The actual corona virus swab your nose test is quite an experience....

BigDrop

My wife and I had the test on Monday-received the results today and they were negative.  We had no symptoms but want to be around adult children and this seemed like a safe way for us all to get together-to find out if we’re all negative.  On the form you write that you believe you may have had exposure for the reason.  BC/BS PPP paid everything-no copay.

The swab they put up each of your nostris and how far it goes-is unbelievable.  If you need or want the test don’t let this stop you but come emotionally prepared. For eight or ten seconds it’ll make kidney stones feel like kindergarten.

I refuse to believe that Trump has had a second one of these no matter what he says.  Has anyone else on here had the test?  Not the mouth swab (we had that too) but the three inch cotton swab that seems to try to go all the way up your nose seemingly going for your brain.

6 hours ago, BigDrop said:

My wife and I had the test on Monday-received the results today and they were negative.  We had no symptoms but want to be around adult children and this seemed like a safe way for us all to get together-to find out if we’re all negative.  On the form you write that you believe you may have had exposure for the reason.  BC/BS PPP paid everything-no copay.

The swab they put up each of your nostris and how far it goes-is unbelievable.  If you need or want the test don’t let this stop you but come emotionally prepared. For eight or ten seconds it’ll make kidney stones feel like kindergarten.

I refuse to believe that Trump has had a second one of these no matter what he says.  Has anyone else on here had the test?  Not the mouth swab (we had that too) but the three inch cotton swab that seems to try to go all the way up your nose seemingly going for your brain.

I have. It was not comfortable, but I found it bearable. Better than most dental visits and much better than a colonoscopy. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

I have. It was not comfortable, but I found it bearable. Better than most dental visits and much better than a colonoscopy. 

Well, Sunday I had the long, thin Q-tip looking things shoved up each nostril to make sure I was COVID-free before the hospital would admit me for my colonoscopy yesterday.

At the height of the first nostril probe, I alarmed the young female technician with an "Ah, Jesus!" followed by coughing and eyes watering and shaking my head and expecting to sneeze for about 30 seconds. Then, much to my surprise, she said the test required a probe of both nostrils (or else she was just blatently fucking with me and did it for the hell of it). Realizing I hadn't heard similar commotion from the older lady who had been in the booth getting the test before me, I figured I better toughen up. I became mentally and emotionally prepared for the 2nd one, and was able to keep quiet as the thing zinged the suburbs of my brain.

Apparently I was negative, as I received no call in the ensuing days, so was able to go ahead with the scheduled colonoscopy. Drinking the prep stuff and cleaning out the system is the most annoying thing with a colonoscopy. For the procedure, they hook you up to monitors and give you an IV and put you to sleep and you wake up 30 minutes later not having felt a thing. The doctor found nothing concerning, so hopefully when I go through it again in 10 years I can at least forego the nose-jab COVID-testing step.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Well, Sunday I had the long, thin Q-tip looking things shoved up each nostril to make sure I was COVID-free before the hospital would admit me for my colonoscopy yesterday.

At the height of the first nostril probe, I alarmed the young female technician with an "Ah, Jesus!" followed by coughing and eyes watering and shaking my head and expecting to sneeze for about 30 seconds. Then, much to my surprise, she said the test required a probe of both nostrils (or else she was just blatently fucking with me and did it for the hell of it). Realizing I hadn't heard similar commotion from the older lady who had been in the booth getting the test before me, I figured I better toughen up. I became mentally and emotionally prepared for the 2nd one, and was able to keep quiet as the thing zinged the suburbs of my brain.

Apparently I was negative, as I received no call in the ensuing days, so was able to go ahead with the scheduled colonoscopy. Drinking the prep stuff and cleaning out the system is the most annoying thing with a colonoscopy. For the procedure, they hook you up to monitors and give you an IV and put you to sleep and you wake up 30 minutes later not having felt a thing. The doctor found nothing concerning, so hopefully when I go through it again in 10 years I can at least forego the nose-jab COVID-testing step.

Had the test this past Sunday for pre-op as well. Only one nostril and the back of the throat. Took about 10 seconds and probably 2-3 were not great, but wasn’t a terrible experience. 

Did the dude also hold your balls and make you cough? Wasn’t sure that was part of the Covid test, maybe  he was being extra thorough 😂😂

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Had the test this past Sunday for pre-op as well. Only one nostril and the back of the throat. Took about 10 seconds and probably 2-3 were not great, but wasn’t a terrible experience. 

Did the dude also hold your balls and make you cough? Wasn’t sure that was part of the Covid test, maybe  he was being extra thorough 😂😂

Ya know, when released from the hospital they gave my wife my packet of paperwork, including photos taken during the colonoscopy. I think one of the pictures is of someone's hand grasping my balls. Based on a conversation I had with the nurse as she was getting me ready, I'm guessing she was just trying to make me as comfortable as possible during the procedure. Of course, I was out cold so am not sure if it was her hand, or the fellow performing the exam. Nice of them to care so much about me, either way. I told my wife they recommend similar treatment of my body for the foreseeable future.

• Haha 2

Good luck on your recovery. I just had ankle ligament reconstruction/repair surgery. The nerve blocker wore off early this morning and the pain scale felt about 11, the Hydrocodone wasn’t doing shit for that. 

I also am due / overdue to get the colonoscopy this year so that will be a bit down the road, but I’ll take your nurse for that. 😂

3 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Just curious 

did the exam room look like this ??

D96F1612-DCCE-41D0-80EB-E81B0610E1D8.jpeg

I’ve had three colonoscopies since age 50 (ten years apart) and the only bad part was the liquid.

At 73 I have moderate aortic stenosis which is heart valve disease.  I am probably 1 to 3 years away from a new revolutionary several hour procedure (within past 5-6 years) called TAVR.  Prior to this they cut your chest open for open heart surgery.  Now, they go all the way into your heart through a vein in your leg. Perhaps two nights in the hospital instead of 2 weeks.

The number of hospitals that do this are limited and realistically there are probably 25-30 around the U. S. to use.

YOU ARE AWAKE FOR THE PROCEDURE!!!

95% success rate, should last 10+ years.  

But awake when they literally maneuver the new valve inside your heart.

🍷

• Thanks 1

I saw a study once, long ago, saying the medical profession was overselling colonoscopies. Not worth the discomfort, worry, and cost.

There are 5 possibilities :

1. They find something that would have killed you, and they save you...That's good, right?

2. They find nothing...which means you went through all that worry, discomfort and expense for nothing.

3. They find something, but it's so slow developing that you'd die of old age before it could kill you...not worth the worry discomfort, pain.

4. They find something, but it's too late to save you...You'd have been better off not knowing until it starts to bother you.

5. The test is inconclusive. They found something, but they aren't sure what it is...you need more tests. And guess what... When you take the new test(s), the same 5 possibilities apply all over again.

• Thumbs Down 1

19 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

I saw a study once, long ago, saying the medical profession was overselling colonoscopies. Not worth the discomfort, worry, and cost.

There are 5 possibilities :

1. They find something that would have killed you, and they save you...That's good, right?

2. They find nothing...which means you went through all that worry, discomfort and expense for nothing.

3. They find something, but it's so slow developing that you'd die of old age before it could kill you...not worth the worry discomfort, pain.

4. They find something, but it's too late to save you...You'd have been better off not knowing until it starts to bother you.

5. The test is inconclusive. They found something, but they aren't sure what it is...you need more tests. And guess what... When you take the new test(s), the same 5 possibilities apply all over again.

Colon cancer is showing up in younger and younger people.  And is typically more aggressive in younger patients.  The positive rate of colonoscopies for adenomatous polyps is quite high - 30-50%.  These are premalignant polyps.  The issue is how many would become cancer if not removed.