing and updating watch lists; 2. Watching the market activity for about 2 hours each day to get a feel for the market's current rhythm; 3. Writing my daily diary (I post a large chunk of it here each day); 4. Analyzing my closed trades (winners and losers); 5. Listening  to and watching a few videos/podcasts, of a few market analysts I respect; 6. Looking at charts in multiple horizons of the stocks I own or am considering owning for possible exit/entry points.

To me this is a job. But it does not feel like a job, because I treat it as an intellectual exercise, an exercise in which I am competing with some incredibly smart people and a whole bunch of average to mediocre people. Thus to me it is part of life's journey. To all market survivors trading is a journey, not a destination. My objective is to get my share of the losses that the lazy or dumb invariably incur. 

If I leave the USA (should we get a second DJT term) and my destination is Jamaica, I will flesh out many of the ideas I have posted in this thread and teach a course at my undergraduate Alma Marta, The University of the West Indies. I have already discussed the possibility of doing this with a decision maker in great detail. The course would be open to Economics and Business Majors.  I would be doing it more for fun than for the money and to give something back since I abandoned my place of birth within 2.5 years of completing my bachelor's degree. 

Ok but I spend 11 hours a day watching my positions

Thats 55 hours a week

18 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Ok but I spend 11 hours a day watching my positions

Thats 55 hours a week

If all you are doing for 55 hours is watching your positions, you will never become proficient. At least 20 hours of that time would be better spent doing other things that will enable you to grow and become a better trader/investor. But look, if what you do floats your boat, then far be it for me to try and change you. 

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

If all you are doing for 55 hours is watching your positions, you will never become proficient. At least 20 hours of that time would be better spent doing other things that will enable you to grow and become a better trader/investor. But look, if what you do floats your boat, then far be it for me to try and change you. 

I made over 112% profit today

I gotta be doing something right 

5 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I made over 112% profit today

I gotta be doing something right 

You found a winner. But like I said, this is a journey. To survive you need to develop the skills that give you an edge. If you don't, your account will be a yo yo that goes up down, up down, but without making consistent forward progress. Trust me, I am a survivor. I know what I am doing. And, no, it does not mean you need to do what I do. All I am saying is: you need to develop skills that are compatible with your personality and your equity. Over the time I have done this, I have seen many individuals bust out, throw in the towel and exit left. It is not easy to do this, in fact, in a sense for most it is very difficult. For to do this successfully, you have to realize that humans are not emotionally wired to trade. 

If you doubt me, ask @Troll

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

You found a winner. But like I said, this is a journey. To survive you need to develop the skills that give you an edge. If you don't, your account will be a yo yo that goes up down, up down, but without making consistent forward progress. Trust me, I am a survivor. I know what I am doing. And, no, it does not mean you need to do what I do. All I am saying is: you need to develop skills that are compatible with your personality and your equity. Over the time I have done this, I have seen many individuals bust out, throw in the towel and exit left. It is not easy to do this, in fact, in a sense for most it is very difficult. For to do this successfully, you have to realize that humans are not emotionally wired to trade. 

If you doubt me, ask @Troll

I understand what your saying. I appreciate it 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

@DarterBlue Apple is $125 a share but what scares me is CEO sold a massive amount, now why would he sell all those shares if he thought the stock was gonna go up https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.barrons.com/amp/articles/apple-ceo-tim-cook-sold-shares-ahead-of-stock-split-51598650147

You need to understand how executives get most of their stock, particularly Technology executives. Most executives get their stock through stock option grants or stock awards. Thus, the stock represents a material portion of their compensation, but the taxes they pay on this part are tax advantaged. With that said, today, as compared with the 1950s through the 1980s, north of 90% of the stock owned by executives was obtained that way. In other words, it was not purchased by them. Therefore, it is not surprising that these executives are continuously selling their shares. It is pay and what do individuals do with their pay, after all? 

A better use of inside information is when you see multiple executives actually purchasing their company's stock. That is usually quite bullish if those purchases are done at market. 

So, to sum up, it is not unusual to see executives selling large amounts of stock. These sales don't necessarily mean the executives have a bad opinion of the company. In Apple's case, though, be advised that the stock has been a huge winner in this bull move. Therefore, from a value standpoint it is probably quite expensive. 

I gave you a long answer to a short question. Hope it helps. 

Just now, DarterBlue said:

You need to understand how executives get most of their stock, particularly Technology executives. Most executives get their stock through stock option grants or stock awards. Thus, the stock represents a material portion of their compensation, but the taxes they pay on this part are tax advantaged. With that said, today, as compared with the 1950s through the 1980s, north of 90% of the stock owned by executives was obtained that way. In other words, it was not purchased by them. Therefore, it is not surprising that these executives are continuously selling their shares. It is pay and what do individuals do with their pay, after all? 

A better use of inside information is when you see multiple executives actually purchasing their company's stock. That is usually quite bullish if those purchases are done at market. 

So, to sum up, it is not unusual to see executives selling large amounts of stock. These sales don't necessarily mean the executives have a bad opinion of the company. In Apple's case, though, be advised that the stock has been a huge winner in this bull move. Therefore, from a value standpoint it is probably quite expensive. 

I gave you a long answer to a short question. Hope it helps. 

Off topic, but how do fractional shares work? 

31 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Off topic, but how do fractional shares work? 

I will confess I don't know. Back in the day, you got any fractional shares in cash. So if a split left you with fractional shares, you got the whole number of shares and cash for the difference. I think they have now come about for two reasons: 1. Individuals no longer take stock certificates, all shares are pretty much held in street name. 2. Stock splits (notwithstanding AAPL and TSLA) have become rare. So, many retail investors may not be able to own a share of a $1,000 stock but and afford a half a share. But personally, I have never had to deal with a fractional share since the process changed. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

I will confess I don't know. Back in the day, you got any fractional shares in cash. So if a split left you with fractional shares, you got the whole number of shares and cash for the difference. I think they have now come about for two reasons: 1. Individuals no longer take stock certificates, all shares are pretty much held in street name. 2. Stock splits (notwithstanding AAPL and TSLA) have become rare. So, many retail investors may not be able to own a share of a $1,000 stock but and afford a half a share. But personally, I have never had to deal with a fractional share since the process changed. 

I thought the fractional shares are exactly what they are , for the people that can’t afford Tesla and amazon and expensive stocks , so instead of asking how many shares you want to purchase, it’s asks you how much you wanna spend 

so I’ll spend $900 on amazon so now I own 0.30 of a share of amazon 

20 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I thought the fractional shares are exactly what they are , for the people that can’t afford Tesla and amazon and expensive stocks , so instead of asking how many shares you want to purchase, it’s asks you how much you wanna spend 

so I’ll spend $900 on amazon so now I own 0.30 of a share of amazon 

Yes, I assume that is what there are now. Back when I was a small time player, the only fractional shares you could buy were in a dividend reinvestment plan where you were getting them directly from the company (you would have an account with the administrator of the reinvestment plan). Brokers back then did not want any part of holding fractional shares in your name. I have never had to deal with them because thought I am a relatively small investor, I can still afford whole shares even it they trade at $5,000. The only stock I know I could not buy is the class A shares of Berkshire Hathaway, which trade for about $500,000 per share. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Yes, I assume that is what there are now. Back when I was a small time player, the only fractional shares you could buy were in a dividend reinvestment plan where you were getting them directly from the company (you would have an account with the administrator of the reinvestment plan). Brokers back then did not want any part of holding fractional shares in your name. I have never had to deal with them because thought I am a relatively small investor, I can still afford whole shares even it they trade at $5,000. The only stock I know I could not buy is the class A shares of Berkshire Hathaway, which trade for about $500,000 per share. 

Ya what I said is exactly it is , I just googled to confirmed ,, 

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Watch these companies their stocks could jump based off layoffs saving money

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-08-29/job-cuts-at-mgm-coca-cola-boeing-herald-economic-pain-ahead

Yeah I read how certain airlines and MGM resorts are about to lay off thousands of employees. This could be a good or bad thing. 

1 minute ago, FootballGuy said:

.....yeahhhh. Tough situation. I'll stick to the tesla, amazon, apple and visa stocks tho. Netflix as well. Be ready for the stock split in a couple days!

I cant afford any of those. But I found a nice diamond on Friday. Made 112% profit on it and got out 

I made money on a AMC call as theaters were opening and thr stock popped up. 

Gonna keep looking for other cheap deals that have potential to go up

I keep looking at BETZ. Its an ETF that has different betting stocks in it

Just now, HSFBfan said:

I cant afford any of those. But I found a nice diamond on Friday. Made 112% profit on it and got out 

I made money on a AMC call as theaters were opening and thr stock popped up. 

Gonna keep looking for other cheap deals that have potential to go up

I keep looking at BETZ. Its an ETF that has different betting stocks in it

Nice! Mad that I didn't get in on AMC...smh. But yeah, I think with the high end stocks you'll want to go with the fractional shares. Something is better than nothing, right? 

3 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Nice! Mad that I didn't get in on AMC...smh. But yeah, I think with the high end stocks you'll want to go with the fractional shares. Something is better than nothing, right? 

Yes of course. U wanna buy fractional shares of Amazon go ahead its only going higher

U want fractional shares of gold. One analyst I saw has gold going to 5000. 

U may just wanna buy fractional shares of the dow. Were 800 points Away from the all time.high and well hit that next month. 

Party city is a 2 dollar stock but its very healthy and looking nice. Maybe put 100 in there get 50 shares 

U may wanna look into travel stock even though risky we have many holidays coming up

Labor day all the Jewish holidays Thanksgiving Xmas Columbus day weekend etc people are traveling so maybe hotel stocks. 

These are just thoughts. Do not take my word. Do ur research

• Like 1