What is your opinions on locking up prison guards from WW2 almost 80 years later

HSFBfan

I just saw an article of a man on trial and is facing up to 10 years in prison which means hell die in prison due to his age. These guards at any of those camps had absolutely no choice but to do their job. Yes we know in all civility and in the US I'm sure they would be considered illegal orders but under a dictatorship you are gonna probably die for defying those orders. 

Do you guys think it's been 80 years, these guys had no choice in the matter and were doing what they were told to do. Heres the article you guys can have it 

https://ml.t-mobile.com/#tmobile/news-plus/worldnews/former-ss-guard-testifies-he-was-aware-of-camp-conditionsef79389b12

The SS were the true believers and worst of the worst.  They ran the camps and the Einsatzgruppen execution squads.

The SS were volunteers up until the latter stages of the war.

We are not talking about questionable military choices here.  We are talking about animals who rounded up men, women and children and herded them into cattle cars off to industrialized death camps (if they didn't simply kill them on the spot).

If I'm not mistaken, these men could have demanded transfers to combat units (I believe that was considered a right of a German soldier, though the SS were not strictly military).

In the end, these men made choices.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, concha said:

The SS were the true believers and worst of the worst.  They ran the camps and the Einsatzgruppen execution squads.

We are not talking about questionable military choices here.  We are talking about animals who rounded up men, women and children and herded them into cattle cars off to industrialized death camps (if they didn't simply kill them on the spot).

If I'm not mistaken, these men could have demanded transfers to combat units (I believe that was considered a right of a German soldier, though the SS were not strictly military).

Wow, conch.  I agree with you here.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, concha said:

It does state in the article he did not volunteer for the SS in this particular case so does he fall into the same category of which your talking about.

Guys like goebbels himmler etc yes were all true believers in the reich and would kill anyone who stood in their way of advancing their way of thinking. 

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

I just saw an article of a man on trial and is facing up to 10 years in prison which means hell die in prison due to his age. These guards at any of those camps had absolutely no choice but to do their job. Yes we know in all civility and in the US I'm sure they would be considered illegal orders but under a dictatorship you are gonna probably die for defying those orders. 

Do you guys think it's been 80 years, these guys had no choice in the matter and were doing what they were told to do. Heres the article you guys can have it 

https://ml.t-mobile.com/#tmobile/news-plus/worldnews/former-ss-guard-testifies-he-was-aware-of-camp-conditionsef79389b12

Must be a slow day at fox/nazi news today?

41 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Must be a slow day at fox/nazi news today?

Must be only slow people can't figure out that it was a 'network provider' T-Mobile news story...🙄

Funny that a phone service provider gets to 'push' news stories to their (somewhat captive audience) customers.....don't you think?

On point of the thread, would think each case could vary considerably in representation, so any 'judgement' would have to be made on a 'case by case' basis......I did like Concha's strong response though, it just can't be guilt by association and must be proven thru each individuals actions...  

9 minutes ago, Troll said:

Must be only slow people can't figure out that it was a 'network provider' T-Mobile news story...🙄

Funny that a phone service provider gets to 'push' news stories to their (somewhat captive audience) customers.....don't you think?

On point of the thread, would think each case could vary considerably in representation, so any 'judgement' would have to be made on a 'case by case' basis......I did like Concha's strong response though, it just can't be guilt by association and must be proven thru each individuals actions...  

Same story from the Sacramento bee

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/article221583825.html

3 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Each should be tried on an individual basis.  If they volunteered or were brutal then they should be jailed.  If they were forced into service and really didn't want to do their job but were coerced then there should be leniency or no charges.  Just me 2 cents.

Just now, ohio said:

Each should be tried on an individual basis.  If they volunteered or were brutal then they should be jailed.  If they were forced into service and really didn't want to do their job but were coerced then there should be leniency or no charges.  Just me 2 cents.

I can agree with this. Sounds fair and reasonable 

50 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I can agree with this. Sounds fair and reasonable 

Interesting position.  So in one example we can have refugees fleeing their circumstances, many of them with their lives in jeopardy, break laws to escape the consequences, and you have no leniency. 

on the otherhand, you have individuals that commit crimes against humanity, in some cases to avoid the consequences of not following those orders, but here you want to consider granting leniency. 

Fundamentally, what is the difference? 

I would try him. If found guilty, I would keep him under house arrest for the rest of his natural life. 

TBH, that is pretty much what I would do in the Bill Cosby case too. Not that the two crimes can be equated, though both are horrible. But given the age and health of the individuals, imprisoning them does not make a whole lot of sense to me. 

5 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Interesting position.  So in one example we can have refugees fleeing their circumstances, many of them with their lives in jeopardy, break laws to escape the consequences, and you have no leniency. 

on the otherhand, you have individuals that commit crimes against humanity, in some cases to avoid the consequences of not following those orders, but here you want to consider granting leniency. 

Fundamentally, what is the difference? 

In the military you have no choice but to follow orders. So these german soldiers under Hitler or any dictator have absolutely no choice but to follow orders or die themselves. 

In the 2nd instance these illegals are not being ordered to break the laws of other nations by breaking thru there borders and demanding things from these countries in which they are there illegally. 

5 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

In the military you have no choice but to follow orders. So these german soldiers under Hitler or any dictator have absolutely no choice but to follow orders or die themselves. 

In the 2nd instance these illegals are not being ordered to break the laws of other nations by breaking thru there borders and demanding things from these countries in which they are there illegally. 

But they are both victim of circumstances.  One is being forced by the military or face death, the other is facing uncertain death by staying in their current condition.  

Both are making decisions that eliminate or reduce the undesired outcome...DEATH!

the bottomline is both made choices.  BTW I don’t agree with the poster that said maybe they shouldn’t even be charged.  

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

But they are both victim of circumstances.  One is being forced by the military or face death, the other is facing uncertain death by staying in their current condition.  

Both are making decisions that eliminate or reduce the undesired outcome...DEATH!

One is doing it illegally and has a choice. The other does not. 

It is not the same and it makes no sense to equate the 2 at all. 

Maybe in your eyes it does and I figure that it does but you'll never convince me those circumstance are the same. 

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

One is doing it illegally and has a choice. The other does not. 

It is not the same and it makes no sense to equate the 2 at all. 

Maybe in your eyes it does and I figure that it does but you'll never convince me those circumstance are the same. 

They both had choices and both acted illegally.  You do understand that choosing death or punishment over duty is also a choice.  That’s called sacrifice. Attempting to escape to avoid carrying out illegal duties would also be a choice. 

Just now, Horsefly said:

They both had choices and both acted illegally.  You do understand that choosing death or punishment over duty is also a choice.  That’s called sacrifice. Attempting to escape to avoid carrying out illegal duties would also be a choice. 

Yeah I guess I can go to the firing squad and get shot myself or be hung for not obeying the orders of the dictatorship.