Bosco / Bergen Week Part II

I AM IRONMAN

3 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Congrats to the Crusaders! An excellent team.

Proud of the Ironmen they hung tough and fought like hell. They have some young talent so the future looks good...LB #32 is a Soph and could be special.

Again great win/season to you BC bastards!😂

Well thank you Bosco Nation for appreciating our feat but I must in turn tip my hat to you my dear friends for your growth and your progression.  Tough game today but it I do think it came down to depth which we had and you were a little thin. #97 on your team is  baller and his injury changed the complex of this game. But I do say this with confidence. next year the target is on your backs for you are the favorites. Wear it well and Good Luck!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

Well thank you Bosco Nation for appreciating our feat but I must in turn tip my hat to you my dear friends for your growth and your progression.  Tough game today but it I do think it came down to depth which we had and you were a little thin. #97 on your team is  baller and his injury changed the complex of this game. But I do say this with confidence. next year the target is on your backs for you are the favorites. Wear it well and Good Luck!!!

Outstanding post! Until next year (except the court, mat, diamond, pool, alley

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Mickeybern said:

MB,  out of 10, bosco might win 1????,; 2-3 if they played perfect maybe???.  BC had more than depth on Bosco.  Bosco was young,  but BC has the better team right now, and to win all their games, and to shellac Hoban and Smyrna like that . . . great season

97's injury hurt, and agter a Q or 2 off, he limped a lot . . .  ok.  bosco had too many penalties, some unearned, most earned.  they needed a 5-to-10-yeard passing game.  and to be up 7-0, after stopping BC, scoring, and then blocking BC's punt so that Bosco was on BC's 15????  i thought that the momentum shifted, even if the crowd didn't know it.

most-crowded game ever.  40 minutes to get searched and tix scanned.  both sides packed

10 hours ago, Mickeybern said:

the injury to 97 killed us...you guys exploited it and ran the ball successfully to his side....the kid is only a sophomore!...he's a monster...next year looks real bright...our o-line will be our strength...and a Q.B. with experience! Looking forward to next year!

• Like 2

Just now, Testadura said:

MB,  out of 10, bosco might win 1????,; 2-3 if they played perfect maybe???.  BC had more than depth on Bosco.  Bosco was young,  but BC has the better team right now, and to win all their games, and to shellac Hoban and Smyrna like that . . . great season

97's injury hurt, and agter a Q or 2 off, he limped a lot . . .  ok.  bosco had too many penalties, some unearned, most earned.  they needed a 5-to-10-yeard passing game.  and to be up 7-0, after stopping BC, scoring, and then blocking BC's punt so that Bosco was on BC's 15????  i thought that the momentum shifted, even if the crowd didn't know it.

most-crowded game ever.  40 minutes to get searched and tix scanned.  both sides packed

1st and 15 on BC's 15, and no points.  no great in the red zone this year.  penalties.  key drops.  Jr QB missed a few, but he's turned out to be a good runner.  notwithstanding, Bosco played 1 of their best games. 

but still missing a short passing game.  no tries to the TE.  the slot receiver was free all game.  the OLB was 5-7 yards away, bulky, and not stopping a quick throw to the slot.  the Safety was 10-15 yds deep.  the split end should simply run straight down field not to trigger the OLB and S by running a slant (which also might cause the CB just to jump the slot), and to keep the CB on the split end; and that slot was free for an immediate throw 3-5 yds off the LOS, and he'd run for another 2-3 at least.  no way that ILB or S is stopping that.  sometimes, that slot went 15 yds downfield w/o getting picked up.  i know that Sabella saw that.  conscious decision--just don't know why.)

you do that, and the OLB can't shade run so much, and essentially cheat for the run.  that should open up the running game.  Bosco generally had pass protection, and Bisontis and Ramos were fine run blocking--when the OLB, CB, and S weren't stacking the box.

4 minutes ago, Testadura said:

1st and 15 on BC's 15, and no points.  no great in the red zone this year.  penalties.  key drops.  Jr QB missed a few, but he's turned out to be a good runner.  notwithstanding, Bosco played 1 of their best games. 

but still missing a short passing game.  no tries to the TE.  the slot receiver was free all game.  the OLB was 5-7 yards away, bulky, and not stopping a quick throw to the slot.  the Safety was 10-15 yds deep.  the split end should simply run straight down field not to trigger the OLB and S by running a slant (which also might cause the CB just to jump the slot), and to keep the CB on the split end; and that slot was free for an immediate throw 3-5 yds off the LOS, and he'd run for another 2-3 at least.  no way that ILB or S is stopping that.  sometimes, that slot went 15 yds downfield w/o getting picked up.  i know that Sabella saw that.  conscious decision--just don't know why.)

you do that, and the OLB can't shade run so much, and essentially cheat for the run.  that should open up the running game.  Bosco generally had pass protection, and Bisontis and Ramos were fine run blocking--when the OLB, CB, and S weren't stacking the box.

Seems like DBP improved as the year went on.  Usually a sign of good coaching or players getting healthy.

A strong DBP is good for HS football in general.  Would love to see the Ironmen making some noise OOS next year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DBP66 said:

the injury to 97 killed us...you guys exploited it and ran the ball successfully to his side....the kid is only a sophomore!...he's a monster...next year looks real bright...our o-line will be our strength...and a Q.B. with experience! Looking forward to next year!

oh no doubt we exploited it and having Bisontis go both ways is not viable in my opinion. He was gassed by the 4th and I think that caused the holding penalty that really was the final nail in the coffin. There also needs to be a shout out to your secondary who I think did an amazing job coverage because Angelli was given ample time to look downfield and he was taking coverage sacks and scrambles. I do think we need to discuss Sabella's decision to go for it on 4th and a 1 early in the 3rd down 7. I was shocked and against it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DBP66 said:

LB 32 is only a Soph.  he'll be a 3-4*.  WR Walker is a 3* Jr with offers.  QB and RB are Jrs.  5* OT Bisontis, 3* OG Ramos; and that Mater Dei OL who was injured all year is only a Soph or Jr.  

BC and Joes will be good too.

BC lost OL Booker to IMG, and we lost Jr. 4* DE Cam to IMG.  3* S Alvarado going back to Union City and 3* OT DeCroce going back to Demarest didn't help.  we needed all the help we can get.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Testadura said:

I said that all year that that was the way to attack Bergen. Short slants over the middle because DeBellis likes to play press coverage but when you guys finally got around to that in the 2nd 1/2 the Bergen D was adjusted and we started playing Cover 2 and you saw what happened to 2 of your receivers, they got laid out.

4 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Seems like DBP improved as the year went on.  Usually a sign of good coaching or players getting healthy.

A strong DBP is good for HS football in general.  Would love to see the Ironmen making some noise OOS next year.

Bosco was the most improved team in NJ from the 1st game to the last. Great coaching and it is obvious that the kids bought in there was just to much talent on the BC defense for them to sustain offensive drives. It was a special unit.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mickeybern said:

oh no doubt we exploited it and having Bisontis go both ways is not viable in my opinion. He was gassed by the 4th and I think that caused the holding penalty that really was the final nail in the coffin. There also needs to be a shout out to your secondary who I think did an amazing job coverage because Angelli was given ample time to look downfield and he was taking coverage sacks and scrambles. I do think we need to discuss Sabella's decision to go for it on 4th and a 1 early in the 3rd down 7. I was shocked and against it.

I saw Bisontis going both ways and he did get tired...he's a beastI and you make a good point about our D.B.'s (minus the play he caught the TD pass on the tight slant. I was 50/50 on going for it on the 4th and 1...you want to change the momentum and it was the opening drive of the second half...1 yard?..i think I would have went for it too..we were getting yards on the ground. That was a big play that failed! Our special teams played well. I would have liked to seen a reverse or something

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Testadura said:

LB 32 is only a Soph.  he'll be a 3-4*.  WR Walker is a 3* Jr with offers.  QB and RB are Jrs.  5* OT Bisontis, 3* OG Ramos; and that Mater Dei OL who was injured all year is only a Soph or Jr.  

BC and Joes will be good too.

BC lost OL Booker to IMG, and we lost Jr. 4* DE Cam to IMG.  3* S Alvarado going back to Union City and 3* OT DeCroce going back to Demarest didn't help.  we needed all the help we can get.

Yes BC & SJR will be good but they will be chasing Bosco. Bergen has to get the young Campinile up to speed and quick for I was told it is his team next year.

1 minute ago, Mickeybern said:

we were up.  we weren't the better team.  we had momentum or so it seemed.  bad call.  my wife asked me, and I said it's a big risk--not committing either way.  that was the 1st of the short fields we gave a great BC Offense.  Bosco's D was good enough to slow BC down if BC had to go 70-80 yds to score.  

in fairness, Bisontis was going both ways 1-2 quarters against St As.  He did so a bit more against BC.  but BC was stronger, although Chase was going against a Sr. 3*, P5 Edge Rusher the whole game against St As.

your observations are really good.

3 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

Bosco was the most improved team in NJ from the 1st game to the last. Great coaching and it is obvious that the kids bought in there was just to much talent on the BC defense for them to sustain offensive drives. It was a special unit.

MB:  give us POY Germano and Rutgers's Tsimis.  what happens?  just for fun.  we lose but it's a nail-biter, i think.  i watched that game 3 times, and Germano got almost every pass off in under 2 seconds.  Nunz was built for the underdog situation.

3 minutes ago, DBP66 said:

I saw Bisontis going both ways and he did get tired...he's a beastI and you make a good point about our D.B.'s (minus the play he caught the TD pass on the tight slant. I was 50/50 on going for it on the 4th and 1...you want to change the momentum and it was the opening drive of the second half...1 yard?..i think I would have went for it too..we were getting yards on the ground. That was a big play that failed! Our special teams played well. I would have liked to seen a reverse or something

Look we all pretty much accepted that DBP was the underdog and as an underdog you do need to take chances. I have no problem with that in theory and yes you have to have faith in that great O-line to get you 1 yard with 2 chances but BC's O was pedestrian and coming out of halftime down 7 and being able to make BC go the distance then I felt it should have been punted. As I said in the other thread before the game my 1st keys to the game was the DBP o line vs the BC d line (both are #1 in the state) BC won the trenches when it was needed. To top it off Sabella then kicks it away with 4th and I think 4 with 8 and change left in the game and down 14, I couldn't wrap my head around that 1.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Testadura said:

MB:  give us POY Germano and Rutgers's Tsimis.  what happens?  just for fun.  we lose but it's a nail-biter, i think.  i watched that game 3 times, and Germano got almost every pass off in under 2 seconds.  Nunz was built for the underdog situation.

yes he was, the riverboat gambler was needed when he was the underdog, the problem with Nunz was that he didn't know that you only do that when you are the underdog on paper not the favorite! He never changed. Those 2 guys you mentioned though were high IQ QB's with great athletic talent and that was needed to slow down that incredible DBP pass  rush at the time. Minicucci is a much improved QB but not in that league.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

I said that all year that that was the way to attack Bergen. Short slants over the middle because DeBellis likes to play press coverage but when you guys finally got around to that in the 2nd 1/2 the Bergen D was adjusted and we started playing Cover 2 and you saw what happened to 2 of your receivers, they got laid out.

i'm not talking about 7-10 yd slants, when the Safties are staying put, and coming in to break up the play.

our slot was not covered at all.  i'm taking about hitting him before he gets near an Safety--3-4 yds off the ball.  The CB was occupied with our SE, and the OLB was no threat.  BC Safties were 10 yds deep at least and had to come in to play the slants.  and that cover 2-ish D wouldn't have worked against quick 4-yd ins to our slot.  

watch the replay, and you'll see

i watched every play closely, and we never left any of your slots uncovered.  we either put an OLB or S directly in front of them 3 yds off the ball.  downside:  Angelli could run more, as our OLB had to drop his coverage on your slot to go after Angelli; or stay with the slot, and let Angelli run for 10-15.

you'll see.  but when the game was close, and if Bosco had been hitting that uncovered slot for 5-7 yds, then you instead run Heath off Bisontis because the OLB and rest of the D have to be a bit more honest because we're putting our slot in play.  we were never going to overpower BC.  take what BC gives--it opens things up as best as one can.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

Look we all pretty much accepted that DBP was the underdog and as an underdog you do need to take chances. I have no problem with that in theory and yes you have to have faith in that great O-line to get you 1 yard with 2 chances but BC's O was pedestrian and coming out of halftime down 7 and being able to make BC go the distance then I felt it should have been punted. As I said in the other thread before the game my 1st keys to the game was the DBP o line vs the BC d line (both are #1 in the state) BC won the trenches when it was needed. To top it off Sabella then kicks it away with 4th and I think 4 with 8 and change left in the game and down 14, I couldn't wrap my head around that 1.

we had no passing game.  we for whatever reason decided to be so predictable that BC felt fine leaving our slot uncovered.  BC's back 7 cheated run, as you said, most of the time.  when we cheated run, BC couldn't run too well..  better than us, but not great.  but with Agelli and BC's WRs, Bosco couldn't stack the box as often.  at the end of the day, BC also was better in the trenches collectively.  they are a bit more senior, and they are more talented.  Butler and LeFluer are better than Heath--1 is stronger, the other is faster.  BC is just the better team.

drops, penalties, missed throws, bad play calling at times ... throw in BC's better.  you lose

3 minutes ago, Testadura said:

we had no passing game.  we for whatever reason decided to be so predictable that BC felt fine leaving our slot uncovered.  BC's back 7 cheated run, as you said, most of the time.  when we cheated run, BC couldn't run too well..  better than us, but not great.  but with Agelli and BC's WRs, Bosco couldn't stack the box as often.  at the end of the day, BC also was better in the trenches collectively.  they are a bit more senior, and they are more talented.  Butler and LeFluer are better than Heath--1 is stronger, the other is faster.  BC is just the better team.

drops, penalties, missed throws, bad play calling at times ... throw in BC's better.  you lose

yes the weight of talented #'s becomes too much to overcome but I'm thankful we don't have another game to play because our team's communication and clock management was horrendous and there was sniping gong back and forth between some of the top players.

Here is my post from Tuesday on this thread:

I definitely think it will be a better game. Still have to make BC the favorite I guess but I think the game is a tossup. 

Keys to the game:

1)Bosco O-Line vs BC D-Line--Both are #1 in the state (my opinion) & BC won this clash the 1st go around but as with the rest of the team the Bosco unit has improved

2)the #20--that is the # that Bosco has to get to on the scoreboard to have a chance. Bergen has given up a total of 87 points all year and the only 2 teams to put a scare in them are SHP with 28 & Delbarton with 19. 14 won't do it! 

3)As much as DBP wants to run the ball with Heath it will come down to the QB. Minicucci is probably the most improved player over the course of the season and almost all the points that BC has given up have been big pass plays that went to the house. Bosco must hit the short passes (over the middle) and get yards after the catch. D-Coordinator DeBellis will play press coverage believing his 4* DBs can allow him to sell out to stop the run. Bosco must make him pay.

4)The BC O-line is much better at run blocking than pass protection, they must give Angelli time to look down field. If they can do that better than they did the 1st game then this becomes a lot more difficult climb for the Ironmen.

5)Turnovers (no surprise) both teams want to win this battle but I think Bosco needs to win it more than Bergen.

#1 I guess because of the critical plays made we'll give the BC D the edge

#2 you got 7 not 20 excluding Butler's garbage time TD and that would have put DBP in a great position to win if they got to that #

#3 As we just stated Bosco didn't pass the short route like they needed to and when they finally tried to go middle Bergen was playing zone

#4 BC's o-line did a better job in pass protection but your secondary played incredible and nullified their good work

#5 save the blocked punt for no points there weren't any turnovers

The final result then was heavily anticipated by the favorite against the underdog

• Like 1