First black Marine

rockinl

First black Marine Jim Rundles passes away at the age of 94 on March 13, 2014. Jim Rundles came into the Marine Corps at a time that all branches were segregated. He helped bring about the modern thought by Marines, that all Marines are just a shade of green. This man survived Montford Point and World War II.

RIP and Semper Fi brother.

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing

• Thanks 3
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

Semantics....He's a soldier who fought,made his way through the ranks..RIP.   Case closed.

It's not semantics, it's proper military nomenclature. (To make one of the terms universal is lazy and disrespectful) Those in the Navy are Sailors, Marine Corps are Marines, Army are Soldiers and Air Force are Airmen.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, rockinl said:

First black Marine Jim Rundles passes away at the age of 94 on March 13, 2014. Jim Rundles came into the Marine Corps at a time that all branches were segregated. He helped bring about the modern thought by Marines, that all Marines are just a shade of green. This man survived Montford Point and World War II.

Looking regal in that uniform. I salute you Sir!

RIP

14 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

It's not semantics, it's proper military nomenclature. (To make one of the terms universal is lazy and disrespectful) Those in the Navy are Sailors, Marine Corps are Marines, Army are Soldiers and Air Force are Airmen.

Thanks for that info, never occurred to me, except not to say sir to my good friend and retired special forces. Sergeant Major is what I called him.

6 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Thanks for that info, never occurred to me, except not to say sir to my good friend and retired special forces. Sergeant Major is what I called him.

Yep, you don't lose your rank title once you've retired, many that knew me on active duty still call me by my rank and name.

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

Yep, you don't lose your rank title once you've retired, many that knew me on active duty still call me by my rank and name.

I did NOT know that either, it just seemed respectful to me.

Nicest dude ever, but in his career when there was wet work, he was there. That didn't come from him. That came from a mutual friend that introduced me twenty years ago.

:)

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I did NOT know that either, it just seemed respectful to me.

Nicest dude ever, but in his career when there was wet work, he was there. That didn't come from him. That came from a mutual friend that introduced me twenty years ago.

:)

Yes, a person's official title once retired is rank, name,  service component and (retired) abbreviated.  As an example:  CMSgt James Smith, USAF (ret).   This is mainly used in addressing letters or memos.  If I was formally introducing them in a military setting I would present them as such.

my friends though just call me by my name.   If a person didn't work with me in my official capacity, I don't expect them to address me any other way than by my God given name.

i know this is more than you asked, but it's just FYI.

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

Yes, a person's official title once retired is rank, name,  service component and (retired) abbreviated.  As an example:  CMSgt James Smith, USAF (ret).   This is mainly used in addressing letters or memos.  If I was formally introducing them in a military setting I would present them as such.

my friends though just call me by my name.   If a person didn't work with me in my official capacity, I don't expect them to address me any other way than by my God given name.

i know this is more than you asked, but it's just FYI.

Thanks, still cool to know... I appreciate your service. See I don't your rank, so I stopped short of saying Sir. lol

7 hours ago, rockinl said:

RIP Montford Point Marine.  Because of his Intestinal Fortitude I am a brother among a Corps of MARINES.  

Thanks for posting this Warrior.  SgtMaj Hashmark Johnson gets so much credit and rightfully so that you forget about this Marine.  The Big Gunny in the Sky gave him 94 years to say SEMPER FI:   

OORAH 

• Like 3

Rocking L   How the heck did he get those 3 rockers down with only 3 service Stripes.   Remember back in the Early 40's there were only 6 enlisted grades.  I wonder if that had something to do with it.   That picture not clear but that is either 1stSgt or MSgt Chevron's.   Man 94 years.  I can't wait to get my USMC Retire Newsletter he will be in the TAP's Section. 

• Like 1

Just go to 3:15 - 3:30 and it explains what it is all About to be A UNITED STATES MARINE. 4 min Mark some motivating ass cadences.  Semper FI.   

Thanks Rockin L I know all Marines know about this.  I just posted this for anyone interested in who he was and what trailblazer's they were.   Tough dudes and a lot of them did 20+ years or more.  

23 hours ago, Horsefly said:

You have to know who you are dealing with. The difference means nothing to him. I am pretty sure he did not serve.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2018 at 9:39 PM, DevilDog said:

Rocking L   How the heck did he get those 3 rockers down with only 3 service Stripes.   Remember back in the Early 40's there were only 6 enlisted grades.  I wonder if that had something to do with it.   That picture not clear but that is either 1stSgt or MSgt Chevron's.   Man 94 years.  I can't wait to get my USMC Retire Newsletter he will be in the TAP's Section. 

I was wondering about the service stripes as well? 

15 hours ago, thc6795 said:

I was wondering about the service stripes as well? 

Yes sir that is pretty amazing.  Even more so he died in 2014 and For some reason Rockin L thought of him at this time.  Semper Fi. 

Seems to have had strong social convictions and wrote about them.

Many will remember “Jim” Rundles for his “Up and Down Farish Street”, which was published in the Jackson Advocate for sixty-seven years.  A strong civil rights advocate, he used his influence as a journalist to “write” the wrongs.