Jeff Fisher Q&A

PrepGridiron

We'd like to welcome Jeff Fisher to Prepgridiron.com.

Jeff Fisher is an expert in the field of high school sports. Jeff is co-founder and editor-in-chief of High School Football America, which is a media partner with USA TODAY High School Sports. Fisher began High School Football America after writing 52 different blogs on high school football. In addition, he is the host and producer of two radio shows: High School Football America and the National High School Coaches Association (“NHSCA”) Sports Hour. The two shows average over 150,000 downloads per show on the ArtistFirst Radio Network.  Fisher is also the Communications Director for the NHSCA. He is also the writer of the forthcoming High School Football in Texas, available online and elsewhere on September 4, 2018. If you'd like to learn more about Jeff Fisher you can view his bio here: http://highschoolfootballamerica.com/meet-jeff-fisher/

In collaboration with PrepGridiron Logistics, Jeff has been kind enough to give us some of his time and answer several questions posed by the members of this board. As we have done in the past, we will be asking Jeff the questions and he will be responding in the thread. We will be asking Jeff five questions and expect to open up the floor to members. Feel free to respond and ask questions, note, however, that it will be at Jeff’s discretion whether he responds further. Lastly, we ask that you keep your responses civil and on topic. The thread will be heavily moderated so that we can encourage other coaches and experts to come on in the future. Thanks again, Jeff, and everyone enjoy. 

We will start in about 10 min. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure how others ranking systems work or what they use. I'm not a math guy, but I do know this game well after 40 years. The bottom line, without upsetting people, is that some states are better than others and our algorithm recognizes that.

Just now, Columbiafan said:

I'm  curious what data goes into a algorithm for the preseason rankings? 

With a joke at the top...I'd have to kill you if I told you everything...LOL. But, as you can imagine, strength of schedule is right at the top. Point differential against that strength is big. And, as we mentioned before, being in a traditional state helps. In all, there are 15 items in the algorithm.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HSFBA said:

I'm not sure how others ranking systems work or what they use. I'm not a math guy, but I do know this game well after 40 years. The bottom line, without upsetting people, is that some states are better than others and our algorithm recognizes that.

C'mon maan! This place is all about upsetting people! xD

1 minute ago, HSFBA said:

Heading into the season TX, GA, FL and CA are very, very close in overall strength

Just quoted for posterity and future reference. 

:D

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I'm  curious what data goes into a algorithm for the preseason rankings? 

I guess I misread your question...preseason is a scaled down version of the algorithm...SOS, returners, tradition and state to name a few...sorry

• Like 1