So, about the Arik kid,

georgiagator1

Will be interesting to see what happens. He may have to sit a year, but Mullen told him they could overcome that. 

Killed himself draftwise. LSU is gonna spill the beans on his time there and it will bring a lot of character questions to light. But good people make bad decisions all the time so what do you do. 

From the playing against us standpoint, if he’s eligible, not worried. We beat Florida in the swamp without him a few months ago and that team is light years better than the 21 version of Florida will be. 

I wish him luck and hope he has a great career. Hopefully he only cost himself millions and not tens of millions. Big drop in guaranteed money after the first round and the only thing that counts is the first contract. Blessed if you get to the league and unbelievably blessed to get a second contract. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sweetlarry said:

Will be interesting to see what happens. He may have to sit a year, but Mullen told him they could overcome that. 

Killed himself draftwise. LSU is gonna spill the beans on his time there and it will bring a lot of character questions to light. But good people make bad decisions all the time so what do you do. 

From the playing against us standpoint, if he’s eligible, not worried. We beat Florida in the swamp without him a few months ago and that team is light years better than the 21 version of Florida will be. 

I wish him luck and hope he has a great career. Hopefully he only cost himself millions and not tens of millions. Big drop in guaranteed money after the first round and the only thing that counts is the first contract. Blessed if you get to the league and unbelievably blessed to get a second contract. 

Were character issues an issue when he was at Marietta? 

15 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Don't see how that would work when they already have Darnell Washington

Washington had seven catches in 12 games. Got bullied by linebackers and safeties all season long. Dropped a ton of passes. That kid was rated highly as an athlete off freakish size and athletic talent but he certainly didn’t deliver year one (nor do I see him ever, just isn’t a great TE) 

Kirby was recruiting Gilbert hard in press conferences and games down the stretch. They were all in on Arik. Unfortunately for Kirby AG saw what Florida did with Pitts in Mullens offensive system and determined that to be a better fit (he’s not wrong) 

He would’ve won more games at Georgia but if he’s looking for production this was the better route. He also links up with former teammate Rashad Torrence again I’m sure that helped a lot. They grew up together both at Woodward before transferring to Marietta.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ATLien12x said:

Washington had seven catches in 12 games. Got bullied by linebackers and safeties all season long. Dropped a ton of passes. That kid was rated highly as an athlete off freakish size and athletic talent but he certainly didn’t deliver year one (nor do I see him ever, just isn’t a great TE) 

Kirby was recruiting Gilbert hard in press conferences and games down the stretch. They were all in on Arik. Unfortunately for Kirby AG saw what Florida did with Pitts in Mullens offensive system and determined that to be a better fit (he’s not wrong) 

He would’ve won more games at Georgia but if he’s looking for production this was the better route. He also links up with former teammate Rashad Torrence again I’m sure that helped a lot. They grew up together both at Woodward before transferring to Marietta.  

Uhhh.... Idk bout this one. Whenever I watched him play this past season, he was laying MFers outin the run game. Also, I never saw him drop a ton of passes. He was barely getting thrown to. 

Hard to speculate really.......in this day in time especially. I don't know what the beans are. We will survive either way.

https://www.lsuodyssey.com/post/arik-gilbert-transfers

When he threatened a transfer after the Alabama game, tons of rumors (some of them lies, some of them true) began to fly around about Arik's character, his work ethic, and striking speculation about hard partying...but nothing outweighs the fact that this incredible talent was actually on the cusp of an LSU suspension for conduct we will not report here at this time.

Coach O didn't do the best job covering it up with the "homesick" line, although the truth is Arik was actually protected by Coach Orgeron and his staff...

So....after a month where LSU fans publicly speculated on his mindset, commitment, his character and recreational activities, Gilbert chose the least shocking response possible.....transferring out of Baton Rouge on a day where 9 of the country's top 2021 athletes were announcing.

16 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

I ask because you mentioned how character will be brought into question. Kinda hard to believe that character will be questioned since he decided to transfer after a pretty good freshman season. 

I am not gonna speak ill on the kid as I sincerely like him. There’s a lot of stuff out there that’s public knowledge and when kids make big boy decisions, they need to understand the big boy consequences that come along with them. 

I wish him success and a long, healthy career along with putting himself in a position to do so on all fronts. 

• Like 2