An Important Personal Anniversary

DarterBlue

Today, June 20, 2018, marks 36 years since I first took up residence in the USA. I disembarked at JFK at 7:25 pm on a bright, sunny, summery evening. I was a young man, two years removed from undergrad school and one and a half years married. My decision to come to the USA to live as a permanent resident was driven primarily by my wife's desire to be near her family and relatives  who mostly lived in New York.

To be honest, I had no idea at that time whether I would stay or return to Jamaica. My primary objective was to go to graduate school which I could have accomplished without taking up residency status. For I had offers from a northeastern, two mid-western and a southern university, which, between scholarship money and graduate assistantships, would have covered tuition and basic living expenses. I also had a Commonwealth Scholarship offer from a prestigious university in the United Kingdom. 

It was not until I had lived in the USA for a little over 10 years, that I decided it was to be my new home permanently. The decision was driven both by the fact that my children were born here, my wife seemed happy here, and that, with the passage of time, I had become comfortable with my adopted country. 

Today, I see myself at a crossroads. For my children are grown and one lives halfway across the world. As my wife approaches retirement, she is four years off, the question begs itself, do we stay or do we go? This is not something I thought I would be asking at this juncture.  However, the current attitude toward immigrants is not a welcoming one. Therefore, it behooves one to not only ask the question, but also explore possible alternatives. 

There is much to consider and do over the next four years ... to be continued ... 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

As my wife approaches retirement, she is four years off, the question begs itself, do we stay or do we go? This is not something I thought I would be asking at this juncture.  However, the current attitude toward immigrants is not a welcoming one. Therefore, it behooves one to not only ask the question, but also explore possible alternatives. 

It's a tough situation for everyone, man.  

My wife (who is tough as nails, she's a head nurse) broke down the other night at what's happening in this country. Very little I could do. The more she cried the madder I got though. Just a very sick feeling, you know. Told her tears and anger mean nothing in this nation. We are the wrong people crying and getting angry and we were born here.

I don't know.

11 minutes ago, RedZone said:

My wife (who is tough as nails, she's a head nurse) broke down the other night at what's happening in this country. Very little I could do. The more she cried the madder I got though. Just a very sick feeling, you know. Told her tears and anger mean nothing in this nation. We are the wrong people crying and getting angry and we were born here.

I don't know.

America is a great country. But I don't know, as you say. It's not just DJT, but it's the fact that so many don't see him for what he is, or if they do, they don't care. And the problem I have with that is, if you can't figure out for yourself that an individual lacks basic decency, basic morality, basic humanity, then something is deeply wrong with you. I would like to think that even if a leader fulfilled all my policy and ideological objectives, if he/she was just a horrible human being, that I could not support such an individual.

It is depressing that there are so many individual willing to ignore this ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

Today, June 20, 2018, marks 36 years since I first took up residence in the USA. I disembarked at JFK at 7:25 pm on a bright, sunny, summery evening. I was a young man, two years removed from undergrad school and one and a half years married. My decision to come to the USA to live as a permanent resident was driven primarily by my wife's desire to be near her family and relatives  who mostly lived in New York.

To be honest, I had no idea at that time whether I would stay or return to Jamaica. My primary objective was to go to graduate school which I could have accomplished without taking up residency status. For I had offers from a northeastern, two mid-western and a southern university, which, between scholarship money and graduate assistantships, would have covered tuition and basic living expenses. I also had a Commonwealth Scholarship offer from a prestigious university in the United Kingdom. 

It was not until I had lived in the USA for a little over 10 years, that I decided it was to be my new home permanently. The decision was driven both by the fact that my children were born here, my wife seemed happy here, and that, with the passage of time, I had become comfortable with my adopted country. 

Today, I see myself at a crossroads. For my children are grown and one lives halfway across the world. As my wife approaches retirement, she is four years off, the question begs itself, do we stay or do we go? This is not something I thought I would be asking at this juncture.  However, the current attitude toward immigrants is not a welcoming one. Therefore, it behooves one to not only ask the question, but also explore possible alternatives. 

There is much to consider and do over the next four years ... to be continued ... 

36 years amazing you arrived one day after the Juneteenth celebration.  I am sure a person of your consciousness and educational background should in fact remain here and continue to contribute to this adopted country of yours.  Many persons like yourself that are friends are mine are the most educated people here.  Same type of situations they are Doctors, Lawyers, educators and business people.  As a matter of fact I had dinner with an Indian family last night and the Lady Sunapar was telling me a story how her Mom back in India calls her at work and says since you have checked in now call me let's talk.  You never call your Mom.  I was laughing and saying Mom's are the same the world over.  Andrew Bourdain once said this:... "Walk in someone else's shoes or at least eat their food. It's a plus for everybody.”   I don't know what Road you will take sir but I would hope the one that leads other (immigrants) toward you.    The best antidote for hate is knowledge.  From what I can gather here from you there are plenty of this in your Brain Housing Group. 

I and I.  Lickle More.  Me keep rockin em Dreads:D

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

It is depressing that there are so many individual willing to ignore this ...

These people are being taught to hate by fox news and every wing nut website on the internet.Must be a million of them or more.

We can't do anything about that, but we can ignore the shit out of them on this off topic forum.

#pitifulhumanbeings

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

I don't know.

Its the same all over the country.  This is a sick nation with very sick individuals in it and they are fucking burning it down bc of spite.  

Not very proud of this country.  In fact it's shamefull and embarrassing.  But at least unemployment is ....who cares.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Happy Anniversary, Darter. Always appreciate your valid, differing views. Here's to 36 more years! 

To Caj and wifey....

IMG_0225.JPG

Now was that the solution for you and others who didn’t like Obama or did you think it was your right to vote him out?  Geez GSB, I wonder about you sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1