Bosco / Bergen Week Part II

I AM IRONMAN

50 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Seems like DBP improved as the year went on.  Usually a sign of good coaching or players getting healthy.

A strong DBP is good for HS football in general.  Would love to see the Ironmen making some noise OOS next year.

we weren't beating Johns.  we can't beat BC.  we would have beaten SHP.  we beat DPC and SPP.  we avenged Joes but over multiple games, we might be closer to 50-50 with Joes.  maybe not

but teams with a bunch of 3-5* are too much talent for us, and we play prosaic.

let's say we're top 70 this year.  maybe next year we'll be top 30 or 40, being honest.  but with ranking, if you play no one, you get ranked highly.  if you play the #1 twice and a top-5 team twice, losing 3 games doesn't mean you're not top 5 or 10.

there's no doubt with flawed rankings that next year's Bosco will beat 5 top-25 teams, which is because the top-25 teams are not ranked in the top 25.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Testadura said:

we weren't beating Johns.  we can't beat BC.  we would have beaten SHP.  we beat DPC and SPP.  we avenged Joes but over multiple games, we might be closer to 50-50 with Joes.  maybe not

but teams with a bunch of 3-5* are too much talent for us, and we play prosaic.

let's say we're top 70 this year.  maybe next year we'll be top 30 or 40, being honest.  but with ranking, if you play no one, you get ranked highly.  if you play the #1 twice and a top-5 team twice, losing 3 games doesn't mean you're not top 5 or 10.

there's no doubt with flawed rankings that next year's Bosco will beat 5 top-25 teams, which is because the top-25 teams are not ranked in the top 25.

I have been making that same case for years.  IMO losing to a legit Top 20 team by less than 2 scores should count more than beating 14 nobodies 42-7.  But the lazy polls love W-L records

3 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I have been making that same case for years.  IMO losing to a legit Top 20 team by less than 2 scores should count more than beating 14 nobodies 42-7.  But the lazy polls love W-L records

it does seem to be a bias some have.

playing OOS helps

i would count STA's win over SFA more than their Jesuit loss.  STA seems now and again to blow games to lesser teams, which should count against them to a degree, but their good when they're on, which is most of the time

Dville is deep in the playoffs winning by 35?  BC beat by 35 Hoban, which lost by 14 to Eds?

too time-intensive for me

3 hours ago, Mickeybern said:

I do think we need to discuss Sabella's decision to go for it on 4th and a 1 early in the 3rd down 7. I was shocked and against it.

that was indeed a questionable gamble, but even more questionable IMO were the 2 play calls after the blocked punt early, 2nd and 5 from the BC 10, and Bosco runs Heath twice at Mitchell and the teeth of the BC line, gaining 1 yard.  Then the missed FG.  Had Bosco dialed up a couple of more imaginative play calls there and managed to get the TD, the game just might have turned out differently.  Were they actually playing for the FG attempt?  Couldn't have been, but you could tell that even Long and Lanni in the broadcast booth were shaking their heads at those calls.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, taojoe said:

that was indeed a questionable gamble, but even more questionable IMO were the 2 play calls after the blocked punt early, 2nd and 5 from the BC 10, and Bosco runs Heath twice at Mitchell and the teeth of the BC line, gaining 1 yard.  Then the missed FG.  Had Bosco dialed up a couple of more imaginative play calls there and managed to get the TD, the game just might have turned out differently.  Were they actually playing for the FG attempt?  Couldn't have been, but you could tell that even Long and Lanni in the broadcast booth were shaking their heads at those calls.

that's exactly where the focus should be.

7 minutes ago, Testadura said:

that's exactly where the focus should be.

4* DE Samuels on that right side too (our RG and RT side).  i think Heath gained 5 on 1st down running to the left behind LT Bisontis and LG Ramos.  BC stacked the box on those 2 runs to the right side.  

if (yes, if) we go up 14-0 and then don't later go for it at 4th and 2 at midfield (wtf) (and we thus punt and pin them down deep in their own territory), maybe it's 14-0 at the half.

i have to see the game again.  Sabella's too good to question.  I'm sure he had his reasons.  but  ....???

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, taojoe said:

Sabella doesn't like to bring out the kicker.  even a 27-yarder is a tuffie

3 minutes ago, Testadura said:

Sabella doesn't like to bring out the kicker.  even a 27-yarder is a tuffie

K is a frosh. Was something like 35/35 on extra points and 3/4 on FG. Shocked he missed that chip shot..he will possibly be the next boot?

2 heath rushes into the teeth of THAT D? I was hoping a jump pass to TE that used to do with Sweeney.

15 minutes ago, Testadura said:

4* DE Samuels on that right side too (our RG and RT side).  i think Heath gained 5 on 1st down running to the left behind LT Bisontis and LG Ramos.  BC stacked the box on those 2 runs to the right side.  

if (yes, if) we go up 14-0 and then don't later go for it at 4th and 2 at midfield (wtf) (and we thus punt and pin them down deep in their own territory), maybe it's 14-0 at the half.

i have to see the game again.  Sabella's too good to question.  I'm sure he had his reasons.  but  ....???

Who’s Ramos? Bosco has a Chris Moreno at LG as far i know

2 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

K is a frosh. Was something like 35/35 on extra points and 3/4 on FG. Shocked he missed that chip shot..he will possibly be the next boot?

2 heath rushes into the teeth of THAT D? I was hoping a jump pass to TE that used to do with Sweeney.

if there was one time for Bosco to be aggressive on offense in that game, that 2nd and 5 from the BC 10 was it.  Heath getting stonewalled twice, and then the missed FG "flipped the field" in terms of momentum.