Darterblue this is for you

HSFBfan

https://m.theepochtimes.com/rice-university-students-demand-black-only-space-on-campus_3400626.html?fbclid=IwAR3mpTomouLfoUEa45kAoTJw8hqNh7cuhPAhyqoCXXM8u62pq42cg4cSzlQ

Should we give these black students what they want and go back to segregation? If so did MLK sacrifice his life for nothing 

Its been over 50 years since his assassination and we now have blacks that want their own spaces which is what this country did 

So either we fight back against these ideals of segregation or we completely wasted time desegregation 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

https://m.theepochtimes.com/rice-university-students-demand-black-only-space-on-campus_3400626.html?fbclid=IwAR3mpTomouLfoUEa45kAoTJw8hqNh7cuhPAhyqoCXXM8u62pq42cg4cSzlQ

Should we give these black students what they want and go back to segregation? If so did MLK sacrifice his life for nothing 

Its been over 50 years since his assassination and we now have blacks that want their own spaces which is what this country did 

So either we fight back against these ideals of segregation or we completely wasted time desegregation 

Please explain to me why you think the above article is for me. I am curious to know why you would think that. 

• Haha 1

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Please explain to me why you think the above article is for me. I am curious to know why you would think that. 

Because I actually value what u have to say. So I probably titled this wrong. It was supposed to be like darter blue please give me ur opinion on this 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Because I actually value what u have to say. So I probably titled this wrong. It was supposed to be like darter blue please give me ur opinion on this 

Fair enough. I will give you my opinion. But before I do, I am going to add context for what I have to say. 

I was born and raised in the Caribbean island of Jamaica. I lived there till I was 27. I have lived in the USA since. Some of my ancestors hailed from West Africa. As best as I have been able to track that side of my ancestry down, from Ghana and the Ivory Coast. But in addition to having West African ancestry, I also have ancestors that were Sephardic Jews, who hailed from Spain and Italy before coming to Jamaica; South China; and, as best as I can tell, Scotland. So, in that sense, I am a minority's minority. Growing up in Jamaica, I spent half my childhood (when mom and dad were together, and four years with dad post breakup) between a bucolic, country town, Buff Bay and Rollington Town/Rockfort, two working class communities in Kingston. The second half of my childhood was spent with mom in East Central Kingston, and urban, Kingston ghetto. Back then, and probably today, about 93% of Jamaicans would, to the American eye, be seen as African Americans if they lived here. The remainder would be seen as unclassifiable, or as one of: white, Chinese or East Indian.  Based on my ethnic diversity, I have been viewed in the USA, by some not all, to belong in the unclassified category. As such, I have been mistaken for being Hispanic, as well as middle eastern. The point I am trying to make is that I am and will always be a minority in any country in which I choose to live. I believe that gives me a unique, outsider's perspective when it comes to race and ethnic identification.

During my time in Jamaica, I never experienced overt racism. Yes, people get given nick names based on how they look, and color certainly factored into such nick names, but they were never used in a disparaging way. Are they racists in Jamaica? Of course. There are racists in every country in the world in which different ethnic groups live. But it was never considered acceptable in the Jamaica I grew up in to act in a racist way towards others. So, it was actually when I came to the USA that I experienced overt racism for the first time. Generally, I handled it well, as I was not in fear for my physical well being. However, there was one instance in New Jersey involving the cops in which I was in grave fear for my life. I recounted this a few years ago when I first started posting, so I won't repeat the incident in this post. 

So, where am I going with all of this? Jamaican slaves were emancipated about 27 years before America's. However, unlike conditions in the USA, Jamaica was never widely settled by Europeans. Therefore, when slavery ended in Jamaica, it ended. There was no Jim Crow, no lynchings, none of that crap. Many former slaves "captured" plots of hillside land and became self sufficient. Therein lies the reason, in my opinion, why Jamaican's attitudes toward race are healthier than prevailing attitudes here. Free people, or at least people with the perception that they are free, relate to others that look differently in a more healthy way. 

America is at a cross roads in my opinion. It can accept the fact that it is a pluralistic, multi-racial society or it can fracture into different countries. The choice is with its people. I don't pretend to know what would be better and it is probably not reasonable for me to proffer suggestions since I will forever be a "foreigner." With that said, how do I view the demands of the students cited in the article? I view them as unreasonable and unrealistic for the most part. I have no issue with having organizations in a campus setting that largely revolve around race, country of origin or ethnicity. However, to demand a safe space on the campus of Rice which is largely white makes no sense in today's context. If you are not comfortable at a school like Rice, there are other good options available. If the African American community at Rice feels it is being discriminated against or threatened, it certainly has the right to petition University administration and demonstrate if redress is not forthcoming. But I don't think the school owes any community separate buildings, etc. 

My answer has been long winded because that is who I am. I have never opened a Twitter account as I could never express myself effectively in that medium. Whether you agree with my position or not, I trust I have made it clear where I am coming from. 

• Thanks 3
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Fair enough. I will give you my opinion. But before I do, I am going to add context for what I have to say. 

I was born and raised in the Caribbean island of Jamaica. I lived there till I was 27. I have lived in the USA since. Some of my ancestors hailed from West Africa. As best as I have been able to track that side of my ancestry down, from Ghana and the Ivory Coast. But in addition to having West African ancestry, I also have ancestors that were Sephardic Jews, who hailed from Spain and Italy before coming to Jamaica; South China; and, as best as I can tell, Scotland. So, in that sense, I am a minority's minority. Growing up in Jamaica, I spent half my childhood (when mom and dad were together, and four years with dad post breakup) between a bucolic, country town, Buff Bay and Rollington Town/Rockfort, two working class communities in Kingston. The second half of my childhood was spent with mom in East Central Kingston, and urban, Kingston ghetto. Back then, and probably today, about 93% of Jamaicans would, to the American eye, be seen as African Americans if they lived here. The remainder would be seen as unclassifiable, or as one of: white, Chinese or East Indian.  Based on my ethnic diversity, I have been viewed in the USA, by some not all, to belong in the unclassified category. As such, I have been mistaken for being Hispanic, as well as middle eastern. The point I am trying to make is that I am and will always be a minority in any country in which I choose to live. I believe that gives me a unique, outsider's perspective when it comes to race and ethnic identification.

During my time in Jamaica, I never experienced overt racism. Yes, people get given nick names based on how they look, and color certainly factored into such nick names, but they were never used in a disparaging way. Are they racists in Jamaica? Of course. There are racists in every country in the world in which different ethnic groups live. But it was never considered acceptable in the Jamaica I grew up in to act in a racist way towards others. So, it was actually when I came to the USA that I experienced overt racism for the first time. Generally, I handled it well, as I was not in fear for my physical well being. However, there was one instance in New Jersey involving the cops in which I was in grave fear for my life. I recounted this a few years ago when I first started posting, so I won't repeat the incident in this post. 

So, where am I going with all of this? Jamaican slaves were emancipated about 27 years before America's. However, unlike conditions in the USA, Jamaica was never widely settled by Europeans. Therefore, when slavery ended in Jamaica, it ended. There was no Jim Crow, no lynchings, none of that crap. Many former slaves "captured" plots of hillside land and became self sufficient. Therein lies the reason, in my opinion, why Jamaican's attitudes toward race are healthier than prevailing attitudes here. Free people, or at least people with the perception that they are free, relate to others that look differently in a more healthy way. 

America is at a cross roads in my opinion. It can accept the fact that it is a pluralistic, multi-racial society or it can fracture into different countries. The choice is with its people. I don't pretend to know what would be better and it is probably not reasonable for me to proffer suggestions since I will forever be a "foreigner." With that said, how do I view the demands of the students cited in the article? I view them as unreasonable and unrealistic for the most part. I have no issue with having organizations in a campus setting that largely revolve around race, country of origin or ethnicity. However, to demand a safe space on the campus of Rice which is largely white makes no sense in today's context. If you are not comfortable at a school like Rice, there are other good options available. If the African American community at Rice feels it is being discriminated against or threatened, it certainly has the right to petition University administration and demonstrate if redress is not forthcoming. But I don't think the school owes any community separate buildings, etc. 

My answer has been long winded because that is who I am. I have never opened a Twitter account as I could never express myself effectively in that medium. Whether you agree with my position or not, I trust I have made it clear where I am coming from. 

Thats a great response. And I have no issue with anything you had to say. I was very excited to see what u had to say 

This demand sounds really racist especially if the people advocating for it did not report any incidents that would make them feel unsafe on the campus to begin with. 

And what white person would want to hang around with these racist assholes anyways?  Sounds like some radicalized Malcolm X wannabes. 

If they would have said that they are interested in speaking to the university about creating an area where they can hold dialogue about African-American issues that sounds great.  But for them to say they want a space sectioned off and whites are not allowed to essentially trespass is as racist as it comes. Especially in 2020. 

An exercise that anyone at home can participate in is “Is it fucking racist”? The way the game works is you take a headline or subject and you put “white” instead of “black”, and “black” instead of “white”  is it fucking racist? 

So in this example if some white students ask the University to segregate off a section for whites only would it be racist?  If your answer is yes but think it’s perfectly fine for the black students to do it congratulations you are a racist pile of shit

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

This demand sounds really racist especially if the people advocating for it did not report any incidents that would make them feel unsafe on the campus to begin with. 

And what white person would want to hang around with these racist assholes anyways?  Sounds like some radicalized Malcolm X wannabes. 

If they would have said that they are interested in speaking to the university about creating an area where they can hold dialogue about African-American issues that sounds great.  But for them to say they want a space sectioned off and whites are not allowed to essentially trespass is as racist as it comes. Especially in 2020. 

An exercise that anyone at home can participate in is “Is it fucking racist”? The way the game works is you take a headline or subject and you put “white” instead of “black”, and “black” instead of “white”  is it fucking racist? 

So in this example if some white students ask the University to segregate off a section for whites only would it be racist?  If your answer is yes but think it’s perfectly fine for the black students to do it congratulations you are a racist pile of shit

I just found out Malcolm x is buried in westchester County 

So to please these people should we go back to segregation 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Makes perfect common sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

The request is unreasonable... Personally I want everyone to work together and get a better understanding of each other... We don't need any segregated spaces like this one being requested... especially at Rice... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

The request is unreasonable... Personally I want everyone to work together and get a better understanding of each other... We don't need any segregated spaces like this one being requested... especially at Rice... 

This sounds like a fictions utopia other than the last part which I agree with 

On 7/9/2020 at 2:12 PM, Nolebull813 said:

My recommendation is give it to them and be grateful. Why not, finally given reparations to interned Japanese/Americans in WWW II in the 80s. 

What’s so hard about being compassionate? Are you uncomfortable with being gracious? What’s wrong with giving space to a group that has been fed shit sandwiches for 100s of years?

Not a good look Nole, you’re forgetting how this country was built and financed. 

Whites reign supreme in this country and you’re worried about a small group of marginalized people that represents 13% of the population and to date have received very little or next to nothing in the way of reparations or apology for heinous atrocities committed in the past. 

Your stance is shameful and embarrassing. 

bgw

Just now, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I disagree with the majority of the posters on this thread, I see nothing unreasonable about the request. 

Give it to them. 

Those that are uncomfortable with it, get over it... at least it’s nothing compared to what happened 100s of years ago. 

bgw

So than why did we desegregate?

There was no reason for mlk malcolm x jfk rfk etc to die. 

We could have stayed segregated all this time 

7 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

My recommendation is give it to them and be grateful. Why not, finally given reparations to interned Japanese/Americans in WWW II in the 80s. 

What’s so hard about being compassionate? Are you uncomfortable with being gracious? What’s wrong with giving space to a group that has been fed shit sandwiches for 100s of years?

To me reparations is a separate issue.

My take is: if I choose to go to a school like Rice or an Ivy League, or Duke for that matter, rational reasons are 1. It makes sense to do so, America is a majority white country, and to get ahead, I need to learn to navigate white spaces. 2. The school offers a better learning experience; therefore, shelling out the big bucks is worth it. 3. The school offers a better reputation than most schools; therefore, I am paying for that. 4. A lot of rich, well connected folks attend the school, this is my chance to network and make connections that will benefit my future career. 

By essentially walling yourself off into a safe space, you are automatically depriving yourself of some of the benefits of attending a Rice. So, off the bat, it does not make sense to do so. I would much rather learn to be around white people in a school commons where my future career is not potentially jeopardized than in corporate America when big bucks may be on the line. This is particularly important for an inner city type kid or deep rural kid that has never had exposure to white America. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

So than why did we desegregate?

There was no reason for mlk malcolm x jfk rfk etc to die. 

We could have stayed segregated all this time 

You're looking at this all wrong HSFB. These black students want to be able to get away from white college students. I'm white, but if I was in college, I'd want to get away from those ignorant, indoctrinated, pro Marxist (BLM), violent, intolerant, snot-nosed bratty white 18-20-somethings, who think they know it all, and who apologize for being white.

I know I wouldn't be welcome, but I'd sure rather go to the blacks-only safe spaces, than to socialize with those gullible, naive, commie-pinko pencil-necked sons and daughters of the drug-addled hippies of the 60s. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

To me reparations is a separate issue.

My take is: if I choose to go to a school like Rice or an Ivy League, or Duke for that matter, rational reasons are 1. It makes sense to do so, America is a majority white country, and to get ahead, I need to learn to navigate white spaces. 2. The school offers a better learning experience; therefore, shelling out the big bucks is worth it. 3. The school offers a better reputation than most schools; therefore, I am paying for that. 4. A lot of rich, well connected folks attend the school, this is my chance to network and make connections that will benefit my future career. 

By essentially walling yourself off into a safe space, you are automatically depriving yourself of some of the benefits of attending a Rice. So, off the bat, it does not make sense to do so. I would much rather learn to be around white people in a school commons where my future career is not potentially jeopardized than in corporate America when big bucks may be on the line. This is particularly important for an inner city type kid or deep rural kid that has never had exposure to white America. 

Yes, "life lessons"... but my point is why generate animus and hatred and feel so offended within as to react in a way to deepen the gulf of racial divide.

Give it to them and be gracious, can't be that bad to wall off a "safe space", we as people need to be more compassionate and mindful as to the cultural differences.

The situation with our brethren of color is unique to the U.S.,. The White Supremacists and hate groups that has shown an uptick in numbers since 2016 speaks to that... that shows weakness and simply put, these folks are clearly uncomfortable with "true" equality and co mingling of the races. The Klan is reincarnated in different ways.

Totally on board with the networking and navigating for the long game, but being at the game is no guarantee these issues are going away, or ensure any type of career choices. One just has to look to the bigotry that exists at private schools.

Respectfully,

bgw

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 3:10 PM, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

The stronger side needs to back down and not react, the White Supremacists and hate groups have given "energy" to  insignificant issue on a small scale, thereby escalating the issue.

Now, it's a big deal and politicized, do you think the brothers are gonna back down? I don't.

bgw

4 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

You're looking at this all wrong HSFB. These black students want to be able to get away from white college students. I'm white, but if I was in college, I'd want to get away from those ignorant, indoctrinated, pro Marxist (BLM), violent, intolerant, snot-nosed bratty white 18-20-somethings, who think they know it all, and who apologize for being white.

I know I wouldn't be welcome, but I'd sure rather go to the blacks-only safe spaces, than to socialize with those gullible, naive, commie-pinko pencil-necked sons and daughters of the drug-addled hippies of the 60s. 

Interesting take. 

Thanks,

bgw

3 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

The stronger side needs to back down and not react, the White Supremacists and hate groups have given "energy" to  insignificant issue on a small scale, thereby escalating the issue.

Now, it's a big deal and politicized, do you think the brothers are gonna back down? I don't.

bgw

Hell Nawl... I don't want to segregate anyone but  I'll be dammed if I sit back and let some hate group push me or mock me... 

I ain't no bitch 

• Haha 1