My Covid-19 Testing Experience

DarterBlue

Today, I was tested for the virus. The test was scheduled for Thursday but was postponed by the local health authority due to stormy weather passing through that day. What was the experience like?

Testing was conducted at a large, local park. When I got there around 8:10 am, there were no directions to the testing site at the entrance. Thus, I drove over to a crowd of individuals near the southwest entrance to the park. However, I was told there that these individuals were actually vendors at a local flea market. I was shocked that this was being allowed under the local lock-down rules, but thanked the individual for the information and proceeded to head north as per his directions. I will note that due to it being early, only flea market vendors were there as customers had not yet arrived. At least 80% of these vendors were either African American or Hispanic and right there in stark view, it drove home one reason why these communities, to which I belong, have been the hardest hit. 

When I got down to the testing site, there were about 25 cars in front of me. We remained at a stand still for about 15 minutes, during which time another 20 cars or so pulled up behind me. During this time two or three cars did U turns and exited. Their occupants either could not wait due to work or other commitments or did not have the patience to wait. Well after 15 minutes, we got going. As we pulled up to the first stop, we were divided into two streams, those that had appointments and those that did not. Being among the former category, I pulled up to a tent and the lady found my file. I was asked for my ID and she checked the information in my file against my drivers' license to make sure I was a county resident and my name and address matched. Once she satisfied herself, she had me sign the form that all information was correct, gave me a bottle of hand sanitiser and directions to obtain my test results on-line. She then directed me to an area where 6 drive through, testing sites were set up. I was directed to site 3. When I pulled up there, I again had to show my identification. I was then told to remove my mask and tilt my head back. The healthcare individual proceeded to put a large, medical swab down my right nostril. She twirled it around and the process felt very uncomfortable but was over quickly. At this stage, I was given directions to leave. 

The whole process, including the initial 15 minute wait, took less than a half hour. When I was exiting, there was a line of about 20 cars waiting at the initial checkpoint. So, there was still demand for testing, but the situation seemed well under control. One drawback, is that the sheet provided, while it gave detailed instructions as to how to get results on-line, did not indicate when the results would be available. It also did not have any information for individuals who either do not have access to the internet or who are internet illiterate. Also, the site I attended did not accommodate those that lacked transportation. Despite these drawbacks, I would rate the process B+ or A-, overall.

Note that I waited this long to seek testing though I am in my mid 60s as until the last week there was a shortage of testing sites in the Greater Orlando area, so since I was not showing any symptoms, I did not want to deprive others who were from getting tested. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Today, I was tested for the virus. The test was scheduled for Thursday but was postponed by the local health authority due to stormy weather passing through that day. What was the experience like?

Testing was conducted at a large, local park. When I got there around 8:10 am, there were no directions to the testing site at the entrance. Thus, I drove over to a crowd of individuals near the southwest entrance to the park. However, I was told there that these individuals were actually vendors at a local flea market. I was shocked that this was being allowed under the local lock-down rules, but thanked the individual for the information and proceeded to head north as per his directions. I will note that due to it being early, only flea market vendors were there as customers had not yet arrived. At least 80% of these vendors were either African American or Hispanic and right there in stark view, it drove home one reason why these communities, to which I belong, have been the hardest hit. 

When I got down to the testing site, there were about 25 cars in front of me. We remained at a stand still for about 15 minutes, during which time another 20 cars or so pulled up behind me. During this time two or three cars did U turns and exited. Their occupants either could not wait due to work or other commitments or did not have the patience to wait. Well after 15 minutes, we got going. As we pulled up to the first stop, we were divided into two streams, those that had appointments and those that did not. Being among the former category, I pulled up to a tent and the lady found my file. I was asked for my ID and she checked the information in my file against my drivers' license to make sure I was a county resident and my name and address matched. Once she satisfied herself, she had me sign the form that all information was correct, gave me a bottle of hand sanitiser and directions to obtain my test results on-line. She then directed me to an area where 6 drive through, testing sites were set up. I was directed to site 3. When I pulled up there, I again had to show my identification. I was then told to remove my mask and tilt my head back. The healthcare individual proceeded to put a large, medical swab down my right nostril. She twirled it around and the process felt very uncomfortable but was over quickly. At this stage, I was given directions to leave. 

The whole process, including the initial 15 minute wait, took less than a half hour. When I was exiting, there was a line of about 20 cars waiting at the initial checkpoint. So, there was still demand for testing, but the situation seemed well under control. One drawback, is that the sheet provided, while it gave detailed instructions as to how to get results on-line, did not indicate when the results would be available. It also did not have any information for individuals who either do not have access to the internet or who are internet illiterate. Also, the site I attended did not accommodate those that lacked transportation. Despite these drawbacks, I would rate the process B+ or A-, overall.

Note that I waited this long to seek testing though I am in my mid 60s as until the last week there was a shortage of testing sites in the Greater Orlando area, so since I was not showing any symptoms, I did not want to deprive others who were from getting tested. 

Here’s hoping the results are negative 

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am not showing symptoms so, if positive, I am either asymptomatic or am still in the incubation period. 

Wouldn't that depend on the test ?

Just curious if they are testing for the antibodies, or the actual live virus....

Did they indicate?

one of those tests would only tell you if you ever 'had' it...

Would not want you going around thinking EITHER of the above, if that were the case 🤷‍♂️

either way, good luck on your test.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Troll said:

Wouldn't that depend on the test ?

Just curious if they are testing for the antibodies, or the actual live virus....

Did they indicate?

one of those tests would only tell you if you ever 'had' it...

Would not want you going around thinking EITHER of the above, if that were the case 🤷‍♂️

either way, good luck on your test.

This test was for the virus, not antibodies. If and when the antibody test becomes readily available here, I will do that, too, assuming the current test is for the virus is negative. I would be happy to donate plasma if I am well but have antibodies in my system. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

This test was for the virus, not antibodies. If and when the antibody test becomes readily available here, I will do that, too, assuming the current test is for the virus is negative. I would be happy to donate plasma if I am well but have antibodies in my system. 

Darter,

I wish you well, however after submersing my self to the QAnon doctrines and perusing my twitter feed, I am confident that a chip was planted to track your movements.

Centrists and common sense are not allowed, wasn't sure you knew this.

Happy to help,

bgw

p.s. good luck on the test, praying for the good news.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I wish you well, however after submersing my self to the QAnon doctrines and perusing my twitter feed, I am confident that a chip was planted to track your movements.

If they planted a chip, they did it skillfully. So, I commend them. In China, a more authoritarian country, they just use cell phones to track you, so there is that ...

Thanks for the well wishes. My guess is either I am Covid free or I was one of those asymptomatic people. So, I am cautiously optimistic.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Darter,

Centrists and common sense are not allowed, wasn't sure you knew this.

Happy to help,

bgw

p.s. good luck on the test, praying for the good news.

🤣

yeah but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that 'some' people are going to be making   $$$ off of this....

at your expense...

Just the flip side is all...

🤔

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

In China the good ole' US of A, a more authoritarian country, they just use cell phones to track you, so there is that ...<<<FIFY

as confirmed by the NYT, USAtoday, CNN, CNBC...etc. etc. etc.

You may have missed all the links, that I had just posted in another thread...

Just sayin'

1 hour ago, Troll said:

How true is the following in your opinion (taken from one of the articles):

"The dashboard does not identify any individual person, device or household, but rather extrapolates population level data using "tens of millions of anonymous mobile phones and their interactions with each other each day," according to Unacast."

They are probably lying to us, right?

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

How true is the following in your opinion (taken from one of the articles):

"The dashboard does not identify any individual person, device or household, but rather extrapolates population level data using "tens of millions of anonymous mobile phones and their interactions with each other each day," according to Unacast."

They are probably lying to us, right?

They never lie...

They don't have to...

to tell you that the "dashboard" doesn't...

(even though the "data"  does...)

🙄

Idk if you guys have Family Dollar stores where you live, but, if you have a newer store, and you walk through, you'll notice these little smoke alarm looking bubbles hanging from conduit over your head. As you walk through the store, you may notice there is a clicking sound as you pass by these. That is the store tracking your cell signal to see the habits of people shopping the store. They average how many smart phones turned left after entering, turned right or went straight. They then use that info to set up displays on items they plan to push. A lot of retailers are using this type system now, I just mention that store because the one I go to has a very pronounced and audible click as you pass these devices overhead. Never noticed it at Walmart who also uses similar data.

At the same time, they have no idea who you are. The smart phone data we see on these trackers is supposed to be the same, anonymous data. At the current time, I think it likely is anonymous, but, where there is a will, there is a way. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Idk if you guys have Family Dollar stores where you live, but, if you have a newer store, and you walk through, you'll notice these little smoke alarm looking bubbles hanging from conduit over your head. As you walk through the store, you may notice there is a clicking sound as you pass by these. That is the store tracking your cell signal to see the habits of people shopping the store. They average how many smart phones turned left after entering, turned right or went straight. They then use that info to set up displays on items they plan to push. A lot of retailers are using this type system now, I just mention that store because the one I go to has a very pronounced and audible click as you pass these devices overhead. Never noticed it at Walmart who also uses similar data.

At the same time, they have no idea who you are. The smart phone data we see on these trackers is supposed to be the same, anonymous data. At the current time, I think it likely is anonymous, but, where there is a will, there is a way. 

Well damn, gonna wrap my cell in tin foil, and try to foil the snoopers....

bgw

• Haha 3

Just now, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Well damn, gonna wrap my cell in tin foil, and try to foil the snoopers....

bgw

Yeah! xD

Idc that they "generically" track my location. If they suddenly put a little icon with my name and photo beside it as I move around, then it becomes troublesome. 

For instance, the store tracking has no way of knowing who you are when you enter the store. It only recognizes there is a cell phone. However, at the end of the visit, you may use a credit or debit card which then identifies you. If they link that name back to the trackers through an algorithm, they can then say that BGW entered the store at x time and went left. After turning right and spending ten minutes in front of the magazine rack, he went left through automotive before spending a few moments at canned goods. They then can connect that to your purchases and your name and suddenly your online ads can be more targeted as can nefarious people's ability to identify you through hacking these systems. 

We already know the government can access this data, supposedly after having warrants. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yeah! xD

Idc that they "generically" track my location. If they suddenly put a little icon with my name and photo beside it as I move around, then it becomes troublesome. 

For instance, the store tracking has no way of knowing who you are when you enter the store. It only recognizes there is a cell phone. However, at the end of the visit, you may use a credit or debit card which then identifies you. If they link that name back to the trackers through an algorithm, they can then say that BGW entered the store at x time and went left. After turning right and spending ten minutes in front of the magazine rack, he went left through automotive before spending a few moments at canned goods. They then can connect that to your purchases and your name and suddenly your online ads can be more targeted as can nefarious people's ability to identify you through hacking these systems. 

We already know the government can access this data, supposedly after having warrants. 

Mother of God.

Something to think about, but not when I'm trying to sleep.

Hahahaha.

bgw

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Mother of God.

Something to think about, but not when I'm trying to sleep.

Hahahaha.

bgw

To think, I'm not even a conspiracy theorist type, but, I have the outlook like that. I'm generally looking to debunk conspiracy theories to be honest. 

I honestly don't think they currently link "you" to this data, but, like I said, it's only a simple link or two in the algorithm away as soon as you have identified yourself through a debit or credit card. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

To think, I'm not even a conspiracy theorist type, but, I have the outlook like that. I'm generally looking to debunk conspiracy theories to be honest. 

I honestly don't think they currently link "you" to this data, but, like I said, it's only a simple link or two in the algorithm away as soon as you have identified yourself through a debit or credit card. 

Aren’t “they” tracking via apps like Waze through stoplights to alert you to nearby “attractions”... I do like the “intuitiveness” of technology though. 

I’m not tripping on it unless there’s a breach like someone getting my social and opening up accounts and the like. 

It is pretty cool though, the technology especially when traveling and in unknown environs. 

bgw

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Aren’t “they” tracking via apps like Waze through stoplights to alert you to nearby “attractions”... I do like the “intuitiveness” of technology though. 

I’m not tripping on it unless there’s a breach like someone getting my social and opening up accounts and the like. 

It is pretty cool though, the technology especially when traveling and in unknown environs. 

bgw

Yeah. Google is the biggest one to track you. You have the opportunity to opt out of a lot of trackers like that, but, then your app suggestions become less and less relevant for your actual location. 

I too like the technology, but, there certainly is some major privacy issues for us, especially if we don't feel comfortable with "them" tracking us. 

As far as the stores tracking you, as far as I know, there is no way to opt out on that, but, as I said, it's supposed to be generic data. The opening is there though. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

100% correct..but where you been ???

Did a stint in a private retail company before I retired....they set up over 1,000 entire stores with massive displays (and break them down) every single year.  This type of technology is nothing new, has been around for years, and entire companies are even built around it (Wawa comes to mind) etc. etc., but pretty much even the conspiracy theorists are not calling that crap out as being any "current" issue...there is absolutely ZERO need for the people who write that type of software, to allow an 'end user' to have  access to that type of information...

But I could guarantee that there is also nothing to stop any "easy upgrades" to those systems, and half of them send more info than the "end user" (stores paying for the service) get to see, back to 'HQ' in the form of names, contact info, etc. that is legally sold off as sales lead data etc...

Not so sure how much this practice has been curtailed, not so sure how much 'will' there is there 🤷‍♂️ 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Troll said:

100% correct..but where you been ???

Did a stint in a private retail company before I retired....they set up over 1,000 entire stores with massive displays (and break them down) every single year.  This type of technology is nothing new, has been around for years, and entire companies are even built around it (Wawa comes to mind) etc. etc., but pretty much even the conspiracy theorists are calling that crap out as being any "current" issue...there is absolutely ZERO need for the people who write that type of software, to allow an 'end user' to have  access to that type of information...

But I could guarantee that there is also nothing to stop any "easy upgrades" to those systems, and half of them send more info than the "end user" (stores paying for the service) get to see, back to 'HQ' in the form of names, contact info, etc. that is legally sold off as sales lead data etc...

Not so sure how much this practice has been curtailed, not so sure how much 'will' there is there 🤷‍♂️ 

I agree. I knew about this type of tracking for a long time already, I just noticed those audible clicks in the trackers at the Family Dollar stores around me a couple of years back. It's very noticeable. I assume they used cut rate equipment for it to be so audible.

For a place like Walmart with such an intricate camera system, there isn't much to stop them from overlaying their collected cell data with their camera footage and more. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

To think, I'm not even a conspiracy theorist type, but, I have the outlook like that. I'm generally looking to debunk conspiracy theories to be honest. `

👍 😁

Jersey Devil Philadelphia Post 1909.jpg

the Jersey Devil (also known as the Leeds Devil) is a legendary creature said to inhabit the Pine Barrens of South Jersey. The creature is often described as a flying biped with hooves, but there are many variations. The common description is that of a kangaroo-like or wyvern-like creature with a goat- or horse-like head, leathery bat-like wings, horns, small arms with clawed hands, legs with cloven hooves, and a forked tail. It has been reported to move quickly and is often described as emitting a high-pitched "blood-curdling scream".

---------

BTW: when that Devil showed up about a week ago, my Koi pond mysteriously emptied before I knew he was back...

• Like 1

I accessed my results online today. In a paragraph only a lawyer could love, it basically said, to the best of their knowledge and belief, I was negative at the time the test was conducted. 

I guess this is wonderful news. As soon as the antibody test is readily and widely available in Central Florida, I will do one. Should antibodies be present in my bloodstream, I will be a good citizen and donate my plasma if I get the green light. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 3:08 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

So what happens when one walks through the door and their phone is off?

• Haha 3