Small hands = lesser athletic ability?

ChimpGrip

52 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Would you say this is true? My hands are 7 inches from base of palm to tip of middle finger, making closing heavy grippers very difficult. Embarrassing. Kyler Murray is small but has 9.5” hands based on the NFL combine.

I read somewhere that Tony Gwynn had tiny hands. 

1 hour ago, ChimpGrip said:

Would you say this is true? My hands are 7 inches from base of palm to tip of middle finger, making closing heavy grippers very difficult. Embarrassing. Kyler Murray is small but has 9.5” hands based on the NFL combine.

It’s gotta mean something, that’s one of the biggest things they test for in college and pro drafts is the size of your hands 

I had a friend of the family that would try to just Crush you every time he shook your hand and roll your knuckles while doing it. If you simply locked the webbing between your thumb and your forefinger into their webbing no matter how big the hand is they cannot dominate you. A piss this guy off so much I loved it and I have pretty big hands

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

I had a friend of the family that would try to just Crush you every time he shook your hand and roll your knuckles while doing it. If you simply locked the webbing between your thumb and your forefinger into their webbing no matter how big the hand is they cannot dominate you. A piss this guy off so much I loved it and I have pretty big hands

Very interesting. I have near world class grip strength but small hands will almost make it impossible for me to close my goal grippers. 

5 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Probably common with great athletes, not necessarily a predictor of athletic ability

It can assist with certain "sports movements" such as being able to palm a basketball, or have a stronger pull/stroke in swimming...

But the actual "size" of ones hand has absolutely nothing to do with how "athletic" (defined as 1) balance, 2) speed, 3)strength)  you are.....

2 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

Hand size is 100% essential for todays QB's..

Here...I'll fix that for you...

A Minimum hand size, as in enough to properly grip and throw a football, is 100% essential for any modern QB.....Beyond that one can assume larger hands would would only inhibit "athletic ability" (defined as 1)balance 2)speed 3)strength ) ....

(at a minimum it would slow down throw velocity, shorten distance, and require more 'strength' to throw....  all others things equal)

Your welcome. 😉

On 6/20/2020 at 2:03 PM, Troll said:

It can assist with certain "sports movements" such as being able to palm a basketball, or have a stronger pull/stroke in swimming...

But the actual "size" of ones hand has absolutely nothing to do with how "athletic" (defined as 1) balance, 2) speed, 3)strength)  you are.....

RIght. I just wish I had bigger hands so harder grippers would not be so extra difficult. 

Just now, CODBEARD said:

so if someone says to you " Man, get a grip!".. you can say I already got one , how many would you like?   haha

Yeah I have small hands but have closed the Captains of Crush #3 gripper, something most people (even guys stronger than me) can't do. Something I can be proud of.......