Can someone explain ......

whiteshoes

Jacksonville Mandarin to me.    This is a team that is 2-3 early, albeit against some pretty good teams in competitive games, then beats a (3-5) Spruce Creek team by 1, loses to a (6-3) Fletcher team the last game of the season and then proceeds to march through the 8A tournament like they borrowed IMG's blue team.    How can someone like myself who tries to see these type of teams coming figure this one out?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, whiteshoes said:

Jacksonville Mandarin to me.    This is a team that is 2-3 early, albeit against some pretty good teams in competitive games, then beats a (3-5) Spruce Creek team by 1, loses to a (6-3) Fletcher team the last game of the season and then proceeds to march through the 8A tournament like they borrowed IMG's blue team.    How can someone like myself who tries to see these type of teams coming figure this one out?

FL must be way down this year.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, whiteshoes said:

They tricked me too. 

I had them in the pick em last week after they surprised the week before. 

Then I went against them again this week and they got me again. Albeit, not by a score that would make me feel like I totally whiffed on the game. 

Definitely a surprise team to win it all in 8A imo though.

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Don't lose any sleep over this. 8A is the 4th best class in the state annually. It's winner will always be irrelevant. 

....according to calpreps Florida 8A is #1 in Florida this year and #11 nationally.....I see nj non public group 4 at #17.

You have anything at all to back up your claim other than your mouth again? I don't guess you do really. You just float from thread to thread saying stupid stuff.

Rank State Division Non-Division W-L

(top 50 teams in division only)
Average Rating

Average Schedule Strength

1 Southern 1 88-24 58.2 49.8
2 Hawaii I-Open 9-3 47.9 47.6
3 Texas 6A 25-6 46.8 30.4
4 Maryland MIAA A 30-10 45.5 28.3
5 Ohio I 132-41 43.4 35.8
6 Southern 2 95-42-1 41.5 34.3
7 Louisiana I 51-26 37.2 34
8 San Diego I 60-17 36.8 31
9 Ohio II 196-74 35.8 24.1
10 Arkansas 7A 21-9 35.1 35.5
11 Florida 8A 107-61 34.8 26.4
12 Illinois 8A 175-28 34.3 23.8
13 Florida 7A 177-74 32.9 23.5
14 Texas 5A-1 77-42 32.6 22
15 Georgia AAAAAAA 69-37 31.6 30.9
16 Wisconsin none 4-0 30.2 10.1
17 New Jersey Non-Public Group 4 46-28 30.1 27.7
18 Texas TAPPS I 43-24 30 27.6
19 Florida 6A 156-90 29.6 22.3
20 Tennessee II-AAA 46-7 28.7 21.2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

I saw Mandarin live three times this year. At Apopka, Wekiva and again last night. Mandarin is a very strong football team. The Fletcher loss was due to several starters being out. But Fletcher was not a bad team. I cannot explain the close game with Spruce Creek. Perhaps it was due to the team not being fully gelled at the time. 

Mandarin's QB is an Alabama commit as a junior. The kid is not a runner, but he has a cannon of an arm and is a very, very good reader of the game. Add poise to that, and he is a premium weapon. Their receiver core are a little small but run good routes and are sure handed. In the state semifinal, they were the first team to accumulate over 200 yards of offense against Wekiva since early in the season. 

In a sense, this Mandarin team reminds me to some degree of Apopka's 2014 run when we had four regular season losses but peaked at the right time. 

I stated this before, but to be honest I would pick Mandarin to beat Lakeland as I think they are more complete. And I saw Lakeland live three times too. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, StingMan44 said:

That 107-61 record is deceiving. Non division opponents means not 8A (which is the biggest division), which means every one of those games was against schools smaller than them. One division should win 2/3rds of games against teams in smaller divisions.

Every class in every state has weak teams.......

The average rating of the Top 50 teams in Florida 8A is 34.8 which isn't bad.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, StingMan44 said:

That 107-61 record is deceiving. Non division opponents means not 8A (which is the biggest division), which means every one of those games was against schools smaller than them. One division should win 2/3rds of games against teams in smaller divisions.

Maybe in a crappy state like Arizona where practically nobody below the largest class is any good.

But 6A to 8A in Florida are fairly close in overall strength most years.

5A also has good enough teams at the top to compete with those above them.

4 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Every class in every state has weak teams.......

The average rating of the Top 50 teams in Florida 8A is 34.8 which isn't bad.

The bottom 25% of 8A is bad to very bad. The rest of 8A in Florida is solid to very good. This year, I regard the top four 8A teams, which includes the two finalists as being firmly in the Florida top 10 regardless of classification. 

10 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I saw Mandarin live three times this year. At Apopka, Wekiva and again last night. Mandarin is a very strong football team. The Fletcher loss was due to several starters being out. But Fletcher was not a bad team. I cannot explain the close game with Spruce Creek. Perhaps it was due to the team not being fully gelled at the time. 

Mandarin's QB is an Alabama commit as a junior. The kid is not a runner, but he has a cannon of an arm and is a very, very good reader of the game. Add poise to that, and he is a premium weapon. Their receiver core are a little small but run good routes and are sure handed. In the state semifinal, they were the first team to accumulate over 200 yards of offense against Wekiva since early in the season. 

In a sense, this Mandarin team reminds me to some degree of Apopka's 2014 run when we had four regular season losses but peaked at the right time. 

I stated this before, but to be honest I would pick Mandarin to beat Lakeland as I think they are more complete. And I saw Lakeland live three times too. 

Mandarin wouldn't be out of any game with that quarterback.

2 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

Maybe in a crappy state like Arizona where practically nobody below the largest class is any good.

But 6A to 8A in Florida are fairly close in overall strength most years.

5A also has good enough teams at the top to compete with those above them.

Huh? Centennial (AZ) isnt in Arizona’s largest division and they still shutout your overrated all-star team last year. You really shouldn’t talk crap to a fan of a team that stuck your “goldmember” up your ass last year. It’s not a good look!!

8 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

The bottom 25% of 8A is bad to very bad. The rest of 8A in Florida is solid to very good. This year, I regard the top four 8A teams, which includes the two finalists as being firmly in the Florida top 10 regardless of classification. 

I don't know what gardenball is talking about........he just makes these wild random comments is most every thread he's a part of..

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

This doesn't refute what I said.

Practically every team below Arizona 6A is, indeed, terrible.

Which doesnt refute what I said.... Every one of 8A’s non division games are against smaller schools....where I’m guessing in 7A, 6A, 5A they arent. That fact means you need to look at 8A’s non division record differently than the others.

3 minutes ago, StingMan44 said:

That fact means you need to look at 8A’s non division record differently than the others.

Not if you know that the three biggest classes are pretty close in terms of strength.

You obviously don't know that so you're just spitballing.

However, I do know that Arizona sucks below 6A.

3 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

Not if you know that the three biggest classes are pretty close in terms of strength.

You obviously don't know that so you're just spitballing.

However, I do know that Arizona sucks below 6A.

Yet one of those teams beat yours. So if they suck, your team must be complete garbage!!