OT: NJ student drops out of college with 4.0 GPA

HSFBfan

One of the purposes of college is to help develop higher level thinking skills such as analysis, synthesis and evaluation through quantitative and qualitative coursework. College isn't the only area to develop these skills but it is one that has a comprehensive process.

i think if people approached it from this perspective as opposed to a means to gaining better employment, they might value it more.

Others criticized Wilson for either being entitled or asking how it's possible to get a good job without going to college.

Thats a line from the story. There are plenty of people out there that have good jobs without a Bachelors degree. Plenty of very good civil service jobs will take you with 60 credits. Yes i know that this kid only has 30 credits if he completed 1 full year. But if he wants to start his own company he can do that without college. 

9 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

If you think of college as a financial investment, then I think it has become an unwise investment for anyone who has to pay his or her own way, at least across a large number of majors. 

I've read recently that in America students now graduate with nearly $30K of student debt on average. And for a number of the most popular majors, graduates aren't earning much more than non-graduates. For example, I read that psychology majors are making 1K more per year than non-graduates.

If these data are right, then don't major in psychology if you have to pay your own way, and you're going to college to make money.

3 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

If you think of college as a financial investment, then I think it has become an unwise investment for anyone who has to pay his or her own way, at least across a large number of majors. 

I've read recently that in America students now graduate with nearly $30K of student debt on average. And for a number of the most popular majors, graduates aren't earning much more than non-graduates. For example, I read that psychology majors are making 1K more per year than non-graduates.

If these data are right, then don't major in psychology if you have to pay your own way, and you're going to college to make money.

Thats the line we were sold. If you go to college you will make a significant more money then someone without a degree. 

Im personally about 20k in debt

22 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

One of the purposes of college is to help develop higher level thinking skills such as analysis, synthesis and evaluation through quantitative and qualitative coursework. College isn't the only area to develop these skills but it is one that has a comprehensive process.

i think if people approached it from this perspective as opposed to a means to gaining better employment, they might value it more.

I think I agree with you.

The university is an old institution, and wasn't designed to help citizens make more money. The idea that the point of going to college is to make money is a fairly new one. 

But there are, I think, at least two things to be said.

First, there are now literally hundreds of majors (I think Michigan has over 200 now), and I'd argue that many -- in fact, I'd say most -- don't teach critical thinking skills or any valuable skills at all. (I'm construing value broadly here, not just economic or financial value.)

Second, even constraining the class of majors to those that teach valuable skills, broadly construed, college in America has become so expensive that it's increasingly difficult to justify the monetary cost of going.

• Like 1

Like i said they sold a line of going to college will essentially make you a millionaire. Every company will be competing for you because of that piece of paper. Thats not true. When you go to college you go in thinking that companies are gonna pay you all this money. They are not. They are gonna pay you what they believe you should be paid for the job. You hear people say all the time i have my degree i shouldnt have to go to work for less then x amount of money. Thats not how it works. You take whatever you can get in the field that you pursued. I agree that there are many too many majors out there and most of them are crap. Colleges should change with the times. Take a look at the top 10 job fields that are booming at the time and steer kids into those fields. And another thing is kids go to college too young. At 17-18 you have no idea what you wanna do for the most part so you waste time partying and living life. Yes i am guilty of it. Kids after HS should either join the military and get real world experience or go travel. Go to college when your older and more mature esp for males. 

We don't need no education.

Social media has shown how the English language is spiraling downward, primarily due to people repeatedly misspelling and misusing words. Just as it has changed from the era of the Founding Fathers, it continues to denigrate, albeit more recently the pace is accelerating.

Our politicians for the last 20 years or so exhibit poor command of the language, our news reporters are similarly getting away with lazy grammar, and as we common people (should I have used "us" instead of "we"?) more often now write and say whatever we want, the misuse becomes more acceptable. Eventually, that is a significant factor in how language changes.

And then to hear that 10,000 bikers will be around the inauguration to protect against protesters. Not sure if that is true, but sure sounds like Mad Max is closer than I thought.

Now, is college too expensive, and are too many "electives" required? Fuckin A!

(Fuckin A is more and more accepted as a form of not just "yes", but "hell yes!")

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Social media has shown how the English language is spiraling downward, primarily due to people repeatedly misspelling and misusing words. Just as it has changed from the era of the Founding Fathers, it continues to denigrate, albeit more recently the pace is accelerating.

Our politicians for the last 20 years or so exhibit poor command of the language, our news reporters are similarly getting away with lazy grammar, and as we common people (should I have used "us" instead of "we"?) more often now write and say whatever we want, the misuse becomes more acceptable. Eventually, that is a significant factor in how language changes.

And then to hear that 10,000 bikers will be around the inauguration to protect against protesters. Not sure if that is true, but sure sounds like Mad Max is closer than I thought.

(Fuckin A is more and more accepted as a form of not just "yes", but "hell yes!")

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/5/bikers-for-trump-secure-space-for-inauguration-ami/

37 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Ive paid out of pocket for college.... My Uncle may be gone but he's still looking out for me. But I have questioned rather its worth it or not. I just dont want it to be a waste..... 

20 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Oh this is going to be so much fun to watch. A group of bikers telling a bunch of left wing looney women to go f off. The videos should be just grand. I wonder how the trayvon martin foundation got involved in this? Because we all know that white boy GZ killed trayvon (barry's son).

Just now, aZjimbo said:

Oh this is going to be so much fun to watch. A group of bikers telling a bunch of left wing looney women to go f off. The videos should be just grand. I wonder how the trayvon martin foundation got involved in this? Because we all know that white boy GZ killed trayvon (barry's son).

Kinda wish i could be in Washington on Jan 20 just to see it

37 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

And since we think in language, as the quality our language goes, so does the quality of our thoughts.

I'm often unsure whether I'm witnessing the decline of the West, or I'm just getting old. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Why did this discussion go from college degrees to the inaugural activities?  

I think because police and secret service and other groups used to be the method of crowd control in inauguration-type events, and the use of "biker groups" in this instance is an example of a less-educated society. Mad Max reference is an exaggeration, but that's a picture I conjure up.

If there are so many people who do not want a disturbance at the inauguration, I'd prefer a mix of folks making sure the protesters behave. Perhaps men wearing slacks and a shirt with a collar along side bikers, who are next to women in their hospital scrubs, and construction workers, and teachers, and call center support individuals, and strippers (would definitely like to see some strippers...why not?), etc. Why just bikers? That is somewhat primal.

15 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

You would. That's why you're in the situation you're in. Working multiple, low paying jobs having to scramble for gas and beer money weekly. Life is easier with a college diploma. It's been proven time and time again. 

My friend's son just graduated college, got a job on Wall Street and is now living in an apt in NYC. How are you in better shape then him without a BS degree. Moronic. 

Well you dont have thousands upon thousands in debt. I work one job. I dont scramble at all for gas nor beer. How does he like those high rents in NYC? 

And you do know I have a BS right?

How many hours a week does he have to work?

9 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I did not know you had a BS. That's even sadder. 

Why then are you going to paralegal school? Or why did you attend HVAC school a while back? What's your BS in? With it, you should not be still living at home, you should not be parking cars at Army football games, you should not be driving nine hours back and forth to Hobart because you can't afford a hotel room for one night, etc. 

We all control our own destinies. You've put yourself in these situations. The kid from Brick in the article will find this out soon enough. Without a degree, significant, life-changing opportunities will be less available unless he takes up a trade or joins the military.

I am attending school for paralegal so that i am more concentrated and dont have only such a broad degree. 

I attended HVAC school because its actually a really good field that has thousands of jobs but it wasnt for me. 

My BS is in Criminal Justice. 

I like doing that parking lots at Army football games. Its easy money and i do basically nothing

I could have afforded a night in a hotel at Hobart but decided that i didnt have to spend 180 bucks to stay there. So i kept it as cheap as possible. So drove up watched the game and drove back.

I hope the kid from Brick makes a ton of money with his business just to show that you dont need that piece of paper if you can tap into something that is needed. 

I really dont mind the situation im in. I work 2 min from home. 40 hours a week. OT only when i want. I never have to stay. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

What's your BS in? With it, you should not be still living at home...

I went to school with a girl who graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in biochemistry. After school, she moved back to her mom's house and rode the train to the lab at which she worked, where she made $12 an hour, which doesn't go too far in Los Angeles, which helps to explain why she rode the train to work. But that was the only job she was able to land. She did that for years, before she went back to school. But maybe she didn't read the right Tony Robbins books. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I love that you have a plan. Best of luck. We're all rooting for you. Cu tonight at DBP/BC hockey game. 

Yes you will....DBP should win. BC has been playing better as of late after a 0-4 start. Final score 3-1 DBP. Should be a heck of an atmosphere at the ice vault. Get there early

26 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I am attending school for paralegal so that i am more concentrated and dont have only such a broad degree. 

I attended HVAC school because its actually a really good field that has thousands of jobs but it wasnt for me. 

My BS is in Criminal Justice. 

I like doing that parking lots at Army football games. Its easy money and i do basically nothing

I could have afforded a night in a hotel at Hobart but decided that i didnt have to spend 180 bucks to stay there. So i kept it as cheap as possible. So drove up watched the game and drove back.

I hope the kid from Brick makes a ton of money with his business just to show that you dont need that piece of paper if you can tap into something that is needed. 

I really dont mind the situation im in. I work 2 min from home. 40 hours a week. OT only when i want. I never have to stay. 

Keep grinding away, and stay positive and grateful along the way. In the meantime, I'll put in a good word for you with the Big Man upstairs. And something good will happen. 

• Like 1