Georgia Bulldogs lose 5-star RB commitment John Emery Jr.

RedZone

I've been sitting on this a couple weeks, but John Emery Jr, (Destrehan, La) the nation's #2 rated RB is expected to flip to LSU very soon. Officially decommits.

https://247sports.com/Player/John-Emery-Jr-46038480/

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Article/John-Emery-Jr-de-commits-from-Georgia-Bulldogs-UGA-loses-5-star-RB-123786995/

For the third time this cycle, Georgia is at 16 verbal commitments for the 2019 class. Five-star running back John Emery Jr. (Destrehan, La./Destrehan) announced on Thursday that he has elected to reopen his recruitment, becoming the fourth player to remove his name from the Bulldogs' pledge class this month, along with five-star wide receiver Jadon Haselwood (Ellenwood, Ga./Cedar Grove), four-star cornerback Jalen Perry (Dacula, Ga./Dacula), and four-star linebacker JD Bertrand (Roswell, Ga./Blessed Trinity).

"This is one of the toughest decisions I have made in my life so far," Emery said, via his personal Twitter account. "I know it will only get tougher. My next move can determine a lot with my future during and after football. I want to first give thanks to the Bulldog coaching staff. Coach Smart and Coach McGee, thank you for recruiting me and giving me tips after some of my games, and getting to know me and my family on a personal level. This recruiting process has taught me patience; even though something seems right, and in fact it may be right, it's always better to be careful and time is a subset of being careful. With that being said, I am here to announce that at this time I am de-committing from the GA Bulldogs. God Bless."

Emery is the sixth recruit to de-commit from Georgia for this cycle, joining Bertrand, Haselwood, Perry, four-star defensive tackle Rashad Cheney (Ellenwood, Ga./Cedar Grove), and three-star offensive tackle Luke Griffin (Chatsworth, Ga./North Murray). The loss of Emery puts Georgia at 16 commitments for the cycle and drops the Bulldogs from third to fifth in the 247Sports Team Class Rankings. Considered the nation's No. 22 overall prospect, No. 2 running back, and No. 3 recruit in Louisiana by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, Emery, who holds offers from 15 other programs, originally committed to Georgia on July 29, 2018. Other programs, like LSU, have since continued to show interest in the 5-foot-11, 206-pound tailback.

Destrehan is currently #4 in 5A and still a major threat to reach the Superdome..

Class 5A

School 1st rec pts prev

1. John Curtis (9) 8-0 119 1
  2. West Monroe (1) 8-0 111 2
  3. Catholic-BR 7-1 93 4
  4. Destrehan 7-1 84 5
  5. Zachary 6-2 72 6
  6. Acadiana 7-1 61 7
  7. East Ascension 7-1 56 3
  8. John Ehret 7-1 52 8
  9. Terrebonne 8-0 47 9
  10. Evangel Christian 5-3 34 10

Others receiving votes: Haughton 19, Captain Shreve 7, Walker 7, Rummel 6, Ruston 5, Alexandria 3, Byrd 2, Slidell 2.

I've been hearing there is A LOT of smoke in the locker room in GA.   Kids want Fields, and a lot of kids saying Fields hasn't been given a real shot.   Race was even brought up.    Seriously some shit going on behind those scenes.   I'm telling you they will split possessions, and whoever is playing better will play the rest.   If they call mostly running plays for Fields it will be a shit storm.   Talk about an UGLY bye week for UGA.    Now, it could be a blessing in disguise, maybe Fields comes in and is the guy like people expected him to as a recruit, but this forced hand might hurt the dogs this saturday.  

This Fields/Fromm issue is more serious than I think we all thought, in the locker room and in the recruiting front.   GA fans in the know...spill it if you know.  @ECHS05  You hearing any of this??

Meanwhile UF insiders...

....The Mindset of this team has completely changed ten-fold since that UK loss.  The new standard Mullen & Staff have created is incredible and this team has risen up to meet most of the challenges that have presented themselves.   The past two weeks has been probably the best physical and mental approach we have had to a game in the past 7-8 years.  The kids are ready and the coaches have done all they can in practice and film study.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 954gator said:

I've been hearing there is A LOT of smoke in the locker room in GA.   Kids want Fields, and a lot of kids saying Fields hasn't been given a real shot.   Race was even brought up.    Seriously some shit going on behind those scenes.   I'm telling you they will split possessions, and whoever is playing better will play the rest.   If they call mostly running plays for Fields it will be a shit storm.   Talk about an UGLY bye week for UGA.    Now, it could be a blessing in disguise, maybe Fields comes in and is the guy like people expected him to as a recruit, but this forced hand might hurt the dogs this saturday.  

This Fields/Fromm issue is more serious than I think we all thought, in the locker room and in the recruiting front.   GA fans in the know...spill it if you know.  @ECHS05  You hearing any of this??

Ive heard from some this is an issue, and some its not. Im not sure what to make of it yet.

Youd think Smart would shut that shit down quick. Smart runs this program... And kids are not going to tell him how to run it or they will be shown the door.

Word is Emery was more worried about the amount of RBs we have on the roster and the # we have coming back.

I personally think the Fromm/Fields thing is being blown up by the media and disgruntled fans after losing to LSU 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Ive heard from some this is an issue, and some its not. Im not sure what to make of it yet.

Youd think Smart would shut that shit down quick. Smart runs this program... And kids are not going to tell him how to run it or they will be shown the door.

Word is Emery was more worried about the amount of RBs we have on the roster and the # we have coming back.

I personally think the Fromm/Fields thing is being blown up by the media and disgruntled fans after losing to LSU 2 weeks ago.

I don't know man.   There's a lot of smoke.    Even rumors Fields was going to leave, but apparently they managed that situation.   I know Haselwood mentioned Fields in his de commitment.   So recruits want Fields for sure, but there's definitely some shit going on.    

I'm telling you they are going to split full drives and then one will play out the rest....and unless Fromm is noticeably better, it's gonna be Fields.  I think Smart's hand is going to be forced, one to help the recruiting issue, and two to thwart the rumors of big time donors wanting a "classic" QB behind center.  Ya'll better hope Fields is ready!    That or you find a new hot shot to replace him for year 2 lol.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 954gator said:

Georgia losing 6 recruits means something is UP.

Emery Jr will be a star wherever. Bank it!

5 hours ago, 954gator said:

I don't know man.   There's a lot of smoke.    Even rumors Fields was going to leave, but apparently they managed that situation.   I know Haselwood mentioned Fields in his de commitment.   So recruits want Fields for sure, but there's definitely some shit going on.    

I'm telling you they are going to split full drives and then one will play out the rest....and unless Fromm is noticeably better, it's gonna be Fields.  I think Smart's hand is going to be forced, one to help the recruiting issue, and two to thwart the rumors of big time donors wanting a "classic" QB behind center.  Ya'll better hope Fields is ready!    That or you find a new hot shot to replace him for year 2 lol.   

not that they need him or any baggage he may have associated with him (including fans/family who think he's Heisman material already)  but he has some weird ties to PSU somehow.  is it possible he leaves and ends up there???  just wondering. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

not that they need him or any baggage he may have associated with him (including fans/family who think he's Heisman material already)  but he has some weird ties to PSU somehow.  is it possible he leaves and ends up there???  just wondering. 

Nah I don't think he's leaving, but I guess it all depends on how Saturday plays out.   I think Kirby will go overboard in ensuring that he feels he's given a fair shot.   Which is why I think he is going to play significant minutes.  Now if Fromm becomes the clear cut guy, that could very well be a possibility.   I know UGA won't let him go to SEC rivals if it were to come down to a transfer, and he was committed to PSU for quite a bit.    Something significant definitely happened other than just playing time I believe.  If I find out anything more I'll post it. 

It's just crazy how recruiting very well can come back and bite you in the ass.   I feel for UGA fans.  It's not a good look to have a star QB get replaced again year two by another star.   Eason was their guy, then Fromm was their guy, and now they want Fields lol.   

• Like 1

This reminds me a lot of the Fl QB controversy between Jeff Driskel and Jacoby Brissett and again with Driskel and Treon Harris.   Although neither Driskel, Brisset, or Harris had as good a season as Fromm had last year.   Both caused serious divides in the locker room and turned into a lot of racial debate.   Set us back a couple years for sure.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 954gator said:

I cant believe that Fields would come to UGA, but then leave if he didnt start his true freshman year. Hell he can just go if its gonna be like that.

3 hours ago, 954gator said:

Nah I don't think he's leaving, but I guess it all depends on how Saturday plays out.   I think Kirby will go overboard in ensuring that he feels he's given a fair shot.   Which is why I think he is going to play significant minutes.  Now if Fromm becomes the clear cut guy, that could very well be a possibility.   I know UGA won't let him go to SEC rivals if it were to come down to a transfer, and he was committed to PSU for quite a bit.    Something significant definitely happened other than just playing time I believe.  If I find out anything more I'll post it. 

It's just crazy how recruiting very well can come back and bite you in the ass.   I feel for UGA fans.  It's not a good look to have a star QB get replaced again year two by another star.   Eason was their guy, then Fromm was their guy, and now they want Fields lol.   

I think its BS and UGAs "fans" are being babies. Let Smart do his job or they are going to ruin a good thing. The guy got us seconds away from a National Championship (shouldve won if refs make the right call on the blocked punt) last year... Get the fuck off his back.

IMO, Fromm should be the guy until Smart says otherwise. Fields is a true freaking freshman. Fromm led us to a natty last year. --- its that people just want to see Fields play to see how good he is. They want Smart to start him to see, and if he sucks then go back to Fromm until hes ready. But that could shake BOTH players confidence.

These are my thoughts... This all started with 1 game. We got away from the run vs LSU when it was working. Youll notice Fromm had 34 pass attempts against LSU, but didnt have more than 23 vs any other opponent this season and thats how it should be, he does very well working off an established run game.  And Holyfield was mowing people over... Swift was doing well, but when it mattered we got away from it.

This happened because the coaches tried to force Fromm to win the game by passing, instead of letting him manage it by using the run to set Fromm up to pass. Dont get me wrong... Fromm uncharacteristically struggled with accuracy, overthrowing wide open receivers or underthrowing a wide open Demetrius Robertson... He was streaking down the sideline wide freaking open and Fromm underthrew him, making him stop -- turn around -- and he stepped out of bounds before he could secure it. That overthrow to Mecole Hardman early in the game was a bad sign... He had all of LSUs DBs burnt and wouldve walked in... Fromm will bounce back, I think hes fine and people are being too hard on him.

UGAs fans can taste that natty after last year... And that loss really stung after expectations were soaring, and they just want someone to blame... But they are being ridiculous about it... I even heard a few saying Kirby should be fired, how insane is that shit!!! Those guys should just go jump off a plane in the middle of the ocean.

The fans HAVE to realize that all their bitching is whats turning some of these players off... Creating drama when there shouldn't be any. They think they know better and the coach should do what they say... Not saying the coaches are infallible, but if the guy was ready Smart would start him, its not like he doesnt want to win.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

The fans HAVE to realize that all their bitching is whats turning some of these players off... Creating drama when there shouldn't be any. They think they know better and the coach should do what they say... Not saying the coaches are infallible, but if the guy was ready Smart would start him, its not like he doesnt want to win

Heyyyyyy…. nice to meecha', well got damn where you been...???

Under a rock?

LOL

BGW

13 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

I think its BS and UGAs "fans" are being babies. Let Smart do his job or they are going to ruin a good thing. The guy got us seconds away from a National Championship (shouldve won if refs make the right call on the blocked punt) last year... Get the fuck off his back.

IMO, Fromm should be the guy until Smart says otherwise. Fields is a true freaking freshman. Fromm led us to a natty last year. --- its that people just want to see Fields play to see how good he is. They want Smart to start him to see, and if he sucks then go back to Fromm until hes ready. But that could shake BOTH players confidence.

These are my thoughts... This all started with 1 game. We got away from the run vs LSU when it was working. Youll notice Fromm had 34 pass attempts against LSU, but didnt have more than 23 vs any other opponent this season and thats how it should be, he does very well working off an established run game.  And Holyfield was mowing people over... Swift was doing well, but when it mattered we got away from it.

This happened because the coaches tried to force Fromm to win the game by passing, instead of letting him manage it by using the run to set Fromm up to pass. Dont get me wrong... Fromm uncharacteristically struggled with accuracy, overthrowing wide open receivers or underthrowing a wide open Demetrius Robertson... He was streaking down the sideline wide freaking open and Fromm underthrew him, making him stop -- turn around -- and he stepped out of bounds before he could secure it. That overthrow to Mecole Hardman early in the game was a bad sign... He had all of LSUs DBs burnt and wouldve walked in... Fromm will bounce back, I think hes fine and people are being too hard on him.

UGAs fans can taste that natty after last year... And that loss really stung after expectations were soaring, and they just want someone to blame... But they are being ridiculous about it... I even heard a few saying Kirby should be fired, how insane is that shit!!! Those guys should just go jump off a plane in the middle of the ocean.

The fans HAVE to realize that all their bitching is whats turning some of these players off... Creating drama when there shouldn't be any. They think they know better and the coach should do what they say... Not saying the coaches are infallible, but if the guy was ready Smart would start him, its not like he doesnt want to win.

I agree somewhat with what you’re saying, BUT when you do play him...gotta play him in a way he can utilize his full potential.   Let him show what he can do other than running the ball.   And at least let him get a  full drive.   Let’s be real Smart didn’t want this kid to light it up early precisely for this reason.   Unfortunately Fromm had a horrible game and if he’s practicing better or what not gotta give him a chance.   Especially if that’s how you got him here.   The whole “best player will play etc”.  

I’m assumin if the locker room is divided that he ain’t lookin to bad in practice.   I heard they split 50/50 this week in practice.

2 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I agree somewhat with what you’re saying, BUT when you do play him...gotta play him in a way he can utilize his full potential.   Let him show what he can do other than running the ball.   And at least let him get a  full drive.   Let’s be real Smart didn’t want this kid to light it up early precisely for this reason.   Unfortunately Fromm had a horrible game and if he’s practicing better or what not gotta give him a chance.   Especially if that’s how you got him here.   The whole “best player will play etc”.  

I’m assumin if the locker room is divided that he ain’t lookin to bad in practice.   I heard they split 50/50 this week in practice.

As did I.

Id be fine with that... But not at the cost of losing the game. Give them each alternating series... Dont let them come in every other play, give them both entire possessions. And whoever has the hotter hand, play that guy.

@954gator

Heres an article with his reason for the decommitment... "The Depth Chart" ... Was his response...

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/john-emery-jr-offered-up-two-vivid-details-about-his-de-commitment-from-uga/amp

Elijah Holyfield & Brian Herrien are both Juniors.

D'Andre Swift is a Sophomore

James Cook & Zamir White are true freshman.

Theyll ALL be back next season.

Dont believe all the smoke is from a real fire... Its from dry ice left out by a prankster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

@954gator

Heres an article with his reason for the decommitment... "The Depth Chart" ... Was his response...

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/john-emery-jr-offered-up-two-vivid-details-about-his-de-commitment-from-uga/amp

Dont believe all the smoke is from a real fire... Its from dry ice left out by a prankster.

Who hosted the two recent decommits?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 6:13 PM, ECHS05 said:

@954gator

as good as those juniors are, that super-soph and those freshmen are the true future of the Dawgs!!!  That is a scary ass backfield rotation!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sausmann9 said:

as good as those juniors are, that super-soph and those freshmen are the true future of the Dawgs!!!  That is a scary ass backfield rotation!

Morning Pennsylvania,

We are deep at running Dawg. Best to John Emery, a class kid if ever there were, at wherever he decides to play.

As for a quarterback controversy, there is none. And anyone who believe one exists, or is perculating, doesn't have a clue about what is happening at 1 Selig Circle, Athens, Ga. 30602-4368. We didn't need JF to beat Florida, Kentucky, or the Barn, even though he did get in the mix and performed well last Saturday.

As for Jason Haselwood, though we'd like to have him, we're not about to change our 'MO" for the sake of one player.UGA isn't going to promise him 12-15 tosses per game. And thats that. We don't need him that bad. He could be another A J Green, or another Derrick Rodgers or Durrell Robinson.. With DemetriousRobertson, Holliman, Hardeman, and a host of tall rangy wideouts y'all will get familiar with next season, he isn't a certainty to play early anyway. Haselwood has  room for improvement in the blocking part of his game. And apparently he's somewhat averse to having to do so. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 4:53 PM, ECHS05 said:

I cant believe that Fields would come to UGA, but then leave if he didnt start his true freshman year. Hell he can just go if its gonna be like that.

Kids today don’t think they should sit anymore.  And, when are staying only 3 years, missing a year really does matter.