Colquitt's Intrasquad Scrimmage

Rufus69

I attended the Hawg scrimmage in Mack Tharpe yesterday afternoon.  The following is my honest anbiased opine.....

Oh Woe Is Us !!!!!!

Issues with the O-Line and WR positions still remain unsolved.  We only have two weeks to come up with a solid plan.  On the other side of the coin...the Blackhats look a lot farther along than previously expected.  The Mo Dixon influence can be seen a mile away.  Them fellers are ready to rumble.  Bottom line....we ain't there yet....but I'm fairly confident we'll get there.

Next test is this coming Thursday night with do or die scrimmage against the Coffee Trojans. We need to play well...but most of all.....KEEP EVERYBODY HEALTHY.

Then it's Norcross on the 19th in HOTlanta.

Like "Doc" said this morning whilst we were sipping on our Black Silk......

"Ready or not....here we come"

Rufus>>

• Like 1

Speaking about VERY OFFENSIVE offensive line problems...

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/ga_fl_news/summer-brought-its-issues-for-colquitt-county-offensive-line/article_9ba9bb8c-7a37-11e7-baad-8f923caa89bd.html

Summer brought its issues for Colquitt County offensive line

• By Matthew Brown
  •  
  • 13 hrs ago
  •  
  •  

MOULTRIE – Who is going to start along the offensive line when the Packer season kicks off for 2017? That was an interesting question going back to when 2016 ended, and Colquitt County High faithful felt for certain they had a lock on at least half of the answer.

Then came the real offseason, and the question didn’t get any easier. Offensive line coach Joey Bennett knew he was losing three senior starters, but had to feel that the anchor of it all was set and secure. That, however, presented some unexpected problems, but with every setback comes opportunity for another player to make a mark.

Opportunity – in unfortunate circumstances on the Packer front – didn’t just open up once, but twice.

Head coach Rush Propst often talks about the low numbers in the 2017 football senior class. Want some proof of that? There’s only one 12th grade offensive lineman, quick side tackle Tyler Howard (6-1, 209 pounds). Colquitt County hosts a live scrimmage on Tom White Field and Mack Tharpe Stadium Thursday (8 p.m. kickoff) vs. Coffee, but if that game had taken place Friday or Saturday, Howard would be the only returning starter from Day 1 up front.

“Out of 20 guys, I only have one senior,” said Bennett Saturday. “I probably have the best second group of guys I’ve ever had. My second group is outstanding, four sophomores and one freshman.

“My starting group, I have three guys back from last year. Kaleb Spradley (6-0, 256) was set to start for us, and he tore his ACL at OTA. So he’s out for the year. We have another 10th grader I’m really excited about, Conner Gay (5-8, 236), playing guard. He’s physical, a tough kid. Just needs to learn the ins and outs of the offense, but he’s going to be a good one by the time it’s all done.”

Attend a Packer practice and one of the first sights that might capture somebody’s attention is No. 72 giving the snaps to quarterback Steven Krajewski. Jay Saunders, last year, took all the snaps from a sophomore, Will Rykard (5-11, 260), wearing No. 75. Many Packers changed jersey numbers from last year, but No. 72 is Jerick Davis (5-8, 251), a junior.

“He’s going to be able to play some guard too when Will gets back healthy in a week or so,” said Bennett. “We have some depth up front for the next couple of years. I have everybody back next year except for one. You’re not in that position very often (in the offensive line), so you definitely have to take advantage of it.”

Rykard’s injury issues go back to the spring, and Bennett said it was a tough loss because Rykard learned how to run the show, make the calls and identify the defensive looks.

“It stresses everybody else to step up,” the coach said. “In the long run, it will make us better. Davis has had to step in and be that guy. He’s done a great job … when he didn’t expect to. I’m glad we have two guys who can step in that role.

“(Rykard’s) been working with (the trainers) every day, conditioning. That’s definitely your worry. He has enough playing experience for the football part of it. Just getting back in shape will be key for him.”

Spradley is only a junior, so his career still has a chance to grow with successful rehabilitation from his injury. Bennett said this is a strong player – great in the weight room – with a high football IQ.

“You don’t want to lose anybody,” said Bennett. “You never want to lose a soldier. It hurts. He’s somebody we expected to start. I’m glad we’ll have him back next year.”

And as far as attention goes, yes, size will bring that in your direction. That brings the discussion to Kam Bell, only a junior who rotated in at guard several times as a sophomore. He checks in at 6-2 and 321 pounds, but what about his skills?

“The sky’s the limit for him,” said Bennett. “He’s got all the tools, athletic. He can really go dominate people. It’s up to him how good he can be.”

Bennett added that the whole unit is developing consistency, working together, understanding roles.

“We play shoulder to shoulder every snap,” he said. “Receivers are 10, 15 yards apart. They don’t work in tandem like the OL does.”

But they love their receivers – including the tight ends – young running backs and Krajewski.

“Steven obviously is a special player,” said Bennett. “We have two running backs who will make us look better than we are. We have a couple of good (underclassmen) tight ends and a full receiving corps of great players. The biggest thing is going to be maturity, handling negative situations the right way and pulling together.”

I mean...who you gonna believe....All World Packer O-Line Coach...Joey Bennett...or me ?

(Big Smile)

With Spradley going down in the last OTA...and Rykard at around 90 percent....things could be better.  Hopefully, we'll be OK by the time Region rolls around...but Hoss....we're awfully young and tiny.  I stand by my...

Oh Woe Is Us !!!!!!

Rufus>>

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

I mean...who you gonna believe....All World Packer O-Line Coach...Joey Bennett...or me ?

(Big Smile)

With Spradley going down in the last OTA...and Rykard at around 90 percent....things could be better.  Hopefully, we'll be OK by the time Region rolls around...but Hoss....we're awfully young and tiny.  I stand by my...

Oh Woe Is Us !!!!!!

Rufus>>

Oh... I believe you. I know there's plenty of work to do. Rykard being not 100, and Kaleb gone... not easy stuff to get around. Both first rotation guys. Then we had a couple of spots that were questionable as it was. 

Hopefully those younger guys can get at them honeybun sammiches sooner than later. 

1 minute ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

I know size matters up front, but I'd rather have a guy undersized who is strong and athletic than a big dude who is out of shape and slow. But of course there's the happy medium.

I think Colquitt, thanks to Joey Bennett,  has been pretty adept at striking a good balance up front. There's enough big guys to utilize in the proper spots and the schemes are designed to fit the base unit we have. It's brilliance at work. 

• Like 2

Joey Bennett (Colquitt's O-Line coach) is the best I've ever seen at getting the most from a group of high schoolers.  He seems to be able to adjust his mixture of size, strength and agility each season to achieve the best results.  The kids believe in him and they work their derrieres off (that's French ya know) for him.  Colquitt has had its share of setbacks along the O-Line so far this year...but I have no doubt that Coach Bennett and his Big/Medium/Tiny Uglies will overcome and perform admirably.  The only question will be....

How long will it take to get there?

Rufus>>

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Joey Bennett (Colquitt's O-Line coach) is the best I've ever seen at getting the most from a group of high schoolers.  He seems to be able to adjust his mixture of size, strength and agility each season to achieve the best results.  The kids believe in him and they work their derrieres off (that's French ya know) for him.  Colquitt has had its share of setbacks along the O-Line so far this year...but I have no doubt that Coach Bennett and his Big/Medium/Tiny Uglies will overcome and perform admirably.  The only question will be....

How long will it take to get there?

Rufus>>

Hopefully not as long as last year.

16 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

Points are made here and no one knows. 

Those sizes could not stand up to 6'1, 290, not for long.

Maybe you missed the part where the linemen corps. goes 20 deep?

6'1" 290 can't stand up to that deep of a rotation very long either.

This is where the smaller school fans get schooled. The depth is important. Maybe more important than overall size. ;)

3 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

These kids still have a little growing to do. They will have a couple more seasons in the best strength and conditioning/nutritional program in the country.

DLS should know a thing or two about small Olinemen.

I hear ya but kids at that height and weight are headed for a heart attack!!!