Official Louisiana and National 2024 High School Baseball Thread

RedZone

10 hours ago, Reb72 said:

the big Trey Altick Baseball Classic is this weekend in north Louisiana, 45 teams and 10 venues.  Weather is pretty nasty today, raining and 43 degrees but WM begins play with a 8-2 win over Bryant (AR), they were the Arkansas # 10 team last year and play in the same 7A district with Conway and Cabot

treyaltick24.jpg

I watched Barbe last night and was not impressed. They are not a nationally ranked team this year. 

Got no sticks and got no pitching right now. Even if they get their two positional players back I don't think that's going to help the 2024 version of Barbe. I can't see Barbe winning State this year. It is early though and Barbe has one of the best head coaches in the nation though. The guy's a legend.

All that said this Barbe team scares nobody. It's not the Barbe I'm used to seeing. They did all the little baseball things right last night and made some nice plays in the field, etc  > but they just don't have the Bayou Mashers this Year. Barbe is definitely not going to bully anybody with this lineup.......just my opinion of course.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RedZone said:

5A Sam Houston, La beat #14 nationally ranked Trinity Christian Academy, FL in Atlanta today 4-2.

Nice win...

Sam Houston beat Lambert (Atlanta) yesterday 5-0 also. Lambert isn't very good.

Sam Houston is 2-0 in Atlanta and will face football power Mill Creek today. Mill Creek is more than respectable in baseball.

Trinity Christian, FL beat Mill Creek yesterday 7-4.

Interested in seeing how deep the Sam Houston pitching rotation is. .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

Sam Houston is 2-0 in Atlanta and will face football power Mill Creek today. Mill Creek is more than respectable in baseball.

West Monroe gets John Curtis today, have you seen Curtis play?  Are they as good as usual?

1 hour ago, Reb72 said:

West Monroe gets John Curtis today, have you seen Curtis play?  Are they as good as usual?

No, I haven't seen John Curtis yet......4-1 on the year.

I do know John Curtis beat  Live Oak's ace 9-4 in their season opener. Live Oak, of course> is a threat to win Louisiana 5A this year.

Live Oak beat National  Preseason #5 Flower Mound, Texas 7-2 last weekend in that Barbe tournament with their #3 pitcher.

Right now I'm thinking Barbe and Flower Mound are both highly overrated though.

Curtis is going to be Curtis in football and baseball.

9 hours ago, RedZone said:

No, I haven't seen John Curtis yet......4-1 on the year.

I do know John Curtis beat  Live Oak's ace 9-4 in their season opener. Live Oak, of course> is a threat to win Louisiana 5A this year.

Live Oak beat National  Preseason #5 Flower Mound, Texas 7-2 last weekend in that Barbe tournament with their #3 pitcher.

Right now I'm thinking Barbe and Flower Mound are both highly overrated though.

Curtis is going to be Curtis in football and baseball.

WM trailed John Curtis 1-0 going into the bottom of the 6th when the Rebs managed to push across 2 runs and they  hung on (I think) to win. I was listening but had to step away and when I got back it was over. Tomorrow West Monroe plays a doubleheader against Haughton and Destrehan 

• Like 1

Catholic-BR handed Florida Power Montverde Academy their first loss yesterday 11-2.......very good win for Catholic.

Catholic will face Georgia Preseason #1 and #6 nationally ranked Parkview (Atlanta) today. That should be good baseball. 

Catholic beat Parkview last year.

Barbe rebounded beating Gulf Shores, Alabama 14-1 yesterday..

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 5:56 AM, RedZone said:

This is the tournament Sam Houston, La is playing in Georgia. 👇

A lot of the games were canceled yesterday because of bad weather.

Not sure how the scheduling will work out today.

Sam Houston is 2-0 in the tournament.

Screenshot_20240302-061204-139.png

6 hours ago, RedZone said:

Catholic-BR handed Florida Power Montverde Academy their first loss yesterday 11-2.......very good win for Catholic.

Catholic will face Georgia Preseason #1 and #6 nationally ranked Parkview (Atlanta) today. That should be good baseball. 

Catholic beat Parkview last year.

Barbe rebounded beating Gulf Shores, Alabama 14-1 yesterday..

0-0 (bottom 5)

5 hours ago, RedZone said:

0-0 (bottom 5)

Huge win for Catholic-BR.

The Catholic Bear beats  Parkview, GA 3-1. Parkview is #4 Nationally at MaxPreps and Top 10 in all the other polls.

Catholic goes 4-0 in the Perfect Game Showdown at Hoover and takes home a big trophy for winning the Blue Bracket Championship.

Would be great if the Red Bracket champ could play the Blue Bracket champ and White Bracket champ.

I guess that would be too many games though.

Note: You know you have a deep pitching rotation when you are starting your 4th different pitcher and hold the #4 team in the nation to 1 run and 3 hits.

The Parkview pitcher was lights out too.

Great game!

17 minutes ago, RedZone said:

The Catholic Bear beats  Parkview, GA 3-1. Parkview is #4 Nationally at MaxPreps and Top 10 in all the other polls.

Catholic goes 4-0 in the Perfect Game Showdown at Hoover and takes home a big trophy for winning the Red Bracket Championship.

Would be great if the Red Bracket champ could play the Blue Bracket champ.

Note: You know you have a deep pitching rotation when you're starting your 4th different pitcher and hold the #4 team in the nation to 1 run and 3 hits.

Great game!

Catholic-BR has games coming up with #5 and #10 in a couple of weeks.

Taking 3 from West Monroe, beating Montverde Academy, FL and Parkview, GA is quite an early season resume.

Screenshot_20240302-132412-828.png

Wow, Nobody Bob Jones, AL up on IMG Academy 9-6 in the 6th.

They are playing for the Red Bracket championship at Hoover.

IMG Academy's pitching depth is obviously not as deep as Catholic's. 

Catholic-BR has some arms.

Screenshot_20240302-152422-326.png

30 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Wow, Nobody Bob Jones, AL up on IMG Academy 9-6 in the 6th.

They are playing for the Red Bracket championship at Hoover.

IMG Academy's pitching depth is obviously not as deep as Catholic's. 

Catholic-BR has some arms.

Screenshot_20240302-152422-326.png

Bob Jones beats #1 IMG Academy 11-6 to take the Red Bracket championship.

IMG Academy is #1 or #2 in almost all the polls.

A real shocker when IMG  football or baseball takes a loss especially to a Bob Jones.

• Like 1

Taking 3 from West Monroe, beating Montverde Academy, FL and Parkview, GA is quite an early season resume.

Looking more and more like there's no real shame in losing to Catholic, they are the only team to beat West Monroe so far... they just did it 3 times 😉

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Reb72 said:

Looking more and more like there's no real shame in losing to Catholic, they are the only team to beat West Monroe so far... they just did it 3 times 😉

Nope, Catholic is legit and has a real shot at a myth national championship this year. They will probably move up to #2 or #3 next week in the polls.

Also I may have pulled the plug on Barbe a little too soon. They have scored 26 runs in the last 2 games winning 14-1 and 12-0.  They have one more game left in the tournament later tonight. They could finish 3-1 at this event. 

It's hard to say really because Barbe saw #3 and #4 guys last night and today on the mound. Barbe clearly has a little pitching depth though.

7 hours ago, RedZone said:

Catholic goes 4-0 in the Perfect Game Showdown at Hoover and takes home a big trophy for winning the Blue Bracket Championship.

Would be great if the Red Bracket champ could play the Blue Bracket champ.

Note: You know you have a deep pitching rotation when you're starting your 4th different pitcher and hold the #4 team in the nation to 1 run and 3 hits.

Great game!

The last out .....it was a K.

Catholic feeling it.

gif-20240302-164225.gif

Florida power North Broward Prep is up 2-0 on MaxPreps #5 Lewisburg, MS in the White Bracket championship game.

North Broward Prep is ranked in many of the Top 25 and Top 50 National polls.

There were a lot of teams at this tournament.

Screenshot_20240302-174010-371.png

Florida power North Broward Prep is up 2-0 on MaxPreps #5 Lewisburg, MS in the White Bracket championship game.

North Broward Prep is ranked in many of the Top 25 and Top 50 National polls.

There were a lot of teams at this tournament.

Screenshot_20240302-174010-371.png

North Broward Prep thumped Maxpreps #5 Lewisburg 7-1 for the White Bracket championship. That's a quality win, but it's definitely not an upset.

Bob Jones thumping IMG Academy was the upset.

The highest National Ranking I can find for North Broward Prep is #16. 👇

16North Broward Prep (Coconut Creek, Fla.) (0-0)

Last season: 27-5

Ranking rationale: North Broward Prep had their 17-game winning streak ended by Calvary Christian in the FHSAA 3A State title game, ending their hopes for three straight championships. The Eagles bring back eight of their top 10 hitters this season led by Riley Luft (Appalachian State), Mateo Gray (UCF), and Gian De Castro (Arizona State). Gray and Luft along with Ryan McPherson (Mississippi State) return as North Broward Prep’s top three pitchers from a season ago.

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

Nope, Catholic is legit and has a real shot at a myth national championship this year. They will probably move up to #2 or #3 next week in the polls.

Also I may have pulled the plug on Barbe a little too soon. They have scored 26 runs in the last 2 games winning 14-1 and 12-0.  They have one more game left in the tournament later tonight. They could finish 3-1 at this event. 

It's hard to say really because Barbe saw #3 and #4 guys last night and today on the mound. Barbe clearly has a little pitching depth though.

After Barbe got smacked by IMG in Game 1 of the event Barbe went on a tear winning the next 3 games 14-1, 12-0, and 10-0. The last two games had to be stopped in the 6th inning (run-ruled, running clocked). Of course when you drop down to the consolation bracket you ain't exactly seeing the top teams in the nation. But just the same, nice rebound. They could have packed it in.

Barbe goes 3-1.

And that wraps up the 2024 Perfect Game Showdown at Hoover.

27 minutes ago, RedZone said:

After Barbe got smacked by IMG in Game 1 of the event Barbe went on a tear winning the next 3 games 14-1, 12-0, and 10-0. The last two games had to be stopped in the 6th inning (run-ruled, running clocked). Of course when you drop down to the consolation bracket you ain't exactly seeing the top teams in the nation. But just the same, nice rebound. They could have packed it in.

Barbe goes 3-1.

And that wraps up the 2024 Perfect Game Showdown at Hoover.

Barbe is always going to be solid, they are a baseball factory. 

While WM wasn't in a high profile tourny, the Rebs did go 4 - 0 and beat some respectable ball clubs in Bryant (AR), John Curtis,  Hahnville and Destrehan.  I feel a lot better at 6-3 than I did at 1-3 after last weekend. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RedZone said:

#3 Corona will play #7 Orange Lutheran on 3/6 in a battle of MaxPreps Top 10 teams. Will try to do a preview a little later.

....3 MaxPreps Top 10 teams took losses this weekend> iMG, Parkview and Lewisburg. 

I don't expect a radical change in the Top 10, but there will be some movement up and down.

I'm not sure how far you drop IMG Academy who could probably beat a lot of college teams, but that Bob Jones loss was very ugly. .

Meanwhile MaxPreps #1 Stoneman Douglas, FL is on a 56 game winning streak which is absurd. I'm going to have to check that streak out a little later.

Need to send those cats to Louisiana or California one weekend. 😧

Now 5-0, the Eagles extended their winning streak to 56 straight games. Up next, Douglas is expected to be tested again on Thursday when they host state power, Tampa Jesuit.1 day ago

Meanwhile MaxPreps #1 Stoneman Douglas, FL is on a 56 game winning streak which is absurd. I'm going to have to check that streak out a little later.

Need to send those cats to Louisiana or California one weekend. 😧

Now 5-0, the Eagles extended their winning streak to 56 straight games. Up next, Douglas is expected to be tested again on Thursday when they host state power, Tampa Jesuit.1 day ago

Appreciate the updates.  I would watch some of these if there was a link.  

#baseballmirrorslife

• Like 1

3 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Appreciate the updates.  I would watch some of these if there was a link.  

#baseballmirrorslife

I watched 5 of the Perfect Game Showdown games the last couple of days. There weren't any Western teams at the Perfect Game Showdown in Hoover which was kind of weird for a tournament that size.... the event had 3 champions.

The next big National tournament coming up will be in Cary, NC. A much smaller field of teams, but lots of quality teams just the same

The USA Baseball Invitational. It has more of a Western look for some reason which is weird too with four California teams, couple from Arizona, one from Washington and one from Nevada.

Maybe @Wooderson knows a little bit about the Arizona teams. Arizona normally has some pretty decent baseball. 

I'll be covering this tournament also as it will surely impact the national rankings. All these games are on Demand so I don't know how many I'll be watching. 

https://www.usabaseball.com/news/usa-baseball-reveals-2024-national-high-school-invitational-field

The first round matchups. 👎

Screenshot_20240303-134555-880.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1