Sophomore HB in flexbone (wing)

IrishEckhart

16.8 YPC and no fumbles sounds like he should be getting a lot more touches. Assuming he’s not causing problems at practice, in the film room, or in the classroom of course. If Brian Kelly personally seeks you out after the game and says he’s keeping an eye out on you, then you know you have some skills. The flexbone is pretty dated and you don’t see that too much at the college level, maybe getting him into a different scheme at another school will open up some new doors for him. Balling out and then getting no touches the next game is super suspect, can’t expect to have a big game every week but with his talent he should make big contributions every game. I’d explore my options and look elsewhere after the season just to see if there’s a better fit. If that coach isn’t giving him any love on the field then he’s probably also not doing much to help out his recruiting either when the schools come calling. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IrishEckhart said:

First post but looking for some help/advice/support from others.  Over the past couple years I’ve become guardian of my niece (17)and nephews (16,15) all of whom are athletes.  My oldest nephew (16) played varsity and started a couple games at HB in the flexbone at wing for his high school his freshman year and had good success. This year in his sophomore year he has gained muscle mass and increased his speed. Being a local high school in the Notre Dame area he has even gotten the attention from ND coaching staff and Coach BK has even stopped him after a game his freshman year (they played BK sons team) and told him to keep up the good work and they would keep an out.

He has gotten bigger in muscle mass, studied film and improved on moves and route running in the passing game.  However, the coaching from his varsity this year has been suspect.  In only 7 games so far he is averaging only 6 carries per game, 16.8 yards per carry with his shortest run the entire season of 7 yards and longest run of 40 yards (TD) and not one fumble in his high school career so far. With a decent OL in front of him his carries have all been met with initial contact at the line and his power and evasiveness have shown to be productive.

Following a previous week highlight game of 7 carries, 153yds and 2 td’s his next game was the polar opposite.  Not even one touch came his way. 

My question for the forum is this...  after following a breakout game how can a play caller not even give one touch to a player who’s entire season and last season has been so consistent?

My phone has been blown up by surrounding area high school coaches all asking for myself and my nephew to come tour different schools because they are interested in his transfer to get more playing time on the field. 

Could anyone please give some advice, words of wisdom or tell me that I’m worrying about this too much. 

Many thanks, 

Send your nephew where ever he’s happy and best chance of earning a free college education, if your not getting carries your not gonna get offers, at end of day you gotta go where the coaches want you on the team, do your research on all the teams that have contacted you

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

16.8 YPC and no fumbles sounds like he should be getting a lot more touches. Assuming he’s not causing problems at practice, in the film room, or in the classroom of course. If Brian Kelly personally seeks you out after the game and says he’s keeping an eye out on you, then you know you have some skills. The flexbone is pretty dated and you don’t see that too much at the college level, maybe getting him into a different scheme at another school will open up some new doors for him. Balling out and then getting no touches the next game is super suspect, can’t expect to have a big game every week but with his talent he should make big contributions every game. I’d explore my options and look elsewhere after the season just to see if there’s a better fit. If that coach isn’t giving him any love on the field then he’s probably also not doing much to help out his recruiting either when the schools come calling. 

Thanks for the reply. I guess that’s where my confusion starts.  I try to keep my distance and be supportive and just say keep your attitude positive and grind away and it’ll all be ok.

Grades are good, maintains a 4.4gpa and is in all honors classes.  Is always the first to practice and sets up the drills for the HB’s and stays after practice usually 30-45mins and works on agility drills.  Coaches have always pointed him out for taking notes during film study and he’s ran film study many times when his backs coach couldn’t make it. 

Only knock I’ve gotten from the HC is that he wants to see my nephew get more size and says he’s a little undersized, something I’m not denying.  But he’s just turned 16 he stands 5’6, weighs 143lbs. But maxed out bench recently 190lbs, front squat 245lbs and dead lifts 325lbs he’s far from being weak for his size all while running a 4.56 40yd with top speed 21mph timed electronic.

After this recent game and no touches, although having excellent blocks the entire game and all the touchdowns (game won) coming from his side and his blocks leading to the scores. I had to ask his backs coach this morning after film if my nephew had a bad week in practice. His reply was that he had a great week in practice and continues to impress. His position coach said that when he (my nephew) went into motion each time the safety and db’s slide and that’s what lead to him being a decoy and not getting any touches. 

Maybe I can understand that to a degree. But to not get one single touch and see what happens at the line or point of contact seems questionable to me. All while the other wing ran for 9 carries, 23 yards and two fumbles. All scores came off the FB running off my nephews blocks for the four scoring td’s.

Again, thank you for the words of wisdom. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Why ask us these questions instead of discussing with the coach? 

Sometimes the coaches have plans beyond just the one game and use gamesmanship etc. leading up to the next game. In the game of football, everything isn't always about your kid, or one kid or whatever. 

Fair question.  As a guardian of my niece and nephews I’ve tried to not be the hover type of parent/guardian.  Teach them that the coach is always right and do what is best for the team. But after having parents come up to me after games and ask why isn’t he (my nephew) getting more touches or why didn’t he get any touch I just wanted to post on the forum and see what others have to add.

My nephews father, my late brother, was a HB and played for Osborne at Nebraska 93-96.  Growing up in sports we were always told to not question a coach and give your best and then the best will play.  Standing on the sidelines and watching my nephew I wouldn’t want to approach a coach with the attitude of my kids great whys he not playing while being blind to see that he lacks skill or understanding of the position. 

However, the stats he has put up and comments I’ve gotten from other area coaches have lead me to think maybe he’s not being coached up by his current staff. 

Thank you for your reply, 

• Like 1

Just now, IrishEckhart said:

Fair question.  As a guardian of my niece and nephews I’ve tried to not be the hover type of parent/guardian.  Teach them that the coach is always right and do what is best for the team. But after having parents come up to me after games and ask why isn’t he (my nephew) getting more touches or why didn’t he get any touch I just wanted to post on the forum and see what others have to add.

My nephews father, my late brother, was a HB and played for Osborne at Nebraska 93-96.  Growing up in sports we were always told to not question a coach and give your best and then the best will play.  Standing on the sidelines and watching my nephew I wouldn’t want to approach a coach with the attitude of my kids great whys he not playing while being blind to see that he lacks skill or understanding of the position. 

However, the stats he has put up and comments I’ve gotten from other area coaches have lead me to think maybe he’s not being coached up by his current staff. 

Thank you for your reply, 

I think that it isn't always about getting touches. While people love to see stats, I'd think that doing all the small things and the things the coaches need you to do or ask you to do are just as important in the big picture for college recruiters as well. 

It's a tough thing, trying to juggle the "me me me" mentality with sacrifice and character building by doing the little things. 

I certainly can understand both sides, so, I'm playing devils advocate a little as compared to the other answers. What I'm trying to get at is there is value in being selfless as well. What other parents/guardians think isn't really important. The folks that are saying these things to you may have some issue with the current coach already, or some other agenda underlying as well. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think that it isn't always about getting touches. While people love to see stats, I'd think that doing all the small things and the things the coaches need you to do or ask you to do are just as important in the big picture for college recruiters as well. 

It's a tough thing, trying to juggle the "me me me" mentality with sacrifice and character building by doing the little things. 

I certainly can understand both sides, so, I'm playing devils advocate a little as compared to the other answers. What I'm trying to get at is there is value in being selfless as well. What other parents/guardians think isn't really important. The folks that are saying these things to you may have some issue with the current coach already, or some other agenda underlying as well. 

I get it. And I understand your point to the counter point and it’s very much needed.  After film this morning my nephew has already added the highlight blocks from the game to his personal highlight reel.  

Just gets discouraging seeing the other HB at wing get touches in the game and two of them are fumbles because of bad ball handling technique and then a counter goes to the FB who has four fumbles in a game all while my nephew gets no hint of the ball all night. Use to a simpler age in coaching where after a fumble because of bad technique a player was taken out for a play or two so they understood what happened.  Now they just keep giving them the ball hoping it somehow magically fixes itself. 

Once again, I appreciate your comments and reply. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IrishEckhart said:

First post but looking for some help/advice/support from others.  Over the past couple years I’ve become guardian of my niece (17)and nephews (16,15) all of whom are athletes.  My oldest nephew (16) played varsity and started a couple games at HB in the flexbone at wing for his high school his freshman year and had good success. This year in his sophomore year he has gained muscle mass and increased his speed. Being a local high school in the Notre Dame area he has even gotten the attention from ND coaching staff and Coach BK has even stopped him after a game his freshman year (they played BK sons team) and told him to keep up the good work and they would keep an out.

He has gotten bigger in muscle mass, studied film and improved on moves and route running in the passing game.  However, the coaching from his varsity this year has been suspect.  In only 7 games so far he is averaging only 6 carries per game, 16.8 yards per carry with his shortest run the entire season of 7 yards and longest run of 40 yards (TD) and not one fumble in his high school career so far. With a decent OL in front of him his carries have all been met with initial contact at the line and his power and evasiveness have shown to be productive.

Following a previous week highlight game of 7 carries, 153yds and 2 td’s his next game was the polar opposite.  Not even one touch came his way. 

My question for the forum is this...  after following a breakout game how can a play caller not even give one touch to a player who’s entire season and last season has been so consistent?

My phone has been blown up by surrounding area high school coaches all asking for myself and my nephew to come tour different schools because they are interested in his transfer to get more playing time on the field. 

Could anyone please give some advice, words of wisdom or tell me that I’m worrying about this too much. 

Many thanks, 

Sounds like your nephew should transfer if he is that good the play calling should be around him or at least he should be getting more touches. Sounds like he could average over 100yrds rushing per game. Even in a spread offense he would be getting fed the ball a lot. Let him decide what he wants but I would think about getting him somewhere to get him a coach that is good in the college recruiting lanes. You should also take him too ND camps once things are opened up again. Players like that they allow to practice with the team to see how good they are. Had a QB down here go to a fsu camp and the coaches asked him to throw some balks with the team. Kid left with an offers as a rising 9th grader. My team used to be heavy wing t this year is the first year we have truly left it behind and the players have loved it.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ga96 said:

Sounds like your nephew should transfer if he is that good the play calling should be around him or at least he should be getting more touches. Sounds like he could average over 100yrds rushing per game. Even in a spread offense he would be getting fed the ball a lot. Let him decide what he wants but I would think about getting him somewhere to get him a coach that is good in the college recruiting lanes. You should also take him too ND camps once things are opened up again. Players like that they allow to practice with the team to see how good they are. Had a QB down here go to a fsu camp and the coaches asked him to throw some balks with the team. Kid left with an offers as a rising 9th grader. My team used to be heavy wing t this year is the first year we have truly left it behind and the players have loved it.

Thanks for the reply and insight.  Last summer in between baseball tournaments he attended a Penn State camp, Ball State camp and Wisconsin camp.  With Covid it’s definitely shaken things up.  A couple times last year he was able to go workout at the new ND indoor facility and work with the backs.

Im thankful and appreciative for all the support and comments.  Unfortunately with the school now it’s very QB centered in the flexbone followed by the FB and the wings are third with not many touches. 

The decision is his to make but I’m thinking after film review this morning followed by how the season has gone he understands a change needs to be made. 

Thanks for the reply, 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IrishEckhart said:

Thanks for the reply and insight.  Last summer in between baseball tournaments he attended a Penn State camp, Ball State camp and Wisconsin camp.  With Covid it’s definitely shaken things up.  A couple times last year he was able to go workout at the new ND indoor facility and work with the backs.

Im thankful and appreciative for all the support and comments.  Unfortunately with the school now it’s very QB centered in the flexbone followed by the FB and the wings are third with not many touches. 

The decision is his to make but I’m thinking after film review this morning followed by how the season has gone he understands a change needs to be made. 

Thanks for the reply, 

No problem would also want to make sure if he picks another school its one with good education and great students. Don't want him stuck at a school for football and being drained by having to deal with everything else. That's always my biggest worry with kids switching schools. Don't want kids feeling like loners or getting around the wrong kids 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Send your nephew where ever he’s happy and best chance of earning a free college education, if your not getting carries your not gonna get offers, at end of day you gotta go where the coaches want you on the team, do your research on all the teams that have contacted you

This or go FCS or DII.

• Thanks 1

At 5'6" he is a little small but having said that, our school rushing record holder was that size and one of our most explosive players last year and this is that size.  It's high school where everyone isn't huge.  I don't know what the rules are in your area about transfers.  Carefully check that out before you do anything and be careful about talking with other schools or their boosters until you do.  You don't want to take a chance of disqualifying him inadvertently.

Good luck with it no matter which way you go.  He sounds like a good kid that is doing all the right things.  That will pay off in the end even if there is short term pain.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2020 at 11:01 PM, Fred said:

At 5'6" he is a little small but having said that, our school rushing record holder was that size and one of our most explosive players last year and this is that size.  It's high school where everyone isn't huge.  I don't know what the rules are in your area about transfers.  Carefully check that out before you do anything and be careful about talking with other schools or their boosters until you do.  You don't want to take a chance of disqualifying him inadvertently.

Good luck with it no matter which way you go.  He sounds like a good kid that is doing all the right things.  That will pay off in the end even if there is short term pain.

Thank you for the reply.  After giving it 48hrs to soak my nephew is going to shop around this off-season.  When he’s a bigger piece of the puzzle (more than 6 touches) on offense and the return game the teams record is 4-0. When he’s not (fewer than 5 touches) the teams record is 1-5.

This past Saturday they found out they’ll miss the playoffs so his season will be done this week. Hoping to go out with a big game. 

Saturday night and into Sunday all day both his cell and my cell were blowing up with messages from other teams coaches, players and AD’s inviting him to come to practices for playoff week and to attend the playoff games with a view from the sideline or the box. 

We will see what the future has in store.  

Many thanks for the reply’s and suggestions, 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, IrishEckhart said:

Thank you for the reply.  After giving it 48hrs to soak my nephew is going to shop around this off-season.  When he’s a bigger piece of the puzzle (more than 6 touches) on offense and the return game the teams record is 4-0. When he’s not (fewer than 5 touches) the teams record is 1-5.

This past Saturday they found out they’ll miss the playoffs so his season will be done this week. Hoping to go out with a big game. 

Saturday night and into Sunday all day both his cell and my cell were blowing up with messages from other teams coaches, players and AD’s inviting him to come to practices for playoff week and to attend the playoff games with a view from the sideline or the box. 

We will see what the future has in store.  

Many thanks for the reply’s and suggestions, 

Thanks for coming back and giving us an update. 

• Thanks 1