Another example the GHSA could learn from.

HooverOutlaw

This kid was going to a private school quit then wanted to attend his local public school then the AHSAA said no because of overlapping boundaries. So he moved to Navarre/Fort Walton beach area.  This is just another example of how to stop transfers 

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2021/08/florida-4-star-2022-lb-commit-shemar-james-leaving-faith-academy.html

Story of him going to Florida 

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2021/08/florida-4-star-lb-commit-shemar-james-will-play-final-season-in-florida.html

It is called smart leadership something the GHSA lacks.  

The kid goes straight to the AHSAA ask if it is ok to transfer to Blount they tell him no. Unlike the GHSA who puts it on the schools.  This could have been another Valdosta mess.  But one phone call to the Ahsaa ended a possible major problem.  GHSA are lazy and incompetent. They want the schools to do their job. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

This kid was going to a private school quit then wanted to attend his local public school then the AHSAA said no because of overlapping boundaries. So he moved to Navarre/Fort Walton beach area.  This is just another example of how to stop transfers 

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2021/08/florida-4-star-2022-lb-commit-shemar-james-leaving-faith-academy.html

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2021/08/florida-4-star-lb-commit-shemar-james-will-play-final-season-in-florida.html

The kid goes straight to the AHSAA ask if it is ok to transfer to Blount they tell him no. Unlike the GHSA who puts it on the schools.  This could have been another Valdosta mess.  But one phone call to the Ahsaa ended a possible major problem.  GHSA are lazy and incompetent. They want the schools to do their job. 

That's way overkill. Communist-like if you ask me. A student-athlete should never be prohibited from attending their local high school. At worst, they should be forced to sit out the first 30 days of their respective sport's season if they xfer in from another school. Those rules are nuts in this day and age. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Ngl I don't get this one.... 

He left a private school to go to a Public one.... 

But got denied because of Overlapping Boundaries? 

What the actual Fuck... 

It's Private to Public transfer...  

The GHSA wouldn't say No to that because it's Private to Public and Privates don't have a defined School Zone in Georgia.... 

Like Publics do.... 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

What the actual Fuck... 

The GHSA wouldn't say No to that because it's Private to Public and Privates don't have a defined School Zone in Georgia.... 

Like Publics do.... 

Privates in Alabama have a defined school zone. 

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

That's way overkill. Communist-like if you ask me. A student-athlete should never be prohibited from attending their local high school. At worst, they should be forced to sit out the first 30 days of their respective sport's season if they xfer in from another school. Those rules are nuts in this day and age. 

I have told you guys for years Alabama does not put up with that Atlanta metro wild west stuff.  Privates have defined boundaries. Normally they are much bigger than public schools. He could attend the school but not play sports.  Transferring in Alabama unless you are a military kid is a complicated deal it starts with a bonafide move and video proof.  The AHSAA move very slow doing investigations if something is questioned.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

What the actual Fuck... 

Like Publics do.... 

He can attend the school but not play sports. I hope you guys understand now how strict the AHSAA is on transfers now it is no joke.  

Just now, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

But that makes no sense to me...

Being legal to attend the school is a local school decision. Being legal to play sports is a AHSAA decision at that school. Hoover had a track kid move in he left his school on some kind of probation the AHSAA said he was not legal he attended school but played no sports.

4 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

I have told you guys for years Alabama does not put up with that Atlanta metro wild west stuff.  Privates have defined boundaries. Normally they are much bigger than public schools. He could attend the school but not play sports.  Transferring in Alabama unless you are a military kid is a complicated deal it starts with a bonafide move and video proof.  The AHSAA move very slow doing investigations if something is questioned.  

If I pay taxes in a town, how can my kids be prohibited from playing sports at their local, public school? Especially, if the xfer back wasn't athletics-related. Can't be legal. I'm surprised those rules haven't been challenged yet. I'd think that a recent law school grad could win that case. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

If I pay taxes in a town, how can my kids be prohibited from playing sports at their local, public school? Especially, if the xfer back wasn't athletics-related. Can't be legal. I'm surprised those rules haven't been challenged yet. I'd think that a recent law school grad could win that case. 

You are legal to attend the school because you live in the school zone or have parents working there. But that does not make legal to play sports by AHSAA rules just because you attend the school. 

Now do see what I have been talking about.

In 2007 Hoover forfeited 4 games because a kid moved in with his daddy who had lived in Hoover for 12 years but in the divorce the judge gave full custody to the mother who lived in north Alabama Cullman area. The state ruled his rightful home was with his mother and was illegal at Hoover so we forfeited the first 4 wins in September the kid was held out. Dad gets a hold of the judge he grants the father custody about 3 weeks later it is late October now . The AHSAA rules him legal and plays the last 5 games of the season. But still keep the forfeits against Hoover.

19 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

You are legal to attend the school because you live in the school zone or have parents working there. But that does not make legal to play sports by AHSAA rules just because you attend the school. 

Now do see what I have been talking about.

In 2007 Hoover forfeited 4 games because a kid moved in with his daddy who had lived in Hoover for 12 years but in the divorce the judge gave full custody to the mother who lived in north Alabama Cullman area. The state ruled his rightful home was with his mother and was illegal at Hoover so we forfeited the first 4 wins in September the kid was held out. Dad gets a hold of the judge he grants the father custody about 3 weeks later it is late October now . The AHSAA rules him legal and plays the last 5 games of the season. But still keep the forfeits against Hoover.

If it makes you feel any better... 

I'd rather be in Hoover than Cullman... 

And I wouldve told the Judge to eat my Shorts... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Let me make sure I'm understanding this correct.  The kid was playing for a private school and then wanted to attend his local public school and the AhSSa or whatever it's called said no?  And it's legal to deny a kid from going to his local private school?  In Cali this would totally fly.  Can't tell a kid he can't go to his local school.

1 minute ago, AztecPadre said:

Let me make sure I'm understanding this correct.  The kid was playing for a private school and then wanted to attend his local public school and the AhSSa or whatever it's called said no?  And it's legal to deny a kid from going to his local private school?  In Cali this would totally fly.  Can't tell a kid he can't go to his local school.

I'm kinda understanding it now.... 

Attending the local school wasn't the problem but they said no he couldn't participate in the schools Athletics.... 

Which I'm iffy on... but I've heard worse.... 

In Georgia a private to Public transfer he probably would've been cleared even if the schools where local and close to each other. 

On the grounds that it's a Legit transfer.... 

It takes alot to be declared inelligible by the GHSA.... 

In this case The AHSAA sounds kinda ridiculous.... 

But Public to Private transfers in Georgia are dirt easy for the reasons I stated earlier... 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

If it makes you feel any better... 

I'd rather be in Hoover than Cullman... 

And I wouldve told the Judge to eat my Shorts... 

Bro... these the type fools you find coming from Hoover these days...Thinking they hard and looking soft as marshmallows. Hahaha

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Again he can attend the school but not legal to play sports.

3 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Attending the local school wasn't the problem but they said no he couldn't participate in the schools Athletics.... 

In Georgia a private to Public transfer he probably would've been cleared even if the schools where local and close to each other. 

But Public to Private transfers in Georgia are dirt easy for the reasons I stated earlier... 

As long as the private school was a GISA and not a GHSA the transfer would be legal and he'd have eligibility straight away as long as he lives in the attendance zone of the public. 

Just now, HooverOutlaw said:

Again he can attend the school but not legal to play sports.

This is true in Georgia too. Nobody is stopping the kids from getting an education. It's encouraged. 

However, there are rules as it pertains to sports that are meant to keep good sportsmanship and fair play. They can go to school and not be eligible to play Varsity sports. 

5 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

That private is a member of the AHSAA.

• Like 1

I think that is how they avoid serious lawsuit challenges to the eligibility rules. 

Of course, I'm much like @HooverOutlaw on the way the GHSA handles it using an honor system when people are not generally honorable. Lol. Parents can't be trusted to not lie on eligibility forms and some coaches and AD's can't either. 

It would be preferable to have a clearing house at the GHSA to mostly get that under control.

• Like 1