Since Valdosta has become a bit of a whipping boy on here...

HawgGoneIt

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/ga_fl_news/competition-heats-up-during-valdosta-s-acclimation-period/article_23508fa0-4a21-5739-ad47-6edfeda33e6c.html

Competition heats up during Valdosta's acclimation period

• By Derrick Davis derrick.davis@gaflnews.com
  •  
  • 21 hrs ago
  •  
  •  

Competition heats up during Valdosta's acclimation period

VALDOSTA — Since Alan Rodemaker was hired as Valdosta High's head coach last February, the mandate has been simple: compete.

Wednesday, on the second day of acclimation, the Wildcats carried out the directive during a team drill that got so voracious Rodemaker had to stop practice for a moment to tell his players to bring it down a notch as to prevent any injuries when touch football turned a little too aggressive.

But to getting the team to consistently show its competitive fire has been a work in progress this summer, so Rodemaker has reached back into the annals of Valdosta High football for a way to spark the Wildcats' workouts.

“Back in the day, Valdosta, for probably 100 years, has played ‘make five; take five,’ and that’s what we’re trying to do in the summer,” Rodemaker said. “Years ago, they’d start on the goal line and if the offense gained five yards, they’d move the ball to the 5-yard line. If they gained more than five, then they can move it to the 10.

“Every time they didn’t gain five, they’d move it backwards, and a lot of the times they’d sit on the goal line for long time because five yards is tough to get with all the great Valdosta defenses they had here. We’re trying to play that as much as we can in the summer, and it puts a little stress on the offense because five yards is tough to get…”

In Tuesday's competition, the offense won going away. Wednesday, Valdosta's defense stiffened up and made a fight out of it.

Senior quarterback Hunter Holt hit a receiver in stride on a go route down the right sideline for a touchdown, and senior running back Kevin Farr Jr. found a seam on a carry and outraced the defense to the house for another score, but aside from those two plays, the Wildcats' offense struggled to move the ball against a swarming defense in the first session.

Ultimately, the defensive players took a quick breather on the sideline as a reward for winning the first battle while the offensive players ran sprints.

When the competition reconvened for the second session, Valdosta's defense kept its foot on the gas as sophomore linebacker Jaheim Bell read a screen and dashed into the backfield to break up the pass, just as it reached its intended target — a play that elicited loud cheers and congratulatory celebrations from defensive players and coaches alike.

And while the Wildcats' offense did produce a few highlight plays, a long catch-and-run touchdown by junior running back Rajae’z Mosley for one, the defense came out on top again, forcing their offensive counterparts to run one last set of sprints to wrap up the workout period.

Through the first two days of acclimation, Rodemaker views the back-and-forth between both sides of the ball as a positive step.

“We’re not always the biggest, strongest fastest, but we’ll compete,” Rodemaker said. “I wasn’t sure this team was to the level, as a matter of fact, I didn’t think all summer they were to the level of past teams in their competition, but we’re learning.

“Hopefully that’s a good sign for things to come.”

The Wildcats continue it's five-day acclimation period with another workout today, after which the team will be treated to a lunch at Mama June's courtesy the joint efforts of restaurant owner Pat O'Neal and the Valdosta Touchdown Club.

After a pair of days off Friday and Saturday, the Wildcats will take the field against Sunday evening, once Valdosta is finished moving its players into the high school's gymnasium for the start of the team's training camp.

Following the Sunday workout, the Wildcats will engage in character talk before lights out and returning to the practice field at 6 a.m. Monday for its final acclimation workout.

Monday afternoon will consist of meetings leading up to Valdosta’s “Meet the ‘Cats” event at 8 p.m. and padded “Midnight Madness” practice at Bazemore-Hyder Stadium.

“To me, I think you make your football team at camp,” Rodemaker said. “So next week will be a great week for us to grow.”

Derrick Davis is the sports editor at the Valdosta Daily Times.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The Valdosta AD and I are getting closer by the day. I've promised to put his beloved  'Cats in a position to makes major OOS waves in 2018. To be continued...

A relevant team would be nice.  

Calquitt gets a green light and carefully chooses VM 😂

1 minute ago, old_e said:

A relevant team would be nice.  

Calquitt gets a green light and carefully chooses VM 😂

I don't guess it matters that they called us.  We simply said YES...at our place?

And they said YES.

But...what would I know about it?

Rufus>>

It's unfortunate that Valdosta has become the stick that many of us use to beat back the ECHS's the board when they get a little carried away.

Every program has a bad game or a disappointing loss on its resume. Most have a few of both.

I hope it goes well for the Cats in 2017. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

STA, DBP, PC, BG and IMG have all done the same. But Rush failed to respond, which means NO. #CaliforniaDreaming

Meester Rush...heee berry peeeky.  Heee teel mee, Consuela deeee boosters dona wanna looser.  Heeee alwae sae NO to Meester private skool. 

Meester Boosters teeel Meester Rush, yu better not looser to Meester Veesta Murieta.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Is valdusted the top team this year in all of ga or #2 again like last year?

September 2016

Colquitt 45

Valdosta 24 

November 2016

Grayson 49 

Colquitt 21  (it was 49-7 Grayson in the 3rd quarter) 

and i know you know this :) it's for the others that don't 

• Thanks 1