High Priced Texas High School Football Stadiums...

RedZone

I don't really get it.

$35 million to $60 million a pop. And all the stadiums hold between 8,000 and 10,000 people.

5A Sulphur, La built a brand new stadium a few years back for $8 million and it's one of the nicest stadiums you could ever hope to play in. It holds right at 9,000 people and has all the bells and whistles, and whatever.

Maybe Cajuns are just smarter at building stadiums. What are you really getting for $60 million dollars? 😆

Sulphur's stadium clearly would be a dump in Texas. 👇

Screenshot_20240215-054123-952.png

Screenshot_20240215-054005-782.png

There’s a huge difference. In Texas, the fertile land is cities which are growing, thriving and bustling destinations for people all over trying to move into the prime real estate and beneficial place to live to raise a family. So things are gonna cost more. 

on the flip side, Louisiana is a dump building stadiums for their mediocre teams on dry swamp land in Hicksville that no one wants to move to or even live there now. They are trapped. Uneducated people who share DNA with their spouses, who have no basic skills to move away so they are stuck with Uncle Dad watching sub par football every Friday night 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

I don't really get it.

$35 million to $60 million a pop. And all the stadiums hold between 8,000 and 10,000 people.

5A Sulphur, La built a brand new stadium a few years back for $8 million and it's one of the nicest stadiums you could ever hope to play in. It holds right at 9,000 people and has all the bells and whistles, and whatever.

Maybe Cajuns are just smarter at building stadiums. What are you really getting for $60 million dollars? 😆

Ok, when you build a new High School football stadium the national average cost is about $1,000 per seat plus this and that amenities (bells and whistles)

That seems to hold pretty true looking at the average cost of new stadiums around the nation.. 

Basically if you want a new 10,000 seat football stadium you can expect to pay at least $10 million plus whatever else you want to throw in there. 

The Cy-Fair FCU stadium in Texas cost $80 million and seats 9,500 people. That math just does not add up.

Of course, it has a 456-seat theater too. Even so, that's terrible math.

I mean don't get me wrong the stadium looks ok, but it's definitely not a $80 million dollar stadium, believe that! That is just absurd.

1. Cy-Fair FCU Stadium at Berry Center (Cy-Fair ISD)

Cost: $80 million (includes construction of 9,500-seat arena and 456-seat theater)

Opened: 2006

25 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Ok, when you build a new High School football stadium the national average cost is about $1,000 per seat plus this and that amenities (bells and whistles)

That seems to hold pretty true looking at the average cost of new stadiums around the nation.. 

Basically if you want a new 10,000 seat football stadium you can expect to pay at least $10 million plus whatever else you want to throw in there. 

The Cy-Fair FCU stadium in Texas cost $80 million and seats 9,500 people. That math just does not add up.

Of course, it has a 456-seat theater too. Even so, that's terrible math.

I mean don't get me wrong the stadium looks ok, but it's definitely not a $80 million dollar stadium, believe that! That is just absurd.

1. Cy-Fair FCU Stadium at Berry Center (Cy-Fair ISD)

Cost: $80 million (includes construction of 9,500-seat arena and 456-seat theater)

Opened: 2006

7A Petal, MS built a new football stadium right  about the time Sulphur did.....right at $11 million, if I remember correctly.

Holds 9,000 give or take.

7000 home side, 2000 visitor size.

I don't see anything wrong with it and that's about the national average.

Nice!

Screenshot_20240215-075509-778.png

The Prosper ISD tried to pass a new $100 million dollar football stadium that seated only 9,500 last year...... It was rejected. Not sure if anything else is going on with that.

It won't be long before somebody breaks $100 million in Texas on a high school football stadium.

It just really blows your mind.

8 minutes ago, RedZone said:

7A Brandon, MS built a new 8100 capacity football stadium 5 years ago for $11 million.

Would be laughed at in Texas. 😆

Screenshot_20240215-085633-091.png

Clown you are not factoring in the value of the land. People in Texas are fighting over who can get their fast enough from all over the country. 

Land in Lousiana and Mississippi is in the clearance bin with 4 stickers on it with constant markdowns. They can’t give that crap away 

• Haha 1

When West Monroe added the new "Home" side of the stadium it cost $7 million, added 6,000 seats and raised the total capacity to 12,000.  There was no land purchase and the Jumbotron, turf and dressing rooms were already in place

newturf9.jpg

newturf10.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Reb72 said:

When West Monroe added the new "Home" side of the stadium it cost $7 million, added 6,000 seats and raised the total capacity to 12,000.  There was no land purchase and the Jumbotron, turf and dressing rooms were already in place

newturf9.jpg

newturf10.jpg

Smart. Looks nice. West Monroe doing things the right way 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Reb72 said:

When West Monroe added the new "Home" side of the stadium it cost $7 million, added 6,000 seats and raised the total capacity to 12,000.  

newturf9.jpg

newturf10.jpg

That's about the average.

The thing I've noticed about these $50 million, $60 million and $70 million dollar high school stadiums in Texas is the amount excess bullshit they have attached to these little stadiums that barely hold 10,000 people.

Millions of dollars worth of "look at me stuff'. Those materials and labor aren't cheap. All that bullshit around those High School stadiums is just eye candy..... one trying to outdo the other one.

You don't need all this bullshit. 😧🙂

Screenshot_20240215-100626-326.png

@RedZone I don't pay that close of attention to Texas but the stadiums I've seen there also included weight rooms and other training facilities, locker room that could rival a college, and sometimes classrooms and other academic facilities.  They also tend to go with pretty good size video scoreboards that get expensive.  Then too, you have to take into consideration construction costs.  I'm guessing that costs are higher in the major Texas metro areas.  You can also get into the quality of the materials.  Are they building a 20 year building vs a 60 year building?  Lots of factors go into the costs.

7 minutes ago, RedZone said:

That's about the average.

The thing I've noticed about these $50 million, $60 million and $70 million dollar high school stadiums in Texas is the amount excess bullshit they have attached to these little stadiums that barely hold 10,000 people.

Millions of dollars worth of "look at me stuff'. Those materials and labor aren't cheap. All that bullshit around those High School stadiums is just eye candy..... one trying to outdo the other one.

You don't need all this bullshit. 😧🙂

Screenshot_20240215-100626-326.png

Then you have to pay the architectures $5 million to draw all that shit up three or four times. 😆

54 minutes ago, Reb72 said:

Yet there's something to be said for the history and intimacy of some smaller stadiums...  there is hardly a more storied stadium in Louisiana than Neville's Bill Ruple

nevillestad1.jpg

nevillestad2.jpg

Some of those teams with those high dollar stadiums will never be ranked in their history or win a state championship. 

Monroe Neville has been ranked at least 20 times with 12 State Championships..

High as #4 nationally.

I'm all for nice stuff, but there has to be a reasonable limit. 

Freaking $100 million dollar High School football stadium. It's a great thing that was rejected. I can only imagine the hoopla involved with that if it passed on this forum.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RedZone said:

I don't really get it.

You’re getting a facility that’s not used just for football. They are multi-functional complexes that have to accommodate for up to 7-12 high schools.

How many teams use 5A Sulphur’s stadium?

https://www.ccisd.net/athletics/challenger-columbia-stadium

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/aug/18/legacy-stadium-texas-high-school-football-katy

https://fanbuzz.com/high-school/berry-center-cy-fair-fcu-stadium/

12 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

There’s a huge difference. In Texas, the fertile land is cities which are growing, thriving and bustling destinations for people all over trying to move into the prime real estate and beneficial place to live to raise a family. So things are gonna cost more. 

on the flip side, Louisiana is a dump building stadiums for their mediocre teams on dry swamp land in Hicksville that no one wants to move to or even live there now. They are trapped. Uneducated people who share DNA with their spouses, who have no basic skills to move away so they are stuck with Uncle Dad watching sub par football every Friday night 

Sounds about right. I see the swamp turd started another thread where he continues to talk to himself. 

• Haha 2

I am a lover of stadiums but agree there's a point that doesn't make much sense.

There are a TON of empty seats in stadiums all across DFW each Friday.  Some districts (Lewisville for instance) have ~8,50 seat stadiums at each school. Look at a map and see where Lewisville, Marcus HS and Flower Mound HS are.  All about 4 miles apart.  Marcus shared Lewisville's stadium for the first ~20 years it existed about 4 miles away.  Each team used it five times a year and they played each other there once/year.  They opened up another HS (all are ~4 miles apart), Flower Mound HS.  They built a new stadium at the new school so built one at Marcus as well.  There are Friday nights during football season were all three are empty.  

I will say none of them approach the extravagance of Allen or McKinney or Prosper, but there is certainly some small $%^* syndrome at some of these schools.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

You’re getting a facility that’s not used just for football. They are multi-functional complexes that have to accommodate for up to 7-12 high schools.

How many teams use 5A Sulphur’s stadium?

https://www.ccisd.net/athletics/challenger-columbia-stadium

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/aug/18/legacy-stadium-texas-high-school-football-katy

https://fanbuzz.com/high-school/berry-center-cy-fair-fcu-stadium/

you are correct, only the 3 largest cities in Louisiana New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Shreveport have schools that share stadiums.  Ouachita Parish (where West Monroe is located) has a population of 160,000 and contains 10 high schools.  While not elaborate, all 10 have on campus stadiums they do not share. West Monroe, Ouachita, Neville, West Ouachita, Carroll, Wossman, Richwood, Sterlington, Ouachita Christian, St Frederick

fbf2.jpg

fbf5.jpg

fbf3.jpg

fbf8.jpg

fbf7.jpg

fbf6.jpg

fbf4.jpg

fbf1.jpg

fbf9.jpg

fbf10.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, pied said:

There are a TON of empty seats

That's another thing.

Anyways, I would be happy if Rummel could build a $3 million dollar football stadium that seats 3000. Back when I played we played all over City much like today. I mean we have a home base stadium that we call home and can get 9,000 people in on money games. 

I don't even know how I would have felt playing in a $70 million dollar football stadium. I might think I was good or something. 🙂

At the end of the day I just don't think anything is ever going to be NICE enough in Texas. They will be tearing down all these shiny stadiums in 5 to 10 years when they become outdated and build even shinier ones. 

• Like 1