Jeff Fisher Q&A

PrepGridiron

7 minutes ago, HSFBA said:

With a joke at the top...I'd have to kill you if I told you everything...LOL. But, as you can imagine, strength of schedule is right at the top. Point differential against that strength is big. And, as we mentioned before, being in a traditional state helps. In all, there are 15 items in the algorithm.

6 minutes ago, HSFBA said:

I guess I misread your question...preseason is a scaled down version of the algorithm...SOS, returners, tradition and state to name a few...sorry

Thanks for being here with us.

If I'm understanding you, SOS plays a big part at the front end and as the season goes on. 

But how do you determine SOS in week 0? I take it that it's in large part by returners, tradition, and state. 

I don't want you to have to kill me -- so tell me to get lost before it comes to that -- but I'd like to ask you what other factors determine SOS in week 0.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HSFBA said:

Playoff boost is HUGE...are you examining my computer and seeing the algorithm? LOL

Lol. No it’s a birth defect I have.  :)   I like to analyze stuff.  

We tend to evaluate algorithms as intensely as other polls here.  We have had multiple threads about Freeman’s ratings.  

• Like 2

Just now, HSFBA said:

It heard, I heard. The fact of the matter is they are at No. 127. Nothing specific other than those SoFL teams beat up on each other during any given year. They hung in the 68 to 100 range most of last year. 

So as long as they win they will have no trouble jumping into rankings within a few weeks 

Just now, Belly Bob said:

Thanks for being here with us.

If I'm understanding you, SOS plays a big part at the front end and as the season goes on. 

But how do you determine SOS in week 0? I take it that it's in large part by returners, tradition, and state. 

I don't want you to have to kill me -- so tell me to get lost before it comes to that -- but I'd like to ask you what other factors determine SOS in week 0.

ha ha...the tradition factor comes into play for the SOS in Week 0. It's an educated algorithm guess. The truth is...and I almost did it last year...I don't like doing the PS. However, I might get killed if I wait until after Labor Day. I did that in 2013 and 2014 and people went NUTS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

So as long as they win they will have no trouble jumping into rankings within a few weeks 

Win and you're in....again, it's designed to work in-season. I do PRE for fans and to keep my ego in check when people yell at me...LOL

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HSFBA said:

I never pick on others...but when the Carol City fans got on me...I noticed that Freeman had them 313ish...LOL

Oh i was referring to this recent thread about the freeman rankings but if my memory serves me correctly it looked like they just took last year final rankings and posted it

The FL rankings looked almost identical to the ones in January last year 

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

What do you know about DePaul that we in NJ don't? #13, really? Plus, they play NO OOS foes. Thx. 

Well, it's the algorithm and not me. But, I think they played SJR pretty tough and I respect Coach Augie. The on-the-field will tell. NJ is a VERY strong state. Don't think I'll get argument on that haha

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1