Steel plant reopening in South Carolina

HSFBfan

4 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Not likely to be union.  SC is a right to work state.  Very few union jobs here (? Mack truck plant).  BMW is not union.  Boeing is not.

Best way of going. Right to work states. Majority of states are right to work states. Hopefully soon they are all

30 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Great news. 5 billion coming 125 workers at launch up to 300 will be working there in the future. And the company doesnt have to pay the 25 percent tariff because they are producing steel here 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/south-carolina-steel-plant-reopened-by-uk-industrialist-avoiding-tariffs

Quite dishonest to associate this reopening as a response to the recent tarrifs when this opening was announced 6 months ago.  

http://abcnews4.com/news/local/georgetown-steel-mill-reopening-in-spring-2018-sale-to-new-owners-finalized

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

You realize that this takes away your rights? I assume you work and are not an employer? SMH!

Of course I work. I've always worked under the premise that I can be fired at any time. It really doesnt bother me. I don't need union protections. I dont them diving into my paychecks and taking my money to do whatever they wanna do with it. Majority of states are right to work states and I have a feeling more are coming. 

7 minutes ago, concha said:

Did anyone notice this in the article?

Trump tariffs drive $500M investment in a new Ohio steel plant

JSW Steel USA CEO John Hritz says the company is investing $500M to build a steel plant in Ohio instead of India during a First on FOX Business interview with Edward Lawrence.

Awful, huh?

Please continue to soil yourselves.

🤣

LMFAO. Steel is an old lost industry. 

Unions are dead. these won't be high paying jobs and will do nothing to create wage growth. 

Keep trying poverty king. 

Soil yourself. 

Fox Business lollll

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Of course I work. I've always worked under the premise that I can be fired at any time. It really doesnt bother me. I don't need union protections. I dont them diving into my paychecks and taking my money to do whatever they wanna do with it. Majority of states are right to work states and I have a feeling more are coming. 

You should read the History of the USA and of Great Britain. See what life was like in both before the advent of unions. If you want to be a literal wage slave, good for you. Enjoy the rest of your life in misery!

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

You should read the History of the USA and of Great Britain. See what life was like in both before the advent of unions. If you want to be a literal wage slave, good for you. Enjoy the rest of your life in misery!

Well isn’t that the point; they were historically necessary, but no longer needed in the vast majority of industries?

If I was working in a textile factory in Manchester in 1880 I’d be in a union, too.  Now we have OSHA and workplace safety laws; every employer has to have workers compensation insurance; we have wage and hour laws, anti-discrimination laws, family and medical leave protections; minimum wage laws, etc.  

Facing cheap foreign competition couldn’t you argue that unions make the very American-based employers they rely on for their existence inherently unprofitable (or less profitable) at this point?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

LMFAO. Steel is an old lost industry. 

Unions are dead. these won't be high paying jobs and will do nothing to create wage growth. 

Keep trying poverty king. 

Soil yourself. 

Fox Business lollll

Since you have  such an fantastical knowledge base, enlighten us on what needs to be done.

I have an idea, but I want to see what your solution is.

If not steel, what?

Regards

AKA

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

I know the history. And at that time they were necessary. Now we have all the protections. Like drummer said osha minimum wage etc has all been set up. We dont have kids in factories anymore or any of the other issues from 100-150 years ago. 

25 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Since you such an fantastical knowledge base, enlighten us on what needs to be done.

I have an idea, but I want to see what your solution is.

If not steel, what?

Regards

AKA

All he has in life is to spend 18 hours a day trolling on a message board.

One of the saddest clowns you'll ever come across.

🤡

12 minutes ago, concha said:

All he has in life is to spend 18 hours a day trolling on a message board.

One of the saddest clowns you'll ever come across.

🤡

I enjoy this forum as much as the next poster, but 18 hours of redundancy is pointless. “You suck, poor state, wing nut, Folsom by 10” is a sad signature.

Regards

BGW

Just now, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I enjoy this forum as much as the next poster, but 18 hours of redundancy is pointless. “You suck, poor state, wing nut, Folsom by 10” is a sad signature.

Regards

BGW

I'm convinced he's got a condition (mental, physical or both) that keep him indoors and glued to his computer.

Otherwise, he's just the saddest thing on this site.

2 minutes ago, concha said:

I'm convinced he's got a condition (mental, physical or both) that keep him indoors and glued to his computer.

Otherwise, he's just the saddest thing on this site.

He’d probably leave California if he could, but he needs the benefits.

1 hour ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Well isn’t that the point; they were historically necessary, but no longer needed in the vast majority of industries?

If I was working in a textile factory in Manchester in 1880 I’d be in a union, too.  Now we have OSHA and workplace safety laws; every employer has to have workers compensation insurance; we have wage and hour laws, anti-discrimination laws, family and medical leave protections; minimum wage laws, etc.  

Facing cheap foreign competition couldn’t you argue that unions make the very American-based employers they rely on for their existence inherently unprofitable (or less profitable) at this point?

The point is, that as  worker rights get slowly stripped away, that as unions become a thing of the past, we will revert to how things were. In life my friend there are no good institutions or bad per se, it is about the balance of power, for a Lord Acton said with regards political leaders, "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." It does not matter whether it is worker or employer, when all the power vests in one group, it behaves badly. But history is not studied or respected in the USA as it is in the old world, thus it will not surprise me if this country sinks into despotism. 

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

I know the history. And at that time they were necessary. Now we have all the protections. Like drummer said osha minimum wage etc has all been set up. We dont have kids in factories anymore or any of the other issues from 100-150 years ago. 

We will probably have them again in the future. But I will be dead as I am old. Good luck dealing with it! Sucker!!

• Haha 1

Just now, DarterBlue said:

We will probably have them again in the future. But I will be dead as I am old. Good luck dealing with it! Sucker!!

Have what exactly? Businesses will never have the opportunity to do what they did 100+ years ago. You'll never see 12 year olds working. Or anything else they discussed in books like the jungle. We will be just fine. Like I said majority of America is right to work states. 

12 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Have what exactly? Businesses will never have the opportunity to do what they did 100+ years ago. You'll never see 12 year olds working. Or anything else they discussed in books like the jungle. We will be just fine. Like I said majority of America is right to work states. 

Have a good life, my friend. That's all I gotta say. I am done.

Follow the plan regarding MPX. Perhaps it will bail you out, make you a member of the employer class, but if it does not, if you can't get independently wealthy, you will live to regret your beliefs. 

59 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Have a good life, my friend. That's all I gotta say. I am done.

Follow the plan regarding MPX. Perhaps it will bail you out, make you a member of the employer class, but if it does not, if you can't get independently wealthy, you will live to regret your beliefs. 

Whoever said I want to be part of the employer class. My whole family are working stiffs and are very proud. Matter of fact most of my family are union members. I'll always be a working stiff til the day I'm dead and there is absolutely nothing wrong with just being a worker.