HawgGoneIt

Colquitt Co. receiving corps gets boost from Shealey’s career game

• By Matthew Brown
  •  
    • 31 min ago
    •  
      •  

Shealey touchdown

Ty Shealey scores touchdown for Colquitt County High Sept. 30 vs. Bishop Sullivan.

CWS

MOULTRIE – Where are they? Looking for a 6-3, 220-pound Julio Jones, a 6-4, 210-pound A.J. Green or a 6-3, 218-pound Larry Fitzgerald type of wide receiver at the Colquitt County High football game?

Sorry, not going to find one.

What you are going to find – and it’s using another old adage – is that big things come in smaller packages … 5-6 and 5-8 boxes to be exact.

No. 1 on the Packer receiving list is the 5-6 senior Cam Singletary, who is also No. 2 in Region 1-7A with 32 catches for 425 yards and four touchdowns in seven games.

The spot as the second-best target for senior quarterback Steven Krajewski has gone from one to another during the course of Colquitt County’s 6-1 start leading into the first Region 1-7A game Friday at Camden County High’s Gilman Stadium. When the Packers dominated Bishop Sullivan Catholic on Homecoming Sept. 30 38-7, a 5-8 senior seized No. 2 behind Singletary with a career performance.

Ty Shealey’s only been a factor in the Packer passing game two times in 2017. First, when Krajewski was on that unstoppable run of 14 straight second-half completions vs. Tucker, Shealey caught three of those throws for 26 yards and his first varsity touchdown. It was a 21-yard strike in the last two-minutes of the third quarter helping punctuate a 35-21 comeback win on Tom White Field at Mack Tharpe Stadium.

In all, Shealey caught five passes in that game for 33 yards.

Otherwise, Shealey’s production came on the kickoff return unit. That is, until game No. 7 when the Virginia squad paid a visit. Shealey was Krajewski’s target from the beginning with the game’s first three completions. Already, it was an unprecedented night for the senior as his third catch, which was over the middle and snagged on the 30-yard-line, turned into a 40-yard touchdown.

With five minutes to go until halftime, Shealey’s next reception – again over the middle around the 30 – turned into his second touchdown of 45 yards.

When it was all done, Shealey had 107 yards on five catches. It made him only the second receiver on the team with double figure catches and the third to surpass 100 yards.

So size doesn’t matter when playing receiver?

“Yes and no,” said Packer inside receiver coach Troy Hobbs. “Those four or five little guys we have, we’ll take them. Ty had a great week against Bishop Sullivan. Everybody knows what Singletary did earlier in the season and is still doing.

“But you don’t have to be 6-3, 6-4. You just have to be able to run good routes and understand what the defense is giving us. When you get a chance to make a play, make an explosive play.”

Shealey said the touchdown plays were slants where he got behind the linebacker. He said he’s the type to run slant and screen routes where he can get the football and go quick.

“I just happened to beat the guy wide open,” said Shealey, knowing it is courageous to go over the middle where big linebackers and safeties await to lay a large hit. “Every time I get the ball … score. I have to.”

Shealey was a part of the Packer program that won state undefeated in 2015, but he saw no time or any stats at the varsity level. As a junior in 2016 he got into three varsity games and made two catches. All that while he’s watching and practicing with college-bound players from Ty Lee to Keil Pollard to Tory Ponder to Ty Powell.

“I learned to be explosive being behind those guys,” said Shealey. “They were some big-time explosive guys. I try to do what they did.”

So with Singletary having all the real experience coming back at receiver, what kind of expectations did Shealey have for himself as a senior in 2017?

“I really expected to play a lot, but you have to wait for your time,” he said. “When they call your number, you got to go.”

And call it a lot they did vs. Bishop Sullivan. He said he didn’t know going into the game two weeks ago that would happen; it just so happened the coaches did call No. 11.

“You have to turn into a running back once you catch it,” said Shealey about turning those short catches into long TDs.

“Going into that game, they had four or five Division I athletes,” said Hobbs. “We talked about being physical when you had a chance to catch the ball, not just getting pushed down on the first tackle. He made some great plays after the catch. That sparked us.”

Singletary would not be outdone.

Looking at the numbers, there were three catches he made for 70 yards, but there was a touchdown play – catching Krajewski’s throw in the flat – that was “Man amongst Boys.” Only, the 5-6 kid was the Man and the D-I prospects were the “Boys.”

“He was determined to score a touchdown,” said Hobbs. “He made it happen. That was all on him. Steven gave him a good ball; 48 yards after that was all Cam Singletary. He’s that spark plug whenever we need a big play.”

After the trip to Kingsland Friday, the story may be about somebody completely different.

“KT Wilson, Tyrique Williams, Marvion McDonald, all are starting to come on and make plays,” said Hobbs about the Packer receiving group as a whole. “Everybody’s finding their niche in the offense.

“The way this offense has been going, every week it’s been somebody different. We’re just waiting to put that game together where it’s everybody.”

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/sports/local_sports/colquitt-co-receiving-corps-gets-boost-from-shealey-s-career/article_2e8e4bc4-aedc-11e7-b819-2b2251635c27.html

1 minute ago, Rufus69 said:

I'm hoping and waiting for Tanner to get well enough to play.  We're at the point where we need ALL our bullets.

Rufus>>

I think he's been playing some on special teams if I'm not mistaken. 

Missing the years of football in between has probably made it more difficult for him to be in shape for it, which could explain his injuries up til now. That or just bad luck.

I have a feeling that he will step up and do it at the perfect time. Right when we need him the most. 

The one wee little guy is number two in region 1-7A though, and that's behind some receiver with teams that have been lighting up the score board playing nobodies. 

No. 1 on the Packer receiving list is the 5-6 senior Cam Singletary, who is also No. 2 in Region 1-7A with 32 catches for 425 yards and four touchdowns in seven games.

15 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The one wee little guy is number two in region 1-7A though, and that's behind some receiver with teams that have been lighting up the score board playing nobodies. 

Yep was laughing hard on this....why even post this.

19 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

5'6 and 5'8?  Lol.  Rufus wasn't kidding when kept saying tiny little undersized hawgs. LOL.  Weeee little fellas. 

WELL Padre, a wise ole profit once said! It AIN'T how big you ARE, it's how big you PLAY!:) Cam Singletary ran OVER a FIVE STAR DB, on his fifty yard run into Packer lore against Bishop Sullivan!