Cen10 with a Defense

Tesseract

1 hour ago, Tesseract said:

Someone mentioned that a CC with a defense is a scary CC... well CC has a defense this year. I've never seen a more dominant Cen10 defense before. Even compared to the 2008 D. I can see a great game vs MD at the angels stadium.

I didn't realize they started playing D1 semifinal games at Angel Stadium. ;)

LOL, when I saw the title of your post, I thought you were referring to MD.   However, I think you have to put some things in perspective .

2 hours ago, Tesseract said:

I can see a great game vs MD at the angels stadium.

Using the last four years as reference, since that is when CIF arranged brackets so Centennial ends up in the PAC 5, I would rate how Cen10's teams as 2, 1, 3, 4 (including this year).   I rate them that way based on the total offensive weaponry at their disposal.  This year, they have a standout QB, and a decent OL, but are not scary when it comes to RB or receivers.  

Yes, their defense is a little better than it has been and may be good from a So CA perspective, but certainly not anything like you might encounter in the SE.  Reference SJB vs STA earlier this year.  

Nobody game plans to decipher the mystery of Cen10's defense, they just have to plan to stop the O as best they can and execute their own offense.  

On the MD side, over the past four years, this is without doubt, their best team.  They are on the upswing, and Cen10 peaked two years ago and is now on the downswing.  FWIW, I think MD was actually better than Bosco last year, they just seem to suffer PSS (puckering sphincter syndrome) when they meet on the field.  

If Cen10 can get past Bosco to get to MD, then they'll probably put up a better fight than what happened with BC last night, but don't be surprised if it's a rout in MD's favor.

5 hours ago, On2whls said:

FWIW, I think MD was actually better than Bosco last year, they just seem to suffer PSS (puckering sphincter syndrome) when they meet on the field.

It would be understandable to think this based on the first matchup in league, but once they moved Wyatt Davis from Tackle to Guard and switched to a run-first offense, SJB was clearly the better team. SJB literally told MD they were going to run it on every down and MD had no answer in their front 7.

1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

It would be understandable to think this based on the first matchup in league, but once they moved Wyatt Davis from Tackle to Guard and switched to a run-first offense, SJB was clearly the better team. SJB literally told MD they were going to run it on every down and MD had no answer in their front 7.

Agreed and because of this MD utilized the free agent market to bring in a top nose guard and 2 big time linebackers plus they moved one of their O-linemen from last year to the D-line. Make no mistake, MD saw how Bosco's O-line manhandled them in the finals last year and these moves are a direct result of that. 

54 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Agreed and because of this MD utilized the free agent market to bring in a top nose guard and 2 big time linebackers plus they moved one of their O-linemen from last year to the D-line. Make no mistake, MD saw how Bosco's O-line manhandled them in the finals last year and these moves are a direct result of that. 

Yep but SJB brought in a lot of transfers on both of their oline to counter MD's moves...let's what happens in 3 weeks

• Like 1

While I said I thought MD had a better team than SJB last year, I won't, based on the results of last years Southern Section championship game, argue the point.  However, having attended the last three Cen10 games vs each of those opponents, I can tell you that Cen10 plays a lot looser against SJB than MD.   They went 2-1 against each team but struggled (29ppg) more so against Mater Dei, than against SJB (52ppg).   Cen10 has had an easier time enforcing their game plan against the Braves and I think it's partially an attitude and mindset thing based on watching the game, and discussions with parents and players. 

Last years MD vs Bosco regular season matchup seemed to be more of a chess match, each team not wanting to make the big mistake.  In the playoff matchup Bosco had more swagger and attitude and I don't think was concerned with the earlier result.  With all the weapons Mater Dei has this year, and the amount of playing experience they all have, if they truly approach SJB with the mindset that it's just another game, not a game against "Bosco" and go in unencumbered with memories of recent failures, they should be able to beat them.  If they can't do it with the team they have now, then I'm afraid they'll have to wait until Bosco goes into a down cycle and the way things are going in the current environment of "transfermania" , that could be a very long time.

12 minutes ago, old_e said:

It's one thing trying to stop a traditional spread no huddle offense. It's another thing trying to stop the cc offense. Both MD and SJB have a strong defense but will they be able to stop cc enough to win the game. Oh, and that running back tandem they have at cc is real. 

That's true if you have the athletes necessary to execute the offense.  The problem is, this year's crop of receivers is not what they had in 2014 and 2015.  Against Narbonne, they had a difficult time getting much separation, and none of them are tall enough to win jump or 50-50 balls.   It will only get more difficult against MD and/or SJB depending on which team they may encounter in the playoffs.   The running backs have been improving.  If there's a hole, they are able to get into it quickly, but they lack the ability to shift direction as quickly,  and also lack the power that JJ Taylor and Miles Reed had, allowing them to create big runs when there wasn't a gaping hole to get through.  Unfortunately, I don't think there are enough games in league that will allow them to develop quickly enough to be effective against the big boys.  Also, while Tanner has shown the ability to scramble effectively, I think the problem he had with the ankle will cause him to be hesitant to take off as much.  Catalano, made some big runs in the games against MD and SJB, but I don't think Cen10 can count on that dimension as much either.