Official Louisiana and National 2024 High School Baseball Thread

RedZone

On 3/2/2024 at 6:19 AM, RedZone said:

This is the tournament Sam Houston, La is playing in Georgia. 👇

A lot of the games were canceled yesterday because of bad weather.

Not sure how the scheduling will work out today.

Sam Houston is 2-0 in the tournament.

Screenshot_20240302-061204-139.png

Was reported on the LSU forum that Sam Houston, La won the LaGrange Baseball Invitational in Georgia this weekend.

Per the report Sam Houston went 3-0 with one rain out.

#solid

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Was reported on the LSU forum that Sam Houston, La won the LaGrange Baseball Invitational in Georgia this weekend.

Per the report Sam Houston went 3-0 with one rain out.

#solid

Sam Houston, La beat Florida power Trinity Christian Academy 4-2 and Georgia Power LaGrange 5-2. Sam Houston also beat Lambert, GA, but they aren't very good.

LaGrange, GA beat Georgia Power Buford 3-2 in this tournament. That was obviously a good win for them

LaGrange's 3 games in the tournament below. 👇

I don't know if there was a real winner in this tournament. I don't see anything about anybody getting a trophy or anything. I think Sam Houston maybe just won their pool which was a good pool though. Really small tournament.

Screenshot_20240303-161108-666.png

21 hours ago, RedZone said:

Meanwhile MaxPreps #1 Stoneman Douglas, FL is on a 56 game winning streak which is absurd. I'm going to have to check that streak out a little later.

Need to send those cats to Louisiana or California one weekend. 😧

Now 5-0, the Eagles extended their winning streak to 56 straight games. Up next, Douglas is expected to be tested again on Thursday when they host state power, Tampa Jesuit.1 day ago

Note: when I refer to a team's national ranking it's the highest ranking that I can find in any Poll for that week and it changes from week to week. All these polls have different opinions much like football.

That said. I took a look at the #1 Stoneman Douglas, FL 2024 schedule and they're sure not traveling around the country trying to prove it. Not entered in any of the national tournaments this year that I saw. However> that doesn't mean they can't be good

There's a handful of South Florida teams that might could beat Douglas this year, but I don' really know. South Florida is a baseball hot bed though and there's lots of talent in that area. 

@Atticus Finch and STA will try to snap that 56 game winning streak in a couple days. I'm hearing Atticus will take the mound for that one. STA is currently 5-1 on the year. 

SBLive Top 25

Catholic (Baton Rouge) moves up to #3, about right, I think.

Catholic has a big game against SBLive #4 in a couple weeks. A loaded Knoxville, TN power. Catholic definitely has the schedule to win a myth National Championship. Lots of baseball left this season though.

IMG took a dip after losing to Bob Jones. That was their first loss since 2022.

Anyways, there's a new #1 this week. 👇

https://highschool.si.com/national/2024/03/04/top-25-national-high-school-baseball-rankings-corona-california-new-no-1-stoneman-douglas-florida-no-2-3-4-2024#gid=ci02d78128000025f8&pid=1-corona-calif-3-0

Screenshot_20240304-174939-333.png

• Like 2

Mater Dei goes 2-1 in the five tool tournament in Dallas, TX. 2nd straight year playing in Texas. 9-3 win over Highland Park, 6-1 win over Rockwall Heath, and a 5-4 loss against #16 in the country(maxpreps) Prosper. Hope the baseball program can take some steps forward this year. League play will be tough. 4-1 on the year with other wins over AZ schools. 

IMG_0420.jpeg

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Mater Dei goes 2-1 in the five tool tournament in Dallas, TX. 2nd straight year playing in Texas. 9-3 win over Highland Park, 6-1 win over Rockwall Heath, and a 5-4 loss against #16 in the country(maxpreps) Prosper. Hope the baseball program can take some steps forward this year. League play will be tough. 4-1 on the year with other wins over AZ schools. 

IMG_0420.jpeg

Santa Margaritaville, CA beat Flower Mound, TX 9-5 and Southlake Carroll, TX 14-2 in that Five Tool event in Dallas.

5 hours ago, RedZone said:

SBLive Top 25

Catholic (Baton Rouge) moves up to #3, about right, I think.

Catholic has a big game against SBLive #4 in a couple weeks. A loaded Knoxville, TN power. Catholic definitely has the schedule to win a myth National Championship. Lots of baseball left this season though.

IMG took a dip after losing to Bob Jones. That was their first loss since 2022.

Anyways, there's a new #1 this week. 👇

https://highschool.si.com/national/2024/03/04/top-25-national-high-school-baseball-rankings-corona-california-new-no-1-stoneman-douglas-florida-no-2-3-4-2024#gid=ci02d78128000025f8&pid=1-corona-calif-3-0

Screenshot_20240304-174939-333.png

Nice to see 2 Nor Cal teams Valley Christian and DLS crack the top 25…. VC was #1 in Nor Cal last year and lost an Epic Game to DLS in the Nor Cal Regional Championship game…. VC is loaded again with multiple D1 commits…. 

DLS hasn’t lost a Playoff game Since 2015 When College Park High School Beat them in the Championship Game…. That CP team started the season ranked #1 in the country and had 8 D1 players on it including the Gatorade National player of the year and 2 currently playing in MLB…..

DLS lost some really good offensive players to graduation, they are young and pitching will be their strength with multiple D1 commits on the pitching staff….

4 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

IMG_0420.jpeg

My son’s team played SM and JSERRA last summer and those teams are no joke!…. If MD is good, that league will be the best Baseball league in the country with those 3 teams and OLU…. Plus SJB is usually good as well….

His team also played in the JSerra MLK classic in January, So we played at SM and JSerra, what beautiful facilities!!…. JSERRA is an impressive campus and had one of the best Baseball stadium’s I have seen for a high school….. My son missed a grand slam by 3 ft there so great memories!…. 🤣

• Like 2

5 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

My son’s team played SM and JSERRA last summer and those teams are no joke!…. If MD is good, that league will be the best Baseball league in the country with those 3 teams and OLU…. Plus SJB is usually good as well….

His team also played in the JSerra MLK classic in January, So we played at SM and JSerra, what beautiful facilities!!…. JSERRA is an impressive campus and had one of the best Baseball stadium’s I have seen for a high school….. My son missed a grand slam by 3 ft there so great memories!…. 🤣

Trinity league baseball is stacked from top to bottom. JS and Olu are nationally elite. But all the other teams are good. There is great parity. There will be some very good teams that don’t make the playoffs. Baseball playoffs is not like football. Last season MD was ranked in the top 25 but didn’t make the playoffs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

JSerra does have a nice baseball field.

A turf infield and outfield.

Looks nice.

Screenshot_20240305-055343-451.png

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

JSerra does have a nice baseball field.

A turf infield and outfield.

Looks nice.

Screenshot_20240305-055343-451.png

5A power Live Oak, La sunk $8 million into a new baseball and softball complex just a few years ago. 

All turf on both fields with covered stands.

Live Oak has a solid win over Texas #1 Flower Mound who was #5 nationally at the time. Live Oak beat Flower Mound 7-2.

Anyways, Live Oak has a huge 3-game series with Catholic this weekend in Baton Rouge.

Live Oak's baseball field mirrors JSerra's.

Both really nice facilities.

Screenshot_20240305-063557-328.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RedZone said:

SBLive #4 Farragut, TN won their season opener last night 9-1 against a very solid Knoxville Catholic team.

Farragut has some huge games on their schedule which includes playing #3 Catholic, La and #2 Stoneman Douglas, FL.

I read their preview and their head coach said this is the most loaded Farragut team he's had since he's been there. Supposedly, they have 3 pitchers committed to the University of Tennessee amongst their cast.

Anyways, 👇

Screenshot_20240305-074025-768.png

On 3/3/2024 at 2:22 PM, RedZone said:

I watched 5 of the Perfect Game Showdown games the last couple of days. There weren't any Western teams at the Perfect Game Showdown in Hoover which was kind of weird for a tournament that size.... the event had 3 champions.

The next big National tournament coming up will be in Cary, NC. A much smaller field of teams, but lots of quality teams just the same

The USA Baseball Invitational. It has more of a Western look for some reason which is weird too with four California teams, couple from Arizona, one from Washington and one from Nevada.

Maybe @Wooderson knows a little bit about the Arizona teams. Arizona normally has some pretty decent baseball. 

I'll be covering this tournament also as it will surely impact the national rankings. All these games are on Demand so I don't know how many I'll be watching. 

https://www.usabaseball.com/news/usa-baseball-reveals-2024-national-high-school-invitational-field

The first round matchups. 👎

Screenshot_20240303-134555-880.png

You California dudes need to keep an eye on that Knoxville Farragut squad.

They're not exactly bringing a little league team to Cary, NC.

Farragut will play Orange Lutheran Game 1 of that tournament.

Just a note.

Wasn't aware that St Michael (Baton Rouge) clubbed MaxPreps #17 6A Prosper, TX 10-1 at the Five Tool event in Dallas this past weekend.....very impressive win for St Michael. 

We got some really good high school baseball in Louisiana there's just no denying that. Got some good college baseball too! Go LSU!

Latest MaxPreps Top 25.

Bob Jones, AL is now a somebody.

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/news/vCGGncCg1E-uoRvvHHiujQ/high-school-baseball-rankings-bob-jones-of-alabama-makes-maxpreps-top-25-debut-after-knocking-off-img-academy.htm

St Michael, La 👇👍

Screenshot_20240305-163619-860.png

15 hours ago, RedZone said:

You California dudes need to keep an eye on that Knoxville Farragut squad.

They're not exactly bringing a little league team to Cary, NC.

Farragut will play Orange Lutheran Game 1 of that tournament.

Just a note.

The Admirals are always good at baseball. OLu is no joke, either. 

7 hours ago, RedZone said:

Remember this guy at LSU last year?

Best pitcher to ever come through LSU, in my opinion........ and we've had some great ones. 

Will be interesting to see him develop. No doubt about the gas though!

From El Toro HS in Orange County which also produced Matt Chapman and I think Nolan Arenado if I remember correctly….

He only played 1 year at LSU…. Played 2 years at Air Force Academy which is pretty crazy!!!…. 🤣

28 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

He only played 1 year at LSU

What a year it was too.

.....1st Pick in the MLB Draft and won a College World Series......and was  the National Player and Pitcher of the year to boot..

AT LSU
2023 Dick Howser Trophy Winner
2023 National Player of the Year (D1 Baseball, Collegiate Baseball)
2023 National Pitcher of the Year (College Baseball Foundation)
2023 Consensus First-Team All-American
2023 College World Series Most Outstanding Player
2023 NCAA Regional All-Tournament Team
2023 SEC Pitcher of the Year
2023 First-Team All-SEC
2023 SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll
2023 LSWA Louisiana Pitcher of the Year
2023 Seven-Time Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Week
SEC Pitcher of the Week (March 6 and Feb. 20, 2023)

5 hours ago, RedZone said:

Wonder if both teams will be pitching their aces tonight?

Screenshot_20240306-085455-412.png

Both teams have something in common. They both have a LSU commit. The LSU Baseball Brand is dominating recruiting. 

Needless to say if all these players committed to LSU show up on campus LSU,, well, you know what's going to happen. 

Catholic (Baton Rouge) has 3 LSU commits..... 2 Pitchers and a SS. All 3 will most likely be drafted, but one will be going in the first round. The other 2 may make it to campus. 

Anyways, 

Nice talent. OLU seems to have a little more.

CORONA PANTHERS VS. ORANGE LUTHERAN LANCERS

+ Date: 3/6/2024 + Time: 6 PM + Location: Great Park Stadium (Irvine, California)

+ Corona HS 2024 Record: 3-0 Overall 

+ Head Coach: Andy Wise 

+ Key Players (Corona):  

+ '24 LHP Ethan Schiefelbein - UCLA 

+ '24 C/3B Josh Springer - Oregon 

+ '24  LHP/1B Sam Burgess - TCU

+ '25 SS Billy Carlson - Vanderbilt

+ '25 RHP/1B Seth Hernandez - Vanderbilt

+ '25 SS Brady Ebel - LSU

+ ’26 INF Trey Ebel 

+ '26 OF Anthony Murphy

+’27 LHP/OF Mason Sims 

+ Orange Lutheran HS 2024 Record: 7-0 Overall

+ Head Coach: Eric Borba

+ Key Players (Orange Lutheran): 

+ ‘24 CF Derek Curiel (LSU) 

+ ‘24 SS Gabe Fraser (Arkansas) 

+ ‘24 OF Ben Reiland (Oklahoma State) 

+ ‘24 OF Finnegan Stewart (Utah Tech) 

+ ‘24 RHP Alex Chavez (LMU) 

+ ‘24 C/OF Nate Savoie (LMU) 

+ ‘24 RHP/INF Vinny Hudson (Arizona) 

+ ‘25 OF/1B Josiah Hartshorn (Texas A&M)

+ ‘25 RHP Colt Peterson (Stanford)

+ ‘26 C Brady Murrietta (Texas)

+ ‘26 INF Gavin Hottle (TCU)

+ ‘26 RHP/INF Hamilton Friedberg (Air Force)

+ ‘24 RHP Nolan Tillitt 

+ ‘24 RHP Ross Clark 

+ ‘24 RHP/INF Brady Strohm

+ ’25 MINF Wyatt Hanoian 

+ '26 MINF Justin Lopez

+ '26 RHP Gary Morse

+ '26 RHP Tristan Ramos

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RedZone said:

Both teams have something in common. They both have a LSU commit. The LSU Baseball Brand is dominating recruiting. 

Needless to say if all these players committed to LSU show up on campus LSU,, well, you know what's going to happen. 

Catholic (Baton Rouge) has 3 LSU commits..... 2 Pitchers and a SS. All 3 will most likely be drafted, but one will be going in the first round. The other 2 may make it to campus. 

Anyways, 

Nice talent. OLU seems to have a little more.

CORONA PANTHERS VS. ORANGE LUTHERAN LANCERS

+ Date: 3/6/2024 + Time: 6 PM + Location: Great Park Stadium (Irvine, California)

+ Corona HS 2024 Record: 3-0 Overall 

+ Head Coach: Andy Wise 

+ Key Players (Corona):  

+ '24 LHP Ethan Schiefelbein - UCLA 

+ '24 C/3B Josh Springer - Oregon 

+ '24  LHP/1B Sam Burgess - TCU

+ '25 SS Billy Carlson - Vanderbilt

+ '25 RHP/1B Seth Hernandez - Vanderbilt

+ '25 SS Brady Ebel - LSU

+ ’26 INF Trey Ebel 

+ '26 OF Anthony Murphy

+’27 LHP/OF Mason Sims 

+ Orange Lutheran HS 2024 Record: 7-0 Overall

+ Head Coach: Eric Borba

+ Key Players (Orange Lutheran): 

+ ‘24 CF Derek Curiel (LSU) 

+ ‘24 SS Gabe Fraser (Arkansas) 

+ ‘24 OF Ben Reiland (Oklahoma State) 

+ ‘24 OF Finnegan Stewart (Utah Tech) 

+ ‘24 RHP Alex Chavez (LMU) 

+ ‘24 C/OF Nate Savoie (LMU) 

+ ‘24 RHP/INF Vinny Hudson (Arizona) 

+ ‘25 OF/1B Josiah Hartshorn (Texas A&M)

+ ‘25 RHP Colt Peterson (Stanford)

+ ‘26 C Brady Murrietta (Texas)

+ ‘26 INF Gavin Hottle (TCU)

+ ‘26 RHP/INF Hamilton Friedberg (Air Force)

+ ‘24 RHP Nolan Tillitt 

+ ‘24 RHP Ross Clark 

+ ‘24 RHP/INF Brady Strohm

+ ’25 MINF Wyatt Hanoian 

+ '26 MINF Justin Lopez

+ '26 RHP Gary Morse

+ '26 RHP Tristan Ramos

This California Showdown has been moved to Friday.

The Louisiana Showdown of the week features Catholic vs Live Oak. The 3-game series will start tonight.

Supposedly, both team's Aces will go tonight which is what everyone wants to see. Will be a lot of MLB scouts in attendance is the word.

Catholic: William Schmidt  (LSU commit)

Live Oak: Sawyer Pruitt (Ole Miss commit)-one that got away.

Both pitchers are mountains on the mound pushing 6-5 with some serious heat.

It should be a classic pitcher's dual. Whichever team can scrape out a couple of runs and play clean baseball will be the team that probably wins it. 

Screenshot_20240307-054455-748.png

Screenshot_20240307-054122-669.png

• Like 1

Tampa Jesuit will try to stop the Stoneman Douglas 56 game winning streak tonight.

Tampa Jesuit just doesn't have the goods this year though. But maybe they could "Bob Jones" Stoneman Douglas.

Stoneman Douglas is 4 wins away from tying the Florida All Time High School Baseball winning streak record. I believe that's right.

16 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Tampa Jesuit will try to stop the Stoneman Douglas 56 game winning streak tonight.

Tampa Jesuit just doesn't have the goods this year though. But maybe they could "Bob Jones" Stoneman Douglas.

Stoneman Douglas is 4 wins away from tying the Florida All Time High School Baseball winning streak record in Florida. I believe that's right.

Stoneman Douglas has a loaded roster. There is no denying that. I would have liked to have seen them enter some of these big National tournaments though

Stoneman Douglas Top Players 👇

Name, Position, Class (College Commitment)
Devin Fitz-Gerald, SS, 2024 (NC State)
Rylan Lujo, 3B, 2024 (Dayton)
Alex Rodriguez, CF, 2024 (UCF)
Niko Benestad, 1B, 2024 (USF)
Jayden Dubanewicz, RHP, 2024 (Florida)
Gavin Gargioulo, RHP, 2024 (UCF)
Bennett Gary, OF, 2025 (Miami)
Erick Torres, INF, 2025 (Eastern Kentucky)
Gio Rojas, LHP, 2026 (Miami)
David Goldapper, LHP, 2024 (Florida State)
Nick Diaz, OF/ 1B, 2025 (Georgia)