NorCal report

Cal 14

6 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Like what was said earlier in some other thread, CC of Modesto could end up being one of Norcal's best this season ( Not including Central section ). They are a long way off  from  Dela and Folsom, but everyone else up here better watch out for them.

You think they could end up #3 in NorCal?

They're a legit threat in SJS D-II.  If they win that, with only the one loss to DLS, I can see them going as high as D-1A for the NorCal regionals.

1 hour ago, PrepGridiron said:

Any thoughts on tonight's Pitt/Liberty game?

Is it being streamed anywhere?  I'm putting my money on Liberty.  They are the more complete team, but Pitt does have the athletes.  Great game either way.  If I can convince (bribe) bae to go, then I'm there for that one.  Bit of a drive but looking like a great game to be at.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PrepGridiron said:

Any thoughts on tonight's Pitt/Liberty game?

I have Liberty winning.

With all of the talk about how much talent Pitt had coming into the season, I wondered how they lost to Narbonne and Clayton Valley Charter.

Then, I saw them play against Centennial and it all made sense.

The issue is coaching, not talent, in my opinion.  The talent disparity between the Pirates and the Huskies wasn't very big at all, yet it was clear that Centennial just understood the subtleties of the game better.  Their DBs looked back when the ball was in the air.  They made adjustments based on reads of the defense.  Pitt largely did neither.

When the linebackers surged towards the line, indicating a blitz, Pitt would often just stay with the read-option.  No adjustment whatsoever.  The QB would pause, knowing it would be a problem, but he never really looked at the coaches for adjustments and the coaches never really seemed to be barking any audibles.

The Pitt DBs actually did cover really well, but when the balls were in the air during man coverage (I think they did have two picks while playing zone), Centennial often completed passes right over their shoulders.

After the one good drive for the Pirates that resulted in a score, the Huskies clearly adjusted.  Pitt never counter-adjusted.  Their pass plays were either quick outs, slants, or a non-read deep ball (as in, it was called in the huddle to take the snap and launch it up... which was almost never close to being completed).  Once Centennial saw that and adjusted, it was lights out.

It all made sense after that.

If the Liberty staff is really good, they'll see it, too.  I have the Lions winning 31-24.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CaliNorth said:

They have to play Del Oro in  D-11,   don't they ?  That game will say a lot.

Yes, winning that game (and possibly having to beat Inderkum along the way) would launch them into my NorCal top 10.  Actually winning a state title could put them in the top 5.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Like what was said earlier in some other thread, CC of Modesto could end up being one of Norcal's best this season ( Not including Central section ). They are a long way off  from  Dela and Folsom, but everyone else up here better watch out for them.

Agree. Good coaching and a strong group of kids for them this year. I think their “new “  qb is the big difference this year but I may be a bit bias for him. 😁 They’ve always been a running team but have a legit passer now. He just signed LOI with Santa Clara for baseball. Had many D1 looks for QB also. Lot can change from now til end of next year though.