Where are the DLS guys?

Sammyswordsman

11 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Can't believe the level of Butt hurt being demonstrated this morning.   Sad

I'm here Mr. Sammy.  DLS played like a good 'average' football team.  They had no passion, fire, nothing.  They played like they didn't belong on the field.  I can deal with a loss but it's hard when the effort isn't there.  So, they got their ass kicked.  

I do know that of they don't start developing better qb play they won't be able to compete let alone win.  Don't want to get on the kid bc I couldn't do better but it's not a strength of the team.  

Btw, what the hell is up with MD throwing when up by 40?  Reminded me of how the devil operates.  Not a good look and I'd hate to see what they would have done if playing an atheist school.  Destroyed fellow Catholic brethren.

#sadandmadejesuscry

15 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

After cresting a peak, the tendency to overlook the valley, while searching for more heights to scale, is natural.Still does not mean the valley is a mirage. Unless DLS whores out the program ( STA, IMG, BG, etc) I don't see them being  as dominant in the near future.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I'm here Mr. Sammy.  DLS played like a good 'average' football team.  They had no passion, fire, nothing.  They played like they didn't belong on the field.  I can deal with a loss but it's hard when the effort isn't there.  So, they got their ass kicked.  

I do know that of they don't start developing better qb play they won't be able to compete let alone win.  Don't want to get on the kid bc I couldn't do better but it's not a strength of the team.  

Btw, what the hell is up with MD throwing when up by 40?  Reminded me of how the devil operates.  Not a good look and I'd hate to see what they would have done if playing an atheist school.  Destroyed fellow Catholic brethren.

#sadandmadejesuscry

Per MD throwing the rock, up b 40.Run your offense. Even when the clean unis are on the field. The backups practiced just as hard. Can't blame Rollinson for BC not being as competitive as hoped. And as an aside, if scoring didn't matter, why have scoreboards?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

Run your offense. Even when the clean unis are on the field. The backups practiced just as hard. Can't blame Rollinson for BC not being as competitive as hoped. And as an aside, if scoring didn't matter, why have scoreboards?

Throwing when up 40+?  Daniels was throwing and padding stats.  I didn't see much subbing going on at least from qb.  

As an aside, we both know why they have scoreboards.

6 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

#sadandmadejesuscry

Bergen was not conceding the game.  Was still running trick plays, onside kicks, going for it on 4th down.  Normally there should have been a running clock. 

It does not count as running up the score on a Calpreps Top 15 team.

It does count as running up the score against Calpreps #4522 Pine Valley

I'm right here. Had to go to my house of worship to ask God o sacrifice his son again for the sins that BG put on Sparty last night.

That was a tough one. DLS is maybe a top 35-50 team.  I'll keep it real, there's just no way that they'd hang with many of the big boys with that QB situation being the way it is. Not to mention that secondary. They honestly don't look like DLS...or at least it doens' "feel" like the teams that we've been accustomed to seeing.  They just don' have the Jimmies and Joes to keep up with elite teams. SJC has got to be kicking themselves.  SoCal whoever it is will likely dismantle this team in the SBG.  

Time to pull up the boot straps though and keep fighting.  This whole team is basically coming back again next year. Hopefully some atheletes will step up to fill the glaring holes.

• Like 1

Just now, World Citizen said:

Throwing when up 40+?  Daniels was throwing and padding stats.  I didn't see much subbing going on at least from qb.  

As an aside, we both know why they have scoreboards.

That may not be a good move against some coaches. USC-UCLA 1973. Pepper Rogers was going for some record, kept Mark Harmon in vs some team the Bruins were killing week before the USC game. Harmon's right knee was taken out on a designed "hit" . Needless to say, the Troy Boys won the following week. Agreed. Why risk injury? Unless he knows he won't be around much longer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blueliner said:

I'm right here. Had to go to my house of worship to ask God o sacrifice his son again for the sins that BG put on Sparty last night.

That was a tough one. DLS is maybe a top 35-50 team.  I'll keep it real, there's just no way that they'd hang with many of the big boys with that QB situation being the way it is. Not to mention that secondary. They honestly don't look like DLS...or at least it doens' "feel" like the teams that we've been accustomed to seeing.  They just don' have the Jimmies and Joes to keep up with elite teams. SJC has got to be kicking themselves.  SoCal whoever it is will likely dismantle this team in the SBG.  

Time to pull up the boot straps though and keep fighting.  This whole team is basically coming back again next year. Hopefully some atheletes will step up to fill the glaring holes.

Good honest take.  Thats the way I see it too.  Alumbaugh needs to start getting some of the Pittsburgh guys like Lad did.   Even though this is blasphemy, DLS needs to spend practice time developing a passing game and throw the ball effectively 10-15 times per game.  The single man routes are not gonna cut it.

I hope the answer is not going to be.  "we are satisfied with competing well in Nor Cal, and are not going to compromise our tradition for OOS games."

23 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

3 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

#sadandmadejesuscry

2 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

After cresting a peak, the tendency to overlook the valley, while searching for more heights to scale, is natural.Still does not mean the valley is a mirage. Unless DLS whores out the program ( STA, IMG, BG, etc) I don't see them being  as dominant in the near future.

@Sammyswordsman, no ducking, what is there to say?

@World Citizen, agree with everything you said including the reservation over any critique as old guys on message boards

@JCGIII, I have my doubts that DLS will ever be at the top of the mountain again -- there is a level of talent accumulation that a handful of schools are playing in an escalating arms race that DLS just won't play (IMHO).  I'm ok with that -- I'd rather they NOT play that game and fall back to being a regional power that can still usually be among the top 25-50 teams in the country.  

Congrats to BG.  I'm not suggesting DLS's play didn't contribute but BG deserves credit.  The thing that most surprised me in the game was BGs defense against the run -- they didn't shut it down, but they contained it to make DLS to have to drive the field -- I remember one run where the RB broke into the 2nd level and DLS needs more than that.  

I don't think the score completely indicative of the game, but that's somewhat irrelevant.  3 TOs for converted to 21 BG points with about the same amount of yards as one of DLS's stalled drives (haven't looked at box score but wouldn't be surprised if DLS had more first downs).  Again.... irrelevant, and not saying BG wasn't clearly the better team -- I just thing the MOV a high aberration 

DLS now has a 41-point Difference from most likely sbg opponent -- I think this team will recover, but they are highly likely to take at least one more loss (next week's game vs Central now a question. -- they're 4-0, #1 team in central section, winning by something like 44 ppg.  If DLS loses that game or any other, they're not likely to be the NorCal Open rep

should have scheduled Servite 🤔

13 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Their one dimensional offense doesn't hold up against the Top National teams.  The DLS passing game looked anemic.  It was worse than Tier 5 teams.  Bad Bad Bad

Was it just me or did DLS look a step slow the entire game.  Looked very tentative on offense.

Didn't look good

prep made a couple or three comments that I thought were dead on about the backs being slow to the holes 

1 minute ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Good honest take.  Thats the way I see it too.  Alumbaugh needs to start getting some of the Pittsburgh guys like Lad did.   Even though this is blasphemy, DLS needs to spend practice time developing a passing game and throw the ball effectively 10-15 times per game.  The single man routes are not gonna cut it.

I hope the answer is not going to be.  "we are satisfied with competing well in Nor Cal, and are not going to compromise our tradition for OOS games."

Thanks.  You are dead on as well.  The DLS athletic department is certainly at a crossroads regarding this football program.  I hope you're right that they aren't just satisfied with NorCal dominance.   But I don't want them to be a football factory either.  Gotta find that balance like Lad was able to do.  This team has a couple of studs, but overall lacks enough talent at important positions to be considered elite.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Thanks.  You are dead on as well.  The DLS athletic department is certainly at a crossroads regarding this football program.  I hope you're right that they aren't just satisfied with NorCal dominance.   But I don't want them to be a football factory either.  Gotta find that balance like Lad was able to do.  This team has a couple of studs, but overall lacks enough talent at important positions to be considered elite.

Kinda like this approach? CED. Coaching, Execution, and Discipline.

8 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Here my take on DLS's history of getting elite athletes on campus

pre '79 -- never had a winning season

'79-91 -- program became dominant programmin region and began attracting kids that specifically selected DLS for dootball

'91-'02 -- DLS didn't really recruit, but there was Anna tube alumni network (including youth coaches) that would target certain 8th graders to pitch the story and these pitches were unofficially endorsed by the school

'02'-'11 -- Br Christopher Brady's tenure.  Kids were scrutinized to ensure they were NOT coming to DLS just for football -- this was officially verboten 

'12-present -- DLS isn't unreceptive to kids that are great youth football players any longer, but it's still considered sort of a dirty activity not in line with the ideals of the school.

i can't see the DLS board agreeing that we need to keep up with the IMGs of the world and going whole hog, but I wouldn't mind if they hold a couple of extra spots in incoming 9th grade class open to at least keep the best local kids (i.e. joe Mixon and Najee Harris both live closer to DLS than my kids did)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

We'll never see DLS_Spartan again.

He thought he was such hot shit with his stupid memes and dumb as rocks posts.

Too bad.

30 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Their one dimensional offense doesn't hold up against the Top National teams.  The DLS passing game looked anemic.  It was worse than Tier 5 teams.  Bad Bad Bad

Was it just me or did DLS look a step slow the entire game.  Looked very tentative on offense.

Absolutely anemic.  Awful.  It was way different than the SJC game in the way they competed.  It will be hard to put this one game away and will be lingering for a long time. Imo.

31 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Bergen was not conceding the game.  Was still running trick plays, onside kicks, going for it on 4th down.  Normally there should have been a running clock. 

It does not count as running up the score on a Calpreps Top 15 team.

It does count as running up the score against Calpreps #4522 Pine Valley

Lol @ Calpreps too 15.

25 minutes ago, Pops said:

I have my doubts that DLS will ever be at the top of the mountain again -- there is a level of talent accumulation that a handful of schools are playing in an escalating arms race that DLS just won't play (IMHO).

You can always count on Pop to throw in a backhanded excuse for the Spartans' failures.

Class and tact have never been his strong suits.

He's basically an excuse-making machine.

That is if he's not lying and/or manipulating the hell out of facts and figures.

Going into game, in reality, hardly any sober DLS fan thought they would win this game. Let's remember, this is a team trying to rise from the ashes of last year,  being their worst team in the last 25 yrs. ( yes, worse than 2004 ).  They have no qb, having to play musical chairs in order to try and find what works. Lb's are slow except for one, and Db's are completely confused as to how to play the position. The team as a whole, looks like they are young and inexperienced, and played like that with little confidence, especially when adversity showed up with the turnovers. They did look tired, especially the lines, after the first few series .

40 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

That is probably correct but I pray it never happens.  The way they do things is the best part of the program imo.  Idc if they ever win a top oos as long as they stay true to who they are.  And that means no recruiting and stacking of rosters.  

Imho.

25 minutes ago, Pops said:

I have my doubts that DLS will ever be at the top of the mountain again -- there is a level of talent accumulation that a handful of schools are playing in an escalating arms race that DLS just won't play (IMHO).  I'm ok with that -- I'd rather they NOT play that game and fall back to being a regional power that can still usually be among the top 25-50 teams in the country.  

The truth is of course a totally different story, Pop.

After having pushed this claim about certain schools accumulating talent since at least 2010, Pop has then claimed that DLS was at various points the national champion in 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015.

So in December of any given year, Pop is perfectly fine claiming that DLS is indeed at the top of the mountain only to moralize and make excuses when they lose (like last night).

This kind of stuff even makes someone like GloryDays roll his eyes at this clown.