Official Louisiana and National 2024 High School Baseball Thread

RedZone

West Monroe is going after a 5A state championship as well as a myth national championship in 2024. West Monroe currently has  8 signed to play college baseball already including  2 to LSU.

West Monroe is #2 Preseason at MaxPreps and has the hype. The Rebels have a big 3 game series with Baton Rouge Catholic next week. Catholic checks in at #19 preseason MaxPreps. Catholic is absolutely stacked though. More on them later.

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/news/uxDywiKXM0i7B1nF_KvJcg/high-school-baseball-rankings-florida-power-stoneman-douglas-headlines-preseason-maxpreps-top-25.htm

2. West Monroe (La.)
Coach:
 Wade Simoneaux
2023: 34-5, Class 5A state runner-up
Top returning players: John Pearson, 3B/CF, .432, 7 HR, 35 RBI; Hayden Federico, 3B/SS, .420, 3 HR, 40 RBI; Trey Hawsey, RF/1B, .397, 11 HR, 43 RBI; Drew Ferguson, P, 5-0, 1.22 ERA, 63 K; Bradyn Garner, P, 2-1, 61 K; Tyler Roark, C, .365, 32 RBI.   
Outlook: Top-to-bottom, West Monroe might have the most solid lineup in the nation with five players who earned all-state recognition last year. Topping the list is Pearson, who earned MaxPreps Junior All-American honors last year. West Monroe nearly won back-to-back state titles but finished second to Barbe after winning it all in 2022. Class 5A is a tough state playoff bracket with the likes of Barbe (Lake Charles), Sam Houston (Lake Charles) and Live Oak (Watson) all in the mix along with the Rebels. "This is an experienced team," Simoneaux said. "The senior class has played in the last three state championship games." The season gets off to a tough start with a three-game series against Catholic (Baton Rouge).

• Like 1

My Rummel Raiders check in at #5 Preseason Louisiana.

Rummel upset Catholic Baton Rouge last year in the semi-finals and lost in the D1 State Championship to Jesuit 1-0.

Make no mistake the Rummel Raider is loaded too this year and experienced.

Louisiana's Top 10 can play with anyone in the nation. Louisiana is a baseball crazed state. A lot of that has to do with LSU baseball program.

Louisiana Preseason Top 25.

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/2024-LA-Power25

38 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Catholic checks in at #19 preseason MaxPreps. Catholic is absolutely stacked though. More on them later.

Former Catholic (Baton Rouge) Ace Aaron Nola just signed a $172 million 7 year deal with the Philadelphia Phillies. 

Catholic-BR has an Ace this year that may be better than Aaron Nola. Kid tops out at 96 MPH with one of the nastiest curveballs you'll see on the high school level. Catholic has two pitchers committed to LSU. Neither may make it to campus..

Anyways, good for Aaron Nola. 👇 

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Aaron Nola never felt pressure to sign a long-term contract during spring training last year, instead becoming a free agent after the season and quickly agreeing to a $172 million, seven-year deal to remain with the Philadelphia Phillies. "It's definitely off my shoulders," Nola said Friday.2 days ago

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Catholic-BR has an Ace this year that may be better than Aaron Nola. Kid tops out at 96 MPH with one of the nastiest curveballs you'll see on the high school level. Catholic has two pitchers committed to LSU. Neither may make it to campus..

Catholic 2024 Ace William Schmidt>6-5 190 lbs

Screenshot_20240218-143551-005.png

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

My Rummel Raiders check in at #5 Preseason Louisiana.

Rummel upset Catholic Baton Rouge last year in the semi-finals and lost in the D1 State Championship to Jesuit 1-0.

Make no mistake the Rummel Raider is loaded too this year and experienced.

Louisiana's Top 10 can play with anyone in the nation. Louisiana is a baseball crazed state. A lot of that has to do with LSU baseball program.

Louisiana Preseason Top 25.

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/2024-LA-Power25

MaxPreps has the Rummel Raider #70 in their Preseason Top 100 Preseason Poll. More than respectable.

Got to get it done this year though!

70. Archbishop Rummel (Metairie, La.),

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

West Monroe is going after a 5A state championship as well as a myth national championship in 2024. West Monroe currently has  8 signed to play college baseball already including  2 to LSU.

West Monroe is #2 Preseason at MaxPreps and has the hype. The Rebels have a big 3 game series with Baton Rouge Catholic next week. Catholic checks in at #19 preseason MaxPreps. Catholic is absolutely stacked though. More on them later.

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/news/uxDywiKXM0i7B1nF_KvJcg/high-school-baseball-rankings-florida-power-stoneman-douglas-headlines-preseason-maxpreps-top-25.htm

2. West Monroe (La.)
Coach:
 Wade Simoneaux
Top returning players: John Pearson, 3B/CF, .432, 7 HR, 35 RBI; Hayden Federico, 3B/SS, .420, 3 HR, 40 RBI; Trey Hawsey, RF/1B, .397, 11 HR, 43 RBI; Drew Ferguson, P, 5-0, 1.22 ERA, 63 K; Bradyn Garner, P, 2-1, 61 K; Tyler Roark, C, .365, 32 RBI.   
Outlook: Top-to-bottom, West Monroe might have the most solid lineup in the nation with five players who earned all-state recognition last year. Topping the list is Pearson, who earned MaxPreps Junior All-American honors last year. West Monroe nearly won back-to-back state titles but finished second to Barbe after winning it all in 2022. Class 5A is a tough state playoff bracket with the likes of Barbe (Lake Charles), Sam Houston (Lake Charles) and Live Oak (Watson) all in the mix along with the Rebels. "This is an experienced team," Simoneaux said. "The senior class has played in the last three state championship games." The season gets off to a tough start with a three-game series against Catholic (Baton Rouge).

@Reb72  Your guy blasted a few at the Bayou Jam Home Run Derby....Screenshot_20240218-171817-758.thumb.png.331c8db2a2ea26cd0dffa2bddccb5324.png 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RedZone said:

2. West Monroe (La.)
Coach:
 Wade Simoneaux

West Monroe is now officially a Baseball school...  guess there are worse things.  Starting the year with Catholic is a pretty tall order and my Rebs are notorious for starting slow.  It's kinda weird having folks talk about WM instead of Barbe :o

11 minutes ago, Reb72 said:

Starting the year with Catholic is a pretty tall order and my Rebs are notorious for starting slow.  

MaxPreps says Catholic has one of the best pitching staffs in the nation and they would be correct.

...2 pitchers committed to LSU, 1 to Houston and one to UNO so far. 

West Monroe may see all of them in a three-game series plus the guys that haven't committed yet. They have some mad pitching depth.

That should be a great three-game series that I'll be keeping up with.

Screenshot_20240218-230209-570.png

SBLive has Catholic Preseason #4 and West Monroe #17 in their Preseason Top 25.

Catholic has 3 LSU commits so far.

4. Catholic (Baton Rouge, La.) (0-0)

Last season: 36-3

Ranking rationale: The Bears were upset in the LHSAA Division 1 Select semifinals last season, ending their 16-game winning streak. Returning this season are LSU-bound pitchers William Schmidt and Grant Breaux. Infielder Trip Dobson (Houston) hit .340 with 13 extra-base hits last season. He’s joined in the lineup by Brooks Wright (UL-Lafayette), Jack Ruckert (LSU) and Noah Lewis (UL-Lafayette).

17. West Monroe (La.) (0-0)

Last season: 34-5

Ranking rationale: West Monroe’s 2023 season ended one game short of the title, falling to Barbe 5-1 in the Non-Select LHSAA championship. The Rebels return each of their top three hitters in Hayden Federico (Ole Miss), John Pearson (LSU) and Trey Hawsey (Louisiana Tech). Pearson hit .427 with seven home runs and 15 doubles last year while Hawsey finished with a .378 average, 11 home runs and 11 doubles. The Rebels return all but 23 innings on the mound and will be led by Andrew Ferguson (Louisiana Tech) and Bradyn Garner (LSU).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RedZone said:

SBLive has Catholic Preseason #4 and West Monroe #17 in their Preseason Top 25.

Catholic has 3 LSU commits so far.

4. Catholic (Baton Rouge, La.) (0-0)

Last season: 36-3

Ranking rationale: The Bears were upset in the LHSAA Division 1 Select semifinals last season, ending their 16-game winning streak. Returning this season are LSU-bound pitchers William Schmidt and Grant Breaux. Infielder Trip Dobson (Houston) hit .340 with 13 extra-base hits last season. He’s joined in the lineup by Brooks Wright (UL-Lafayette), Jack Ruckert (LSU) and Noah Lewis (UL-Lafayette).

17. West Monroe (La.) (0-0)

Last season: 34-5

Ranking rationale: West Monroe’s 2023 season ended one game short of the title, falling to Barbe 5-1 in the Non-Select LHSAA championship. The Rebels return each of their top three hitters in Hayden Federico (Ole Miss), John Pearson (LSU) and Trey Hawsey (Louisiana Tech). Pearson hit .427 with seven home runs and 15 doubles last year while Hawsey finished with a .378 average, 11 home runs and 11 doubles. The Rebels return all but 23 innings on the mound and will be led by Andrew Ferguson (Louisiana Tech) and Bradyn Garner (LSU).

this may be a little more realistic ranking considering Catholic's pitching

9 hours ago, Reb72 said:

this may be a little more realistic ranking considering Catholic's pitching

So I was looking at some of the rosters for these National Powerhouse baseball squads around the nation and they all have one thing in common.

ALL of them are absolutely loaded and stacked. 

Picking an order of any Top 25 is nearly impossible especially in the preseason.

Much like High School football. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

So I was looking at some of the rosters for these National Powerhouse baseball squads around the nation and they all have one thing in common.

ALL of them are absolutely loaded and stacked. 

Picking an order of any Top 25 is nearly impossible especially in the preseason.

Much like High School football. 

I did see a ranking of the Top 10 players in Louisiana and on that list West Monroe had 3 followed by Catholic with 2

4 hours ago, Reb72 said:

Catholic takes game 1 with a walk-off that wins it 4-3

game 2 tomorrow at 5

I watched the last inning of the game.

The game went into extra innings with Catholic pulling it out in their half of the 9th. 

West Monroe got a bad call that allowed the tying run to score in bottom of the 9th, but I think Catholic was going to pull it out anyways. They had a couple runners on base and only one out with their big bats coming up. 

Was e classic battle.

Barbe, La beat nationally ranked Live Oak, La yesterday 2-1 in extra innings also which was a hell of a game..... Barbe then lost to nationally ranked (#5) Flower Mound, Texas 8-4.

I really didn't understand that. Barbe played a doubleheader yesterday while Flower Mound just played Barbe. Flower Mound is a good team though and they won Texas 6A last year. They have a stacked roster also.

4 hours ago, RedZone said:

Lots of College and MLB scouts at the Catholic/West Monroe game yesterday.

Catholic has some very nice baseball facilities as well..

https://x.com/Tyler_Leary2414/status/1760817899055333599?s=20

More people were at the Catholic/West Monroe baseball game than normally show up for Florida Football State Championship games.

I kid..... a little.

5 hours ago, RedZone said:

I watched the last inning of the game.

The game went into extra innings with Catholic pulling it out in their half of the 9th. 

West Monroe got a bad call that allowed the tying run to score in bottom of the 9th, but I think Catholic was going to pull it out anyways. They had a couple runners on base and only one out with their big bats coming up. 

Was e classic battle.

Barbe, La beat nationally ranked Live Oak, La yesterday 2-1 in extra innings also which was a hell of a game..... Barbe then lost to nationally ranked (#5) Flower Mound, Texas 8-4.

I really didn't understand that. Barbe played a doubleheader yesterday while Flower Mound just played Barbe. Flower Mound is a good team though and they won Texas 6A last year. They have a stacked roster also.

The score was 8-3 Flower Mound and the game was played in Louisiana.  Get this shit right if you are going to report!

2 minutes ago, Mr. Football said:

The score was 8-3 Flower Mound and the game was played in Louisiana.  Get this shit right if you are going to report!

I saw 8-4, if it was 8-3 then it was 8-3. Don't blow a gasket Miss Football.

And it still doesn't change the fact that Barbe played a doubleheader while Flower Mound watched. I don't understand it if the game was played in freaking Alaska. I've never seen that before.

34 minutes ago, RedZone said:

And it still doesn't change the fact that Barbe played a doubleheader while Flower Mound watched. I don't understand it if the game was played in freaking Alaska. I've never seen that before.

So Barbe plays one of the best teams in the nation and Louisiana in Live Oak and wins 2-1 on a walk-off home run in the 9th (extra innings)..... then 10 minutes later takes the field against #5 team in the nation Flower Mound, Texas

Did I get that right Miss Football?

https://x.com/PBR_Louisiana/status/1760833718799786401?s=20

So Barbe plays one of the best teams in the nation and Louisiana in Live Oak and wins 2-1 on a walk-off home run in the 9th (extra innings)..... then 10 minutes later takes the field against #5 team in the nation Flower Mound, Texas

I believe Flower Mound plays doubleheader today?    Is that correct?

Forget the rankings…All based on last year!

59 minutes ago, Mr. Football said:

Forget the rankings…All based on last year!

The 9-15 college players all these stacked squads have is NOT based on last year.

Not to mention all the MLB prospects.

There's an absurd amount of baseball talent on these squads.

That's why Duncanville, DeSoto and North Shore can be ranked every year Preseason from Texas in football.

Clicking yet?

1 hour ago, Mr. Football said:

I believe Flower Mound plays doubleheader today?    Is that correct?

They do and Barbe just plays 1 game today...... that's a screwball way of doing things.

Good thing for Flower Mound is they are playing a mid-level Louisiana team in the night cap of their doubleheader and not West Monroe, Catholic-BR or one of the other better teams in this tournament or whatever it is..

That said.Too many teams just one field.

I don't like it. 

• RedZone changed the title to Official Louisiana and National 2024 High School Baseball Thread