Scary stat

HSFBfan

19 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

41% of American do not know what Auschwitz is!!

Does anyone else find this number scary? Do they teach anything anymore?

Something more scary. In 2011, a random sample of US citizens were asked to take the citizenship test given to all immigrants that apply for citizenship. 63% of the current citizens did not know the number of Justices on the US Supreme Court. It is bad enough to not know what Auschwitz is. It is far worse to not know basic US Civics and Government!

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Something more scary. In 2011, a random sample of US citizens were asked to take the citizenship test given to all immigrants that apply for citizenship. 63% of the current citizens did not know the number of Justices on the US Supreme Court. It is bad enough to not know what Auschwitz is. It is far worse to not know basic US Civics and Government!

They dont teach anything anymore. Yes thats very scary. 

20 minutes ago, TheBlockIsHot said:

I am willing to bet most of these people are in the South and still think they won the war!

This has nothing to do with that... 

You are an absolute dumbass. This has nothing to do with East,west,South or North this is a general American thing. 

But some how your dumb ass is able to make it about where You're from... 

Get a fucking grip... 

At this point it's not even trolling it's just stupid as fuck... 

5 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

This has nothing to do with that... 

You are an absolute dumbass. This has nothing to do with East,west,South or North this is a general American thing. 

But some how your dumb ass is able to make it about where You're from... 

Get a fucking grip... 

At this point it's not even trolling it's just stupid as fuck... 

Amen brother.  It is stupid doing the 'your state sucks' routine.  Mindless. 

4 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

I wonder how many Americans know what WWII Nazi concentration/work/death camps were? I bet more than 41%.

Knowing them by name is not as important as knowing what they were. How many know of Badenwald or Dachau or Treblinka?

I read the book Treblinka years ago.  One of the most sad and depressing books and yet at the same time it was one of the most powerful books on the strength and spirit of humanity.  

I agree with your point though.  More important to know it happened than the names of the towns where it happened.  

1 minute ago, World Citizen said:

I read the book Treblinka years ago.  One of the most sad and depressing books and yet at the same time it was one of the most powerful books on the strength and spirit of humanity.  

I agree with your point though.  More important to know it happened than the names of the towns where it happened.  

Not much left of Treblinka as the Nazi blew it up to cover their crimes

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

You dont forget Auschwitz ever. Its something that should be taught in school every year. It was only 80 years ago. Not that long ago. 

Not to worry...even 9/11 will go that very same route of oblivion....

Pearl harbor and WWII ...only got a couple left now ....

Time will march on regardless....

And the lesson of Auschwitz is not one of being a Jew (or even nazi)....It is the destruction and results caused, when such tactics are employed...That should be learned...

1 minute ago, dbcaptiron said:

Not to worry...even 9/11 will go that very same route of oblivion....

Pearl harbor and WWII ...only got a couple left now ....

Time will march on regardless....

And the lesson of Auschwitz is not one of being a Jew (or even nazi)....It is the destruction and results caused, when such tactics are employed...That should be learned...

Cant let that ever happen . You can not let significant events in our history ever go

42 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

I wonder how many Americans know what WWII Nazi concentration/work/death camps were? I bet more than 41%.

Knowing them by name is not as important as knowing what they were. How many know of Dachau or Badenhofbrau or Treblinka?

Thank goodness no one said they knew of Badenhofbrau, because I made that one up. Trying to make a point. And enjoyed throwing in 'hofbrau'.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

You dont forget Auschwitz ever. Its something that should be taught in school every year. It was only 80 years ago. Not that long ago. 

I am sure it is but it's not talked about at kitchen tables any longer, documentaries are less frequent, the people that lived it are mostly gone

it's just what happens

it will always be a part of history but let me ask you, do you know of any of the genocides in history but this one?

Should I be outraged you don't? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Knowing them by name is not as important as knowing what they were. How many know of Dachau or Badenhofbrau or Treblinka?

How many know that Japanese-Americans were put in camps?

• Like 1