Concussion lawsuit by H.S. parents dumped by judge

reporter

Judge ejects Santa Fe parents' concussion lawsuit alleging school football caused permanent damage https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Judge-ejects-Santa-Fe-parents-concussion-16268120.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral via @houstonchron

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Paywall. 

bgw

Yeah I see that this morning. It wasn't there when I first found a working link for the story. 

It boils down to the judge said the parents have no constitutional standing to sue the school system more or less. 

Let's try this link...

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/judge-dismisses-lawsuit-from-former-santa-fe-high-student-alleging-football-practice-caused-brain-damage

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yeah I see that this morning. It wasn't there when I first found a working link for the story. 

It boils down to the judge said the parents have no constitutional standing to sue the school system more or less. 

Let's try this link...

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/judge-dismisses-lawsuit-from-former-santa-fe-high-student-alleging-football-practice-caused-brain-damage

I do like the measures and protocols Buford has in place, pretty sensitive to injuries and whatnot. It also helps being a smaller community that is responsive to issues. 

Sounds like Santa Fe has issues beyond a lawsuit, it’s my feeling these parents are compelled to litigate to be heard. Then there’s the shooting incident that was mentioned. Sad. 

bgw

• Like 1

This kid was also shot in a school shooting at the same school. 

I wonder if the parents will sue the school system for that too? 🤔

Seems to me, at this point in time, you should have reasonable knowledge and expectations surrounding the culture of football and potential strikes to the head/concussions. Idk whether we should have reasonable expectations that our kids may be shot while in their classroom though. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I do like the measures and protocols Buford has in place, pretty sensitive to injuries and whatnot. It also helps being a smaller community that is responsive to issues. 

Sounds like Santa Fe has issues beyond a lawsuit, it’s my feeling these parents are compelled to litigate to be heard. Then there’s the shooting incident that was mentioned. Sad. 

bgw

Idk. People sue McDonald's when they spill their coffee on themselves. I think people just want to sue and claim some moral high ground. 

There's a reasonable expectation that there will be head to head contact during football practices and games. If you still are choosing to play the sport, then, responsibility for your own well being should be on you. 

If there is a kid playing or practicing in a clearly unsafe manner and is facing your kid, and the coaches are allowing this without correction, then, maybe you'd have some standing against the coaches or school system. Idk. I guess they'll be appealing. We'll see. 

20 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

bgw

I believe ALL Georgia High Schools have these measures In place. 

In order to coach, at any level, you have to take some pretty stringent concussion protocol testing. I think it’s a great idea. 

The one variable that nobody can overcome is getting to the kids that show no immediate signs and refuse to say anything to their coaches to come forward. Many are looked at, even in today’s climate, as sissies. It’s scary stuff.

I’d have zero issues if my Son came to me and said he was done playing, unless it was because of issues with the staff treating kids unfairly. I’m not talking about make them work their butts off unfairly. That’s football. I’m talking favoritism and things like that. Treat them all the same and if it’s your Son be harder on him. JMO

Concussions and their after effects are real. Repetitive head trauma causes issues down the road. Talking to some of those for NFL players on Monday you  could tell that CTE Ana’s set in and their futures are gonna be rough in many cases. I guess that’s part of the reason why these guys make the money they do. The trade off. 

54 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Idk. People sue McDonald's when they spill their coffee on themselves. I think people just want to sue and claim some moral high ground. 

There's a reasonable expectation that there will be head to head contact during football practices and games. If you still are choosing to play the sport, then, responsibility for your own well being should be on you. 

If there is a kid playing or practicing in a clearly unsafe manner and is facing your kid, and the coaches are allowing this without correction, then, maybe you'd have some standing against the coaches or school system. Idk. I guess they'll be appealing. We'll see. 

Paragraph 3 resonating real well, yeah definitely the litigating variety to “get paid” is out there. 

bgw

40 minutes ago, Sweetlarry said:

guess that’s part of the reason why these guys make the money they do. The trade off.

I would argue that these guys are looking at the money now compared to what they made and what we know now versus what was known back then….

Does every GHSA member have a lead trainer with a physician on call and use soft padded helmets for practice without pads? 

bgw

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I would argue that these guys are looking at the money now compared to what they made and what we know now versus what was known back then….

Does every GHSA member have a lead trainer with a physician on call and use soft padded helmets for practice without pads? 

bgw

I don't think the padded helmets are mandatory. Colquitt backed out of the FSU 7v7 because of safety reasons. They were not requiring players to wear helmets. Too much risk of banging heads there without the helmet. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

bgw

Hindsight is always 20/20.

I would guess all have lead trainers. I know Marietta does (Coach Hopp) and he was awarded best in the state either this season or last. He has worked on both of my kids and knows his stuff. They log every single injury and follow up. A great staff for us. 

Marietta does not have the soft helmets, that I know of. Just use regulars ones when out of pads. Many kids have their own from different camps and what not. As a former boxer, I don’t think the padded helmets are a big concussion deferent. I think they are more to avoid headbutts and gashes around the eyes. At least that’s the case for boxing. 

• Like 1

People should not sign their kids up for full contact sports if they're that worried about it. 

There are sports for them, still with some risk involved, but, if you're worried about repetitive contact just miss football and hockey altogether.  Sign up for flag football and chorus instead. 

I think an educated parent is a good parent. Metro has a ton of educated parents, some are trolling problem seeking missiles as evidenced by their behavior on social media. 
I take comfort in the fact that Buford is about right things and don’t worry too much about it, the circle is small, tight well oiled and well run. 
I can understand parents having concerns and questions. Suggesting an good athlete to take up badminton or modern dance is the reason there are litigants. Question or concerns  in the midst of a machismo culture is admirable. 

bgw

40 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I think an educated parent is a good parent. Metro has a ton of educated parents, some are trolling problem seeking missiles as evidenced by their behavior on social media. 
I take comfort in the fact that Buford is about right things and don’t worry too much about it, the circle is small, tight well oiled and well run. 
I can understand parents having concerns and questions. Suggesting an good athlete to take up badminton or modern dance is the reason there are litigants. Question or concerns  in the midst of a machismo culture is admirable. 

bgw

Point is, if they ask, and they're told there is no way to play American football without contact to the head, and they have concerns about contact to the head, maybe they need to try chess club. 

Idk about these particular folks. We have no back story. Whether they asked and were shunned by staff and doctors or what, we just don't know. Apparently the judge thinks they don't have a legal standing. I'm going to assume they've signed waivers. It isn't that much different than signs on businesses during the pandemic saying you enter at your own risk and the store has taken reasonable action to keep you safe. Outside of disallowing contact, which pretty much eliminates the sport altogether, there isn't a lot a school system can do to protect a kid playing.football from being struck in the head. How can we hold the school liable for the kid being struck in the head then? 

Me, I'm being a funny man on a message board. They need to go try chorus.

We are all smart enough to know there are inherent risks of concussion and definitely that there will be some amount of contact to the helmet/head. At least I hope we know enough about football here to realize that. There have been numerous changes to the sport already. There simply isn't a way to avoid contact to the head altogether. 

Most if not all schools have doctors and concussion protocols in place. I'm pretty happy with what I see in Colquitt as far as that goes myself. I don't have a kid on the field though, so, I don't feel all mama hen about it either, so there is that. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Point is, if they ask, and they're told there is no way to play American football without contact to the head, and they have concerns about contact to the head, maybe they need to try chess club. 

Idk about these particular folks. We have no back story. Whether they asked and were shunned by staff and doctors or what, we just don't know. Apparently the judge thinks they don't have a legal standing. I'm going to assume they've signed waivers. It isn't that much different than signs on businesses during the pandemic saying you enter at your own risk and the store has taken reasonable action to keep you safe. Outside of disallowing contact, which pretty much eliminates the sport altogether, there isn't a lot a school system can do to protect a kid playing.football from being struck in the head. How can we hold the school liable for the kid being struck in the head then? 

Me, I'm being a funny man on a message board. They need to go try chorus.

We are all smart enough to know there are inherent risks of concussion and definitely that there will be some amount of contact to the helmet/head. At least I hope we know enough about football here to realize that. There have been numerous changes to the sport already. There simply isn't a way to avoid contact to the head altogether. 

Most if not all schools have doctors and concussion protocols in place. I'm pretty happy with what I see in Colquitt as far as that goes myself. I don't have a kid on the field though, so, I don't feel all mama hen about it either, so there is that. 

Now, switching gears… we know Georgia publics are strong, are the concussion protocols universal GHSA member wide with no slippage? Tax payer entity and all that? You could swap staffs and not miss a beat?

We know Buford, Colquitt, Marietta et al…. We’ve heard, even though Larry is definitely punch drunk. 😵💫

bgw

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Now, switching gears… we know Georgia public’s are strong, are the concussion protocols universal GHSA member wide with no slippage? Tax payer entity and all that?

We know Buford, Colquitt, Marietta et al…. We’ve heard, even though Larry is definitely punch drunk. 😵💫

bgw

No Jungle juice here at ACC today, but the Tito’s & Natalie’s is a helluva replacement!!!

😂 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sweetlarry said:

Hindsight is always 20/20.

I would guess all have lead trainers. I know Marietta does (Coach Hopp) and he was awarded best in the state either this season or last. He has worked on both of my kids and knows his stuff. They log every single injury and follow up. A great staff for us. 

Marietta does not have the soft helmets, that I know of. Just use regulars ones when out of pads. Many kids have their own from different camps and what not. As a former boxer, I don’t think the padded helmets are a big concussion deferent. I think they are more to avoid headbutts and gashes around the eyes. At least that’s the case for boxing. 

Why doesn't boxing make it mandatory to wear head gear , do you think ,  if it can help with cuts and head trauma ?  But i guess it defeats the purpose of trying to bash the other guys head in . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Why doesn't boxing make it mandatory to wear head gear , do you think ,  if it can help with cuts and head trauma ?  But i guess it defeats the purpose of trying to bash the other guys head in . 

I don’t know. I will say this for head gear, JMO, I think when it gets heavier (wet with water and sweat) it does interfere with head movement. Makes it a bit tougher to slip punches. Also starts moving a lot and causes you to adjust it while boxing. Do that at the wrong time and you’ll get caught. 

Again, as far as actual protection from concussions go I don’t think there’s any benefit. 

• Like 1