The best athlete you ever played on a team with...

badrouter

Doesn't have to be at any particular level.

For me, it's Tracy McGrady. We played on an AAU team called the Polk County all-stars in the 1990s. My Dad drove myself and Tracy to practice a few times. We were coming from Lakeland and going to Winter Haven. Tracy lived in a trailer park type area in Auburndale which was kind of on the way. Coaches were George Tinsley and Gordon Gibbons, who later coached DII Florida Southern. The team did have one other player who was drafted into the NBA- Alvin Jones, who was a childhood friend. Alvin was thought to be the best prospect on the team by far at the time. He was 6'6" or 6'7" as a 13/14 year-old, whereas Tracy had not yet bloomed. There were other good athletes as you might imagine. Art Salary and Jamie Phillips come to mind. Phillips' son just completed his senior year of hoops, losing in the state Final Four. 

Unfortunately, it was a rather miserable experience for me. I was in over my head and eventually quit the team. I wish I had the foresight at the time to appreciate who I was playing with. It sort of ruined me as a basketball player. I still remember Lucky Lyons, the Lakeland QB at the time I attended Lakeland, giving me a hard time for not coming out to play for LHS basketball. But, I just came to hate playing due to getting beat down so many times in those AAU practices! 

• Like 6

I played with Todd Helton in middle school (pee wee and midget teams). Believe it or not, he wasn’t the starting QB. We both played DE. Of course, he became an all-American QB in high school. Might’ve gone pro at QB, but he got beat out for the starting spot by some guy named Peyton Manning at Tennessee. It worked out for him on the baseball diamond, though. 

I played LB in high school at a prep school in Virginia. Our team played against Eddie George in one game. That guy had tree trunks for legs. I was 6’2” and 220 back then. I hit him head on one play and he proceeded to drag me for 10 yards before going down. A beast man playing with boys! 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

I played with Todd Helton in middle school (pee wee and midget teams). Believe it or not, he wasn’t the starting QB. We both played DE. Of course, he became an all-American QB in high school. Might’ve gone pro at QB, but he got beat out for the starting spot by some guy named Peyton Manning at Tennessee. It worked out for him on the baseball diamond, though. 

I played LB in high school at a prep school in Virginia. Our team played against Eddie George in one game. That guy had tree trunks for legs. I was 6’2” and 220 back then. I hit him head on one play and he proceeded to drag me for 10 yards before going down. A beast man playing with boys! 

As a life-long Gator (and alum), I'll always remember the 1994 UF-UT game. UF was #1 for the first half of the season, and the biggest win was the 31-0 win in Knoxville. And, if memory serves, Helton was the primary UT QB that night, with that other guy being just another option. The '93 and '95 UT-UF games at the Swamp were great memories for us Gators!

12 minutes ago, badrouter said:

As a life-long Gator (and alum), I'll always remember the 1994 UF-UT game. UF was #1 for the first half of the season, and the biggest win was the 31-0 win in Knoxville. And, if memory serves, Helton was the primary UT QB that night, with that other guy being just another option. The '93 and '95 UT-UF games at the Swamp were great memories for us Gators!

You just had to bring that up! 😡

You guys were our nemesis in the 90s. Manning never beat Florida. Kept us out of the national title hunt all those years. What’s funny is, as soon as Manning leaves we finally beat Florida and, lo and behold, we win the Natty.  I got stationed in Omaha from 94-97.  At least I got to witness someone stomp a mud hole in you guys! 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Omaha Vol said:

You just had to bring that up! 😡

You guys were our nemesis in the 90s. Manning never beat Florida. Kept us out of the national title hunt all those years. What’s funny is, as soon as Manning leaves we finally beat Florida and, lo and behold, we win the Natty.  I got stationed in Omaha from 94-97.  At least I got to witness someone stomp a mud hole in you guys! 🤣

The 90's Gators-Vols games were another thing I wish I had the ability to appreciate more at the time. Turns out that was a legendary time; I just didn't fully realize it or appreciate it at the time!