In the greatest upset in NCAA tournament history!...

ORabidOne

The Mississippi State Bulldogs beat the UCONN Huskies tonight, 66-64, on a fifteen foot jump shot with .5 seconds to go in OT! The win broke the longest winning streak in NCAA basketball history, at 111 games! Congrats to the Bulldogs, who will meet SEC rival South Carolina in the NCAA finals!

5 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

The Mississippi State Bulldogs beat the UCONN Huskies tonight, 66-64, on a fifteen foot jump shot with .5 seconds to go in OT! The win broke the longest winning streak in NCAA basketball history, at 111 games! Congrats to the Bulldogs, who will meet SEC rival South Carolina in the NCAA finals!

Is this really you Rab? This post is completely normal!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GlenC7 said:

I'm glad. Enough is enough. It's been UConn and everyone else in women's bb for so long. But they will probably just start another streak. It's amazing how that program has stayed so dominant in this day and age.

On paper they should be much better next year! They only lose their #5 starter and they get 2 top transfers and the #1 Hs player! However the level of play among the top players and other teams is improving every year.

I think UConn was more vulnerable this year than was realized.  They did not have that late-game go to player to rely on and is so huge in basketball.  Late it was like "OK, who is gonna step up?".  Still MSU won that game - and I think the UConn player embellished that flagrant foul and sold it.

34 minutes ago, Bormio said:

I think UConn was more vulnerable this year than was realized.  They did not have that late-game go to player to rely on and is so huge in basketball.  Late it was like "OK, who is gonna step up?".  Still MSU won that game - and I think the UConn player embellished that flagrant foul and sold it.

Not true. If you saw any of the pre-season interviews with Geno, he was the one who said the winning streak will probably end this year and we will have a very tough time repeating as champion this year. In an interview after the game he stated that his team just might not be mature enough to win. As GSB stated this was no huge upset again as Geno stated in his interview after the loss.

5 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

Not true. If you saw any of the pre-season interviews with Geno, he was the one who said the winning streak will probably end this year and we will have a very tough time repeating as champion this year. In an interview after the game he stated that his team just might not be mature enough to win. As GSB stated this was no huge upset again as Geno stated in his interview after the loss.

Agreed but I should have went to the Federer match (dvr and wow what's good one) after the ESPN interview.  Instead I almost lasted thru Geno's press conference, which was a mistake as he just rambled about the same few points constantly.  He was smiling and almost in stitches after the game winner.  Classy guy.  I feel for their opponents next year.  

I think no one believed Geno.  UConn does not duck teams - in fact some good teams stop playing them because they are tired of losing to them.  Props to Dawn Stanley who has scheduled Uconn the last 3 years, twice in Storrs.  3 losses that have helped them.  UConn's streak was a helluva lot more impressive than DLS.

11 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Agreed but I should have went to the Federer match (dvr and wow what's good one) after the ESPN interview.  Instead I almost lasted thru Geno's press conference, which was a mistake as he just rambled about the same few points constantly.  He was smiling and almost in stitches after the game winner.  Classy guy.  I feel for their opponents next year.  

Geno pulls no punches and tells it like it is. Just saw a video from him in which he says while watching tape of the games if he sees any of the girls on the bench not engaged in the game he said they will never see the court. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

It was a great game and UConn losing was great for women's BB.  A team that dominant makes the game stale.

This is an age old debate, however I am among those that think it's good for the women's game. I am in a very small minority group who loves the women game. Having a dominant program like UConn is the only way the average sports fan would even have known the final four was last night. If UConn wasn't so dominant. women's BB would hardly ever be on Sports Center or on anyone's radar. The publicity they get is actually helping grow the sport. The players are getting better and better, and more top coaches are getting into it also.

Horsefly this is certainly not directed at you...but most people just wouldn't watch the women's game if UConn were this dominant or not!

11 minutes ago, Bormio said:

I think no one believed Geno.  UConn does not duck teams - in fact some good teams stop playing them because they are tired of losing to them.  Props to Dawn Stanley who has scheduled Uconn the last 3 years, twice in Storrs.  3 losses that have helped them.  UConn's streak was a helluva lot more impressive than DLS.

It was inevitable that they lost because South Carolina is destined to win so you guys can sweep every championship! Football, Baseball and both Basketball titles, maybe?

51 minutes ago, Ararar said:

It's kind of strange that UConn has run off streaks of 90 and 111 straight games and yet has 6 game losing streak in OT games

Blowouts yield little stress.  That young squad did some weird stuff.  Like blowing last foul in regulation in .9 seconds.  Way to kill that offensive setup.   The kryptonite clusterfuck was the youngster driving the lane wayyyyyyy too early and a solo project.  Wtf was she thinking?  Hold the ball and take the last shot!